What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Colts nailed the 2018 and are setting themselves up extremely well for the future (1 Viewer)

elguapo07

Footballguy
1.6 Q Nelson G ND - All Pro

2.36th  Darius Leonard LB S Car St - All Pro

2.37 B Smith G Auburn - starter 

2.52 Kemko Turay DE Rutgers - solid rookie who flashed upside

4.104 Nyheim Hines RB NC State - solid role player 

5.169 Jordan Wilkins RB Ole Miss - another solid piece. 

They have young talent, picks and I believe cap space to really become one of top teams in AFC for the near future. 

They have young talent, picks and I believe cap space to really become one of top teams in AFC for the near future. 
Yes they crushed the draft and Luck's injury sort of allowed them to do an NFL version ofwhat the Spurs did the year Robinson got hurt and they got Duncan.

But to heck with the future disclaimer. They are one of the top teams in the AFC right now.

Yes they crushed the draft and Luck's injury sort of allowed them to do an NFL version ofwhat the Spurs did the year Robinson got hurt and they got Duncan.

But to heck with the future disclaimer. They are one of the top teams in the AFC right now.
That's an excellent analogy. 

They have the most cap space (before possible offseason cuts) heading into the offseason.  Along with the space-heavy Chiefs, it will be very interesting to see whether both clubs go for or avoid the temptation of Le'Veon Bell, or (in my opinion) invest in defense and their offensive lines while they have the opportunity.

While the last 4 picks' stories remain to be told, I think by any standard, having two All Pros in the first two picks of the draft qualify as crushing it.

That said, I'd contribute their success this year far more to a healthy Luck than anything else.

Indy absolutely crushed their draft.  

I remember how the so-called "experts" thought taking Darius Leonard from my father's Alma Mater (South Carolina State) was a huge reach.     Wonder what they think now that he's a first-team All-Pro.  

Ballard has been a HR for Indy. Wish the Chiefs still had him. Let's remember he was also responsible for the 2017 draft that netted Marlon Mack in the 4th along with a couple defensive starters and some key reserves. Not out of the park good but solid none the less. 

Or you could just say what the Colts did the year Manning got hurt and they got Luck.

Or you could just say what the Colts did the year Manning got hurt and they got Luck.
I would not say that because a distinct difference in that Manning, unlike Robinson and Luck, was not returning to be part of the solution nor did he provide trade value to be part of the solution. The Colts just effectively lost Manning for good, again that's not very like Robinson or Luck at all.

While the last 4 picks' stories remain to be told, I think by any standard, having two All Pros in the first two picks of the draft qualify as crushing it.

That said, I'd contribute their success this year far more to a healthy Luck than anything else.
that's certainly arguable, but they also totally rebuilt the O Line which certainly contributed to him staying healthy.  And as stated at the top, they are really well positioned to build further around Luck.

One of the blessings in disguise from the McDaniel ordeal was landing DC Matt Eberflus.  He had already accepted the job when Josh backed out, and the Colts were wise enough to retain him. 

Watching Quenton Nelson work is amazing. He may be one of the best ever at that position. 

Not only IND crushed the draft, but they did great signing Eric Ebron in FA.  Looked like a change in scenery was all Ebron needed.

Will be very interesting to see if they chase Bell.  Personally I wouldn't do it if I were IND, I would spend it on the OL, the defense, and maybe a WR to complement Hilton.

You don't even need to go that far afield. The Saints were dead in the water with three straight 7-9 seasons coming into the 2017 draft. They absolutely crushed the top of that draft (Lattimore, Kamara, Ramczyk, Williams) and within 18 months they were the NFC's 1-seed. They already had the QB, the HC and enough surrounding talent in place - it just took a couple of big-time difference-makers.

It would not surprise me a bit if the Colts are the AFC's 1-seed this time next year.

On a separate note, this thread got me thinking: if you were the GM of an otherwise perfectly average NFL team and could steal one (non-QB) offensive player from any team and one defensive player from any team and keep them for the rest of their careers, which two guys would you take?

I realize they're both rookies, small sample size yada yada ... but it wouldn't be totally crazy to say Nelson and Leonard, would it?

You don't even need to go that far afield. The Saints were dead in the water with three straight 7-9 seasons coming into the 2017 draft. They absolutely crushed the top of that draft (Lattimore, Kamara, Ramczyk, Williams) and within 18 months they were the NFC's 1-seed. They already had the QB, the HC and enough surrounding talent in place - it just took a couple of big-time difference-makers.

It would not surprise me a bit if the Colts are the AFC's 1-seed this time next year.
The Saints draft has a good shot to go down as one of top 2-3 drafts of all-time, I've seen rankings that say otherwise but to me no one touches the 74 Steelers draft that produced 4 HOF's. Also as you noted with the 7-9 seasons is  a good reminder why sometimes patience really is a virtue when it comes to team building. Yes fellow Steeler fans who want to fire Tomlin, I'm talking to you.

Knowing what I know today if you put a gun to my head and made me predict the AFC #1 seed next year I'd choose the Colts. But again I say with them no need to discuss future yet, in the here and now I love the way they matchup with the Chiefs and they are as hot as any team in the league and as complete and well coached IMO. I actually think right now the Colts are better then the Chiefs, but that home field advantage in KC is a difference maker.

But I still don't apply them as an NFL example to longterm impact of Robinson injury on Spurs. That comp was used as an example of a star player getting injured but returning healthy the following year and due to that one year injury to the star the team sucked and was able to get a superstar or bounty back and make them far better in the future for the one year setback. A perfect Spurs example would have occurred if the Colts had opted to keep Peyton, deal the 1.1, and take that bounty to rebuild around Peyton.

3 picks in the top 50 for 2019 and a probable 4th rd compensatory pick for losing Moncrief.

Last edited by a moderator:
A healthy Luck will take a mediocre team to the playoffs.  Add in some talent and look out.

Some QBs have a high football IQ like Luck..some don`t like Stafford. In terms of talent they are equal but Luck is superior in football IQ.

A healthy Luck will take a mediocre team to the playoffs.  Add in some talent and look out.

Some QBs have a high football IQ like Luck..some don`t like Stafford. In terms of talent they are equal but Luck is superior in football IQ.
I've seen Luck make some bone head throws for INTs, several pick 6s, just as Peyton Manning did.

It's different but there may be no more fitting uniform in sports than the horseshoe on the helmet.

They've had a lot of things work just right and that almost seems lucky. Nelson looks great but the other linemen played way better than they have before. Some of their DBa are good but playing great. Leonard could use some help. The WRs stink outside of TY. They make a play when it counts but are not that good the rest of the game. Luck has been magical with them.

They sorely need this next draft too. They have a ton of free agents that will eat that cap space.

Autry supposedly has a contract issue and I'd love for him to come to TEN.

Ballard did well but that was step one. There are many changes coming. Reich was phenomenal keeping everyone together and getting so many players to improve. 

Luck was Marino like in how he got rid of the ball so fast. One half second and they allow 20 or more additional sacks. 

Many of Mack's best runs were where a guy fell off last second so he took off to the races. I'm not down on him, just that he too must improve and can't bank on bad tackling.

Grant and Pascal drop as many balls as they catch. They'd be benched elsewhere. They're free agents so does the rapport matter? How's Luck feel about them?

I think there's a lot of stitched together parts and the foundation is still coming. I could see them winning a Supe and yet struggling at times next year. 

I think there's a 3 year plan (IIRC) and they're just riding all the great coaching and luck they've had.

They've had a lot of things work just right and that almost seems lucky. Nelson looks great but the other linemen played way better than they have before. Some of their DBa are good but playing great. Leonard could use some help. The WRs stink outside of TY. They make a play when it counts but are not that good the rest of the game. Luck has been magical with them.

They sorely need this next draft too. They have a ton of free agents that will eat that cap space.

Autry supposedly has a contract issue and I'd love for him to come to TEN.

Ballard did well but that was step one. There are many changes coming. Reich was phenomenal keeping everyone together and getting so many players to improve. 

Luck was Marino like in how he got rid of the ball so fast. One half second and they allow 20 or more additional sacks. 

Many of Mack's best runs were where a guy fell off last second so he took off to the races. I'm not down on him, just that he too must improve and can't bank on bad tackling.

Grant and Pascal drop as many balls as they catch. They'd be benched elsewhere. They're free agents so does the rapport matter? How's Luck feel about them?

I think there's a lot of stitched together parts and the foundation is still coming. I could see them winning a Supe and yet struggling at times next year. 

I think there's a 3 year plan (IIRC) and they're just riding all the great coaching and luck they've had.
I felt the OL was going to be a lot better and it has.  They could use some more defensive pieces, but most importantly they need a stud WR opposite TY Hilton.  I expect Ballard to continue to draft well and I hope they use some of that cap space to add some impact players.  Antonio Brown would be a great signing if that's possible, then they could use their picks on defense.  I think their defensive play has dramatically improved, but they could use a few more pieces there.

I felt the OL was going to be a lot better and it has.  They could use some more defensive pieces, but most importantly they need a stud WR opposite TY Hilton.  I expect Ballard to continue to draft well and I hope they use some of that cap space to add some impact players.  Antonio Brown would be a great signing if that's possible, then they could use their picks on defense.  I think their defensive play has dramatically improved, but they could use a few more pieces there.
Yeah, the OL is probably the key to everything.

Moore has been awesome for a few weeks. It's so cool when a player "finds a way" to make a play consistently. I don't know how he is normally. I don't remember him so I assume ordinary, but maybe you've got an up N coming star there.

Is there lockerroom capable of having AB? Enough well-rooted good guys that his antics won't mess them up? Yeah that'd be scary for opponents. 

I was listening to the radio guy call Pascal a rookie. He barely played in Washington and TEN so that's not unreasonable. I think I might change my previous statement, maybe they should keep him. 

Donte Moncrief is a free agent that didn't do well in Jax. He didn't set the world on fire or anything. Would you want him back?  

Yeah, the OL is probably the key to everything.

Moore has been awesome for a few weeks. It's so cool when a player "finds a way" to make a play consistently. I don't know how he is normally. I don't remember him so I assume ordinary, but maybe you've got an up N coming star there.

Is there lockerroom capable of having AB? Enough well-rooted good guys that his antics won't mess them up? Yeah that'd be scary for opponents. 

I was listening to the radio guy call Pascal a rookie. He barely played in Washington and TEN so that's not unreasonable. I think I might change my previous statement, maybe they should keep him. 

Donte Moncrief is a free agent that didn't do well in Jax. He didn't set the world on fire or anything. Would you want him back?  
I can't answer whether AB would be a negative impact on the locker room.  My guess is no he wouldn't.  The Colts have great leadership now with Ballard, Reich, and Luck, so I suspect AB would be OK for the Colts.  As for Moncrief, I wouldn't want him back.  The Colts need a stud opposite Hilton and Moncrief doesn't fit the bill. 

Users who are viewing this thread