What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Daniel Jones, NYG (1 Viewer)

Starting him over Newton (even if he plays) and Trubisky in 1 league and in another starting him over Flacco, Bridgewater and Minshew who are all on the wire (lost Brees in this league) I think he's going to surprise a lot of people. He's tough (and will need to be behind that line) and I could see running for 50 yards and a score. 
:bowtie:  This kid has the goods 

Unreal first game for Daniel Jones. One of the best I've ever seen by any QB. 336 passing yards, 28 rushing yards, 2 passing TDs, 2 rushing TDs.  ❤️ :pickle: :clap:
You must not watch much football.  I mean, really?  One of the best ever you've seen?  This is kind of what we call a half game in KC each week. Lol..  

Daniel Jones completed 23-of-36 passes for 336 yards and two scores, adding four carries for 28 yards and another two touchdowns on the ground in New York's thrilling Week 3 victory over the Bucs.

It was a first start for the ages as Jones bucked constant duress and Saquon Barkley's (ankle) absence in the second half to drive the Giants on an eight-play, 75-yard game-winning drive with only three minutes remaining in regulation. Jones' seven-yard touchdown scramble with 1:16 left was nearly overshadowed by Mike Evans' huge 44-yard catch to put the Bucs in field goal range, but Matt Gay missed the layup to hand the Giants their first regular season win of the year. The rookie's two rushing touchdowns already surpassed Eli Manning's single-season high (1) in 15 years as the team's starter. It's not a stretch to consider Jones a QB1 the rest of the way given his rushing floor. His presence under center is also terrific news for Sterling Shepard (7/100/1) and Evan Engram (6/113/1) for the remainder of the season.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:28 PM ET

You must not watch much football.  I mean, really?  One of the best ever you've seen?  This is kind of what we call a half game in KC each week. Lol..  
I said best FIRST game as a starter by a QB. I know Mahomes has no equal and is nothing short of amazing. But for a rookie QB's first game, you don't think he wasn't impressive?!?! 

If Cleveland loses tonight, I really hope Jones says something about Baker.
Why?  Baker made a mistake and probably phrased it horribly  but I legitimately think that his comment was taken out of context.  He already apologized to Jones about it.  Not sure why Jones would even think to go there.

Lots of crow eating in here this season...
I drafted Daniel in the 3rd of my Rookie Draft. While I suuuuuper glad about his performance, I’m not going to get overconfident either. I’m glad what we saw in preseason show up today now let’s continue this roll!

Tex

Lots of crow eating in here this season...
Lots indeed. Giants fans who slammed the  team for drafting him, so-called draft experts who thought his body of work at Duke was a clear sign of bust, most of the fantasy community, and so on...

Pains me to see as a Jets fan, but while it’s only one game, looks like the Giants hit it again.

Why?  Baker made a mistake and probably phrased it horribly  but I legitimately think that his comment was taken out of context.  He already apologized to Jones about it.  Not sure why Jones would even think to go there.
“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield told the magazine in a long feature. “That’s where people go wrong. They forget you’ve gotta win.”

Mayfield is certainly not alone. Many have questioned the Giants’ decision to take Jones over Ohio State star Dwayne Haskins (13-1 in his one season as Buckeyes starter) or why GM Dave Gettleman did not wait until the No. 17 pick if he was determined to grab Jones.

“I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” said Mayfield, who was motivated to make the comments by a “SportsCenter” segment on Jones.

The interview may have taken place earlier in the summer before Jones had two impressive preseason performances for the Giants, thus far completing 16-of-19 passes for 228 yards and two touchdowns. Two preseason victories might not be enough to change Mayfield’s opinion, though.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“Either you have a history of winning and being that guy for your team, or you don’t,” said Mayfield, who went 7-7 last year after taking over the Browns starting job during a Week 3 victory over the Jets.

How do you put that in context?

“Some people overthink it,” Mayfield told the magazine in a long feature. “That’s where people go wrong. They forget you’ve gotta win.”

Mayfield is certainly not alone. Many have questioned the Giants’ decision to take Jones over Ohio State star Dwayne Haskins (13-1 in his one season as Buckeyes starter) or why GM Dave Gettleman did not wait until the No. 17 pick if he was determined to grab Jones.

“I cannot believe the Giants took Daniel Jones,” said Mayfield, who was motivated to make the comments by a “SportsCenter” segment on Jones.

The interview may have taken place earlier in the summer before Jones had two impressive preseason performances for the Giants, thus far completing 16-of-19 passes for 228 yards and two touchdowns. Two preseason victories might not be enough to change Mayfield’s opinion, though.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“Either you have a history of winning and being that guy for your team, or you don’t,” said Mayfield, who went 7-7 last year after taking over the Browns starting job during a Week 3 victory over the Jets.

Ya I don't think it was out of context in the slightest.  He's got that cockiness to him which isn't hidden well (or tried to be hidden).  I didn't actually hear the apology, but I doubt he felt that awful about it.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

Honestly I don’t know what he actually said in that interview but he apparently denied saying some of those things that were quoted.  He then went out and apologized to Jones.  And Jones appears to have no hard feelings.  So I’m not sure why Jones would taunt Mayfield at this point.  Just seems like water under the bridge.   :shrug:  

Honestly I don’t know what he actually said in that interview but he apparently denied saying some of those things that were quoted.  He then went out and apologized to Jones.  And Jones appears to have no hard feelings.  So I’m not sure why Jones would taunt Mayfield at this point.  Just seems like water under the bridge.   :shrug:  
I don't want or expect Jones to taunt mayfield but most of these interviews on tape, if he didn't say what was said, he could sue them for defamation.  Its much easier to believe a mouthy guy is mouthy.  

As he stands he's about 25 minutes from having the same record as the Giants who don't know what they're doing.

Was being facetious.  Didn't actually think Jones would come off a great game/big win and actually publicly bash Baker. 

As a Giants fan, I'm more than happy to eat the crow. Still, would have preferred a Josh Allen followed by Daniel Jones first round though.
At this point, if has to make you wonder whether ghettleman was right in that others were interested before their second pick...

At this point, if has to make you wonder whether ghettleman was right in that others were interested before their second pick...
So many people need to eat crow on giving Gettleman crap for this pick. He absolutely nailed this selection. 

This class is going to produce several good qbs when we thoight it woukd maybe produce 1

So many people need to eat crow on giving Gettleman crap for this pick. He absolutely nailed this selection. 

This class is going to produce several good qbs when we thoight it woukd maybe produce 1
I still see people criticizing the pick and justifying it as they shouldn't have picked him at 6. To me, if you like a guy you take him. You don't take the chance someone else will grab him.

I grabbed him from free agency for s***s and giggles.

Then dropped him before game time for Justice hill.

This may end up being his best game of the season but, I think he can be a solid QB1 especially with so many injuries.

Fantasy football stats to know from Week 3

Excerpt:

3. In his first career start, Daniel Jones totaled 34.2 fantasy points (second-best on the week) and helped lead the Giants to their largest come-from-behind victory in 49 years. This ranked behind Eric Hipple (42.7) and just ahead of Daunte Culpepper (30.9) and Cam Newton(30.7) for the most fantasy points scored by a quarterback in his first career start all-time.

Jones was a controversial prospect coming out of the draft, with a lot of question marks, but this was an encouraging start to his career. And this comes following an equally encouraging preseason, where Jones led all (112 qualifying) quarterbacks in completion percentage (85.3%), yards per attempt (12.2), and passer rating (137.3). Given Eli Manning’s performance this season, and in recent years, I don’t think it’s a stretch to assume Jones is an upgrade to all New York pass-catchers. Further, I think Jones has high-end QB2 upside given the state of the defense (which should lead the Giants to lean pass-heavy) and rushing appeal (four attempts for 28 yards and two touchdowns).

Also of note: Jones’ performance under pressure:

Scott Barrett @ScottBarrettDFB

FYI, that's the 4th-most pressured passing yards by any QB in any regular season game in PFF history (2007-2019)

Over that span, there are 1,674 instances of a QB attempting at least 12 pressured pass attempts in a game. Jones is the first to record a perfect passer rating 

Pat Thorman (@Pat_Thorman) Tweeted:

#Giants Daniel Jones was under pressure on 47% of his dropbacks (3rd highest of Week 3).

He competed 80% of pressured attempts for 233 yards, 2 TDs, and a perfect 158.3 passer rating.

https://twitter.com/Pat_Thorman/status/1176079450729041920?s=17

Pat Thorman @Pat_Thorman

#Giants Daniel Jones was under pressure on 47% of his dropbacks (3rd highest of Week 3).

He competed 80% of pressured attempts for 233 yards, 2 TDs, and a perfect 158.3 passer rating.

Have Jones in my mainer as he was on the wire, don't have him in my most fun/competitive as his FAAB as soon as he was named the starter was 50%.

He's gonna be good. It's interesting. He'll probably put up better stats than Mayfield this year given Mayfield's schedule. 

I said best FIRST game as a starter by a QB. I know Mahomes has no equal and is nothing short of amazing. But for a rookie QB's first game, you don't think he wasn't impressive?!?! 
Honestly, I'm mixed on the performance.  I know everyone will say he did things Eli can't do with his legs and all that. Bottom line is, they won and I'm not dismissing that.  I just sit on the fence on the turnovers and the fact they dug themselves a big hole to begin with.  That's not ideal.  

Shutout said:
Honestly, I'm mixed on the performance.  I know everyone will say he did things Eli can't do with his legs and all that. Bottom line is, they won and I'm not dismissing that.  I just sit on the fence on the turnovers and the fact they dug themselves a big hole to begin with.  That's not ideal.  
Agreed that it was an inspiring win, but it is worrying as a Giants fan that he doesn’t really feel pressure coming at him with relatively poor ball security. Won’t take long for that to ruin him.

I don’t blame him for not being in sync the first half, it is his first start.

Some lovely throws too but none that were super wowing from a technical point of view. Not that you NEED to impress on every throw, just would have been nice to see.

voiceofunreason said:
Still a pretty bad supporting cast, especially if Barkley is out. For redraft I wouldn't get too carried away.
I wouldn't waste all my budget or even a top waiver on him unless you are desperate but yea...he had a great match-up for game 1. He has a solid one for his next game but his upcoming schedule is tough.

Users who are viewing this thread