What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyree Jackson - QB - Buffalo Bulls (1 Viewer)

Tyree Jackson - QB -  Bulls

Buffalo redshirt junior QB Tyree Jackson accepted an invitation to the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Reese's Senior Bowl Executive Director Jim Nagy said he didn't anticipate Jackson (6'7/245) to declare for the 2019 NFL Draft, so Jackson was a late add to the roster. Almost all analysts were surprised that Jackson declared, especially since he received a "you should return to college" grade by the advisory board. But Nagy did get this one right. Jackson needs to be on the Senior Bowl roster, as he has too many raw traits that scouts need to see up and close to determine his draft stock. As of now, Jackson would do well to be a Day 2 selection.

Source: Jim Nagy on Twitter 

Jan 13 - 11:33 AM

Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson measured in at 6-foot-7, 249 pounds at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

We already knew that Jackson was an imposing physical prospect, with his Senior Bowl weigh-in simply confirming those bonafides. In addition to the above listed measurements, the Buffalo gunslinger's hands checked in at an even 10 inches. As impressive as all of this is, it is merely window dressing for the practice week itself. Jackson is an exceedingly raw prospect and has as much to prove as any player on hand in Mobile. If he shows off more polish than expected during the practice week, it would be an encouraging development for his draft stock.

Source: The Draft Network 

Jan 22 - 12:33 PM

Optimum Scouting's Eric Galko writes that Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson was the only QB to impress during Tuesday's practice ahead of the Reese's Senior Bowl.

This comes after Jackson measured a whopping 6-foot-7, 249-pounds in practice. Galko notes that it was a windy day, and Jackson certainly dealt with his share of wind playing at Buffalo. He notes that he had some issues connecting on timing with wideouts -- because of course he did, it's day one of practicing with players he hasn't played with outside of Anthony Johnson -- but the arm talent was readily apparent. "Continued ball placement this week and he should be in the mix for a Day 2 selection," he writes. We're excited to hear more.

Source: Optimum Scouting 

Jan 22 - 8:04 PM

He has skills and high upside. Depends on where he goes and if he gets coached up right. Liked what I saw of him in 2 games watched.  Never know though. Some guys have 'it' and some don't.

The Draft Network's Joe Marino believes Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson "didn’t affirm he was worthy of a high pick based on how he fared" at the Senior Bowl.

He added that Jackson (6'7/249) is a "tantalizing" prospect with "obvious" tools and raw ability but his up-and-down performance showed in Mobile. Jackson flashed arm talent by completing a 60-yard pass to WVU WR Gary Jennings but on a later series, he made a bad throw which resulted in an interception. A player with a lot of raw talent, Marino believes Jackson's "draft stock will ultimately be settled by which teams believe they can develop him."

Source: The Draft Network 

Jan 27 - 12:18 PM

Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson ran the 40-yard dash in 4.59 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Jackson (6'7/249) was impressive running the forty with his huge frame, but that's largely unimportant. The eyes were on Jackson as a thrower, and it was another mixed day for him. There were wow throws, but his footwork can make him miss targets too. At one point, TV analyst and former WR Steve Smith had to run over to Jackson during the receiver gauntlet drill to tell him to stop throwing the ball so hard to give his receivers a chance. This was more of a comedy stunt than anything, but Jackson was really putting some mustard on his throws.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 2, 2019, 6:07 PM

Former Carolina Panthers WR Steve Smith told Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson to stop throwing it so hard during the gauntlet drill at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Trying to impress, Jackson (6'7/249) was firing bullets to the wideouts who unfortunately weren't able to handle the heat. NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang believes "Every scout in the building" was "intrigued by the raw upside demonstrated by the rocket-armed Jackson." In addition to excelling in the 40-yard dash (4.59 seconds), Jackson was "enamored with showing off his raw arm strength, sacrificing accuracy on underneath throws (like the gauntlet drill) and touch on post-corners to leave vapor trails for the scouts in the stands to hang their laundry" according to Rang. A year after teams fell in love with rocket-spraying athlete QB Josh Allen, the second-coming likely won't be selected until the middle rounds in April.

SOURCE: NFL Draft Scout

Mar 3, 2019, 4:31 AM

Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson tested in the 95th percentile at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Jackson just tops North Dakota State's Easton Stick to win the award for most athletic quarterback. He ran an impressive 4.59 second 40 from this 6-foot-7, 249-pound build, and he also showed off a 34.5-inch vertical and 4.28 second 20-yard shuttle time. Jackson also showed off his rocket of an arm, but there are still questions about the accuracy and decision making. He's very much a developmental prospect, but no one can deny there's upside here.

SOURCE: Three Sigma Athlete

Mar 5, 2019, 3:24 PM

From Buffalo and huge Bulls fan.  I can tell you he is very very inaccurate.  His footwork is bad, throwing motion is bad, so maybe they can be coached up.  But he still tries to muscle the ball way too much. Which again, with the right coaching, can be fixed.  

I truly think if he stayed in college one more year in Buffalo, or after transferring to another school, he would be much better coming out.  But I get why he made the decision to come out this year as opposed to next. 

From Buffalo and huge Bulls fan.  I can tell you he is very very inaccurate.  His footwork is bad, throwing motion is bad, so maybe they can be coached up.  But he still tries to muscle the ball way too much. Which again, with the right coaching, can be fixed.  

I truly think if he stayed in college one more year in Buffalo, or after transferring to another school, he would be much better coming out.  But I get why he made the decision to come out this year as opposed to next. 
Agreed and he had to come out and I’m thinking hopefully he lands in a place where he can develop into a starter

Mine too, actually. I'm not too sure why he doesn't get more buzz. Especially since the rest of the class looks just terrible. 

Because he does so many fundamental things poorly.  His appeal is in the strength of his arm, his size and the way he can stand tall in the pocket while shrugging off blitzers, and his mentality.  The problem is that as you fix his flaws - if you fix them - is how does that change how he performs on the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because he does so many fundamental things poorly.  His appeal is in the strength of his arm, his size and the way he can stand tall in the pocket while shrugging off blitzers, and his mentality.  The problem is that as you fix his flaws - if you fix them - is how does that change how he performs on the field.

The reason I like him is because his flaws are correctable. 

Can't teach Murray to be taller or more intelligent with the ball (well, maybe the later))

Can't teach Haskins to be more of a rushing threat.

Can't teach Jones or Lock to throw with more velocity. 

He wont be a starter day 1 but hes intriguing. If NO, GB, NE, or SD take him I'd be pretty interested

He can make all the throws. 

TJax Highlightz

Vs temple

Vs temple is a bit more objective and 13 minutes but shows all the plays basically. He doesn’t seem to go through a lot of reads, but is phenomenal on the run. 

Ahem....reminds me of mahomes. The way he avoids the rush and flicks his wrist and the ball is 30 yds down the field....throwing across his body. Also led his high school to their first state championship. Good head on his shoulders, not a troublemaker. A more talented cardale Jones. I hope he gets a shot someday. 

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller says that Tyree Jackson has the third strongest arm that he's scouted.

Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen and Kansas City Chiefs MVP QB Patrick Mahomes are No. 1 and 2, so he's comparing Jackson's arm to two first-rounders. Miller also says that he would rather have Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson than Duke QB Daniel Jones, which is a pretty bold opinion given where each quarterback is expected to be drafted. Jackson has the prototypical tools that coaches desire -- big arm and athleticism -- but there are major questions surrounding his accuracy. Most analysts have Jones multiple rounds ahead of Jackson.

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Mar 11, 2019, 6:45 PM

Ironically it seems like he compares to Josh Allen's college career.  People seem to have a mental block with comparing QB's is that have different color skin, but it seems like there are some similarities here.  You have seen them both up close more than probably anyone we can hear from.  As a guy in a couple superflex leagues i'm curious to hear how you think they compare.

Ironically it seems like he compares to Josh Allen's college career.  People seem to have a mental block with comparing QB's is that have different color skin, but it seems like there are some similarities here.  You have seen them both up close more than probably anyone we can hear from.  As a guy in a couple superflex leagues i'm curious to hear how you think they compare.
Yeah, they’ve been compared to quite a bit.  I believe Jackson was even working with the same QB coach Allen had (Jordan Palmer).  Allen probably has the better arm.  Jackson is probably a little faster but not sure if he can see the field and run like Allen.  But Jackson just doesn’t seem very fluid to me.  He has a strange release, and terrible, and I mean terrible mechanics.  

If Jackson goes to the right team that can be patient and help fix his flaws then I can see him becoming a starter in this league.  He has natural abilities that don’t come around very often.  My main concern is that he might just be another Cardale Jones.  I liked him coming out of OSU.   Pretty similar there too   Big guy, big arm, can run a little bit   But just didn’t have it. 

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller writes "don't be surprised if [Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson] the fifth quarterback off the board on draft weekend."

Miller writes that Jackson "probably" won't be rising into the first round, but is high on his physical measurables -- including his cannon of an arm and his LeBron James-esque size at 6-foot-7, 249 pounds -- and referred to his 4.59-second sprint through the 40-yard dash at the combine as "blistering." We have seen a low-building burble of hype for Jackson, especially since his time in Indianapolis, but Miller's mention of the first round is the first time we can recall the quarterback ever being even vaguely floated in the vicinity of Day 1. If an NFL team does take an early plunge on the Bulls gunslinger, that would be a grave mistake in our estimation. Jackson has severe accuracy issues and would have been well-suited to remain in college for one more year.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report

Mar 12, 2019, 2:52 PM

I would be shocked if he was taken round 1. maybe picks 30-32, but that's insane. I dont expect any of these QBs to go round 1 except Murray and Haskins (ETA: Maybe Lock)  Especially when many of these teams have made moves in FA, and Miami is reportedly tanking for 1.1 2020. 

I will give that 1 QB who goes end of round 1, and say 3 will go in the first. Jackson might be a day 2 pick since there are problems revealed with some of the other QBs in this class, but I'd expect him to be a round 3 or 4 pick. 

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that "many believe [Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson] will go higher than expected in the draft."

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller had a similar statement just yesterday, so it's time to take this seriously. There is no way that teams are viewing Jackson (6'7/249)as an immediate starter, but the NFL chases tools when they want to take on a developmental project and Jackson has some of them. Accuracy is and will likely always be an issue, but Jackson has arm strength and athleticism. Anything higher than a third-round pick is a reach to us, but he'd be an interesting project even if the floor is really low.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 13, 2019, 8:22 AM

NFL Film's Greg Cosell believes that Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson has bad footwork.

"He's a developmental guy," the analyst continued. There are some teams who will be tantalized by Jackson's size and arm strength, but Cosell compares Jackson to Logan Thomas, who had to transition to tight end after coaches failed to correct his accuracy issues. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that "many believe" Jackson will go "higher than expected." A Day 2 selection should not shock you at this point, but that seems overly bullish.

SOURCE: Ross Tucker Podcast

Mar 16, 2019, 4:01 PM

The Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins visited Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson.

Jackson (6'7/249) is expected to be taken near the Round 3/4 turn and should begin his career as a developmental backup quarterback. The Lions aren't looking for a starting quarterback, so it would be a tough landing spot for Jackson if he went to Detroit, but the Dolphins would give him a path to starts if he earned them. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that "many believe" Jackson will go "higher than expected."

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 3, 2019, 12:26 PM

I agree with Cosell, I think Jackson would be wise to switch positions. He's 6'7 ,250 pounds, runs 4.5 has 34 inch arms, 4.2 shuttle and 7.0 3-cone. As a QB he's got a rocket arm, and great mobility, but is very rarely accurate. However his size/speed(I wish we had bench numbers) is very similar to Brian Burns, only a few inches taller. He also profiles as a similar level athlete as Dallas Goedert, but again a couple inches taller. 

I think he'd have a better chance hitting at either of those spots than at QB. If there were a TE with those athletic numbers, and had been playing TE even at an average level, he'd likely be a day 2 pick. Probably on par with Sternberger, if not Irv Smith.

ESPN's Todd McShay and John Parolin note that Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson had the top QBR rating of any of the drafts top quarterbacks when under pressure.

Jackson had a QBR of 48.2, which puts him well above the average QBR when pressured of 12.4. What's interesting here, is that while Jackson has the top rating when pressured, he has the lowest rating of the "big names" when blitzed at 52.9. "He has some wheels (4.59 40-yard dash) and the arm strength to deliver throws under pressure, but that offense didn't help him out much when opponents sent the blitz," McShay writes. "His pocket awareness puts him behind the eight ball a little when the house crashes down." Because of his speed and size (6'7/249), Jackson likely goes somewhere on Day 2.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 16, 2019, 7:49 PM

Bills signed Buffalo QB Tyree Jackson.

Jackson (6’7/249) earned 2018 MAC Offensive Player of the Year and South Team MVP at January’s Senior Bowl after making 27 starts for the Bulls, engineering a 10-4 record in his final season and graduating with a 55.8% completion rate, 7.3 YPA, and a 49:24 TD-INT ratio plus 16 rushing scores. An aggressive deep passer, Jackson logged a MAC-high 13.8-yard Average Depth of Target (aDOT) in 2018. Jackson has huge hands (10 1’4"), is big-armed, and is athletic with 4.59 speed, but his inaccuracy may be a fatal flaw. He posted a 20.5% career off-target passing rate, worst of any college quarterback since 2011, per ESPN’s Mike Clay. Despite getting some Day 2 buzz, Jackson had to settle for a UDFA contract in Buffalo. Still, he has some developmental upside behind Josh Allen.

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

Apr 27, 2019, 4:37 PM

Bills vs panthers highlights

With about 2.5 mins left in the video you can see Jackson. He had some bad plays, and the bootleg seems like a bad play call, but he also flashes some of the traits that make you want to see some more. He makes a couple very nice throws, and you can see his arm strength. I don’t have a twitter feed to announce it on, but I think it’s too early to say he can’t make it in the nfl. It doesn’t show all his plays though so I don’t know. Seems like some of those plays were designed runs. 

Bills vs panthers highlights

With about 2.5 mins left in the video you can see Jackson. He had some bad plays, and the bootleg seems like a bad play call, but he also flashes some of the traits that make you want to see some more. He makes a couple very nice throws, and you can see his arm strength. I don’t have a twitter feed to announce it on, but I think it’s too early to say he can’t make it in the nfl. It doesn’t show all his plays though so I don’t know. Seems like some of those plays were designed runs. 
He's got an NFL future at TE if he wants it. Of course, so did Tebow.

This thread is a good reminder that you can't take anything about draft stock to heart in April. Late April and there's rumors posted in here that a future UDFA could go late 1st. 

Users who are viewing this thread