What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (2 Viewers)

So do The Giants start Eli in one more home game as a swan song,week 2 vs. The Bills? Or do they follow The Mets lead with Pete Alonso and start Jones from week 1?

For all the G.M.'s bluster and the coach's evasive answers they didn't use the #6 overall pick to draft a project or sit him for 3 years. They believe in him enough where

he will be the starter this year,sooner or later. Thoughts? :coffee:
I think the giants will run out Eli until the bitter end.  Let's be honest here, the whole reason the previous coach got canned was because he benched Eli.

Speaking after Daniel Jones' perfect preseason debut Thursday night, coach Pat Shurmur advised fans to "slow your roll" on a potential quarterback controversy.

Eli Manning got the start against the Jets in the exhibition opener, going 1-of-1 for three yards before the offense was booed off the field following a three-and-out. Jones was next up on the team's second series, and the No. 6 overall pick was a perfect 5-of-5 for 67 yards and capped it off with a touchdown pass to Bennie Fowler in the red zone. The media has gone hysterical in its praises of Jones, but Shurmur is right. Jones is very likely better than Manning at this stage of their respective careers, but it was one drive and then he sat the rest of the game. If Jones continues this the remainder of the preseason, however, it'll be tough to "slow your roll." Jones is bound to make year-one starts.

RELATED: 

Eli Manning

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Aug 9, 2019, 10:26 AM ET

Well, there are adjustments to make in certain *cough cough* situations that I won't name for fear of reprisal but should be fairly obvious and glaring right now. 

So do The Giants start Eli in one more home game as a swan song,week 2 vs. The Bills? Or do they follow The Mets lead with Pete Alonso and start Jones from week 1?

For all the G.M.'s bluster and the coach's evasive answers they didn't use the #6 overall pick to draft a project or sit him for 3 years. They believe in him enough where

he will be the starter this year,sooner or later. Thoughts? :coffee:
Teams Almost always make changes after their bye week. 

Tex

BigTex said:
Teams Almost always make changes after their bye week. 

Tex
Giants bye is week 11. Much too late imop. If Eli struggles in September Jones will be starting by Columbus Weekend.

Interesting observation :thumbup:
Thanks. I'd double check that, but I think his final stat line was that drive. Yeah, his final stat line was 5-5, 67 yards, 1 TD. That was the drive, if I'm not mistaken. No other highlights exist, so...

wgoldsph said:
I think the giants will run out Eli until the bitter end.  Let's be honest here, the whole reason the previous coach got canned was because he benched Eli.
McAdoo wasn’t fired because he benched Eli. McAdoo got fired because he benched Eli in favor of Geno Smith and not 3rd round rookie Davis Webb. 

Every time i watched Jones in college, he was the best player on the field. He is a good leader and a good producer. Will be a good 15 year pro that will keep the NYG on the hunt for a Superbowl every year.
That’s a BOLD statement.

Every time i watched Jones in college, he was the best player on the field. He is a good leader and a good producer. Will be a good 15 year pro that will keep the NYG on the hunt for a Superbowl every year.
You must have been busy watching something else when Duke played Clemson 

I'm no gambler, but I lean that way. I'll go under. They pulled him after one drive, if I'm reading correctly. You do that with starters, not backups.
I think the rain delay had more to do with him being pulled, I recall hearing that Jones was going to play a lot in the 1st half prior to the game

I think the rain delay had more to do with him being pulled, I recall hearing that Jones was going to play a lot in the 1st half prior to the game
Absolutely. Got it. Makes total sense. Why risk it? That's why I wanted people to check my work here...and you did. Thank you.

Thanks. I'd double check that, but I think his final stat line was that drive. Yeah, his final stat line was 5-5, 67 yards, 1 TD. That was the drive, if I'm not mistaken. No other highlights exist, so...
The rain delay may have had something to do with him only playing one series? And Eli started the game and also only played one series. Went three and out.

The rain delay may have had something to do with him only playing one series? And Eli started the game and also only played one series. Went three and out.
Yep. See Yenrub's comment. He's also gently telling me what you gently told me.

Still under eight. 

Last edited by a moderator:
TheWinz said:
O/U on Jones starting by week 8?
Speculation from many beat writers is that the Giants will stay with Eli as long as they are in playoff contention.

The 1st time in the schedule that would make sense to get Jones ready to start is week 7 against the Cardinals. The Giants play NE on Thursday of week 6.

That being said there is a decent chance that they are 3-3 after six weeks, if they are I doubt they will pull Eli.

Lets be real...Giants are already out of playoff contention
That whole conference should be out of playoff contention.  Are they just going to give the thing to the eagles before the season starts or wait to see if Wentz breaks his leg first?

*edit, I just remembered the cowboys exist.  Oh man...

Then Jones should start in week 1,take his lumps,learn and the Giants will get OBJ's replacement with a top 10 pick next year.
Yeah, and if the giants knew what they were doing they would have used their pick on Haskins, traded back, or waited until next year to get one of the qbs in that draft.  But they're the giants.

Jordan Raanan @JordanRaanan

Daniel Jones finishes 11-of-14 passing for 161 yards with a TD pass and two fumbles in his second outing. Some ups and downs in his first game experience facing pressure. Ball security needs work, but leaves on a high note after a perfect TD toss to T.J. Jones. #Giants

When there is a yin there is a yang. Analytics got their boy in Baker last year, film grinders got their guy in Daniel Jones. He really does have some Peyton-esk throws in him. I won’t crown him but I’m big enough to say I was wrong. Good thing I got him in the 4th of one rookie draft as a saving grace.

ETA: Hard to not root for a guy who has been completely humble during all of this too despite ### hole NY fans booing him at a Yankees game.

Bears aren’t playing their starters on Friday night

The Bears announced that 25 other players will sit out the team’s second preseason game of the summer. The list encompasses just about all of the team’s regulars on both sides of the ball.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geoff Schwartz‏Verified account @geoffschwartz

It’s not going to happen but I’d love to see Daniel Jones get some reps against the 1 defense this preseason. Wasn’t even an opportunity tonight with the Bears playing a team of dudes who will be cut next week but he’s looked good so far.

6:02 PM - 16 Aug 2019

Yeah, and if the giants knew what they were doing they would have used their pick on Haskins, traded back, or waited until next year to get one of the qbs in that draft.  But they're the giants.
Haskins? imop Jones will be the better NFL qb. Last year the "experts" dissed The Giants for taking Barkley as I recall,saying they should have taken Eli's heir with that pick. I know it's only been 1 year but I'm gonna say they were wrong. There was no question this year Jones would be taken in the first round. The "experts" dissed The Giants for taking him at #6 instaed of waiting later in the round,after The Redskins pick,who would have taken Jones not Haskins in spite of Snyder saying Haskins was their man all along. We may not see it this year,or we might,but in my humble opinion history will show they made the right move(s)

Haskins? imop Jones will be the better NFL qb. Last year the "experts" dissed The Giants for taking Barkley as I recall,saying they should have taken Eli's heir with that pick. I know it's only been 1 year but I'm gonna say they were wrong. There was no question this year Jones would be taken in the first round. The "experts" dissed The Giants for taking him at #6 instaed of waiting later in the round,after The Redskins pick,who would have taken Jones not Haskins in spite of Snyder saying Haskins was their man all along. We may not see it this year,or we might,but in my humble opinion history will show they made the right move(s)

There is no question in my mind the Giants would be better long-term with Darnold last year and the #6 pick spent elsewhere this year, and $22M+ in cap dollars without Eli's corpse. And who knows, OBJ may have stuck around with Darnold. To me it's super obvious. 

There is no question in my mind the Giants would be better long-term with Darnold last year and the #6 pick spent elsewhere this year, and $22M+ in cap dollars without Eli's corpse. And who knows, OBJ may have stuck around with Darnold. To me it's super obvious. 
As much as I love Barkley, you and ilov80s always remind me of the pay scale and slotted picks when I think about Saquon going #2. Darnold, Barkley, maybe OBJ sounds like almost a no-brainer at that point, though my gut still likes the Barkley pick for some reason. 

As much as I love Barkley, you and ilov80s always remind me of the pay scale and slotted picks when I think about Saquon going #2. Darnold, Barkley, maybe OBJ sounds like almost a no-brainer at that point, though my gut still likes the Barkley pick for some reason. 
I will say that as someone watching the games, having something fun to watch each week has an almost unquantifiable value. In that regard Barkley carries plenty of value you can't account for, from a fan perspective. People say they just want SB's, and that they'll even sacrifice now to get one later...but there's something to be said for sitting on your couch or in the stadium and just watching a great player be great every week. Most teams don't have the luxury of that player also being a QB, if they have anyone great at all. 

I will say that as someone watching the games, having something fun to watch each week has an almost unquantifiable value. In that regard Barkley carries plenty of value you can't account for, from a fan perspective. People say they just want SB's, and that they'll even sacrifice now to get one later...but there's something to be said for sitting on your couch or in the stadium and just watching a great player be great every week. Most teams don't have the luxury of that player also being a QB, if they have anyone great at all. 
Preach. So true. I still like the 2003 Red Sox team that came up short as my favorite team of all-time in baseball. Sometimes it's not the titles, you just dig the composition, the talent there, etc.

OBJ was leaving no matter who the Giants drafted,he was "disrespected"(bs). Drafts take a few years to judge. I'll wait a few down the road and then see if Darnold would have been the better pick. But for now I'll go with Barkley.

OBJ was leaving no matter who the Giants drafted,he was "disrespected"(bs). Drafts take a few years to judge. I'll wait a few down the road and then see if Darnold would have been the better pick. But for now I'll go with Barkley.
It doesn't matter if Barkley is Barry Sanders 2.0 (or better - which he may just end up being).  With the rookie pay scale a top ten qb is worth so much more to a team than a top ten rb it's not comparable.

wgoldsph said:
It doesn't matter if Barkley is Barry Sanders 2.0 (or better - which he may just end up being).  With the rookie pay scale a top ten qb is worth so much more to a team than a top ten rb it's not comparable.
Fair enough. I believe they have that top 10 QB. Darnold and whatever pre Barkley RB or Jones and Barkley. I'll go with the latter. And thanks for an interesting and informative discussion,that's sometimes rare here. Good luck to you this season.

Fair enough. I believe they have that top 10 QB. Darnold and whatever pre Barkley RB or Jones and Barkley. I'll go with the latter. And thanks for an interesting and informative discussion,that's sometimes rare here. Good luck to you this season.
My argument isn't that it's Darnold and a Rando rb VS Barkley and Jones.  It's Darnold, the 2019 6th overall pick, and a Rando rb VS Barkley and Jones.  Basically picking Barkley put them a year behind on qb development and they're still on the hook for Eli.

And hey man, don't need to thank me for talking football!  Best of luck to you too!

My argument isn't that it's Darnold and a Rando rb VS Barkley and Jones.  It's Darnold, the 2019 6th overall pick, and a Rando rb VS Barkley and Jones.  Basically picking Barkley put them a year behind on qb development and they're still on the hook for Eli.

And hey man, don't need to thank me for talking football!  Best of luck to you too!
So for arguments sake... 

Darnold + TJ Yeldon + a defensive player I assume at 1.6

vs

Barkley and Jones 

I still take Jones/Barkley. 

In fact, I still take Jones/Barkley if its Darnold/L.Bell on a big contract/6th overall pick which I assume is defensive player. 

So for arguments sake... 

Darnold + TJ Yeldon + a defensive player I assume at 1.6

vs

Barkley and Jones 

I still take Jones/Barkley. 

In fact, I still take Jones/Barkley if its Darnold/L.Bell on a big contract/6th overall pick which I assume is defensive player. 
You're missing the Manning sized elephant in the room.

Jones + Barkley + Elis contact

Vs

Darnold + Yeldon + 1.6 defense + single big fa addition or multiple small fa additions

Darnold or whoever would have allowed the giants to move past Eli at the end of last season when he clearly had no juice left, instead of them pretending he's got three years left to play.   The giants are a team with multiple holes.

All that said, I'm biased as I still don't think Jones will hold up when he's tasked with a full playbook against a 1st team defense.  Does he look great playing a dumbed down offense against 2nd and 3rd stringers?  Yes.  If he didn't that would be a pretty big problem.  Otherwise his preseason line hasn't shown much to me we didn't already know.

You're missing the Manning sized elephant in the room.

Jones + Barkley + Elis contact

Vs

Darnold + Yeldon + 1.6 defense + single big fa addition or multiple small fa additions

Darnold or whoever would have allowed the giants to move past Eli at the end of last season when he clearly had no juice left, instead of them pretending he's got three years left to play.   The giants are a team with multiple holes.

All that said, I'm biased as I still don't think Jones will hold up when he's tasked with a full playbook against a 1st team defense.  Does he look great playing a dumbed down offense against 2nd and 3rd stringers?  Yes.  If he didn't that would be a pretty big problem.  Otherwise his preseason line hasn't shown much to me we didn't already know.
You keep moving the goal posts here. 

I still take Eli. Jones may not be ready to start day 1. Allowing him to get through the learning curve as much as possible by holding a clipboard is worth every penny of Elis contract

I still take Eli. Jones may not be ready to start day 1. Allowing him to get through the learning curve as much as possible by holding a clipboard is worth every penny of Elis contract
We're just going to have to agree to disagree on Jones.

McCown or Tannehill are just as good as Eli, but that’s another discussion.

McCown or Tannehill are just as good as Eli, but that’s another discussion. 
That would be an interesting what if question,, but one can say there's something to be said about being familiar with the offense and the players. Cutting Eli in 2019 meant 11 million in dead cap also. Eli is probably worth more than 12 million (cap savings in cutting him) to the Giants, but not to any other NFL team

Users who are viewing this thread