What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Coach of the Year (1 Viewer)

Who SHOULD win the 2018 Coach of the Year?

• Bill Belichick- Patriots

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Pete Carrol- Seahawks

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Hue Jackson- Browns/Bengals

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Anthony Lynn- Chargers

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Sean McVay- Rams

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Matt Nagy- Bears

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Bill O'Brien- Texans

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Sean Payton- Saints

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Frank Reich- Colts

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • Andy Reid- Chiefs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Deamon

Footballguy
Who wins it this year?  Who SHOULD win it this year?

EDT:  Remember, voting is already done.  Take nothing from playoffs into consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you kidding?!! Hugh Jackson should have been coach of the year. Who else could have coached the Browns to 1 victory in 2 seasons. He did what no one else could do!!

No so.  Just think that might influence some people's votes is all.  Reich is very deserving, but isn't even top 5 in betting odds to win it.
Well then I’ll probably be wrong on my “will”. It was just my guess based on his results and based on the “story” - but I’m sure the Vegas oddsmakers know what they’re doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, the voting is already done.  So nothing that happened wild card weekend has any influence on it.
Good point. If playoffs were included I'd think Reich would have it. 

Nagy gets my vote for regular season. 

Tough for who will - I put Reid although the more I think about it the less I think it’ll happen. But what he did with a rookie QB is pretty impressive. 

Should - Reich hands down. 

Reich would surprise me. They barely made the playoffs and got off to an awful start. Not saying he isn't a deserving candidate, just that the resume isn't as strong as a couple others. 

I think Anthony Lynn should win it. Chargers have been a top-3 team all year in my opinion, and were unfortunately in the AFC West, otherwise they'd have been the #2 seed. 

I think Matt Nagy will win it, because the Bears have been a cellar dweller for a few years before this year, and going from that to division champion, shocked a lot of people, though it probably shouldn't have.

Tough for who will - I put Reid although the more I think about it the less I think it’ll happen. But what he did with a rookie QB is pretty impressive. 

Should - Reich hands down. 
It's weird people keep calling him a rookie QB.  Not trying to pick your post apart, just have heard sportscasters mis-call him that too.

Often it's a coach outperforming expectations.  Of the above candidates, this is how many wins they got more than their preseason O/U win total.

Chicago 5.5
Indy 3.5
KC 3.5
LAR 3.0
Houston 2.5
LAC 2.5
New Orleans 2.0
Seattle 2.0
New England 0.0

This isn't everything, but it's a big part of it, and Chicago blows every other team away in this.  The fact that Indy won this week and Chicago lost, might sway people in this thread.  Most seem to think Reich should get it.

Obviously homer speak, but Pete Caroll won 10 games with a NEW Off Coord, NEW Def Coord, and NEW OL coach. In all, eight assistants were fired or told to find jobs elsewhere, six new coaches were hired, two others were reassigned within the organization and three new positions were created. Thats a ton of turnover and needing new coaches to assimilate themselves to the program and schemes. 

They also lost a ton of players through either FA or Injury before the season started. And not just fringe players either - big pieces to their Defense. 

Of their 7 losses (counting W/C game) they never lost by more than 8. The teams they lost to - 5 of the 7 losses were to playoff teams. They were 4-5 after 9 games and then won 6 of last 7 to get into the playoffs. They won 10 games with a youthful roster of forgettable players who everyone counted out given the transition the team was in this year. 

Alot of teams came out of nowhere and others exceeded expectations so I doubt he gets much of a look here, but to do what Pete did with such a huge turnover of staff and players was simply amazing! 

Will: Nagy

Should: Reich

Nagy just fits the profile of the type of coach who wins the award. First-year guy who takes the team from terrible to relevance. Yes, that applies to Reich, too, but he's been way more under the radar (which would explain why he's so far down on the prediction markets).

Still, what he's accomplished is pretty amazing. He got a late start on the job, inherited the assistants McDaniels had already hired, had a lineup that didn't look very talented, and a QB who was a huge question mark. Even if you want to say it wasn't "coaching" that returned Luck to his old form, Reich sure as hell deserves credit for being the first coach of Luck's career to figure out how to protect him. Also, you know how Larry David doing "Curb Your Enthusiasm" earned him lots of retroactive credit for what he did on "Seinfeld"? That's kind of what happened with Reich and Philly. Last year Pederson was a genius, but this year, all his mojo seems to have gone to Indy with Reich. And, of course, he finished the season on a 9-1 run.

It's weird people keep calling him a rookie QB.  Not trying to pick your post apart, just have heard sportscasters mis-call him that too.
First year playing the majority of the season is closer to rookie designation than the year drafted imo. Now if a guy is a backup for 4 years then starts his 5th year, prob won’t refer to him as rookie hah

Are you kidding?!! Hugh Jackson should have been coach of the year. Who else could have coached the Browns to 1 victory in 2 seasons. He did what no one else could do!!
This and there really isn't any other answer. Not sure what you noobs are thinking.

Frank Reich is the only choice imo
Based solely on regular season?  

They were both expected to win 6.5 games, but Nagy took his team to 12 wins and a division title and 3rd seed.  Reich to 10 wins and a 6th seed.

Finally a single Texans fan spoke up and gave Bill a vote!
Without O'Brien they would have been 13-3. They benefited tremendously from playing a lot of rookie QB's/Blake Bortles/Cody Kessler/Nathan Peterman/Brock Osweiler/Blaine Gabbert/Colt McCoy and playing coaches who made questionable decisions which cost them games (Reich/Garrett/Joseph)

They were both expected to win 6.5 games, but Nagy took his team to 12 wins and a division title and 3rd seed.  Reich to 10 wins and a 6th seed.
I think because Chicago already had an established defense and added Mack, Indy's season is just as impressive as Chicago's despite not quite as good a record. I think either coach is equally deserving.

I'm basing it on Indy's second half of the season where theyve been arguably the best team in the league.....who saw it comin?  And I take away a slight amount of praise for Nagy based on Mack coming to town and making his job a bit easier.....just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread