What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Congressman Steve King is a White Nationalist - UPDATE Good News for America - Steve King Loses (1 Viewer)

Steve King said the quiet part out loud, but this is the GOP and their platform these days.
Steve King is an idiot, obviously.  The second part of your statement is asinine.

Merits? Yes the Renaissance and Enlightenment was pretty great but most of the rest involves wars, famine, plagues, pillaging, mass murder and slave trade. 
Let's not pretend that "wars, famine, plagues, pillaging, mass murder and slave trade" were a province of western civilization only.  Or that anyone had any control over famines (usually drought caused) and plagues in those days.

Steve King is an idiot, obviously.  The second part of your statement is asinine.

Let's not pretend that "wars, famine, plagues, pillaging, mass murder and slave trade" were a province of western civilization only.  Or that anyone had any control over famines (usually drought caused) and plagues in those days.
Best thing about western civilization was that first Decline movie with all the great punk bands. 

Do you believe Trump has and/or is encouraging white supremacists?

Do you believe Trump has and/or is encouraging white supremacists?
I believe DJT is an idiot and has no idea what he's encouraging.  Also, just as a point, the GOP platform and the diarrhea that comes from DJT are most often wholly separate entities.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't matter if he is dead.  General Lee is dead and so is JEB Stewart and they are having statues removed and school names stripped because of the way they lived (which was the norm then).  If it doesn't matter if they are dead, then they shouldn't be torn down.

Either way, dead or alive, Robert Byrd was an ###.
Is anyone advocating for a statue of Byrd?  Why bring up statues if not to troll now guy?

Nobody is defending Byrd wasn't an ### in his lifetime...none of that has a damn thing to do with King.

Do you support what King is saying?  Its a simple yes or no question.  And the only relevant thing right now.

I never pretended either of those things were true. Though some famines were preventable. 

I believe DJT is an idiot and has no idea what he's encouraging.  Also, just as a point, the GOP platform and the diarrhea that comes from DJT are most often wholly separate entities.
Seems like you would then agree he is unfit for office and needs to be removed via the 25th amendment.

Is anyone advocating for a statue of Byrd?  Why bring up statues if not to troll now guy?

Nobody is defending Byrd wasn't an ### in his lifetime...none of that has a damn thing to do with King.

Do you support what King is saying?  Its a simple yes or no question.  And the only relevant thing right now.
I really don't care what King is saying.  It doesn't affect me either way.

Yet...you chimed into a thread and brought up Robert Byrd...as if that affects you or anyone at this point?

So...basically, you admit here you brought up Byrd simply to get a reaction from other posters on a message board?

Thats pretty odd behavior...and telling that you can't even comment about King's words and actions.

Yet...you chimed into a thread and brought up Robert Byrd...as if that affects you or anyone at this point?

So...basically, you admit here you brought up Byrd simply to get a reaction from other posters on a message board?

Thats pretty odd behavior...and telling that you can't even comment about King's words and actions.
No.  I am saying that his isn't news now because Byrd was the same way and it wasn't news then.

But you care about things that don't affect you, right?  Your comment seems odd.  I don't really understand it.

No.  I am saying that his isn't news now because Byrd was the same way and it wasn't news then.
A.  It is news now because King is currently in Congress.

B.  Byrd was the same way in the 60s and 70s before changing...which makes the comparison irrelevant to today.

C.  That you can't even comment on something as inherently racist as what King is saying is pretty odd....as is commenting on the thread at all if you don't really care...which again leads me to believe your motives in this thread (as in others) is not about actual discussion but derailing actual discussion.

Yeah, it was. Thus, the apology and the change in his position. If Steve King wants to disavow his white nationalist position now and spend the next 30 years or so working to fight racism, maybe in 2050 or so he'll be in the same position as Byrd.
/end of discussion

A.  It is news now because King is currently in Congress.

B.  Byrd was the same way in the 60s and 70s before changing...which makes the comparison irrelevant to today.

C.  That you can't even comment on something as inherently racist as what King is saying is pretty odd....as is commenting on the thread at all if you don't really care...which again leads me to believe your motives in this thread (as in others) is not about actual discussion but derailing actual discussion.
Funny.  You've responded to him 4 times in this thread already so hard to say he's derailing anything

Yeah, it was. Thus, the apology and the change in his position. If Steve King wants to disavow his white nationalist position now and spend the next 30 years or so working to fight racism, maybe in 2050 or so he'll be in the same position as Byrd.
It is a rare thing for grown men, especially as they get older, to evolve. Senator Byrd ought to be celebrated as someone who developed uncommon empathy and grace in his mid-60s. That is rare and commendable.

why I changed my mind on Civil Rights - why I would vote differently on the CRA of 1964 if I could vote again (2005)

He spent the last three decades of his life trying to make amends for his former actions and thinking.

from Wiki:

For the 2003–2004 session, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)[70] rated Byrd's voting record as being 100% in line with the NAACP's position on the thirty-three Senate bills they evaluated. Sixteen other senators received that rating. In June 2005, Byrd proposed an additional $10,000,000 in federal funding for the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial in Washington, D.C., remarking that, "With the passage of time, we have come to learn that his Dream was the American Dream, and few ever expressed it more eloquently."[71] Upon news of his death, the NAACP released a statement praising Byrd, saying that he "became a champion for civil rights and liberties" and "came to consistently support the NAACP civil rights agenda".[72]

That was an enlightening read, thanks. I wish there was more discussion about the immigration dilemma portrayed in that article and other attendant immigration issues rather than this stupid farcical wall crisis. It's preventing any real discussion about the genuine problems we face. 

And Steve King and Devin Nunes are reprehensible human beings that any decent person would be ashamed to be associated with. That's why Trump loves them. 
That really was a good read. I can’t find it in myself to feel any sympathy for the people who populate those communities though. It’s a dilemma sure, but have some integrity then and take a stand, not hide in the shadows with your big dirty secret. I’m sorry, but they are complicit in where we are now. What is the real difference between welfare cheats (almost always characterized as minorities) and these farms reliant on undocumented labor? I guess it’s because they’re white and “honest hard working people” (which implies that those the right demonizes are the opposite).

If anything that article made me dislike those “salt of the earth” midwesteners. You don’t agree with Trump et al immigration stance? Then don’t vote in politicians who militantly support it. Apparently it’s not all that important to them after all...or at least not as important as whatever conservative values they think their votes are advocating for. I wonder what those might be.

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King asked in an interview with The New York Times published on Thursday. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”
That’s the classic gateway to white nationalism and white supremacism. Agreed, he’s one all right.

Sand said:

Absolutely. Sorry, maybe it's just me, but being in the KKK should be a disqualifying event for public office.

I was talking about your comparison to Franken, who was accused of committing sex crimes while in office. It just seemed like a weird comparison to make, almost like you were lamenting the fact that the current Democratic party shows no tolerance for those accused of committing sex crimes while in office.

Absolutely.  Sorry, maybe it's just me, but being in the KKK should be a disqualifying event for public office.
I don't agree. You do know Werner Von Braun was a Nazi, right? But he realized his error, and came to work for us and developed the rockets that allowed us to send a man to the moon.

If people are willing to change their minds, they should always be forgiven for previous beliefs. Not actions- if you did something seriously wrong in your past, that's different. But beliefs should be forgiven.

Can you help me understand why the GOP is refusing to allow a vote to end the government shutdown? It seems Trump wants the shutdown. Why is the GOP falling in line if they're theoretically wholly separate entities?

Users who are viewing this thread