What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trump resigns - what happens next? (1 Viewer)

adonis

Footballguy
Every single bit of news coming out of this Russia investigation is worse than the last.  Trump has opposition in the House that will, for the first time, hold him accountable and perform a check on his powers and properly investigate wrongdoing.

This is not what Trump signed up for.  He's not getting his border wall.  He is being investigated on all fronts.  His close associates are going to jail and/or pleading guilty.  Opposition to Trump is leading to massive turnout for the opposition party.

At some point, his political position will become untenable, and he'll either choose to resign or be forced out, perhaps even before the Mueller report is delivered.

What happens next? 

Every single bit of news coming out of this Russia investigation is worse than the last.  Trump has opposition in the House that will, for the first time, hold him accountable and perform a check on his powers and properly investigate wrongdoing.

This is not what Trump signed up for.  He's not getting his border wall.  He is being investigated on all fronts.  His close associates are going to jail and/or pleading guilty.  Opposition to Trump is leading to massive turnout for the opposition party.

At some point, his political position will become untenable, and he'll either choose to resign or be forced out, perhaps even before the Mueller report is delivered.

What happens next? 
He won't resign, he won't be impeached.

Eventually he will either sign a face-saving deal or he'll let the Senate approve a continuing resolution. 

That said.....if I were to play your hypothetical game.......if Trump resigns, then Pence steps right up and every Republican instantly acts like Pence was their guy all along. And we spend the next 2 years basically enjoying gridlock, but on a much quieter and smaller scale.

Then in 2020 Pence decides not to run and Kasich or Cruz or Rubio steps in and makes a legit run at the Presidency.

What happens next? 
Nothing

Trump is entering hell.

He had 2 years of the GOP running interference on all sorts of investigations, getting his back whenever he needed it, and he was in full control.  

Now, with many associates indicted, pleading guilty, or under a cloud of suspicion, he's in real trouble.  The house has gone to the Democrats, he can't get key/core issues like the border wall passed, he's being investigated on multiple fronts...what does he have to gain by sticking around?

The Mueller report is going to be devastating for him and his circle of folks.  Every...single...additional...piece...of...information about his campaigns ties to Russia are damaging.  This is just what's leaking publicly.

I can't see him lasting long in the face of such overwhelming opposition.  Soon, the GOP establishment, with Fox News, will cut bait, and he'll have nothing left but to resign and hope he can live out his remaining years as a wealthy has-been.  That is his absolute best case scenario here.  Worst case is he dies in prison.  

He hates this....and if he hates it now, after 2 years of presidential power in an ideal situation, how much more will the next 2 years be insufferable for him?  He resigns.  The only question is how, and who he blames for pushing him out.

It finally proves this.....

“There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.”  -Rod Sterling 

..... because that’s the only way he resigns 

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s not resigning.  I definitely think he does not go for a second term.  I think getting the wall also makes it easier to bail on 2020.  

If he does resign, then Pence will fill play out the string and not accomplish much.  I doubt Pence even pushes his social agenda. 

Dems immediately begin impeachment hearings on Mike Pence. 
I assume when the OP said Trump, they were talking about his entire corrupt cabinet and the VP too.  

Trump is entering hell.

He had 2 years of the GOP running interference on all sorts of investigations, getting his back whenever he needed it, and he was in full control.  

Now, with many associates indicted, pleading guilty, or under a cloud of suspicion, he's in real trouble.  The house has gone to the Democrats, he can't get key/core issues like the border wall passed, he's being investigated on multiple fronts...what does he have to gain by sticking around?

The Mueller report is going to be devastating for him and his circle of folks.  Every...single...additional...piece...of...information about his campaigns ties to Russia are damaging.  This is just what's leaking publicly.

I can't see him lasting long in the face of such overwhelming opposition.  Soon, the GOP establishment, with Fox News, will cut bait, and he'll have nothing left but to resign and hope he can live out his remaining years as a wealthy has-been.  That is his absolute best case scenario here.  Worst case is he dies in prison.  

He hates this....and if he hates it now, after 2 years of presidential power in an ideal situation, how much more will the next 2 years be insufferable for him?  He resigns.  The only question is how, and who he blames for pushing him out.
This is my thought too.  But the truth is, I'm betting some Democrats pull some very unAmerican stuff in the next two years as well.  Nancy is already trying to water down the Green stuff.  Because why I wonder? 

Fox is showing signs of checking the water now too before jumping ship.  That's the biggest one.  Once the economy craters he will have real problems.  

He’s not resigning.  I definitely think he does not go for a second term.  I think getting the wall also makes it easier to bail on 2020.  

If he does resign, then Pence will fill play out the string and not accomplish much.  I doubt Pence even pushes his social agenda. 
He's running in 2020 because reelection is the only possible way for him to avoid prison. Once he's a private citizen, he's right there with Manafort. 

Eventually he will either sign a face-saving deal or he'll let the Senate approve a continuing resolution. 

That said.....if I were to play your hypothetical game.......if Trump resigns, then Pence steps right up and every Republican instantly acts like Pence was their guy all along. And we spend the next 2 years basically enjoying gridlock, but on a much quieter and smaller scale.

Then in 2020 Pence decides not to run and Kasich or Cruz or Rubio steps in and makes a legit run at the Presidency.
None of us can say with certainty.

My prediction, based on history & the will of this Senate, is the House will impeach but the Senate trial will not result in removal. 

He’s mercurial & impetuous, so If he resigns before his term is up, I won’t be surprised. He is not a stable person.

He's running in 2020 because reelection is the only possible way for him to avoid prison. Once he's a private citizen, he's right there with Manafort. 
I know this will be an unpopular position, but if I was the Democratic President who defeated Trump in 2020, I would immediately pardon him. Otherwise the nation will be consumed, possibly for years, with the trials of a former President, and it will bring mostly anger and resentment. I am repeating Gerald Ford’s reasoning; it remains valid IMO. 

I know this will be an unpopular position, but if I was the Democratic President who defeated Trump in 2020, I would immediately pardon him. Otherwise the nation will be consumed, possibly for years, with the trials of a former President, and it will bring mostly anger and resentment. I am repeating Gerald Ford’s reasoning; it remains valid IMO. 
I wouldn't. He teamed up with our enemy to rig an election and force himself into the presidency. Fro that un-earned position, he was able to appoint two Supreme Court judges, who will determine laws for the next 25 or so years.  He may also be appointing a third. His criminal activity swayed the next quarter century of our nation, plus he made racism acceptable again, turning back the calendar 50 years from a social aspect. I want him to die in prison.  And I don't care that it angers the people who were fine with his criminal activity.

Nancy Pelosi is too smart for this. She won’t allow an impeachment unless she believes that removal is a lock. 
You may be correct. I agree she’s playing it the right way, publicly saying they have no interest in impeachment (after Trump brought it up privately last week.) She knows her history; they have to build strong public support first.

I wouldn't. He teamed up with our enemy to rig an election and force himself into the presidency. Fro that un-earned position, he was able to appoint two Supreme Court judges, who will determine laws for the next 25 or so years.  He may also be appointing a third. His criminal activity swayed the next quarter century of our nation, plus he made racism acceptable again, turning back the calendar 50 years from a social aspect. I want him to die in prison.  And I don't care that it angers the people who were fine with his criminal activity.
I agree with @timschochet

At that point the most important thing will be moving forward

There’s nothing you can do about the makeup of SCotUS, you cannot undo that

The dog whistle stuff is a societal issue and unrelated to prosecutorial offenses

I agree with @timschochet

At that point the most important thing will be moving forward

There’s nothing you can do about the makeup of SCotUS, you cannot undo that

The dog whistle stuff is a societal issue and unrelated to prosecutorial offenses
That seems a bit dismissive regarding the SCOTUS. 2 or 3 judges-for-life appointed during one illegitimate presidency has a long-lasting effect on our country. And also restructured the tax system to benefit himself.  One thing is certain. As a country, we have to guarantee that this can never happen again. A lifetime conman was able to make a deal with one of the most evil men on the planet to gain the presidency of our country.  Giving him a mulligan and allowing him to enjoy his billions once his sham is over is no deterrent for future shysters.   The image of him being taken away in a jumpsuit that matches his skin tone is what the people of this country need to see.

Oh hell no. You don't make it some center point of your presidency or anything but everything he and his crew did gets checked out. 

That seems a bit dismissive regarding the SCOTUS. 2 or 3 judges-for-life appointed during one illegitimate presidency has a long-lasting effect on our country. And also restructured the tax system to benefit himself.  One thing is certain. As a country, we have to guarantee that this can never happen again. A lifetime conman was able to make a deal with one of the most evil men on the planet to gain the presidency of our country.  Giving him a mulligan and allowing him to enjoy his billions once his sham is over is no deterrent for future shysters.   The image of him being taken away in a jumpsuit that matches his skin tone is what the people of this country need to see.
It's not that I am being dismissive, but I just don't see how it's at all on point. It's seeking punishment as retribution for actions B & C (emoluments, treasonous collusion with a foreign adversary) because of the harm caused by action A (appointing justices.) That's not how things are done in a society ruled by law.

We simply do not have any recourse for the SC appointments. Accept and move on.

It's not that I am being dismissive, but I just don't see how it's at all on point. It's seeking punishment as retribution for actions B & C (emoluments, treasonous collusion with a foreign adversary) because of the harm caused by action A (appointing justices.) That's not how things are done in a society ruled by law.

We simply do not have any recourse for the SC appointments. Accept and move on.
What about obstruction of justice?  Are other Americans allowed to get away with that?  Money laundering? Tax evasion?  You or I would be in deep water if we cheated the government out of $1000 on our taxes.  This criminal activity extends into foreign banks. We are talking millions of dollars in 'hidden' transactions.  If I have to be held accountable for my financial discretions, I would sure as hell hope a lifetime conman billionaire has to be held accountable for his.   But I agree with you about how things in a society with laws.  I'm just not for pardoning one of the biggest criminals in our country.  

What about obstruction of justice?  Are other Americans allowed to get away with that?  Money laundering? Tax evasion?  You or I would be in deep water if we cheated the government out of $1000 on our taxes.  This criminal activity extends into foreign banks. We are talking millions of dollars in 'hidden' transactions.  If I have to be held accountable for my financial discretions, I would sure as hell hope a lifetime conman billionaire has to be held accountable for his.   But I agree with you about how things in a society with laws.  I'm just not for pardoning one of the biggest criminals in our country.  
I believe @timschochet was advocating for pardoning Trump; that's what I am advocating, to follow the example of President Ford.

Erik Prince, Wilbur Ross, Roger Stone, et al....it's a target rich environment. Take them all down.

:lol:

Where there any votes that were changed at all after the votes were placed?  Nope?  Then there was no rigging.

That thread title made me think for a second that it really happened.
Fully expect I'll see it hear before I hear it anywhere else  :lmao:

There's no evidence (or been any suggestion to my knowledge) the election was "rigged" in terms of voting machine tampering

Some fringe folks who have speculated but nothing credible

In cahoots with a foreign adversary seems highly probable but it will all come out soon enough, one way or another

They aren't telling us because there isn't a smoking gun showing that the numbers were changed.  Plus aren't voting machines NOT on the internet?
They aren't telling us because there would be a real national crisis if they did.  Do you honestly think the CIA and DOJ are 100% transparent?  

Fully expect I'll see it hear before I hear it anywhere else  :lmao:

There's no evidence (or been any suggestion to my knowledge) the election was "rigged" in terms of voting machine tampering

Some fringe folks who have speculated but nothing credible

In cahoots with a foreign adversary seems highly probable but it will all come out soon enough, one way or another
I don't know that it will all come out.  

I don't know that it will all come out.  
I feel like Mueller is a meticulous & thorough plodder. If there's any there there, we'll know.

Though I guess there's a non-zero chance the congressional report doesn't get released/published....but hard to believe that will happen.

I really feel like this depends on the results of the numerous investigations taking place.  If the investigations wind up showing that he has directly committed serious crimes (money laundering, conspiring against the United States, steering US policy based on personal financial enrichment, etc) then I think it hurts us more to let him walk.  Are we going to just make it an accepted norm that if a criminal can achieve the presidency before being convicted of crimes, he is absolved of those crimes?  That would seem to fly in the face of the idea that no person is above the law in this country.  It's all rumor and speculation right now, but if Trump has truly been involved in some of the crimes that are speculated to have taken place, he will far exceed what Nixon did.

I get why you feel this way, and depending on what the results of the investigations are, I might be there as well.  I cannot say this definitively though until we know what exactly he was aware of and involved in.

As far as anger and resentment, I don't think that is going anywhere, regardless.  As has been said many times, Trump is a symptom, not the illness.  The Trump base, the ones who will stick with him no matter what, aren't necessarily loyal to Trump the man.  It's the idea's he espouses, and when the next carnival barker steps up saying the same things, they will latch on to him.  The anger and resentment is baked into that segment of society at this point, and the idea that we should tread lightly to avoid upsetting them seems counterproductive.

What will happen next: Pigs will fly. Because it ain't happening. 

Given the hypothetical, why pardon him? I doubt the nation will be "embroiled" by whatever happens. The guy is always in court in some way anyhow, he's used to it.

The law applies to everyone but the rich again :)

If he broke the law, you enforce it.  You don't run a democracy by bending the rules because of the discomfort it will cause

Users who are viewing this thread