What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Congressman Steve King is a White Nationalist - UPDATE Good News for America - Steve King Loses (1 Viewer)

whoknew

Footballguy
Steve King is a white nationalist. A racist. And he's a GOP member of Congress. And the GOP doesn't seem to care.

It seems like this is a really big deal. How is he still getting elected? Does the GOP care? Are they happy he represents them?

The latest from Mr. King

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) is questioning how terms such as "white nationalist" and "white supremacist" became offensive in the U.S.

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King asked in an interview with The New York Times published on Thursday. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”

Last edited by a moderator:
I was searching for an appropriate thread to put this exact article in while you were posting.  Unbelievable.

Merits? Yes the Renaissance and Enlightenment was pretty great but most of the rest involves wars, famine, plagues, pillaging, mass murder and slave trade. World History is less a tribute and more of a gigantic warning. 

I know there's a lot for the media to do in the age of Trump, but every Republican in congress should be asked for their thoughts on caucusing with an open white supremacist and badgered until they give a good answer.  The media has held Democrats more accountable for the utterances of two first-term members of their caucus who have been in congress for a week than they have with the GOP and its eight term member.

Yea I thought about where it should go. But I think he kind of deserves his own thread.

THERE'S A WHITE NATIONALIST REPRESENTING IOWA IN CONGRESS. 
I was about to start a thread, but it would have been titled "Congressman Steve King asks when did "white nationalist" and "white supremacist" become offensive? (rather than label him one).

The good news is that this comes up in an article where a Republican state senator is planning on running against King next year. So, he's getting primaried but we're stuck with him for a while yet. 

I was about to start a thread, but it would have been titled "Congressman Steve King asks when did "white nationalist" and "white supremacist" become offensive? (rather than label him one).
🤷‍♂️

Its not like this is his first dalliance into white nationalism.

I know there's a lot for the media to do in the age of Trump, but every Republican in congress should be asked for their thoughts on caucusing with an open white supremacist and badgered until they give a good answer.  The media has held Democrats more accountable for the utterances of two first-term members of their caucus who have been in congress for a week than they have with the GOP and its eight term member.
One down, 197 to go.  Good for Justin Amash:

Justin Amash‏ @justinamash

This is an embrace of racism, and it has no place in Congress or anywhere.

What the heck? 

How is this not even on CNN politics page? How did it get buried in like paragraph 9 of that NYT article? What am I missing here? How do you openly question how the term white supremacist became an offensive term and say that our country was built on white values from europe and not instantly become front page news everywhere??? 

The latest from Mr. King

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) is questioning how terms such as "white nationalist" and "white supremacist" became offensive in the U.S.

“White nationalist, white supremacist, Western civilization — how did that language become offensive?” King asked in an interview with The New York Times published on Thursday. “Why did I sit in classes teaching me about the merits of our history and our civilization?”
Ted Lieu‏ @tedlieu 1h1 hour ago

Dear Steve King (@SteveKingIA):

FYI this is one reason you get bad search results when people type your name in Google.

I don't understand all the ruckus...since when is being a member of the KKK an issue?  

Trip Gabriel‏ @tripgabriel

‘You could look over there and think the Democratic Party is no country for white men,’ King said of House swearing-in day last week.

#MAWA

I don't understand all the ruckus...since when is being a member of the KKK an issue?  

Trip Gabriel‏ @tripgabriel

‘You could look over there and think the Democratic Party is no country for white men,’ King said of House swearing-in day last week.
JFC

What the heck? 

How is this not even on CNN politics page? How did it get buried in like paragraph 9 of that NYT article? What am I missing here? How do you openly question how the term white supremacist became an offensive term and say that our country was built on white values from europe and not instantly become front page news everywhere??? 
The comments have made "Steve King" a top trending hashtag on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/search?q="Steve King"&src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A1083399122768535553

I doubt this is his first time making this kind of statement.

Oh he has a long history of making similar statements.

🤷‍♂️

Its not like this is his first dalliance into white nationalism.

Pretty much. He's been a white nationalist representing Iowa in Congress since 2002, and an elected official continuously since 1996. Iowans in his old district are hard core and he votes with the Republican majority 91% of the time.

There is reason for hope:

• In August 2015, King was named the least effective member of Congress by InsideGov due to his persistent failures to get legislation out of committee.
  • A short time before the 2018 election, the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC) withdrew funding for King's reelection campaign and its Chairman, Steve Stivers, condemned King's conduct.
Then again, they tried to redistrict him out of office in 2012 and he still won.

He's the worst. Literally. By a good margin, THE Congressman most openly affiliated with white nationalism

Good ol' Homer Stokes:

Give me the microphone. These boys is not white. These boys is not white. Hell, they ain't even old-timey. 

Look, I happen to know, ladies and gentlemen, that this band of miscreants here, this very evening, interfered with a lynch mob in the performance of its duty. Well, it's true. See, I belong to a certain secret society -- I don't believe I gotta mention it's name -- and these boys, here, they trampled all over our venerated observances and rituals.

Now, this here music is over, alright? 

Listen to me, these boys desecrated a fiery cross. And this ...fugitives escaped off the farm. Now, folks, these boys gotta be remanded to the authorities. Criminals.

And, I have it from the highest authority that that negra sold his soul to the devil.

[audience expresses disapproval]

Wait, wait a minute folks. It's true. It's true. Now, wait a minute, folks. Is you is or is you ain't my constituency? Is you is or is you ain't my constituency? Is you is or -- [plug pulled]

Of course no one cared that Robert Byrd was in the KKK.  I guess it only maters when there is a "R" next to the name.
Robert Byrd left the KKK in the last 1940s and has called his association with the organization "the biggest mistake of his life" ... and you and every other Republican on earth still cares enough about it to bring it up 70 years after the fact and almost a decade after his death.

Meanwhile it's 2019, this is a current member of the House of Representatives, and your decision to engage in nonsensical whataboutism about Byrd without even bothering to condemn King's statement first says a lot about you.

Of course no one cared that Robert Byrd was in the KKK.  I guess it only maters when there is a "R" next to the name.
:sigh:

Byrd apologized for his past association with the KKK in his youth. He had a stellar record on voting for civil rights in his later years.

The NAACP praised Byrd after his death:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd

For the 2003–2004 session, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)[70] rated Byrd's voting record as being 100% in line with the NAACP's position on the thirty-three Senate bills they evaluated. Sixteen other senators received that rating. In June 2005, Byrd proposed an additional $10,000,000 in federal funding for the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial in Washington, D.C., remarking that, "With the passage of time, we have come to learn that his Dream was the American Dream, and few ever expressed it more eloquently."[71] Upon news of his death, the NAACP released a statement praising Byrd, saying that he "became a champion for civil rights and liberties" and "came to consistently support the NAACP civil rights agenda".[72]

Of course it does.

Because you know as well as I do that today, Democrats would NEVER elect a white supremacist.

Can't say the same about the GOP unfortunately.
And Byrd disavowed the group, apologized, and worked a lot towards race relations after that.  To even compare or bring up is disingenuous...but I think you already know that (which is why its always brought up by those who wish to excuse people like King).

Note also...that nobody here is defending Byrd having been in the KKK...and nobody ever will.  Yet...here you are not saying a word about King's words and behavior...just playing the whatabout card.

And now we get the "everyone is picking on me for disagreeing"..."cesspool"..."echo chamber"...nonsense that comes when someone posts some obvious bad fishing and people tear apart that narrative with facts.

:sigh:

Byrd apologized for his past association with the KKK in his youth. He had a stellar record on voting for civil rights in his later years.

The NAACP praised Byrd after his death:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Byrd

For the 2003–2004 session, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)[70] rated Byrd's voting record as being 100% in line with the NAACP's position on the thirty-three Senate bills they evaluated. Sixteen other senators received that rating. In June 2005, Byrd proposed an additional $10,000,000 in federal funding for the Martin Luther King Jr. National Memorial in Washington, D.C., remarking that, "With the passage of time, we have come to learn that his Dream was the American Dream, and few ever expressed it more eloquently."[71] Upon news of his death, the NAACP released a statement praising Byrd, saying that he "became a champion for civil rights and liberties" and "came to consistently support the NAACP civil rights agenda".[72]
Robert Byrd was an ### that only got re-elected because he was a big at bringing pork into West Virginia.

But alas, I forgot.  He "evolved", so it is okay.

Steve King said the quiet part out loud, but this is the GOP and their platform these days. I won't say there's a white supremacist in the white house but there's there's no denying Trump actively courts their support and encourages their beliefs. 

It's sad and tragic and I hope they someday return to sanity, but this is who and what they are now.

what can congress do to a guy like this can they kick him out and what needs to occur for that happen take that to the bank brohans 

Robert Byrd was an ### that only got re-elected because he was a big at bringing pork into West Virginia.

But alas, I forgot.  He "evolved", so it is okay.
Your first statement here and him being an ### and why he was re-elected has zero to do with King or Byrd's past.  He went on to do a lot for race relations in this country and turned things around.  Again...King isn't doing that and is still pushing his brand of hatred and bias...and its telling that instead of saying anything about his behavior, you are still complaining about Byrd who is...you know...dead.

Robert Byrd sucked balls. Great defense of King comping him to a KKK anti Civil Rights anti LGBT congressman. You put the exclamation point on the anti-Steve King take.

Your first statement here and him being an ### and why he was re-elected has zero to do with King or Byrd's past.  He went on to do a lot for race relations in this country and turned things around.  Again...King isn't doing that and is still pushing his brand of hatred and bias...and its telling that instead of saying anything about his behavior, you are still complaining about Byrd who is...you know...dead.
It doesn't matter if he is dead.  General Lee is dead and so is JEB Stewart and they are having statues removed and school names stripped because of the way they lived (which was the norm then).  If it doesn't matter if they are dead, then they shouldn't be torn down.

Either way, dead or alive, Robert Byrd was an ###.

Users who are viewing this thread