What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Louis L' Amour, John Wayne, Hank Williams (1 Viewer)

ZenoRazon

Footballguy
There is just something about  a good western.  You vs the bad guys,  you know she loves you, maybe not like your horse, but close.  And nobody sets a better stage for that than the great Louis L' Amour. He nails it.  A few are close like Luke Short, Zane Grey, Max Brand.

Then there's J.T.Edson  and his Dusty Fog saga.  Fog a war hero who just happens to be he fastest draw there is, and.....a judo expert, all at 5-6.  He runs with Mark Counter, who is massive and never lost a fight, the ladies adore him.  Then there is The Isabel  Kid, part indian who has no equal as a tracker or in a knife fight.

Why no movie?

How can you beat Stage Coach, Red River, The Seachers when it comes to the western movie?  The Duke, no equal as a cowboy (and Ghanghi Khan, ha!)

While Hank Williams came after Jimmie Rodgers, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, he is "Da Man"  when it comes to country music,  his blend of blues with hillbillie....perfect.

There was a time we had  Cheyenne, Have Gun Will Travel, Sugarfoot, Wagon Train, The Rifleman, Wanted Dead or Alive, Rawhide, Bonanza, The Lone Ranger, Lash LaRue, The Cisco Kid, and on and on on TV.   We got Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood  from the TV western.

No I'm no cowboy, have never rode the range, don't own cowboy boots or a cowboy hat, hell. never been to Texas.  I just like all that above anyway.

The last fight I got into was at a rodeo dance, my buddy didn't tell me she was married.  So when hubby and his friends show up......

Sometimes it just has to be.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V41gDDWEPso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMqKv7BOg_s

Others times....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quCf30oro_4

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you know the rifleman (chuck conners) played for the dodgers?

Also, if you’re talking westerns and actors, you have to mention Lee Van Cleef, who was the villain in everything, the Alan Rickman of the time.  Let’s also hear it for those other guys whose names we don’t know, but all show up on every show as an extra. Same bad guys show up in every dang town, different show. 

Also, if you’re talking westerns and actors, you have to mention Lee Van Cleef, who was the villain in everything, the Alan Rickman of the time.  Let’s also hear it for those other guys whose names we don’t know, but all show up on every show as an extra. Same bad guys show up in every dang town, different show. 
Yep, knew about Conners as a Dodger.

If ever....rat face.....fit, he was Lee Van Cleef.  He is one of those you watch the movie/tv show because he's in it. One of my favs.

Making a whole career in TV/movies and nobody knows your name, ha!  I can think of 8-10 and have no idea who they were/are.

I did find out the big guys name and there;s Spock.

After the fight scene....see ya~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQAwQEJCyg

All the time you're thinking......wait until Hoss shows up.

I had a friend from Colgate that loved him some Seton Hall. What a great Big East team while it lasted!  Almost won the national championship vs. Michigan, I think.  
‘89 lost to Michigan in OT in NCAA Tourney finals. One of the best days I ever had in college. They’ve had some suscessful seasons since then (including this year) but nothing close to that of course.

The baseball team was also very good during that time frame and featured Hall of Famer Craig Biggio (playing catcher), and future pros Mo Vaughn, Jon Valentin, John Morton - and Martese Robinson who lead the nation in batting average but never got out of the As minor leagues.

‘89 lost to Michigan in OT in NCAA Tourney finals. One of the best days I ever had in college. They’ve had some suscessful seasons since then (including this year) but nothing close to that of course.

The baseball team was also very good during that time frame and featured Hall of Famer Craig Biggio (playing catcher), and future pros Mo Vaughn, Jon Valentin, John Morton - and Martese Robinson who lead the nation in batting average but never got out of the As minor leagues.
Mo Vaughn and Valentin were on my favorite team at the same time. Very good stuff. I think Mo or Valentin went to Trinity-Pawling in high school, actually. 

Sad that I know that, but I'm a NE boarding school guy.  

rockaction said:
Mo Vaughn and Valentin were on my favorite team at the same time. Very good stuff. I think Mo or Valentin went to Trinity-Pawling in high school, actually. 

Sad that I know that, but I'm a NE boarding school guy.  
Mo Vaughn broke SHU’s career home run record during his freshman year. He was a third baseman in college. 

The baseball games were fun because they were played in the equivalent of a HS field and we’d bring a keg into the outfield bleachers area and stand behind the fence abusing the OFer for the opposing teams while winning 15-2.

I don’t remember it too well, that and the Bad Boys titles are my first real sports memories.
That was a stacked Michigan team that sent like 4 guys to the pros against a rag tag Seton Hall team (who had a ringer in Australian Pro Andrew Gaze) that knocked off powerhouses UNLV, Indiana and Duke on the way to the Championship game.

Holy thread hijack, Batman.

That was a stacked Michigan team that sent like 4 guys to the pros against a rag tag Seton Hall team (who had a ringer in Australian Pro Andrew Gaze) that knocked off powerhouses UNLV, Indiana and Duke on the way to the Championship game.

Holy thread hijack, Batman.
The fun is tossing stuff out here and watching where it goes, couldn't care less about staying on a topic.  

When the Eagles meet the Bears we will have the two smallest RB;s in the game in Tyrik Cohen and Darren Sproles.  But they weren't the first mini mights.

Howard Stevens

Lionel "Little Train" James

Mini Mac Herron

Mini Max Anderson

And the great Buddy Young who was 5-4 170 pounds a world class sprinter and the first really fast, quick, agile, elusive RB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHgSEFZlPvY

Mean Gene Okerland has died, that is a true bummer.  He was the best at what he did, he was never replaced. His bits with Hogan were classic.

RIP Mean Gene

Mo Vaughn broke SHU’s career home run record during his freshman year. He was a third baseman in college. 

The baseball games were fun because they were played in the equivalent of a HS field and we’d bring a keg into the outfield bleachers area and stand behind the fence abusing the OFer for the opposing teams while winning 15-2.
That's awesome. You went to Seton Hall and watched baseball games when Mo and Valentin were there? If so, that's crazy.  

My top 5 Westerns: 

1. High Noon

2. The Searchers

3. Unforgiven 

4. The Wild Bunch

5. The Big Country

That's awesome. You went to Seton Hall and watched baseball games when Mo and Valentin were there? If so, that's crazy.  
Yes - I was a freshman when Mo Vaughn was. My friend Steve (who I roomed with my final three years) was in a suite with Mo freshman year. Valentin and Biggio were older but still there.

My top 5 Westerns: 

1. High Noon

2. The Searchers

3. Unforgiven 

4. The Wild Bunch

5. The Big Country
1.The Searchers

2.Butch CassIdy and the Sundance Kid

3.The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

4.Red River

5.The Big Country

1.The Searchers

2.Butch CassIdy and the Sundance Kid

3.The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

4.Red River

5.The Big Country
This is a very good list as well. I’m glad there’s someone besides me that appreciates The Big Country. Arguably the best score for a western ever, Burl Ives and Chuck Connors are great villians, and Gregory Peck might be the most quintessential American screen hero ever (only rivaled by Gary Cooper in High Noon.) 

Red River always cracks me up because the scene in which John Wayne and Monty Clift compare the sizes of their guns is so incredibly gay. 

This is a very good list as well. I’m glad there’s someone besides me that appreciates The Big Country. Arguably the best score for a western ever, Burl Ives and Chuck Connors are great villians, and Gregory Peck might be the most quintessential American screen hero ever (only rivaled by Gary Cooper in High Noon.) 

Red River always cracks me up because the scene in which John Wayne and Monty Clift compare the sizes of their guns is so incredibly gay. 
Burl Ives is fantastic in the flick, he nails it. Then to watch him sing, what a contrast.

I wouldn't have thought Conners could have pulled that off like he did.

Peck simply Peck.

And the Celtics. And was the first person to shatter a backboard.

Them and Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys my fav western groups.

But, I;ve never seen them live, lucky you.
They were fun to see but it got old after a while. It was one of those go to things when visitors from out of town came in. I ended up seeing them quite a bit when I first moved out here. I have been here for 30 years now and the out of town visitors have slowed way down so its been a long while since I saw them. I honestly dont know if they still do their thing at the Triple C.

They were fun to see but it got old after a while. It was one of those go to things when visitors from out of town came in. I ended up seeing them quite a bit when I first moved out here. I have been here for 30 years now and the out of town visitors have slowed way down so its been a long while since I saw them. I honestly dont know if they still do their thing at the Triple C.
Cool Water , the tune that turned me on to the, then here came Tumbling Tumbleweed. 

Users who are viewing this thread