What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Have you ridiculed "the other side"? (1 Viewer)

dutch

Footballguy
Spin-off of Bobby Lane's thread, have you personally gone to the insult, ridicule, mock, make fun of, call names side when talking to OR about the folks on the other side of the political spectrum?  ANd yes, I am aware there are shades of gray but the both sides Im speaking of are Trump supporter, nominal or ardent, and Trump "haters" which can mean never Trumpers or out and out despisers.

I have gone low and I have thrown around pejoratives at and about others.  Sometimes I kick myself a bit for doing it but usually I just move on.

I do try not to make a habit of it but I am a weak man.

Last edited by a moderator:
The individuals?  For the most part, no.....the positions they hold?  Absolutely.  There is a poster or two where I have let their previous posting history filter into comments of today and I make assumptions that might not be warranted.  That's tough for me to avoid.

I think this is the most important part. Kudos to anyone who is capable of never uttering a cruel word about someone else, but we all have our moments of weakness. But insulting others shouldn't be part of who we are.

Oh yeah, fir sure in here it happens a lot but I am also wondering if ti's been done in the real world.  My good friend who also happens to be a Trump supporter and I have agreed to table certain discussions cuz we get to a point where the words would not be kind if we keep going.

And this wall topic is a definite firestarter.  I will not be discussing tonights political theater with her at all.

Oh yeah, fir sure in here it happens a lot but I am also wondering if ti's been done in the real world.  My good friend who also happens to be a Trump supporter and I have agreed to table certain discussions cuz we get to a point where the words would not be kind if we keep going.
In the real world it’s very rare for me to have any interactions with Trump supporters, so I don’t think I’ve ridiculed any to their faces.

In the real world, I'm sure it happens far less often face-to-face like it does in here. In the real world, it's mostly behind people's backs. Which is better?

In the real world, I'm sure it happens far less often face-to-face like it does in here. In the real world, it's mostly behind people's backs. Which is better?
Yep, gets to my point somewhat.  When I vist my brother and some good friendss of ours we are in our MSNBC buuble and we offer up what we really think about Trump and his supporters in an unfttered way.

When I visit my girlfriends family they pull no punches talking about us wacky libs and are free with the potshots and trying to pull me into political talks.  I usually play it off and politely demure and just grab a beer and smile.

All the time, though I try to take it easy on those unable to defend themselves. The opponents who have generally been in positions of power most of my life are fair game and they're gonna keep getting shots from me until I'm six feet deep.

Pretty much every day? Sinner saved by grace sumtin sumtin blood of Jesus sumtin sumtin..

I started watching MSNBC in earnest after the 2016 election, just as a daily “am I crazy or is this not normal” check. Much of their content is “You’re NOT gonna believe this” schtick (to be fair, this administration has a legit “I cannot believe they did that” quality.) No question that daily intake influences how I view certain positions.

I try not to personalize anything, we’re just strangers passing each other in cyber space. I am usually indirect & subtle, I don’t direct attacks at individuals - almost always it’s directed at DJT or the abstract “Trumpkins” but I find myself literally  laughing out loud as I read or respond to these threads.

I wish I were a better man.

IRL? Pain avoidance 24/7/365. Once in awhile I verbally knock my big brother upside the head, or I might try to gently appeal to the better nature of my CEO’s angels. Most in my office and my profession and my industry are Rs so I don’t bring up politics or walk away/out (if possible) when it comes up.

Yep, gets to my point somewhat.  When I vist my brother and some good friendss of ours we are in our MSNBC buuble and we offer up what we really think about Trump and his supporters in an unfttered way.

When I visit my girlfriends family they pull no punches talking about us wacky libs and are free with the potshots and trying to pull me into political talks.  I usually play it off and politely demure and just grab a beer and smile.
I have an aunt who is extremely outspoken about her political beliefs. Large holiday gatherings have had a tenancy to get awkward over the past couple years.

This past thanksgiving was amazing though. Very few political issues were discussed between the family.  We all had fun and it felt like the good old days.  

Come to find out her daughter (who shares almost the same political views) was so tired of the constant back and forth that she threatened to take a shot of alcohol every time her mom brought up trump.  Considering she was staying with her mom all weekend, I can see why my aunt didn't think it was worth it.

Ballsy play by my cousin through.  She could have died. 

IRL and in here I hope I do a pretty good job of keeping things respectful on a personal level. I may sometimes fail. 

But as far as public figures and policy within the administration I am abusive and ruthless. No mercy. 

In real life I handle things the same way as here, though I am much more measured in my words in person than I am on here.  I spend a lot of time clarifying here where I normally don't have to IRL.

Sadly, I've gone beyond ridicule. I've simply tuned Trump and his supporters out. They've had their shot and proven to be nothing but an engine of bad ideas aggressively forwarded. I don't have the time or energy to entertain their viewpoints anymore, I just ignore them.

I don't like SUPER PC

I don't like RACIST HATE

I don't like policies on both sides.

I feel people less fortunate should be helped but people that can should work

I feel the super rich have it too easy tax wise

I feel you should protect the environment.

I feel you should be allowed to own guns "within reason"   (not debating that here)

I could go on.

So basically I hate everyone    :)

It is hard for me to fathom how one can be a Democrat these days and even more shocking how these progressive candidates are gaining popularity.  I continue to be amazed at how left leaning this forum is but I have just come to the realization that people just see the world differently.  

I don't like SUPER PC

I don't like RACIST HATE

I feel you should be allowed to own guns "within reason"   (not debating that here)

I could go on.

The feeling is mutual.

It is hard for me to fathom how one can be a Democrat these days and even more shocking how these progressive candidates are gaining popularity.  I continue to be amazed at how left leaning this forum is but I have just come to the realization that people just see the world differently.  
That is very much how Democrats feel about Republicans. As someone that used to be a regular Republican voter, I have to side with the Democrats here. The GOP has taken a very dark turn IMO. 

Don't Noonan said:
Care to expand on your last sentence?  
I was on board with balanced budget, lowering government spending, putting more control into local government and generally a more pro-individual liberty approach. I look at it now and I don't see the concern for any of that anymore. They aren't reducing the defecit. They seem to be rolling back safety measures to protect citizens and our natural resources from corporations. The Party chose Trump over reasonable candidates. Trump is a crook, a liar, a swindler and a moron. The Party that really sold itself as the Party of core traditional values seems like a total fraud to me. On so many social issues, I find myself strongly disagreeing with the GOP. Not just like agree to disagree, but actually finding their side hateful and deceitful. Some examples were the lies told during the election about GOP has worked hard to protect things like pre-existing conditions or anti-transgender venom I have heard from GOP voters or the wild conspiracies about Pizzagate or the Obama's being Muslim terrorists. I want nothing to do with them. 

I was on board with balanced budget, lowering government spending, putting more control into local government and generally a more pro-individual liberty approach. I look at it now and I don't see the concern for any of that anymore. They aren't reducing the defecit. They seem to be rolling back safety measures to protect citizens and our natural resources from corporations. The Party chose Trump over reasonable candidates. Trump is a crook, a liar, a swindler and a moron. The Party that really sold itself as the Party of core traditional values seems like a total fraud to me. On so many social issues, I find myself strongly disagreeing with the GOP. Not just like agree to disagree, but actually finding their side hateful and deceitful. Some examples were the lies told during the election about GOP has worked hard to protect things like pre-existing conditions or anti-transgender venom I have heard from GOP voters or the wild conspiracies about Pizzagate or the Obama's being Muslim terrorists. I want nothing to do with them. 
Thanks for the reply.  There are wild conspiracies on both sides so I am sure you want nothing to do with the left conspiracies as well.  I can agree with you that there were much better choices than Trump, I voted for Cruz in the primaries but would have been just as happy with Rubio.  Trump is even more divisive than Obama and everyone knew his personality going in and he still got elected.  That being said, the economy is booming right now and Trump deserves a lot of credit.  That alone validates my vote for him over Hillary.

Thanks for the reply.  There are wild conspiracies on both sides so I am sure you want nothing to do with the left conspiracies as well.  I can agree with you that there were much better choices than Trump, I voted for Cruz in the primaries but would have been just as happy with Rubio.  Trump is even more divisive than Obama and everyone knew his personality going in and he still got elected.  That being said, the economy is booming right now and Trump deserves a lot of credit.  That alone validates my vote for him over Hillary.
You are welcome. Are their liberal wild conspiracies getting as much attention as day Infowars? I don’t want anything to do with crazy people on either end but for example is there a left version of infowars that has that kind of massive following?

As for the economy, it was booming before the election so I’m not sure Trump gets any special credit for that. 

I voted Kasich in the primary and Hillary in the election. Trump is everything I don’t want in a politician or a person. I still can’t wrap my head around how anyone voted for him in anyway other than as a joke.

belljr said:
I don't like SUPER PC

I don't like RACIST HATE

I could go on.

You have my vote!!

Be careful though...in this forum your post could be deciphered into you are a Trump supporter. :D

Well, i rarely talk politics to Trumpheads more than once because, as Palin was before him, support of the current President is an automatic disqualifier of rationality. No matter if they really want to or merely feel they must in Republican solidarity, they have crossed a line that de-legitimizes virtually anything they have to say. I love to discuss policy & progress, but am not on a side and rarely take a side - though my politics are so left theyre right - so there are disqualifiers on the liberal side (the New Puritanism, for example) too, though not as instant, obvious or irredeemable.

ETA: I do listen to a lot of showbizters making fun of Trump, but not all. Trevor Noah, Sam B have lost their senses of humor over this (tho i'm not entirely sure Noah has one) so theyre str8out; Seth Meyers is a grrrreat joke writer who daily becomes more & more strident and is very close to my not list; Colbert has settled back to making fun of the bull#### & not the perps (as his old boss did), so he's tolerable; SNL is joke2joke and Kimmel's the only one who's passably funny & hasn't really crossed the line

Nope.

My interactions has been when a liberal gets frustrated, they immediately launch to name calling.  Mainly because they don't know what else to do.

Speaking the truth isn't ridiculing... it is educating. 
Politics used to be one of those topics people understood to be largely based on opinion. Trump has obviously shifted that dynamic since he tells so many blatant lies, but he hasnt shifted it as much lefties pretend he has. 

I disagree is replaced with you are wrong far too often. 

Politics used to be one of those topics people understood to be largely based on opinion. Trump has obviously shifted that dynamic since he tells so many blatant lies, but he hasnt shifted it as much lefties pretend he has. 

I disagree is replaced with you are wrong far too often. 
No, now we have facts at the tips of our fingers. Anyone can do research, cross reference, look for studies, etc. etc. etc. People don't or won't do that. They believe what they want to believe is factual in nature - when it is not. Abortion stances are opinions, but climate change is not an opinion. I could go on, and on, and on. Trump has shifted the dynamic because nearly every single stance he has taken on an issue is based on a lie - and then he repeats these lies. If you think the dynamic hasn't changed then you haven't been paying attention.

Gr00vus said:
Sadly, I've gone beyond ridicule. I've simply tuned Trump and his supporters out. They've had their shot and proven to be nothing but an engine of bad ideas aggressively forwarded. I don't have the time or energy to entertain their viewpoints anymore, I just ignore them.
This is where I’m at now, but I’ve absolutely ridiculed family face to face and over the phone in the past. I have no patience for nasty, hypocritical, selfish people. However, i’ve also learned that the nasty,  ignorant, uneducated, and blissfully uninformed often prefer that state, so the ridicule is essentially wasted.

Now I just-as you say-tune them out. I don’t talk politics with acquaintances-I’d probably end up shot or have my house vandalized where I live. It’s not the “heart” of Trump country by any means but it’s certainly well represented.

This is where I’m at now, but I’ve absolutely ridiculed family face to face and over the phone in the past. I have no patience for nasty, hypocritical, selfish people. However, i’ve also learned that the nasty,  ignorant, uneducated, and blissfully uninformed often prefer that state, so the ridicule is essentially wasted.
You do realize that you are speaking about Democrats and the ones that blindly follow them as well?

You are welcome. Are their liberal wild conspiracies getting as much attention as day Infowars? I don’t want anything to do with crazy people on either end but for example is there a left version of infowars that has that kind of massive following?

As for the economy, it was booming before the election so I’m not sure Trump gets any special credit for that. 

I voted Kasich in the primary and Hillary in the election. Trump is everything I don’t want in a politician or a person. I still can’t wrap my head around how anyone voted for him in anyway other than as a joke.
Have to laugh, in a thread about people ridiculing each other we have a perfect example of two people speaking respectfully with each other.

Don't Noonan said:
It is hard for me to fathom how one can be a Democrat these days and even more shocking how these progressive candidates are gaining popularity. 
It's simple.  They are offering up policies that are popular.

It's simple.  They are offering up policies that are popular.
Well sure, free health care, free education, free income sounds great but it is just completely unreasonable.  Let's get back to working hard for success, tje true capitalistic American way.  Everyone has there hand out nowadays.  Half the country doesn't pay federal income tax and guess who is asking for the rich to pay their fair share?  Give me a break, it is disgusting.

Well sure, free health care, free education, free income sounds great but it is just completely unreasonable.  Let's get back to working hard for success, tje true capitalistic American way.  Everyone has there hand out nowadays.  Half the country doesn't pay federal income tax and guess who is asking for the rich to pay their fair share?  Give me a break, it is disgusting.
Disgusting?

I've ridiculed the other side.  I find many of their views ridiculous. 

However, I have close family members that I love who hold some of those positions, which keeps me from going overboard in my feelings about those who hold them.

People can hold absolutely ridiculous positions, and still be overall good people.  Simply mistaken.  Ridiculously so.

dutch said:
Spin-off of Bobby Lane's thread, have you personally gone to the insult, ridicule, mock, make fun of, call names side when talking to OR about the folks on the other side of the political spectrum?  ANd yes, I am aware there are shades of gray but the both sides Im speaking of are Trump supporter, nominal or ardent, and Trump "haters" which can mean never Trumpers or out and out despisers.

I have gone low and I have thrown around pejoratives at and about others.  Sometimes I kick myself a bit for doing it but usually I just move on.

All the freaking time, my new pet name for my wife is Trumpkin.

How did we pay for the 1.8 trillion in tax cuts?  I will stop here so we can go statement by statement.

Users who are viewing this thread