What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (3 Viewers)

Interseptopus

Footballguy
Surprised no thread yet. This class seems to get some grief for being a down class, but I see at least 5 QBs with major potential. Daniel Jones is at the top for me. 

Guy has worked extensively with David Cutcliffe. Hes the size and smarts you hope for from a QB. He can throw a deep ball on a dime. 

Overall I think Jones sky rockets up the draft board as we get closer. He is the most NFL ready now, and IMO the best potential long term  

I'd like to see him in Jacksonville or New York Giants, and those are realistic options I think. 

Peyton Manning?!

Last edited by a moderator:
QB is difficult to judge because it’s hard to quantify traits that make them good and their stats can be misleading. Jones didn’t blow me away. He doesn’t seem to have a very lively arm and his completion percentage and y/a seem to be lacking a lot. I like Brett Rypien and Ryan Finley better than the QB’s that are being propped up behind Haskins right now (Jones and Lock). I’m not a pro scout so I’ll be putting a lot of stock into PFF’s QB report as well as a handful of analysts I trust but Jones doesn’t do for me from an eyeball stand point.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller believes that Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones will be a likely top-10 selection in the spring.

"Jones has the body type, athleticism, arm talent and accuracy to be an NFL starter," Miller writes of the 6-foot-5, 220-pound Duke signal-caller. What should truly aid Jones in securing a top-10 landing spot is the thin nature of the 2019 draft-eligible quarterbacks class. The thinness of the position is going to inevitably launch some names up the board. Jones, certainly a candidate to benefit from the weaker grouping.

Source: Bleacher Report 

Jan 7 - 2:39 PM

An anonymous NFL evaluator says there are similarities between Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones and Carson Wentz.

This is beginning to be a popular comparison, as Bleacher Report's Matt Miller made a similar statement earlier this week. ESPN's Todd McShay is less optimistic however. Jones (6'5/220) checks in at No. 7 in McShay's quarterback rankings, and he's the No. 71 overall prospect. Coming off a big bowl game against a backup-filled Temple defense, Jones declared for the 2019 NFL Draft on New Year's Eve. Perhaps the most debated quarterback prospect of the class, Jones is considered a Day 1 or early Day 2 selection with the upside for a top-10 pick. 

Jan 3 - 8:59 PM

Source: ESPN

In another thread I posted a list of QBs ranked by college production. Jones's production was not good, compared to other QBs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.
I love reading your threads and looking at the data. 

If we were to apply this to the 2018 class, Rosen and Jackson would have been the 2 to buy, while Darnold Mayfield was an avoid and Josh Allen was the one to avoid the most. 

However Josh Allen looks the most promising from a fantasy perspective, Mayfield looks like the read deal, and Darnold/Jackson is debatable- upside for both but major questions for both. Rosen, meanwhile, had the worst season

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller projects Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones to go seventh overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars with the seventh pick in his updated mock draft.

Jones would be the second quarterback off the board in Miller's iteration, with Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State going sixth overall to the Giants. Drew Lock would be the third quarterback in this situation, going to Washington. Jones is considered one of the most debated quarterbacks in this class, but there's obvious talent in the redshirt junior's skill set. "If you watch them side by side, Daniel Jones has some comparisons to Carson Wentz," Miller writes. "Both are big (Jones is 6'5", 220 lbs; Wentz is 6'5", 237 lbs), mobile and strong-armed and were well-coached in classic, pro-style systems in college." We're going to be very curious to see how this quarterback situation plays out. 

Jan 2 - 8:16 PM

Source: Bleacher Report

In another thread I posted a list of QBs ranked by college production. Jones's production was not good, compared to other QBs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.
I love reading your threads and looking at the data. 

If we were to apply this to the 2018 class, Rosen and Jackson would have been the 2 to buy, while Darnold Mayfield was an avoid and Josh Allen was the one to avoid the most. 

However Josh Allen looks the most promising from a fantasy perspective, Mayfield looks like the read deal, and Darnold/Jackson is debatable- upside for both but major questions for both. Rosen, meanwhile, had the worst season
Mayfield was by far the top QB in last year's draft class by college production, and Joshes Allen & Rosen were bottom of the barrel. Darnold & Jackson were in the middle, with Darnold well ahead of Jackson. You can see that in their rankings in my link; I also had more to say about last year's QB class here and here.

Daniel Jones - QB -  Blue Devils

Pro Football Focus's Michael Renner notes that Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones is a draft prospect whose production didn't justify the hype.

Jones (6'5/220) is considered one of the better quarterback prospects in this class, although he has yet to declare for the draft. The analytics suggest that hype might not be justified, as he finished with a passing grade of 79.7 and an overall grade of 81.2. They do note that passer grade is considerably higher than the 57.8 mark he put up as a redshirt sophomore, but it still leaves a lot to be desired. "Jones’ 13 big-time throws this season rank 71st in the country and he has almost as many turnover-worthy plays (11) as he does big-time throws," Renner writes. The stats can often be misleading -- Jones doesn't have near the talent that some other signal-callers do -- but it's certainly something to keep in mind.

Source: Pro Football Focus 

Mon, Dec 17, 2018 03:52:00 PM

Mayfield was by far the top QB in last year's draft class by college production, and Joshes Allen & Rosen were bottom of the barrel. Darnold & Jackson were in the middle, with Darnold well ahead of Jackson. You can see that in their rankings in my link; I also had more to say about last year's QB class here and here.
right, but that didn't translate 100% to fantasy. Josh Allen was QB1 weeks 11 through 15. not sure how he finished the season ranked for 11 through 17 but he was solid. 

Furthermore, you're comparing a guy's production from Ohio state to that of Duke. Completely different level programs, different levels of talent. 

I get that this isnt fool proof, but at initial glance there are a lot of holes

eta: I love this discussion. makes me reevaluate my grade on him

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. lists Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones 18th on his updated Draft Board.

Jones is now the second rated quarterback on the board, trailing only Oregon's Justin Herbert who ranks fourth. With rumors that Herbert could be heading back to school in 2019, that could make Jones the first quarterback taken, as Kiper notes. "The most impressive trait I've seen from Jones this season is his ability to buy time in the pocket and use his feet to get square and make a throw," writes Kiper. "He has thrown 26 interceptions in his three seasons as the starter, and he forces passes at times, but he has mostly cut down on the poor throws this season, as he has only six picks." Jones is a volatile prospect to many, but there's a real chance he goes high in 2019, assuming he gives up his redshirt senior season.

Source: ESPN 

Wed, Nov 14, 2018 05:44:00 PM

Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones recorded 72 yards after contact when rushing the ball in Saturday's 42-35 win over North Carolina.

Jones was uber-efficient on the ground and had 12 designed runs with one scramble. He forced three missed tackles on his way to 208 total yards, one touchdown, and six first downs. Jones has been an excellent dual-threat quarterback and has a chance to vault up quarterback ranks in a what's expected to be a weak 2019 draft class.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter 

Sun, Nov 11, 2018 09:44:00 AM

I also posted in another thread Daniel Jones didn’t have a single 4 or 5 star rated recruit on the roster at a skilled position. Duke typically lands 1, 2 and at best a few 3  star rated WRs and RBs. I believe that is a factor that caps his numbers when you don’t have WRs with elite speed, size, or athletic ability to throw to. His combine and senior bowl will be very interesting. I’m a believer and so is Eli Manning. 

I also posted in another thread Daniel Jones didn’t have a single 4 or 5 star rated recruit on the roster at a skilled position. Duke typically lands 1, 2 and at best a few 3  star rated WRs and RBs. I believe that is a factor that caps his numbers when you don’t have WRs with elite speed, size, or athletic ability to throw to. His combine and senior bowl will be very interesting. I’m a believer and so is Eli Manning. 
Agreed to a point. He also didn't play against stiff competition most games. He got smoked by Clemson (not exactly unexpected nor cause for concern). 

QBs are always difficult to assess, QBs at lesser football programs who play lesser programs are even harder.  Wentz is a success, and there are others of course. 

I'm trying to avoid the mental fallacy of equating Jones to Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Charlie batch. But right now that's about where I see him - a quality backup who can start for a while but not a franchise guy.  I'll keep an open mind when the pros give their assessment.

QBs are always difficult to assess, QBs at lesser football programs who play lesser programs are even harder.  Wentz is a success, and there are others of course. 
The ACC is a Power 5 Conference - it's top heavy for the most part but we're not talking Mountain West or MAC here.

I am almost positive Jones ends up as a top 10 pick. He is going to look fantastic in the combine/pro days. 

The ACC is a Power 5 Conference - it's top heavy for the most part but we're not talking Mountain West or MAC here.
Obviously the ACC is great, but looking over the 18 season there's a lack of top performances against good competition. 

Ok, not Harvard or NDSU. 

Do his games against UNC Anand Temple count as signature games? 

I'll admit to not following Duke football closely, but I just haven't seen him perform at the level I'd expect from a future NFL starter. Looks like he has the tools.I So'm just asking, what did you see in games? 

Obviously the ACC is great, but looking over the 18 season there's a lack of top performances against good competition. 

Ok, not Harvard or NDSU. 

Do his games against UNC Anand Temple count as signature games? 

I'll admit to not following Duke football closely, but I just haven't seen him perform at the level I'd expect from a future NFL starter. Looks like he has the tools.I So'm just asking, what did you see in games? 
I only watched the Bowl game against Temple (which is a decent team) so I'm really not making a statement about him. I was only addressing your statement that seemed to indicate he was playing against the likes of Wyoming and SD State each week.

He faced a few pretty good major conference teams: Miami, Northwestern, VT, Virginia, and yes got decimated by Clemson.

He also had Duke up 6-0 at the end if the first quarter vs Clemson, the only time they were down in a quarter ALL YEAR 🤔

Daniel Jones's stats don't stand out relative to other recent Duke QBs (though some of the other QBs did get the advantage of being able to throw to Jamison Crowder).

I like his potential as a ball of clay in the right system under the right coach to develop him...but if I'm already using that many qualifiers then I may as well pay less (in draft capital) to take a flier on the even more toolsy Tyree Jackson, depending on their landing spots and eventual pedigrees. 

This is fitting as Jones is probably the guy the Giants have a realistic shot at without trading the farm to trade up to #1 for Haskins. With all the work their OL needs in order to help their QB, stud RB, and receiving weapons develop and succeed, their best bet is to fall in love with a guy who will be there at their spot and use the rest of their picks the next couple years to surround him with more protection and talent. Then again, if their #1 guy is Haskins by a long shot, tough to resist trading the farm to go get your top guy when you have a definite Barkley/OBJ/Shepard/Engram window. Even better to make the big splash on the #1 guy when you're replacing a two-time SB winning probable HOF QB that fans have an emotional attachment to, despite poor play. 

combine hero or do you think itll translate?
I really haven’t seen him play enough to say. I’m just basing it on the hype he had coming out of the season, the great Bowl game, his size and the desperation teams have for QB.Whether he is worth it or not, I just think a team will convince themselves he is.

combine hero or do you think itll translate?
I honestly think both, although more likely a combine hero than instant impact in the pros obviously. But the upside is there. He's had great coaching, been in a pro system throughout college, has all the physical qualities needed to excel. And he will be a duel threat which just adds value in FF. 

I’ll give him a fair shake through the senior bowl and draft process but this doesn’t provide me comfort:

Haskins 70% 9.1 y/a

Murray 69% 11.6 y/a

Lock 62.9% 8.0 y/a

Rypien 67.3% 8.3 y/a

Finley 67.4% 8.1 y/a

Minshaw 70.7% 7.2 y/a

Grier 67% 9.7 y/a

Ta’amu 63.6% 9.4 y/a

Jackson 55.3% 7.7 y/a

Jones 60.5% 6.8 y/a

These are 2018 numbers but I can assure you the career numbers are similar. There was growth over the course of the career but it paled in comparison to other players too. 

The Athletic's Dane Brugler mocked Duke redshirt junior QB Daniel Jones to the Jacksonville Jaguars at No. 7 overall.

Earlier this week, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller said that Jones (6'5/220) will likely be a top-10 selection in the 2019 NFL Draft, and Brugler seems to agree. Brugler says that Jones "might not scream top-10 selection" but the NFL likes his football IQ and his athleticism. With Kyler Murray on the cusp of declaring for the NFL Draft, it will be interesting to see where Murray's draft stock is compared with Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones, and Drew Lock.

Source: The Athletic 

Jan 10 - 5:55 PM

If he throws the same percentage at the Senior Bowl and Combine I'll shut up, but I still think he's absolutely been hamstrung by Duke's margin talent at the skilled positions. I think he will flourish with legit NFL prospects around him. 

ffmail4me said:
If he throws the same percentage at the Senior Bowl and Combine I'll shut up, but I still think he's absolutely been hamstrung by Duke's margin talent at the skilled positions. I think he will flourish with legit NFL prospects around him. 
I don’t expect anyone to shut up, I just think at this point in comparison to those in his class and even other Duke QB’s you have to question the downside here. He has a very lively arm and at times made some nice throws from what I’ve seen. I look forward to PFF’s overview that will break down what he did from a clean pocket which is what I’ll be most interested in.

What does this mean?

What does this mean?
Both Manning brothers work in the offseason with Coach Cutcliffe at Duke (like every single offseason). They have been around Daniel Jones and Cutcliffe a lot. And both have been very complimentary of Jones' talent. Cut has been around a lot of good QBs, so when they all talk so highly of him, I think its note worthy. Just my opinion. 

And it isn't talked about much, but I think he will be able to run the ball in a similar way Cam Newton does.  He's not slight like RG3/L. Jackson, who you have to hold your breath every time they run with the ball praying they aren't injured. Jones is a big dude, and he's bowled over people for first downs and goal line TDs numerous times during his career at Duke.  

While brief here are some good highlights.  Daniel Jones Highlights

ffmail4me said:
Both Manning brothers work in the offseason with Coach Cutcliffe at Duke (like every single offseason). They have been around Daniel Jones and Cutcliffe a lot. And both have been very complimentary of Jones' talent. Cut has been around a lot of good QBs, so when they all talk so highly of him, I think its note worthy. Just my opinion.  
Cool, I knew of the Cutcliffe history but hadn't seen any of Eli's comments anywhere.

I get your point, and Jones didn’t have elite talent, but he did have decent talent. Duke hasn’t recruited any 1-star or 2-star players in many years. The roster is entirely 3-stars with a smattering of 4-star players. Ironically, the only 2-star player I can remember Cutcliffe signing anytime recently was ... Daniel Jones. Jones was a 2-star player and headed to Princeton before he flipped to Duke and agreed to pay his own way at first with the promise that he would get a scholly as soon as one became available. Once they saw him in practice they found one pretty quickly.

Jones’ major problem has been a terrible O-line. His production was hampered by having zero time. 

I get your point, and Jones didn’t have elite talent, but he did have decent talent. Duke hasn’t recruited any 1-star or 2-star players in many years. The roster is entirely 3-stars with a smattering of 4-star players. Ironically, the only 2-star player I can remember Cutcliffe signing anytime recently was ... Daniel Jones. Jones was a 2-star player and headed to Princeton before he flipped to Duke and agreed to pay his own way at first with the promise that he would get a scholly as soon as one became available. Once they saw him in practice they found one pretty quickly.

Jones’ major problem has been a terrible O-line. His production was hampered by having zero time. 
You are correct, just went back and looked and its pretty much all 3 star players (but still, no one rated 4/5 or what most scouts would consider elite) and the only 4 star players sprinkled in over the last 3-4 years are on defense. But you are correct, not a great line as far as pass protection and very little NFL speed or size with his receivers. I do believe he'll shine with better talent around him. 

So read an article this morning about the Senior Bowl this weekend and what QBs could jump to the top of the class, I think the writer must have been reading my posts here ;)

"Jones is the prospect here with the chance to go highest in the draft. Jones is sculpted from the archetype of the league’s quarterbacking past, as he’s 6-foot-5, 220 pounds and has the sturdy composition that NFL body typing has long coveted. Jones is a lock to go in the first round, but what scouts want to see from him this week is how he throws to high-end talent, as his skill position players at Duke were viewed as pedestrian.

Senior Bowl QBs

All 10 fingers and toes crossed he goes to Washington  :popcorn:

This is the prototype QB that Elway seems to love.  Tall, can sling the ball downfield, is athletic enough to move in the pocket a little, has a good football IQ.

This guy does have one very real drawback, and for me it’s a deal breaker (of course that holds absolutely zero water in regard to what happens in the NFL).  He does not seem to generate a lot of velocity when he throws.  There are a lot of guys who can throw the ball way downfield, and even with the touch that Jones has.  But if the ball takes a (relatively) long time to get there, it’s the difference between a legit franchise QB and a bust/clipboard holder.  Until I see something that says otherwise, this guy is going to disappoint any team that reaches for him in the first round - and someone will, likely in the top 10 picks of the draft.

Duke QB Daniel Jones said that he met with the Miami Dolphins on Monday.

Jones passed this nugget along to reporters during his interview run at the Reese's Senior Bowl on Tuesday. Earlier in the day, he measured in at a sturdy 6-foot-5, 220 pounds with 9 3/8-inch hands. As to a potential Miami-Jones marriage, the Dolphins currently hold the No. 13 pick. That could certainly be in range for the Duke signal-caller, though we would be none too surprised if Jones ends up pushing into the top-10 selections by the time April's draft arrives in earnest. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller pegged him to the Jaguars with the No. 7 overall pick in his latest mock draft.

Source: NFL Draft on Twitter 

Jan 22 - 2:01 PM

Faust said:
Duke QB Daniel Jones said that he met with the Miami Dolphins on Monday.

Jones passed this nugget along to reporters during his interview run at the Reese's Senior Bowl on Tuesday. Earlier in the day, he measured in at a sturdy 6-foot-5, 220 pounds with 9 3/8-inch hands. As to a potential Miami-Jones marriage, the Dolphins currently hold the No. 13 pick. That could certainly be in range for the Duke signal-caller, though we would be none too surprised if Jones ends up pushing into the top-10 selections by the time April's draft arrives in earnest. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller pegged him to the Jaguars with the No. 7 overall pick in his latest mock draft.

Source: NFL Draft on Twitter 

Jan 22 - 2:01 PM
6'5", 220 pounds is really not that sturdy. That's a 25.9 BMI, which is way below average for a QB (average is near 28). Over the past decade 15 QBs have had a 400+ yard rushing season; here they are sorted by combine BMI:

29.7    Tim Tebow    6'2.8"    236
29.4    Cam Newton    6'5.0"    248
28.8    Terrelle Pryor    6'4.5"    240
28.8    Tyrod Taylor    6'0.8"    217
28.8    Russell Wilson    5'10.6"    204
28.5    Michael Vick    6'0.0"    210
28.4    Mitch Trubisky    6'2.1"    222
28.3    Robert Griffin III    6'2.4"    223
28.3    Deshaun Watson    6'2.1"    221
28.3    DeShone Kizer    6'4.1"    233
28.2    Josh Allen    6'4.9"    237
27.9    Colin Kaepernick    6'4.6"    233
27.5    Lamar Jackson    6'2.3"    216
27.5    Blake Bortles    6'5.0"    232
26.3    Alex Smith    6'4.1"    217

Alex Smith is the only one below 27.5 BMI, and Daniel Jones is way down at 25.9. Jones is giving up 12 pounds to Bortles, who is the same height and the second-thinnest QB on the list.

6'5", 220 pounds is really not that sturdy. That's a 25.9 BMI, which is way below average for a QB (average is near 28). Over the past decade 15 QBs have had a 400+ yard rushing season; here they are sorted by combine BMI:

29.7    Tim Tebow    6'2.8"    236
29.4    Cam Newton    6'5.0"    248
28.8    Terrelle Pryor    6'4.5"    240
28.8    Tyrod Taylor    6'0.8"    217
28.8    Russell Wilson    5'10.6"    204
28.5    Michael Vick    6'0.0"    210
28.4    Mitch Trubisky    6'2.1"    222
28.3    Robert Griffin III    6'2.4"    223
28.3    Deshaun Watson    6'2.1"    221
28.3    DeShone Kizer    6'4.1"    233
28.2    Josh Allen    6'4.9"    237
27.9    Colin Kaepernick    6'4.6"    233
27.5    Lamar Jackson    6'2.3"    216
27.5    Blake Bortles    6'5.0"    232
26.3    Alex Smith    6'4.1"    217

Alex Smith is the only one below 27.5 BMI, and Daniel Jones is way down at 25.9. Jones is giving up 12 pounds to Bortles, who is the same height and the second-thinnest QB on the list.
Don’t you know that only 5’10 200 lb guys are breakable?... RIP your mentions. 

Duke QB Daniel Jones was picked off twice on Wednesday in practice ahead of the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Both picks came on the left side, with one interception by Delaware safety Nasir Adderley and another by South Dakota's Jordan Brown. Raiders HC Jon Gruden did say he was impressed with all four quarterbacks on Wednesday, but we're not sure what else he would say. Jones has a chance to be among the first quarterbacks selected, but he'll have to show better ball security if that's going to come to fruition.

Source: NFL Draft Scout 

Jan 23 - 8:47 PM

Per the Draft Network: “If this was supposed to be the first step in Jones’ ascension to locking in a Round 1 grade, it did not go as planned. The big Duke quarterback was far too slow in his decision-making from the pocket, often opting to safely check the ball down instead of threaten a tight window. I give him credit for knowing his limitations – his arm is pretty average – but eventually you have to show me you can make high degree of difficulty throws as a quarterback to succeed in the NFL. Jones didn’t do that on tape or in Mobile.”

Poor stats in comparison to his peers and now a poor Senior bowl where the corners have been getting burned pretty routinely and the depth of the CB’s has been low with safety’s having to fill in throughout the week. A big combine won’t do much for me. Maybe he’ll show the Trubisky/Allen athleticism, I’m not really buying what’s being sold right now though.

Per the Draft Network: “If this was supposed to be the first step in Jones’ ascension to locking in a Round 1 grade, it did not go as planned. The big Duke quarterback was far too slow in his decision-making from the pocket, often opting to safely check the ball down instead of threaten a tight window. I give him credit for knowing his limitations – his arm is pretty average – but eventually you have to show me you can make high degree of difficulty throws as a quarterback to succeed in the NFL. Jones didn’t do that on tape or in Mobile.”

Poor stats in comparison to his peers and now a poor Senior bowl where the corners have been getting burned pretty routinely and the depth of the CB’s has been low with safety’s having to fill in throughout the week. A big combine won’t do much for me. Maybe he’ll show the Trubisky/Allen athleticism, I’m not really buying what’s being sold right now though.
:sadbanana: :sadbanana: :sadbanana: (seriously the saddest banana moment I've felt in recent memory) 

Users who are viewing this thread