What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's with the hate on e sports? (1 Viewer)

I don’t care if people want to play video games competitively. I think it’s even fun to watch in some instances. However, it’s not a ####### sport. Call if competitive gaming or something. As far as parents go, they don’t want their kid thinking he’s going to be a millionaire because he plays Fortnite and reads message boards with naked Asian cartoons. They’d like their kid to move out at some point. 

Oh, that context. Yeah, it's very similar to trying to turn pro in traditional sports.

Nice paycheck, a limit approaching 0% of players make it pro, have to spend time practicing like you would for a travel team, your game of choice will probably die* before you get old enough to support yourself with it.

Gotta be the right age to play at the time of a game's release, extremely talented, and commit 100% of your free time.

*this is nothing like trying to make it in traditional sports, and a point that gets overlooked by those with the aspiration to take it pro

Last edited by a moderator:
Ofc Fortnite is not a sport, it's an esport.
Sport should not be in the name. It’s dumb. Just call it competitive gaming. Is checkers a board game sport?   If you want to go the Webster’s route:

noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Look, I enjoy video games. You’ll find me all over the video game thread, the RDR2 thread, the Dark Souls games threads, etc...  They are a great stress reliever, but they are not a sport. This isn’t me being a sport elitist or anything either, it’s just completely goofy to call it a sport. 

Sport should not be in the name. It’s dumb. Just call it competitive gaming. Is checkers a board game sport?   If you want to go the Webster’s route:

noun

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Look, I enjoy video games. You’ll find me all over the video game thread, the RDR2 thread, the Dark Souls games threads, etc...  They are a great stress reliever, but they are not a sport. This isn’t me being a sport elitist or anything either, it’s just completely goofy to call it a sport. 
I never called it a sport tbqf.

I never called it a sport tbqf.
My first sentence says “sport should not be in the name.”  You called it esport.  Everyone knows exactly what’s being implied. If you want to discuss the goofy name, let’s discuss. If we’re going to circle around it for an hour, I’ll pass. 

*sigh*

The way the word was formed is, yes, a portmanteau. Just like many other words, it has evolved to take on its own definition.

I think the differentiator is when kids play a sport competitively, at least they are getting exercise rather than not moving. 

Playing a sport, depending upon the level, will open other doors in life. I am not sure esports has that kind of pull yet. 

Breaking News: Fantasy football enthusiasts create new revolutionary marketable industry in video game competition called "egaming."

When reached for comment, founder bigmarc27 clarified, "This is NOTHING like esports. This is egaming."

Breaking News: Fantasy football enthusiasts create new revolutionary marketable industry in video game competition called "egaming."

When reached for comment, founder bigmarc27 clarified, "This is NOTHING like esports. This is egaming."
Are you being purposeful obtuse or do you just like to argue?

I think the differentiator is when kids play a sport competitively, at least they are getting exercise rather than not moving. 

Playing a sport, depending upon the level, will open other doors in life. I am not sure esports has that kind of pull yet. 
Meh, it's a different set of things they are exercising.  Strategy, memory, quickly processing information.  The top esports players have all kinds of endorsements and such, it just may not open the doors you're used to them opening.

Meh, it's a different set of things they are exercising.  Strategy, memory, quickly processing information.  The top esports players have all kinds of endorsements and such, it just may not open the doors you're used to them opening.
The bold is probably true but I am pretty sure physical sports require strategy, memory  and quickly processing information when played at any kind of competitive level. 

The bold is probably true but I am pretty sure physical sports require strategy, memory  and quickly processing information when played at any kind of competitive level. 
Yes. Professional esports is harder to break into not because of the skills necessary but by virtue of the lack of space in the market for more than a handful of teams/players at the top.

Ok, I have solved the usual argument about the naming convention of the activity. To the topic on hand, @wazoo11 did you have any specific article or series of posts to reference or was it that you just needed to put it out there?

Ok, I have solved the usual argument about the naming convention of the activity. To the topic on hand, @wazoo11 did you have any specific article or series of posts to reference or was it that you just needed to put it out there?
I'm just bored at work and forced to listen to Chris manix bash e sports.

I'm just bored at work and forced to listen to Chris manix bash e sports.
Never heard of the guy, but I assume his ranting is the usual fodder.

My argument against trying to make a living that way is that I see young and impressionable people that have fairly personal access to the lives of an extremely elite tier of very lucky successful young people, all while being shoveled a pipe dream by a business looking to make as much money off them (the kids watching and playing) as possible.

Maybe some parents are trying to protect their kids from the same thing. But most hear the word "sport" in "esports" and don't make it past that, as evidenced...

Oh, that context. Yeah, it's very similar to trying to turn pro in traditional sports.

Nice paycheck, a limit approaching 0% of players make it pro, have to spend time practicing like you would for a travel team, your game of choice will probably die* before you get old enough to support yourself with it.

Gotta be the right age to play at the time of a game's release, extremely talented, and commit 100% of your free time.

*this is nothing like trying to make it in traditional sports, and a point that gets overlooked by those with the aspiration to take it pro
I think this is a pretty well-put answer.

Even the most premier esports out there, the Counter Strikes and DOTAs and such of the world, with genuine long-lasting staying power and worldwide player bases, still have an incredibly limited financial structure.  Here is a ranking of the official earnings of Counter Strike players dating back over the past 6+ years:  https://www.esportsearnings.com/games/245-counter-strike-global-offensive/top-players.  The top 5 players all play for the same team (Astralis, the world's #1), and the next 4 play or recently-played for MIBR (currently world #4).  Scroll down the list.  Is there money to be made?  Sure, if you're truly elite, play for a truly elite team, and can grind out 20 tournaments a year at all corners of the earth.  

But scroll down the list a bit more.  Only 217 players have made $50,000 or more playing the game in the past 6 years.  Now, don't get me wrong, $50,000 is a lot of money for playing a video game.  But this a game with between 550 - 850 thousand players at a given time.  217 have made actual money, and even then, you're not living off that kind of money alone and living a comfortable life if you're making ~$20,000/year.  Comparatively, there are nearly 1,700 NFL players in a given year, and a player earning the bare minimum rookie salary of $465,000 would be immediately the 33rd highest-paid CS player of the past 6 years, ahead of some all-time legends like forest and Get Right, and the unquestionable best player in the world today, Simple.  Note that this doesn't include salaries or endorsements, but you probably don't have much in the way of those anyway if you're not in the top 200-300 in the world.

The commitment required, combined with the luck of being in the right place at the right time when a game hits it huge and gets a huge prize pool (see: Fortnite pros), is just absurd.  

http://www.midlandathletics.com/roster/0/43.php

There is a local college that has Esports as a Varsity level sport - offering scholarships for that sport.  Now this particular college likes to tout the percentage of their student body that participates in Varsity level competition.  I don't know if this has become a thing at other colleges/universities.  Hey anyway to get help with tuition costs is a good thing.

Disagree to an extent.  But obviously some/many of the popular steamers/youtubers are prolific at multiple games.  While not an athletic event, being able to react quickly and mash buttons in the right order is transferable from one game to another, just like being able to run fast or jump high are skills transferable from one sport to another.

Competition level gamers don't hold a candle earning wise to the twitch streamer types.  The big time streamers make just stupid money.  

That being said some people REALLY get triggered by the word sports behind the letter e.  The entire industry needs a new name, but i suppose it's too late.  

Disagree to an extent.  But obviously some/many of the popular steamers/youtubers are prolific at multiple games.  While not an athletic event, being able to react quickly and mash buttons in the right order is transferable from one game to another, just like being able to run fast or jump high are skills transferable from one sport to another.
I'm not even dipping my toe into the world of content creation with what I'm laying out here... but the prime age window for most pro gaming right now is 18-24, and then your reaction time is too slow to hang beyond 28ish (with the exception of a couple of god gamers). Obviously games that don't rely on reaction time you can have a longer career, ie Hearthstone (and soon MtG). You pick a game that you're great at, git gud, make money, retire to the pastures of daily streaming. Unless you're playing the same game in a series, like going from StarCraft to StarCraft 2, there isn't enough transferable experience to make a truly successful transition between games, and the most important thing in being a pro is time spent practicing and working on your approach to the metagame.

Competition level gamers don't hold a candle earning wise to the twitch streamer types.  The big time streamers make just stupid money.  

That being said some people REALLY get triggered by the word sports behind the letter e.  The entire industry needs a new name, but i suppose it's too late.  
You're adding another 0% on top of the original 0% here. :D

Feels like this is the same banter from 15 years ago with poker.  Let's not discuss whether poker is an entertaining watch, let's freak out because it's being televised on ESPN. 

My nephew paces around the living room when he plays Fortnite.  He fake dribbles and shoots like he is taking a three in between plays in The NBA PS4 game.  Practices spin moves when he's playing Maddens.  I think he gets more exercise playing the PS 4 than he does playing baseball.

Not saying it's not hard, and the money in it is huge and only getting bigger, but "sports" in the name is kind of dumb. That the teams all dress in the same outfit is kind of funny to me for some reason as well.

IIRC a couple years back there was some big gaming competition during the same week of The Masters. The winners of the gaming thing made a ton more than the winner of The Masters did.

Not saying it's not hard, and the money in it is huge and only getting bigger, but "sports" in the name is kind of dumb. That the teams all dress in the same outfit is kind of funny to me for some reason as well.
What's your thoughts on "Football" in Fantasy Football?  

Users who are viewing this thread