Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man In The Box

***Seattle @ Dallas***

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, culdeus said:

I'm pretty sure of the 52 guys (Well now 51) available, 49 can put a ball sideways on a tee and kick it hard into the ground.  It might not go perfectly 10 yards but it would have been better than whatever abortion that was.  

Yeah, I'm guessing this isn't right.

He is All-Pro punter this year and he's been doing that drop kick thing his whole life as he grew up playing Aussie Rules. He just screwed the pooch there, it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoBirds said:

Until you realize you have to try to beat Brees twice in a season if that happens. 

Is what it is for me fwiw

I can't root for the Eagles no matter who they're playing 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, culdeus said:

I'm pretty sure of the 52 guys (Well now 51) available, 49 can put a ball sideways on a tee and kick it hard into the ground.  It might not go perfectly 10 yards but it would have been better than whatever abortion that was.  

Seriously, anyone that played soccer as a kid can do this.  Obviously not as well as a pro, but the mechanics/technique are fairly basic.

Controlling a drop kick is levels of magnitude harder on the degree of difficulty.

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Is what it is for me fwiw

I can't root for the Eagles no matter who they're playing 

 

I hear you, I know that feeling. 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, matuski said:

Seriously, anyone that played soccer as a kid can do this.  Obviously not as well as a pro, but the mechanics/technique are fairly basic.

Controlling a drop kick is levels of magnitude harder on the degree of difficulty.

Sounds like you should be able to easily line up a job as a special teams coach in the NFL :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing about dropkicking though is that it offers irregular spin on the ball, it should do crazy things when it comes off the foot that players are totally unused to. 

I think Dickson’s kick was a standard rugby kickoff. If you’ve ever seen rugby or Aus rules football, the kickoff is a high pooch and teammates run under it. The problem with Dickson’s kick was it was too long and low. Really it’s just surprising to me he didn’t do it better, I think the dropkick could be pretty spectacular if given the right practice time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The thing about dropkicking though is that it offers irregular spin on the ball, it should do crazy things when it comes off the foot that players are totally unused to. 

I think Dickson’s kick was a standard rugby kickoff. If you’ve ever seen rugby or Aus rules football, the kickoff is a high pooch and teammates run under it. The problem with Dickson’s kick was it was too long and low. Really it’s just surprising to me he didn’t do it better, I think the dropkick could be pretty spectacular if given the right practice time.

They had a similar situation earlier this year against the Bears. He tried to angle it like a comventional onside kick and it was just as bad an effort. All-Pro punter but this is obviously another skill that he doesn’t have for some reason.

Haven’t heard him talk about it but I’m guessing if he were being honest he just say he choked.

He’s had some other squirrely spots in games as well (see end of Detroit game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Until you realize you have to try to beat Brees twice in a season if that happens. 

I don't expect that to happen....Dak would have to play the game of his life and the defense would need to force a key turnover or something

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, The General said:

Sounds like you should be able to easily line up a job as a special teams coach in the NFL :lol:

 

On that play - most anyone would have been able to figure that out.  

Kick a stationary tee'd up ball into the ground versus timing and aiming a drop kick.  The margin for error alone (as we saw), makes it an easy call.

I mean maybe nobody on that team played soccer?  Has the punter never done it?  I can't imagine these were the case.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the weekend, anyone with doubts can go see for themselves in the backyard.

Prop a crushed beer can under the ball and kick it into the ground (it is hard to miss the ground), then drop a ball at their feet and time their kick just after it lands (hard to do right when you realize the ball isnt round).

Do each a couple few times and there you go.  May be harder to do a few drop kicks after the balls fly in all directions and distances.

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol, Cowboys win the first time in the playoffs in decades, and all people in here can talk about is the Eagles. Lot of sensitive people in here. be happy, you guys won

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The thing about dropkicking though is that it offers irregular spin on the ball, it should do crazy things when it comes off the foot that players are totally unused to. 

I think Dickson’s kick was a standard rugby kickoff. If you’ve ever seen rugby or Aus rules football, the kickoff is a high pooch and teammates run under it. The problem with Dickson’s kick was it was too long and low. Really it’s just surprising to me he didn’t do it better, I think the dropkick could be pretty spectacular if given the right practice time.

The irregular aspect to it is very possible.

The degree of difficulty and margin for error between the techniques is night and day. 

Slam a tee'd up ball into the ground versus timing and finesse. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, modogg said:

lol, Cowboys win the first time in the playoffs in decades, and all people in here can talk about is the Eagles. 

Not even close

And a weak effort actually 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matuski said:

The irregular aspect to it is very possible.

The degree of difficulty and margin for error between the techniques is night and day. 

Slam a tee'd up ball into the ground versus timing and finesse. :shrug:

It’s not Dickson’s first time. He did this earlier in the year and IIRC it was recovered. Personally I love it, but I just don’t think he executed it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

It’s not Dickson’s first time. He did this earlier in the year and IIRC it was recovered. Personally I love it, but I just don’t think he executed it here.

Which is the crux of my argument.

Pretty hard to screw up that bad on an onside kick.  I don't think it is possible to bounce a traditional onside kick that far off the mark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matuski said:

Which is the crux of my argument.

Pretty hard to screw up that bad on an onside kick.  I don't think it is possible to bounce a traditional onside kick that far off the mark.

Yeah I agree, and actually I checked when Dickson kicked off before it wasn’t onsides it was a normal kickoff. He pinned the Bears deep though, it was effective.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Manster said:

I don't expect that to happen....Dak would have to play the game of his life and the defense would need to force a key turnover or something

I think Dallas can beat them again without Dak having to put up video game numbers. He just needs to avoid big mistakes. The defense and running game will travel. I’m hoping we get to see that matchup again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bigboy10182000 said:

I don’t take any “fan” serious who’s not from that area. Old school I guess. You’re from an area or not, you have that experience or you don’t. I’ll mess around back and forth but I laugh at your “passion” for your team....

This is hysterical.

So someone who grew up in an area, lived there all their life, was a crazy fan of their team, then moved, can't be a "fan" of their team anymore?

:lmao:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, matuski said:

On that play - most anyone would have been able to figure that out.  

Kick a stationary tee'd up ball into the ground versus timing and aiming a drop kick.  The margin for error alone (as we saw), makes it an easy call.

I mean maybe nobody on that team played soccer?  Has the punter never done it?  I can't imagine these were the case.

 

The punter grew up playing Aussie Rules, doing drop kicks. He is always drilling 40 - 50 yard kicks like this in pre-game. I’m guessing he’s aware of his best skill set. Punting he’s great at, kicking onside kicks not so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, matuski said:

The irregular aspect to it is very possible.

The degree of difficulty and margin for error between the techniques is night and day. 

Slam a tee'd up ball into the ground versus timing and finesse. :shrug:

Aren’t you the boxing expert as well or is that someone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, The General said:

Aren’t you the boxing expert as well or is that someone else?

Don't know #### about boxing.

Onside kicks and drop kicks are something I have done many times.  It isn't complicated.  Almost remedial.  

Beyond not being complicated, also a really weird thing to turn personal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, The General said:

The punter grew up playing Aussie Rules, doing drop kicks. He is always drilling 40 - 50 yard kicks like this in pre-game. I’m guessing he’s aware of his best skill set. Punting he’s great at, kicking onside kicks not so much. 

This would be a range where drop kicks make sense.

For an onside kick, it does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Engelberg said:

This is hysterical.

So someone who grew up in an area, lived there all their life, was a crazy fan of their team, then moved, can't be a "fan" of their team anymore?

:lmao:

 

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying.  I assume he meant that if you have no ties to that area.  I lived in Pittsburgh all of my life and have been working in Philly for the last 12 years.  I’m not suddenly required to be a Philly sports fan.  That’s silly.   :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, matuski said:

Don't know #### about boxing.

Onside kicks and drop kicks are something I have done many times.  It isn't complicated.  Almost remedial.  

Beyond not being complicated, also a really weird thing to turn personal.

I thought you were the guy who would beat up Pacquioa. My bad. 

To me it sounds ridiculous when random guy on the internet is telling a pro athlete at the pinnacle of his profession how to preform a job because they do it all the time in their backyard.

I’m sure I’m guilty of this as well and not meant to be an attack, just talking about the game and bummed my team lost. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The General said:

I thought you were the guy who would beat up Pacquioa. My bad. 

To me it sounds ridiculous when random guy on the internet is telling a pro athlete at the pinnacle of his profession how to preform a job because they do it all the time in their backyard.

I’m sure I’m guilty of this as well and not meant to be an attack, just talking about the game and bummed my team lost. 

 

I wasn't telling the pro athlete anything... I was criticizing the coaches call.

In hindsight, it was 100% the wrong call (obviously).  The second I saw him drop kicking i was saying "no no no".  Not because I am a genius, or because I think I should be a special teams coach.  Because the coach made the mistake.  All the coaches made the mistake imo.. someone else on the team should be able to perform kicking duties, even if all they did was play soccer at a decent level as a kid.

That was the first and last time you will ever see a drop kick on sides kick.  Because it is a stupid idea.

Edited by matuski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I don’t think that’s what he’s saying.  I assume he meant that if you have no ties to that area.  I lived in Pittsburgh all of my life and have been working in Philly for the last 12 years.  I’m not suddenly required to be a Philly sports fan.  That’s silly.   :lol: 

I have been a Lions fan my entire teenage and adult life.  I never set foot in Detroit until my late 30's.  Never beyond the airport to this day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matuski said:

I have been a Lions fan my entire teenage and adult life.  I never set foot in Detroit until my late 30's.  Never beyond the airport to this day.

 

I'm not going to judge anyone's reason for being a fan of a team.  I wasn't the one who made the original comment.  I was just responding.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, matuski said:

I wasn't telling the pro athlete anything... I was criticizing the coaches call.

In hindsight, it was 100% the wrong call (obviously).  The second I saw him drop kicking i was saying "no no no".  Not because I am a genius, or because I think I should be a special teams coach.  Because the coach made the mistake.  All the coaches made the mistake imo.. someone else on the team should be able to perform kicking duties, even if all they did was play soccer at a decent level as a kid.

That was the first and last time you will ever see a drop kick on sides kick.  Because it is a stupid idea.

Having a backup onside kicker that's not the punter seems odd but maybe that's a thing. This guy had an opportunity to onside it earlier this year and dropkicked that one as well, must not like kicking off a tee since he's drop kicked his whole life.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, The General said:

Having a backup onside kicker that's not the punter seems odd but maybe that's a thing. This guy had an opportunity to onside it earlier this year and dropkicked that one as well, must not like kicking off a tee since he's drop kicked his whole life.

 

Just a guy who can kick.  Doesn't have to be a pro... but when your punter wants to punt an onside kick, that is an easy red flag to get you asking around to see who played a little club soccer.  Anyone checking that box could do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matuski said:

Just a guy who can kick.  Doesn't have to be a pro... but when your punter wants to punt an onside kick, that is an easy red flag to get you asking around to see who played a little club soccer.  Anyone checking that box could do it.

I don't know man, I think it's a bit harder than you are making it out to be. 

MY LAST KICKING POST I SWEAR :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.