What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tell how the shutdown is affecting you. (1 Viewer)

lazyike

Footballguy
I know we have heard about the 800,000 either furloughed or working without pay is going to be tough especially if it lingers on for months. I assume it could mean repossessed vehicles, missed mortgage payments, missed student loan payments etc. 

The USDA offices are closed and for me personally on the farm after harvesting one of my poorest crops due to flooding in 42 years I am waiting for the money Trump promised soybean farmers for damaging our bean markets. My son who also farms is waiting to get some cash as  well on a commodity loan. If this goes on too long could we see rioting in the streets like in France? FHA loans aren’t getting completed. The NTSB are not doing investigations on accidents etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I flew back from Mexico and I got through customs super quick- they weren’t really stopping anyone. Perhaps the are understaffed or not really giving a ####?

I flew back from Mexico and I got through customs super quick- they weren’t really stopping anyone. Perhaps the are understaffed or not really giving a ####?
Thought I heard some TSA workers refused to go to work? Must be just a few of those Democrat government workers who don’t support the wall I suppose LOL

Not affecting me since I work for DoD.  Probably wont.

Today I went to the Maryland board of elections website to see how the party affiliation change process works.  One-page form, looks simple.  I think I'm going to become a Democrat.  I can't friggin believe I am typing this.  I'm going to sleep on this one.

Thought I heard some TSA workers refused to go to work? Must be just a few of those Democrat government workers who don’t support the wall I suppose LOL
I read it was an increase in sick days. Eventually people won’t be able to pay for daycare and might have to stay home or get another job. 

I can’t post-process any GPS data bc all the fully automated CORS stations are working, but not sharing data during the shutdown.  So dumb.

Today I went to the Maryland board of elections website to see how the party affiliation change process works.  One-page form, looks simple.  I think I'm going to become a Democrat.  I can't friggin believe I am typing this.  I'm going to sleep on this one.
Ok - I'm sure you are all riveted by my personal story.

I'm a Democrat now.  My values have meshed increasingly poorly with the GOP for quite a while - starting with the rise of Gingrich and fall of elder Bush.  The shutdown over this wall thing security kabuki was the final straw.  So that's the shutdown's impact on me.  The Maryland website had an online registration capability.  I'll get the card in the mail in 2-3 weeks.  I'll be pulling the D's to the center, instead.  Now will someone kindly point me to the drugs and free sex?

I'm a Democrat now.  My values have meshed increasingly poorly with the GOP for quite a while - starting with the rise of Gingrich and fall of elder Bush.  The shutdown over this wall thing security kabuki was the final straw.  So that's the shutdown's impact on me.  The Maryland website had an online registration capability.  I'll get the card in the mail in 2-3 weeks.  I'll be pulling the D's to the center, instead.  Now will someone kindly point me to the drugs and free sex?
Right this way - your naked Pelosi flashback materials will be in the mail as soon as the shutdown ends, and Mexico will pay for it. Til then we can hope there will one day be a party for both we outcasts.

Whoa, slow down there.  First you have to get your card and mail a copy to George Soros.  That will get you on the list to be called for the paid rallies and your Antifa starter kit. The drugs and free sex have to be earned.

No way.. You have to earn it. I have been a Democrat my whole life and I just started getting free oxycontin last year

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/traffic/honkin-mad-blog/article223951975.html

FORT WORTH 

Less than 12 hours before the TEXRail commuter train service was scheduled to open to the public, officials have decided to postpone the opening indefinitely, blaming the federal shutdown.
It is unclear when Trinity Metro might be able to open the TEXRail line. Ballard has repeatedly said that even though the Federal Railroad Administration is running on a skeleton staff because of the shutdown, Fort Worth officials are working with FRA staff and are confident they can eventually get permission to use the new rail intersection under Spur 280 even if the federal shotdown continues for days or weeks.

But he also acknowledged that it has been more difficult than usual to communicate with the agency, because of the shutdown.

Less traffic. Shorter lines at lunch. Slight reduction in workflow as some of the contractors we provide for State are not working. NIH doesn't appear to be affected.

I'm curious stlrams, where do you live?

Less traffic. Shorter lines at lunch. Slight reduction in workflow as some of the contractors we provide for State are not working. NIH doesn't appear to be affected.

I'm curious stlrams, where do you live?
he lives in the CT burbs/rural area.

My wife is furloughed; luckily I'm private and we will personally be okay if it lasts for a bit.  We have cancelled our dog walker while my wife is home, as I'm sure many of my neighbors have done; so, the shutdown is probably hurting their business.  Still paying for daycare even though we don't really need it right now, but we don't have the flexibility there.

My wife was out with a couple of her co-workers over the weekend, who were a bit more nervous.  One is a two government worker household, and they were on the phone with their mortgage lender and student loan provider trying to figure out their options if the shutdown continues.  The other is a single mom facing similar worries on bills.

I'm on furlough.  I'm "essential" but only working an hour or so a day.  Not getting a paycheck.  Wife works three days a week.  She doesn't make enough to cover our mortgage and other expenses.  But we have savings that could last us a few months without too much problems.  If we didn't get back pay after we reopened, it would mean thousands of dollars (tens?) out of my pocket, for no fault of my own, other than having a federal job.

But if it lasted more than two months, I'd have to think about maybe getting a new job?  Who knows.  It's certainly stressful. 

I'm on furlough.  I'm "essential" but only working an hour or so a day.  Not getting a paycheck.  Wife works three days a week.  She doesn't make enough to cover our mortgage and other expenses.  But we have savings that could last us a few months without too much problems.  If we didn't get back pay after we reopened, it would mean thousands of dollars (tens?) out of my pocket, for no fault of my own, other than having a federal job.

But if it lasted more than two months, I'd have to think about maybe getting a new job?  Who knows.  It's certainly stressful. 
Out of curiosity, are you still covered by your health insurance? 

DoD here.  So far we're only seeing reduced hours at access control points and some on base supporting businesses. They haven't come out and said it was shutdown related, but considering it was announced friday and implemented today, how can it not be...

Out of curiosity, are you still covered by your health insurance? 
Yes.  I have BCBS.  My understanding is that the insurance companies will still cover us, with the expectation that once we start working again, they will grab back payments from our checks.  If we get back pay, it's easy - they just take the same amount they always did.  If we DON'T get backpay, it will be a sh^t-show.  They will have to double-up on premiums, I guess. 

I've only been a Fed since 2001.  Our lab has never shut down and is currently running on all cylinders, but we did get nicked by the summer furlough of 2013.  On that one, we were told to work 4 days a week for, as I recall, 6 consecutive weeks.  So our paychecks were 80% as large (gross pay) as normal for 3 pay periods.  The flat rate withholdings like health insurance, life insurance, etc were unchanged so a lapse in coverage wasn't an issue.  But the effect was we got less than 80% of our normal take-home pay since they took a disproportionate bite.

Additionally, if you were withholding a percentage of your paycheck for the 401k (TSP) you ended up seeing your withholdings cut by 20% (as well as the match I believe).  If you were withholding a flat dollar amount, there was no change in withholdings or match (but again, a disproportionate bite in your take home).

FYI, we were not reimbursed for that partial furlough.  Of course, we were not required to work on that 5th day, either.  So it was just stupid, insulting and aggravating.  It wasn't straight up theft.

Lesson learned:  we should have planned our lives better.  After all, we knew what we were getting into as Federal employees.

I came back from Jamaica, the guy at immigration looked at my passport, looked at me, looked at my wife's passport, looked at her, stamped the paperwork and gave them back to us literally without saying a word to us.  

Yes.  I have BCBS.  My understanding is that the insurance companies will still cover us, with the expectation that once we start working again, they will grab back payments from our checks.  If we get back pay, it's easy - they just take the same amount they always did.  If we DON'T get backpay, it will be a sh^t-show.  They will have to double-up on premiums, I guess. 
Good luck and we can only hope this ends soon.  I think the backpay will come, but these are strange times.  Sounds like some measures are being proposed to guarantee backpay for furloughs. 

Steve Tasker said:
I came back from Jamaica, the guy at immigration looked at my passport, looked at me, looked at my wife's passport, looked at her, stamped the paperwork and gave them back to us literally without saying a word to us.  
Sounds like a smooth and efficient transaction

In all seriousness, the IRS is basically shutdown entirely, which is putting a strain on some of my clients.  This happens every time the government shuts down.

In all seriousness, the IRS is basically shutdown entirely, which is putting a strain on some of my clients.  This happens every time the government shuts down.
People will soon start complaining once they find out their refund may get delayed.  Especially if they put that down payment down for a swimming pool already.

Glad TSA came out to confirm it's not because they are understaffed....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6560217/Homeland-Security-DENIES-hundreds-TSA-workers-calling-sick-amid-shutdown-despite-union-claim.html

Department of Homeland Security press officer said reports airports had been negatively impacted by the government shutdown was 'fake news'

Tyler Q. Houlton on Friday said figures were 'grossly misrepresented'  and 'security effectiveness will not be compromised'
My experience was just one out of a sea of millions so it's just anecdotal. However there seem to be lots of other reports. Sad that trust in the government which was already low is now basically none. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6560217/Homeland-Security-DENIES-hundreds-TSA-workers-calling-sick-amid-shutdown-despite-union-claim.html

Department of Homeland Security press officer said reports airports had been negatively impacted by the government shutdown was 'fake news'

Tyler Q. Houlton on Friday said figures were 'grossly misrepresented'  and 'security effectiveness will not be compromised'
He's a Trump guy with zero experience at DHS before this administration who lied about CNN while calling them Fake News in a tweet (read the first response tweet, from Natasha Bertrand). He's a fraud with zero credibility, just like everyone else in the Trump administration.

He's a Trump guy with zero experience at DHS before this administration who lied about CNN while calling them Fake News in a tweet.  He's a fraud with zero credibility, just like everyone else in the Trump administration.
I think the surgeon general is legit. I heard an interview with him that was fantastic. Sorry for the tangent.

I think the surgeon general is legit. I heard an interview with him that was fantastic. Sorry for the tangent.
I remember the good old days, back when I used to know who the Surgeon General was because important stuff like that wasn't buried under a daily avalanche of failures and scandals.

People will soon start complaining once they find out their refund may get delayed.  Especially if they put that down payment down for a swimming pool already.
So they say refunds will still go out but the workers are furloughed and still no funding  ?  How does that work?

So they say refunds will still go out but the workers are furloughed and still no funding  ?  How does that work?
Some employees are coming back to help with the refunds, but they won't be getting paid until the shutdown ends.

I assume a lot of that is automated now. Most taxes are filed electronically. Those filings probably run through some computer programs looking for errors. Ones that pass can just be pushed through and trigger an automated payment. Some are probably kicked out with something suspicious that require a person to review and approve. Maybe those won't be processed?

FAA safety inspectors are non-essential.   So no safety inspections happening.  Happy flying!

Users who are viewing this thread