What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Marquise Brown, KC (1 Viewer)

Maybe.  Or maybe Jackson's ability to extend plays will play well with Brown's talent set.  Maybe Jackson's offseason work will make him a better passer than what we saw.  Maybe teams stacking 8 in the box will open up a lot of lanes for a guy with that kind of speed to take advantage of.  He has no real competition for targets so if he can pick up the offense he should get plenty of time, and plenty of looks.  On paper, I can see your point completely but I think the book is still not written on what Lamar Jackson can do in the NFL as a passer.  The Ravens seemed to feel no remorse letting Flacco walk, so they saw something that gave them the hope and belief that they had a starting caliber QB.  The Ravens have made a lot of very good decisions over the past several years, and not a ton of bad ones, so maybe some benefit of the doubt is due.  
Maybe. Or he leads the ravens run first offense in receiving with 750 yds and 4 tds for the next 3-4 years. That’s if he holds up physically. It’s probably overstated but what’s going to happen when his 170 lb frame come over the middle and hits a 240 lb linebacker? Think of yourself at 170 lbs- now think of whatever you weigh now hitting 170 lb you. 

Maybe. Or he leads the ravens run first offense in receiving with 750 yds and 4 tds for the next 3-4 years. That’s if he holds up physically. It’s probably overstated but what’s going to happen when his 170 lb frame come over the middle and hits a 240 lb linebacker? Think of yourself at 170 lbs- now think of whatever you weigh now hitting 170 lb you. 
That's totally different argument than Baltimore being the worst possible landing spot, which is what I was responding to.  Not liking him as a prospect due to his size is a different discussion.

I tried to edit my previous post but the feature is not working right now.

ETA - The Ravens just spent a very valuable pick on a WR.  Maybe they dont want to be quite as run-heavy as we think they do.  We are basing a lot on what they did with a rookie QB who very likely was not ready yet.

Fair point @ChuckLiddell. I don’t hate your point, opportunity is there for targets and that’s a key in ffl. Jackson came in late I believe because school hadn’t finished. In the playoffs he played well when they took the kid gloves off. 

ETA - The Ravens just spent a very valuable pick on a WR.  Maybe they dont want to be quite as run-heavy as we think they do.  We are basing a lot on what they did with a rookie QB who very likely was not ready yet.
exactly. 

I think Brown poses exceptional value in ppr. there is a risk for sure, and probably more risk in Baltimore than anywhere else, but at the end of the day the ravens took a wr in round 1 who gets almost 20 yards per play...

Last edited by a moderator:
  The Ravens seemed to feel no remorse letting Flacco walk
Well this part isn’t shocking 😄.

I’m one who marks this down as a bad landing spot but you made some real valid points and now I think if he falls far enough you’d have to consider him, but still not a target for me.

They had nothing at WR.

figured I'd put this here for further discussion 

I'm warming up to him. He has an unimpeded path to being the wr1 on that offense, and I read that there are 225 or so targets unaccounted for. Yes, Jackson threw the ball only 1/3 of the plays when he took over, and his deep ball was atrocious. However, shorter routes are where Brown makes his plays; you just have to get him the ball. Boykins on the opposite side keeps defenses honest with his potential to go deep (weve covered jacksons difficulties in 2018 throwing deep)

You have a guy with ABs route running and Tyreek Hill's speed. Yes, Jackson is not the best qb, but IMO Baltimore didnt spend a 1st round pick on a WR they dont have plans to use effectively. You dont think they know of Jacksons shortcomings in the passing game? 

Browns value dropped significantly landing in Baltimore. Enough where the upside is worth it.

Compare him to a guy like Isabella who has smaller hands, more competition on his team, and body catches. Or compare him to AJ Brown who is in WR purgatory. These are guys drafted over him, although Brown has quite possibly the best path to being the wr1 on his team right out of the gate. that has some significant value imo

He put on 15 pounds in college I believe. Shoulsnt be too hard for him to put on another 10 in the pros and not let it affect his agility. 

I was reading somewhere that the list of 175# wrs havinnsuccess in the NFL is quite a longer list than those under 175. Heres hoping he can put on a few pounds

I did read that Marquise Brown wasn’t able to maintain his workout regime during his recovery from his injury and that contributed to his weight dropping prior to his measurements at the combine. I also recall reading that that Marquise recently claimed in an interview that he was now over 170 lbs. He will never morph into a 190 lb. receiver; however, he won’t need to in order to have success in the NFL, and he fits the recent trend towards smaller, faster receivers. If he can accomplish DeSean Jackson levels of production and can help his NFL team by stressing a defense with his vertical speed, then he will be a worthy draft pick for the Ravens. I do have some concerns centering around Lamar Jackson’s development, but I think the Ravens have provided him with some weapons to help him take the next step. One thing that Marquise Brown isn’t lacking is opportunity for passing targets.

I'm not sure letting Flacco walk was any real sign of confidence in Jackson.....hell the Ravens basically forfeited a playoff game to the Chargers because they didn't want to put Flacco in or they knew he would give them the "go F yourself" if they tried....once Flacco was healthy and they didn't put him back in there was no turning back....that ship had sailed....much like many of Jackson's passes....Flacco was done and it was all in and ride or die with Jackson......and BAL decided to die in the playoffs....IMO I don't have a ton of confidence in Jackson improving as a NFL passer, I just don't think it's there with that guy......Jackson and the running game were a nice story but the Chargers have already showed the blueprint on how to stop them....and if not for some garbage time in comeback mode passes, Jackson would be thought of even worse than he already is....at some point you have to throw the ball in today's NFL....with the 5th year option, Brown is basically tied to the worst passing QB in the league for the foreseeable future....I'll pass.... and it would be about as good as one of Jackson's....

figured I'd put this here for further discussion 
I think if he had AB's route running ability and that speed he would have been the first overall pick in the draft. 

Nobody has AB's route running ability, especially not a rookie.  Even if they are related... 

kittenmittens said:
I think if he had AB's route running ability and that speed he would have been the first overall pick in the draft. 

Nobody has AB's route running ability, especially not a rookie.  Even if they are related... 
Hes the best route runner in this class by a long shot. That, to me, means more than how much he weighs. He could be 185lbs and not be able to create himself open. 

I think he has potential to be a ppr gold mine. I wouldnt take him high, and if I had just one 1st rounder I'd be nervous taking him, but at 1.8 or lower the risk is equal on most of those prospects (at least on my board) but Brown's reward is so much higher. how many NFL wr1s can you get late first round? Especially when so many of these guys were drafted to be, and profile as NFL wr2s

Got him in one league and not sure what to think. I like the upside more than I like the player... he could be really special or not much at all, so I think as a 10th player of the board he's pure value to me. 

Interesting prospect. His film has some electric qualities. No doubt he has the burst and explosiveness to be an impact player in the NFL.

The positives are reminiscent of T.Y. Hilton and DeSean Jackson, two other lean burners who have thrived.

On the other hand you have Paul Richardson and Will Fuller, who are both rail thin like Brown, and who've been unable to stay healthy so far.

Brown is a better overall receiver than Richardson or Fuller, but he's even smaller. Size isn't everything, but there are limits beyond which you have to wonder if a guy can physically hold up to the demands of the job. At 166 pounds, he'll be one of the thinnest and lightest players in the league. The prospect of him getting blasted by safeties and linebackers is chilling.

I like the talent, but I don't know if he will physically be able to survive in the league.

Interesting prospect. His film has some electric qualities. No doubt he has the burst and explosiveness to be an impact player in the NFL.

The positives are reminiscent of T.Y. Hilton and DeSean Jackson, two other lean burners who have thrived.

On the other hand you have Paul Richardson and Will Fuller, who are both rail thin like Brown, and who've been unable to stay healthy so far.

Brown is a better overall receiver than Richardson or Fuller, but he's even smaller. Size isn't everything, but there are limits beyond which you have to wonder if a guy can physically hold up to the demands of the job. At 166 pounds, he'll be one of the thinnest and lightest players in the league. The prospect of him getting blasted by safeties and linebackers is chilling.

I like the talent, but I don't know if he will physically be able to survive in the league.
Isn't Fuller problems in the knee, and same with Richardson? I'm just thinking how one can get strong knees?

J.J. Nelson missed 5 games during rookie year and 1 next for shoulder. He's even smaller if leaner and smaller if you trust wikipedia. It's not about being small, some guys get injured even if they're big. I think how can one handle physical punishment is always the question? I really don't know if size has anything do with it? I wish there was data about it, is there? 

Isn't Fuller problems in the knee, and same with Richardson? I'm just thinking how one can get strong knees?

J.J. Nelson missed 5 games during rookie year and 1 next for shoulder. He's even smaller if leaner and smaller if you trust wikipedia. It's not about being small, some guys get injured even if they're big. I think how can one handle physical punishment is always the question? I really don't know if size has anything do with it? I wish there was data about it, is there? 
How players get tackled has a lot to do with this imo. Marion barber style vs jerry rice basically- the guys that catch the ball and angle themselves to deflect or fall to avoid a big hit vs Hit back and get as much as you can. 

Ravens first-round WR Marquise Brown (foot) will not participate in OTAs.

Brown is still recovering from Lisfranc surgery. It's a minor concern, but the Ravens are just being cautious here. Lisfranc issues are one of the scariest injuries for wide receivers and playmakers who need to use their feet to make sudden cuts. Along with Brown, third-round WR Miles Boykin (hamstring) is expected to be limited next week when OTAs get underway.

SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

May 17, 2019, 10:24 AM ET

I had Harry & Brown as the top WRs in this class & it wasn't close. The landing spot with Brown is a real bummer, though. They've got him for 4 years plus the 5th-year option.

I wouldn't call it a death sentence, but it'll be interesting to see how the Ravens incorporate him into their offense. And it's not like Lamar will be the long-term QB if they don't win.

I'm not worried about Brown's size in today's NFL (given his ability). This cat can ball, but the situation is cause for real concern.

I'm more worried about his foot than his situation.  But combined, he was a Do Not Draft in my leagues.
It will heal eventually, right? Worst case he'll have a red shirt rookie season. Maybe they'll have a passer by year 2.

Brown's whole package as far as straight football is elite. There's real concern with the situation & there's the foot issue, but the Ravens got a potential stud.

The question is can he even come close to his ceiling with Lamar. I think it's doubtful, but like I said, we might be looking at a different QB in a couple years so I don't want to bury Brown long-term.

Brown's whole package as far as straight football is elite. There's real concern with the situation & there's the foot issue, but the Ravens got a potential stud.

The question is can he even come close to his ceiling with Lamar. I think it's doubtful, but like I said, we might be looking at a different QB is a couple years so don't want to bury Brown long-term.
I like Jackson overall and feel like it’s being overstated how bad a situation brown is in. Then I looked at the game logs and see he didn’t complete more than 14 passes in a game and cleared 200 yds once (204). 

Some of this I can chalk up to the ravens approaching Jackson with kid gloves- they were trying to squeak out games and make it to the playoffs, and they did. They also have had the worst wr depth chart in the nfl for a few years. 

I can see a scenario where brown has success early, being targeted on high % passes like screens and drags. The volume is hard to see right now, but if he’s good they will target him with the passes they do throw. 

Lamar was a developmental rookie who was forced into an offense that had been originally designed for a statuesque pocket passer.  They had to redesign the offense mid season, and thrust a rookie QB into it with little runway, and with essentially no viable offensive weapons.  Gus Edwards was the best offensive player for the Ravens down the stretch.  Take that in. 

This season, they can design an offense around Lamar's skillset, with some actual talent around him both in the backfield and out wide, some NFL experience under his belt, and all of the first team reps.  The Ravens front office has a solid track record, and they used a first round pick on him and tossed their super-bowl winning QB into the scrap heap to get Lamar into the starting role.  They then went out and used 2 of their first 3 picks on WRS, signed a proven veteran RB, and drafted another in the 4th (I think Hill was the 4th...maybe 5th).  I am not ready to throw in the towel on Lamar yet, which to me makes Brown a very worthy mid first round selection.

There are QB concerns in a lot of places that to me are more of a concern than this one, but generate little/no attention.  Brady, Brees, Ben, Rivers...these guys are on their last legs.  Nobody is worried about drafting Harry in the top 3, but Brady is 41 years old.  Someone else used this point in another thread but it was valid to me - Will the New England QB situation in 2021 be better than Baltimore's?  Thats a total crap shoot.  But using a mid-late 1 on a WR that was drafted earlier (than Harry) and into a situation with a young first round QB locked in is considered too risky.

QB 1 (12 starts) age- 23, yards- 2193, tds- 7, ints- 7, comp%- 59.4

QB 2 (7 starts) age- 22, yards- 1089, tds- 5, ints- 7, comp%- 54.6

QB3 (7 starts)- age- 21, yards- 1201, tds- 6, ints- 3, comp%- 58.1

QB 1 (12 starts) age- 23, yards- 2193, tds- 7, ints- 7, comp%- 59.4

QB 2 (7 starts) age- 22, yards- 1089, tds- 5, ints- 7, comp%- 54.6

QB3 (7 starts)- age- 21, yards- 1201, tds- 6, ints- 3, comp%- 58.1
Trubisky

Goff

L. Jackson

Not sure what the takeaway is though.  Jackson's top 4 WR targets (J. Brown, Crabtree, Snead and Chis Moore) totaled 115.3 fantasy points in PPR scoring during his 7 starts.  As bad as Goff was, his top 4 targets (Britt, Quick, T. Austin and Pharoh Cooper) totaled 173.9.  I think most would say Jackson had better targets than Goff.  The Ravens have a good team and control the clock with their running game, so even though Jackson was more efficient than Goff, it produced less fantasy points for his WR.  The landing spot is terrible to go along with his size being an issue.  Hollywood just went 2.6 (pick 18) in my latest draft.  I too wouldn't consider him until early 2nd round.

Trubisky

Goff

L. Jackson

Not sure what the takeaway is though.  Jackson's top 4 WR targets (J. Brown, Crabtree, Snead and Chis Moore) totaled 115.3 fantasy points in PPR scoring during his 7 starts.  As bad as Goff was, his top 4 targets (Britt, Quick, T. Austin and Pharoh Cooper) totaled 173.9.  I think most would say Jackson had better targets than Goff.  The Ravens have a good team and control the clock with their running game, so even though Jackson was more efficient than Goff, it produced less fantasy points for his WR.  The landing spot is terrible to go along with his size being an issue.  Hollywood just went 2.6 (pick 18) in my latest draft.  I too wouldn't consider him until early 2nd round.
Yeah. I don’t disagree and like most I have Hollywood much lower than you would think the first wr drafted would be ranked in a vacuum. I was just adding some context that not all hope for Lamar throwing the ball is lost when a couple other guys recently did similar or worse as rookies at older ages and then took big jumps forward when their teams added weapons/better coaching. The Ravens didn’t add anything close to what those teams added for the second years of Goff/Trubisky though. Curious how Trubisky’s wrs fared his first year? He’s probably more similar to Lamar in how he was handled by the Bears coaching staff.

Yeah. I don’t disagree and like most I have Hollywood much lower than you would think the first wr drafted would be ranked in a vacuum. I was just adding some context that not all hope for Lamar throwing the ball is lost when a couple other guys recently did similar or worse as rookies at older ages and then took big jumps forward when their teams added weapons/better coaching. The Ravens didn’t add anything close to what those teams added for the second years of Goff/Trubisky though. Curious how Trubisky’s wrs fared his first year? He’s probably more similar to Lamar in how he was handled by the Bears coaching staff.
Trubisky's supporting cast was much worse, Kendall Wright, Dontrell Inman, Josh Bellamy and Markus Wheaton.  They combined for 84.2 PPR points in his first 7 starts.  His last 7 starts to end his rookie season they had 149.8.

Trubisky

Goff

L. Jackson

That might matter more for a guy like AJ Brown or Harry.  But Marquise isn't necessarily limited this way, he's got the ability to create points out of thin air. 

I like Jackson overall and feel like it’s being overstated how bad a situation brown is in. Then I looked at the game logs and see he didn’t complete more than 14 passes in a game and cleared 200 yds once (204). 

Some of this I can chalk up to the ravens approaching Jackson with kid gloves- they were trying to squeak out games and make it to the playoffs, and they did. They also have had the worst wr depth chart in the nfl for a few years. 

I can see a scenario where brown has success early, being targeted on high % passes like screens and drags. The volume is hard to see right now, but if he’s good they will target him with the passes they do throw. 

Lamar was a developmental rookie who was forced into an offense that had been originally designed for a statuesque pocket passer.  They had to redesign the offense mid season, and thrust a rookie QB into it with little runway, and with essentially no viable offensive weapons.  Gus Edwards was the best offensive player for the Ravens down the stretch.  Take that in. 

This season, they can design an offense around Lamar's skillset, with some actual talent around him both in the backfield and out wide, some NFL experience under his belt, and all of the first team reps.  The Ravens front office has a solid track record, and they used a first round pick on him and tossed their super-bowl winning QB into the scrap heap to get Lamar into the starting role. 
This is where I land with this.  I am not convinced Jackson is the liability that many are making him out to be, and even if he is (1) They can scheme around that for the short term (2) They will fix that in the longer term.  Brown can outlast a bad QB before he starts losing value.  For me this is the best thing that could happen, because I wasn't in a position to draft him anywhere if he lands in GB or NYJ.

I feel pretty similarly to this spot as I do with AJ Brown in TEN, except Marquise has no one to share targets with and if TEN ever get things going they still have a 1a/1b scenario.

Goff and Trubisky did not get thrust into offenses that had been designed around other QBs with the polar opposite skillsets as theirs.  I dont think that should be overlooked here.  And while maybe the Ravens receivers were arguably better than theirs, they still were not good.  

I am not here to beat the Lamar Jackson drum.  I just think its far too early to pass judgment.  I passed judgement on Goff after his first year and turned down an opportunity to pick him up for an early 3rd in the next draft.  Woops.

It will heal eventually, right? 
not a guarantee

ETA: likely, but not guaranteed. there is always the chance for reinjury and/or further surgery with these things. I wouldnt be worried currently as there hasnt been negative news yet and he reportedly checked out medically

You're touting the benefits of a redshirt year for injury, but it's pretty easy to show you a recent instance where that didn't work, on the same team at the same position.
We've since learned Perriman isnt very good. Is his not-very-goodness related to his injury?

Ravens first-round WR Marquise Brown (foot) is targeting a training camp return.

Brown is sitting out OTAs and minicamp. There hasn't been much concern over him despite being less than five months removed from Lisfranc surgery. Brown is young enough to make a full recovery, but he carries some re-injury risk. With Michael Crabtree and John Brown gone, the Ravens are counting on Brown and third-rounder Miles Boykin for heavy targets.

SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter

Jun 1, 2019, 1:02 PM ET

I'm more worried about his foot than his situation.  But combined, he was a Do Not Draft in my leagues.
Lis Franc injuries rose when they switched to turf across the league. It was part of a big study by the NFL on turf toes. (Same study, everyone spoke of turf toe)

For months, it's more "don't step on my foot" worry than anything else. Leveon was fine with it. It's mid-foot and just a bear to get rolling again with setbacks from strains. Once he's rolling, he should be good to go. 

Pretty common injury

I like Marquise Brown's talents especially his unquestionable speed.  However, it's his QB that I'm rather dubious on his passing skills, which need a major refinement.  Plus it's open secret on Baltimore Ravens' offensive identity, which is high dose of rushing.

Ravens first-round WR Marquise Brown (Lisfranc surgery) was cleared for individual drills.

It's the first time he's practiced this offseason. Brown didn't do much, but this is a step in the right direction. The expectation all along has been Brown would be ready for training camp. Brown carries some re-injury risk, but he's going to be the Ravens' No. 1 wideout if he can stay healthy.

SOURCE: Jamison Hensley on Twitter

Jun 12, 2019, 2:00 PM ET

Ravens coach John Harbaugh is hopeful first-round WR Marquise Brown (Lisfranc) will be ready for camp.

Brown was cleared for individual drills this week, but he still has a way to go in his recovery. According to The Athletic's Jeff Zrebiec, Brown has yet to begin running full speed. The good news for Brown is the Ravens do not have many other quality options at receiver. Assuming he is able to get healthy, he should open the season as a starter.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Jun 13, 2019, 11:46 AM ET

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports Marquise Brown (NFI, Lisfranc) is "progressing well and should be back on the field in a few weeks."

That doesn't tell us much. Brown is beginning camp on the active/NFI list after coach John Harbaugh said last month he hoped to have his first-round pick for the beginning of camp. It sounds like the kind of issue that could cost Brown the entire preseason. Week 1 still appears realistic, however.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 18, 2019, 6:27 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread