Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Faust

Dynasty: WR Riley Ridley, Georgia

Georgia junior WR Riley Ridley declared for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Ridley made the announcement over Twitter, and is one of several Georgia players that are expected to declare for the draft soon. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound wideout caught 43 passes for 599 yards with nine touchdowns, and while those numbers aren't going to wow anyone, his raw talent is considered among the best at the position. The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard compared him to Michael Thomas -- a more raw version to be fair -- so if Ridley tests as well as many expect, he could be among the first few wideouts selected in 2019. Jan 4 - 4:20 PM

Source: Riley Ridley on Twitter

The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard views Georgia junior WR Riley Ridley as a "slightly more raw Michael Thomas."

Ledyard writes that while Ridley is not quite as polished at this stage of his development as Thomas at a similar point, he sees them as being on a "similar plane as prospects." The analyst is intrigued by the forward steps Ridley has taken in development since signing on with the Bulldogs, highlighting that the 6-foot-1, 198-pound junior's route-running "has made major leaps this season." Concluded Ledyard, "Growth isn’t linear for everyone, but Ridley’s improvement over his time at Georgia is a good indicator that his best may also be yet to come in the NFL." He believes Ridley could draw consideration as the top receiving prospect in the pool come the spring. 

Tue, Oct 16, 2018 07:20:00 PM

Source: The Draft Network

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I don’t get the hype here at all

GMTA

You changed your avatar

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I don’t get the hype here at all

Rarely is the younger brother the better player in the NFL. That's just a note you all may want to make. Of course Calvin put up very good #s for ATL and I think this could be a brother combo where both will be good for a while.

Riley Ridley - WR -  Bulldogs

The Athletic's Dane Brugler projects Georgia WR Riley Ridley as "a better pro than college pass catcher."

Ridley (6'1/198) only had a 43-599-9 receiving line at Georgia in 2018, but that's not overly concerning for Brugler because of Ridley's tape. A less dynamic version of his older brother (Calvin Ridley), Riley Ridley shows excellent route running and plays with a muscular frame. Ridley can also win in the NFL on double-moves and by catching with his hands (not his chest), but his lack of big-time production could keep him out of Round 1.

Source: The Athletic 

Feb 1 - 9:18 PM

Riley Ridley - WR -  Bulldogs

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah calls Georgia WR Riley Ridley the best route runner in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Jeremiah sneaks Ridley into his top-32 in large part to his precise cuts and set-ups on his routes. This opinion has been held by other analysts in the community despite below-average production at Georgia. As a junior, Ridley only caught 43 passes across 14 games, which would make him a statistical outlier if he were to be a productive NFL player. However, Ridley did score nine touchdowns as he consistently broke down corners on double moves and won in the red zone on his limited targets. The debated prospect is a projected Day 2 selection.

Source: NFL on Twitter 

Feb 10 - 5:37 PM

Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook Excerpt:

6. Stock Up

Georgia wide receiver Riley Ridley is more than the brother of last year's first-rounder Calvin; he's also the best route-runner I've studied in the 2019 class of wide receivers.

Ridley is smooth through his breaks and shows the ability to drop his weight and transition to breaking routes. The subtle tricks of route running look natural to him. And while he doesn't have a huge frame (6'2", 200 lbs) his technique and athleticism should allow him to be an early starter for NFL teams. He's polished, tough, physical and smart.

A good showing at the scouting combine could push Ridley into the first round.

Over the last few years, route running is one of the things that seems to stand out to me as a big factor in the transition from college to pros. I am starting to focus more on those guys when I draft WR's. I agree with most in here that Ridley doesn't seem all that impressive, but I may take a shot based on the comments of his route running alone.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kutta said:

Over the last few years, route running is one of the things that seems to stand out to me as a big factor in the transition from college to pros. I am starting to focus more on those guys when I draft WR's. I agree with most in here that Ridley doesn't seem all that impressive, but I may take a shot based on the comments of his route running alone.

Route running is huge! PFF does a route report every as part of their premium package. I adjust my ranking a bit based on the WR’s route running abilities/knowledge.

Tex

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kutta said:

Over the last few years, route running is one of the things that seems to stand out to me as a big factor in the transition from college to pros.

Agree and have made a few posts around here saying the same thing. It's something I've only been tracking since the year Odell came out but it's pretty compelling evidence. And while I know most of this discussions we have this time of year is dynasty related it's even more critical to me to identify the best route runners for redraft, they are the WR's that are NFL ready.  I've heard various people say Ridley or Brown are two best route runners in this draft and like you it's led me to being more open to taking a shot on Ridley over a more dynamic looking player, which I've already done in redrafts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, menobrown said:

Agree and have made a few posts around here saying the same thing. It's something I've only been tracking since the year Odell came out but it's pretty compelling evidence. And while I know most of this discussions we have this time of year is dynasty related it's even more critical to me to identify the best route runners for redraft, they are the WR's that are NFL ready.  I've heard various people say Ridley or Brown are two best route runners in this draft and like you it's led me to being more open to taking a shot on Ridley over a more dynamic looking player, which I've already done in redrafts.

Do you have a particular method for evaluating route running?  It just seems like such a hard thing to get your arms around.  I'm not a tape hound, feel I do a pretty good job of developing gut feelings about guys and weighing them against their landing spots and have been pretty successful in rookie drafts over the years, but I'm not one who can sit and break down tape at a deep level.

Would you mind sharing your process a bit?

4 hours ago, menobrown said:

I scoff at the idea that there has to be a "great route runner" in every class.  I don't see it this year.  One of the best in recent years was Amari Cooper and I don't see that type of route running by anyone, let alone Riley Ridley.  I think people are labeling him that way because of his brother and projection to be a good route runner than what they've actually seen.  I don't see anyone in this class that stands out a lot in terms of their route running, but there are a lot of great WR's.  

6 hours ago, skinfanjon said:

Do you have a particular method for evaluating route running?  It just seems like such a hard thing to get your arms around.  I'm not a tape hound, feel I do a pretty good job of developing gut feelings about guys and weighing them against their landing spots and have been pretty successful in rookie drafts over the years, but I'm not one who can sit and break down tape at a deep level.

Would you mind sharing your process a bit?

Not good enough to figure that out on my own I'm afraid and for sure not with the resources I have available. I think without All-22 college tape it's kind of hard for anyone but I've also made several posts in the last month or so that I'm struggling just to get normal game video's this year more then past years. My go to was NFL Draft Breakdown. So a hard thing to grade is harder for me then ever this year.

With at least a few full game clips I think I can get kind of idea but it's still something I'd consider my major scouting weakness. Watching film it's easy to see if a WR has a varied route tree and and you can get some kind of basic idea how that WR runs some routes but I think whatever I come up with pales in comparison to someone breaking down WR's with more tape and time to study. 

I'd easily tell you WR's are my most difficult thing to study an scout but I think so for NFL as well. You see them missing that position a lot in first round and  I posted  in another thread but I recall what Greg Ballard said last year that WR's were hardest position to scout and unlike me he was not really into route running. He said all he wanted to look at with WR's was film cutups that show them against press man coverage because most of the time otherwise they were just allowed to run free.

So long story short I need help on grading route running and more then anything else.  Charts and studies that show production from different parts of the field help to know how varied a route runner a player might but most of all I rely on ex-scouts to point me in the right direction on route running.  Some traits will jump out at you, like it's really easy to see how shifty Marquise Brown is in creating separation, but when I heard an ex-scout say say and so is the best route runner he has studied in the draft that holds more water then my own personal opinion. This is why you won't see me say "so an so is the best route runner in the draft" but you will see me use phrases like "I heard"  or "people are saying" so and so is one of the best route runners in the draft.  And when I said earlier I'd been tracking best route runners since Odell came out I was referring to fact I keep tabs on who the few ex-scouts I listen to have been saying they felt or heard were the best route runners. 

Edited by menobrown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Zyphros said:

I scoff at the idea that there has to be a "great route runner" in every class.  I don't see it this year.  One of the best in recent years was Amari Cooper and I don't see that type of route running by anyone, let alone Riley Ridley.  I think people are labeling him that way because of his brother and projection to be a good route runner than what they've actually seen.  I don't see anyone in this class that stands out a lot in terms of their route running, but there are a lot of great WR's.  

It's all relative. If I said I was looking for exceptional route runners in every draft that would be one thing,but when someone is looking for the best route runners in a draft it's all relative.

But saying that ever since I heard Marquise Brown labeled as one of the best route runners I paid more attention to trying to study that from him and he looks pretty impressive and I totally think you are wrong on why scouts feel like Ridley is a good route runner, if the people I pay attention to where that ignorantly simplistic I'd have not been paying attention to them for this long.

It's all relative. If I said I was looking for exceptional route runners in every draft that would be one thing,but when someone is looking for the best route runners in a draft it's all relative.

But saying that ever since I heard Marquise Brown labeled as one of the best route runners I paid more attention to trying to study that from him and he looks pretty impressive and I totally think you are wrong on why scouts feel like Ridley is a good route runner, if the people I pay attention to where that ignorantly simplistic I'd have not been paying attention to them for this long.

Do you have any analysts whose opinion you place a lot of stock in?

We will know years down the road, but even considering him and Hollywood being the best 2 route runners in this class, doesn't exactly speak volumes to me.  I think they're both explosive enough that making cuts makes it seem that way, but I don't see great routes. 

On a sidenote but somewhat on topic; Isn't there a website that charts the type of routes and how often they're run for prospects?  I remember seeing some tree's last year that had that for some top prospects.  

I totally think you are wrong on why scouts feel like Ridley is a good route runner, if the people I pay attention to where that ignorantly simplistic I'd have not been paying attention to them for this long.

Not much after the catch and arrested for marijuana possession in March of 2017.  Two red flags.