What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Mike Pence Thread (1 Viewer)

I guess I think Pence will probably be VP nominee buuuutt... it’s just so quintessentially Trump to treat him so shattily by keeping him unannounced.

If he picks a new VP, I doubt he'll pick anyone who publicly criticized him in 2016. Because those clips would end up getting played on a loop.

Everyone seems to think if Pence is out as VP that he’s going to pick a strategic choice like Nikki Haley to help bring back suburban moms or someone to draw in the independents. When has he done anything like that recently? Whenever he’s given a chance, he chooses the option that pleases his base. I think we might be more likely to see a Jim Jeffries, Mark Meadows, Matt Gaetz type of VP this time around. Someone who has been blindly loyal and his base would love.

Pence: Trump is ‘wrong’ to say election could be overturned

Former Vice President Mike Pence on Friday directly rebutted Donald Trump’s false claims that Pence somehow could have overturned the results of the 2020 election, saying that the former president was simply “wrong.”

In a speech to the conservative Federalist Society in Florida, Pence addressed Trump’s intensifying efforts this week to advance the false narrative that he could have done something to prevent Joe Biden from taking office.

“President Trump is wrong,” Pence said. “I had no right to overturn the election.”

While Pence in the past has defended his actions on Jan. 6 and said that he and Trump will likely never see “eye to eye” on what happened that day, the remarks Friday marked his most forceful rebuttal of Trump to date. And they come as Pence has been laying the groundwork for a potential run for president in 2024, which could put him in direct competition with his former boss, who has also been teasing a comeback run.

In a statement Tuesday, Trump said the committee investigating the deadly Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol should instead probe “why Mike Pence did not send back the votes for recertification or approval.” And on Sunday, he blasted Pence, falsely declaring that “he could have overturned the Election!”

Vice presidents play only a ceremonial role in the the counting of Electoral College votes, and any attempt to interfere in the count would have represented a profound break from precedent and democratic norms.

Pence, in his remarks Friday, described Jan. 6, 2021, as “a dark day in the history of the United States Capitol.”

Pence was inside the building, presiding over the joint session of Congress to certify the presidential election, when a mob of Trump’s supporters violently smashed inside, assaulting police officers and hunting down lawmakers. Pence, who had released a statement earlier that day to make clear he had no authority to overturn the will of the voters, was rushed to safety as some rioters chanted “Hang Mike Pence!”

Pence framed his actions that day as in line with his duty as a constitutional conservative.

“The American people must know that we will always keep our oath to the Constitution, even when it would be politically expedient to do otherwise,” he told the group Friday. He noted that, under Article II Section One of the Constitution, “elections are conducted at the state level, not by Congress” and that “the only role of Congress with respect to the Electoral College is to open and count votes submitted and certified by the states. No more, no less.”

“Frankly there is no idea more un-American than the notion that any one person could choose the American president,” he added. “Under the Constitution, I had no right to change the outcome of our election. And Kamala Harris will have no right to overturn the election when we beat them in 2024.”

Pence also acknowledged the lingering anger among many in Trump’s base. But, he said: “The truth is, there’s more at stake than our party or political fortunes. Men and women, if we lose faith in the Constitution, we won’t just lose elections — we’ll lose our country.”

Wouldn’t that be the date when he didn’t try to overturn the results?
I see your point but I don't think simply acting in a sane rational manner should count for a guy growing a pair but so it goes. 

Given the irrational and blatantly unAmerican behavior occuring on 1/6 by his boss and an alarmingly large number of lawmakers, it does set Pence apart for sure. I'm proud that he stayed true to our Nation at a critical time of need and I normally don't align with the guy on most topics. Good job that day and good job taking a more direct approach with his recent comments. 

kwille said:
I see your point but I don't think simply acting in a sane rational manner should count for a guy growing a pair but so it goes. 

Given the irrational and blatantly unAmerican behavior occuring on 1/6 by his boss and an alarmingly large number of lawmakers, it does set Pence apart for sure. I'm proud that he stayed true to our Nation at a critical time of need and I normally don't align with the guy on most topics. Good job that day and good job taking a more direct approach with his recent comments. 
Ok so he shouldn’t be nominated for a pair today either then.  I’m just saying if you though today was good…how can the act not be better?

I think it did take a pair, sometimes doing the right thing is not easy.  We see people fail every damn day at that.

massraider said:
Who had this date in the "when will Mike Pence grow a pair" pool?
I'd say he grew a pair on the days leading up to and including J6. Today he just formally and forcefully removed himself from consideration as a DJT VP candidate (should DJT ever get the chance again........which he shouldn't.)

I'd say he grew a pair on the days leading up to and including J6. Today he just formally and forcefully removed himself from consideration as a DJT VP candidate (should DJT ever get the chance again........which he shouldn't.)
He did this on 1/6

He did this on 1/6
Fair enough. I'm happy to see him actually come out and speak more forcefully in no uncertain terms about DJT's actions. It's almost an admission that DJT did attempt all this crap we're hearing about in more detail as things move forward with the J6 Committee. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair enough. I'm happy to see him actually come out and speak more forcefully in no uncertain terms about DJT's actions. It's almost an admission that DJT did attempt all this crap were hearing about in more detail as things move forward with the J6 Committee. 
Might very well be another signal that the wind isn't blowing Trump's way as strong as it used to. 

Might very well be another signal that the wind isn't blowing Trump's way as strong as it used to. 
The former Chairman of the RNC is on Twitter nearly every day blasting the current anti-American actions of his party. He joins the ever growing number of conservatives who cannot rationalize what they're seeing from the party on a regular basis. It's not disarray yet but it's shakier than it was. It's always a mistake to go in with Trump.

Also want to note that Pence did a lot of asking around about the legality of what Trump was asking him to do, including seeking the advice of noted constitutional scholar Dan Quayle. If anyone had advised him otherwise, could we really have counted on Mike to do the right thing for the country?

Sinn Fein said:
 And Kamala Harris will have no right to overturn the election when we beat them in 2024.”
At least Pence seems to have spent a few minutes thinking about the long term effect of the VP can decide presidential elections.

"As Constitutional conservatives, the American people must know that we will always keep our oath to the Constitution, even when it would be politically expedient to do otherwise; they must know, as the Bible says, that we will 'keep our oath even when it hurts." - Mike Pence

Pence is a Republican I could never vote for based on his political views. He also injects too much religion into his politics for my taste. But I can dislike him for purely political reasons; because I disagree with him on policy. Something that's becoming increasingly rare in politics these days.

"As Constitutional conservatives, the American people must know that we will always keep our oath to the Constitution, even when it would be politically expedient to do otherwise; they must know, as the Bible says, that we will 'keep our oath even when it hurts." - Mike Pence

Pence is a Republican I could never vote for based on his political views. He also injects too much religion into his politics for my taste. But I can dislike him for purely political reasons; because I disagree with him on policy. Something that's becoming increasingly rare in politics these days.
If he actually governed like a conservative and not a lunatic then I would support that no matter my disagreements. Cause we need a functioning conservative party. As is, we don't.

Wapo:

But some of the former president’s advisers fear he is losing steam politically as he continues to talk about the election, multiple federal and state investigations circle him and polls show his support among Republicans has lagged some in recent months. Trump’s spokesman did not respond to a request for comment on the day’s affairs. The former president’s only public statement Friday denounced the House committee established to investigate the Jan. 6 attack and called for it to be shut down.

He got some love from the federalist society today.  

For the good of the party, they need Mitch to call out Trump with whatever coalition he can form.  And start appearing on Fox and slowly tearing Trump down.

I honestly think Mike might go down as one of the worst VPs. I also have a feeling that Trump himself has nothing but contempt for him. 
Your feelings always drive you Tim.   It's not logic.    I'm sure pence feels better thanks to kamala.   And kamala feels bad because she is a poor politician.

Wapo:

But some of the former president’s advisers fear he is losing steam politically as he continues to talk about the election, multiple federal and state investigations circle him and polls show his support among Republicans has lagged some in recent months. Trump’s spokesman did not respond to a request for comment on the day’s affairs. The former president’s only public statement Friday denounced the House committee established to investigate the Jan. 6 attack and called for it to be shut down.

The kind of people who are likely nurture a sense of grievance (about whatever) will stick with Trump.  He speaks to that mentality.  They will always love him and will never tire of his moaning.  And there are a LOT of people like this, so his floor is quite high.  He wins the primary as a result, unless he for some reason between now and there were to look weak.  Then he is toast.

For everyone else, Trump and his mob is just tedious at this point (and yes still scary).  As long as the economy isn't crap in 2024 Trump will struggle to win, where another R could definitely do it.  R's got a Trump Problem, no doubt.

Your feelings always drive you Tim.   It's not logic.    I'm sure pence feels better thanks to kamala.   And kamala feels bad because she is a poor politician.
My comment, in January of 2019, was made two years into the Trump presidency. I believed it was at the time long enough to make a judgment about it. I’ll stick with that judgment. 
Kamala Harris has only served a year so it may be too early to judge, but as VPs go she strikes me as pretty average. 

My comment, in January of 2019, was made two years into the Trump presidency. I believed it was at the time long enough to make a judgment about it. I’ll stick with that judgment. 
Kamala Harris has only served a year so it may be too early to judge, but as VPs go she strikes me as pretty average. 
Average, seriously ?? The only thing I’ll give her over Pence is she’s not a fan of conversion therapy. Average :lol:

Many are asking whether Pence after his remarks yesterday would possibly testify before the committee. Smerconish asked that question today with the results around 57% that he would not. I agree with the majority. In a few weeks we can all forget about his new found courage. You can see the poll results here

https://www.smerconish.com/

Many are asking whether Pence after his remarks yesterday would possibly testify before the committee. Smerconish asked that question today with the results around 57% that he would not. I agree with the majority. In a few weeks we can all forget about his new found courage. You can see the poll results here

I saw a comment elsewhere that Pence was surrounded by conspiracy and people divising plans to overturn the election and remained silent. He didn't go public or notify authorities. He waited until he was on the winning side of the issue to make any strong statements condemning Trump.

It certainly feels like something is happening behind the scenes. Pence either is giving up his political future, thinks Trump is losing control of the GOP or he thinks Trump is going down and he’s getting a head start on jumping ship. With Pence’s staff testifying, they may have a good idea how much evidence they have tying Trump to everything that happened. I don’t think Pence willing participates but will let his staffers provide everything they need.

Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said on Monday that she thinks former Vice President Mike Pence "did what he thought was right" on Jan. 6 when he certified the results of the 2020 election. 

"Mike Pence is a good man. He's an honest man. I think he did what he thought was right on that day," Haley told Fox News's Bret Baier on Monday.

"I will always say I'm not a fan of Republicans going after Republicans because the only ones that win when that happens are the Democrats and the media, and we have to keep our eyes on 2022," she added.

Lest we not forget...

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/538573-haley-breaks-with-trump-we-shouldnt-have-followed-him

Is there something in the water in SC that makes politicians hypocritical flip floppers? Anyway Haley is dead in the water for me in 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread