What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (5 Viewers)

Ilov80s said:
Krista's great thread has got me thinking about a half-way equivalent movie thread. We could re-do the Best Picture Oscars and see what should have really won? 
You do this 80's, and I'll be just as big a pest in your thread as I am in this one. 👍

However, I know very little about movies from the past decade or so. I may need to catch up with the times. 

At the least, we can pass the time... 🙂

Million Dollar Idea*:  I've listened to these "My Fab Four" bits on the Beatles channel for a couple of years and thought, "What kind of meatball would want to do that?"  For those without SiriusXM, it's a segment where sometimes a musician but sometimes just some random gets on-air and talks about/plays their four favorite Beatles songs.  But what if I got on there, and in my segment managed to work in a couple of veiled references to this place and/or the posters in this thread.  "My next song is 'Let It Be,' because Paul blahblahblah but my friend [Shaft's first name] always plays it to console himself if the [Yankee]'s lose."  That's a terrible example, but you get the idea.

Or, many of us could try to get on there to do the same.  Maybe amongst the crowd someone would.  I haven't any idea what's entailed but every time they play it they do a bit where they tell you how to apply.

#### it.  I'll try at least. 

*No actual cash value

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the idea, K. 

I no have Sirius, but no matter, can I still apply? 

On the other hand , you know how I so fear embarrassing myself... 😜

On a related note, I had something similar in mind for my coverage of Abbey Road On The River. 

I'm hoping that you and some of the regulars will suggest some questions I can ask the crowd. (e.g. "So, K wants to know - are you an eggman or a walrus?")

As long as it don't break the law or offend anyone, I'll ask bout anything. 

And, now that I can upload audio, I figured that it would be easy to post the interviews. I may even attempt some videos. Pics are a given. 

Anyways... DO IT! 👍

Final question - so, where can we find your TV and radio work?! 

😉

I love the idea, K. 

I no have Sirius, but no matter, can I still apply? 

On the other hand , you know how I so fear embarrassing myself... 😜

On a related note, I had something similar in mind for my coverage of Abbey Road On The River. 

I'm hoping that you and some of the regulars will suggest some questions I can ask the crowd. (e.g. "So, K wants to know - are you an eggman or a walrus?")

As long as it don't break the law or offend anyone, I'll ask bout anything. 

And, now that I can upload audio, I figured that it would be easy to post the interviews. I may even attempt some videos. Pics are a given. 

Anyways... DO IT! 👍

Final question - so, where can we find your TV and radio work?! 

😉
Thanks, GB.  I checked quickly and started to fill out the form, but my Mac is garbage and I couldn't seem to get it submitted.  I'm not sure if you need to be a subscriber.  It looked like the form was just random - list your name, email, and four favorite songs, rather than giving you any "audition" or something that would be more useful.  So I don't know if any of us could get anywhere without pulling strings.  I'll check it out more fully when I can, but will be busy tomorrow (taking my mom snowshoeing in the afternoon!), so if anyone else wants to investigate, that's great.

Good news for me is that most or all of my radio and TV stuff was pre-2001, so I'm hopeful it's not available online.   :)   Oh!  Also, it was TV news interviews, talk shows, and radio segments, not acting.  

ETA:  Definite yes on submitting questions for your Abbey Road on the River stint!

Thanks, GB.  I checked quickly and started to fill out the form, but my Mac is garbage and I couldn't seem to get to it.  I'm not sure if you need to be a subscriber.  It looked like the form was just random - list your name, email, and four favorite songs, rather than giving you any "audition" or something that would be more useful.  So I don't know if any of us could get anywhere without pulling strings.  I'll check it out more fully when I can, but will be busy tomorrow (taking my mom snowshoeing in the afternoon!), so if anyone else wants to investigate, that's great.

Good news for me is that most or all of my radio and TV stuff was pre-2001, so I'm hopeful it's not available online.   :)  
Sounds good; have fun with mom; teach her arcing! 

Re: your work... 😂

Actually, I did 2 radio commercials in the late 80s for a local drug rehab center - can't remember name. 

It's possible you heard em...perhaps. 

Anyways, I was typecast...as usual...druggie. 😕

I nailed it tho! 😁

I filled out the form and submitted it just now.  I'm totally down for this idea if I were to get selected.  

"I chose Penny Lane because it's a song about remembering the past.  My friend, Krista, had broken up with a man of constant sorrow and I wanted her to remember all the good times from her past, not the lame ones. I told her to compile rankings of childhood memories and, even if no one else read them, she would have them to remember and say 'What the heck, man, I have great memories'".  I encouraged her to go all the way back to when she used a binky, hoping my lighthearted tone gets a laugh or 15.  Feel the joy you got from watching a fun character like Alex P. Keaton on 'Family Ties' or listening to some hard rock action and really letting it groove us.  I hope this song really cheers her up because some people have ridiculed her about some of her past choices. Here's a song I can't imagine anyone giving the shaft and not having in their top 10 Beatles song.  It's Penny Lane, on My Fab Four on The Beatles Channel."  

I filled out the form and submitted it just now.  I'm totally down for this idea if I were to get selected.  

"I chose Penny Lane because it's a song about remembering the past.  My friend, Krista, had broken up with a man of constant sorrow and I wanted her to remember all the good times from her past, not the lame ones. I told her to compile rankings of childhood memories and, even if no one else read them, she would have them to remember and say 'What the heck, man, I have great memories'".  I encouraged her to go all the way back to when she used a binky, hoping my lighthearted tone gets a laugh or 15.  Feel the joy you got from watching a fun character like Alex P. Keaton on 'Family Ties' or listening to some hard rock action and really letting it groove us.  I hope this song really cheers her up because some people have ridiculed her about some of her past choices. Here's a song I can't imagine anyone giving the shaft and not having in their top 10 Beatles song.  It's Penny Lane, on My Fab Four on The Beatles Channel."  
:lmao:  Fantastic.

I submitted mine.  Had to change up my real top four to take out the medley and spice it up a bit.  Realized I missed a golden opportunity, though; sometimes people play solo stuff from the guys instead, and I could have included "Temporary Secretary" and gotten an Ilove80s reference in there.

For some reason I thought I glanced and this thread was at 1117 pages and my jaw hit the floor. I guess 117 makes a lot more sense. Anyone know what the last FFA thread to go over 100 pages was?

For some reason I thought I glanced and this thread was at 1117 pages and my jaw hit the floor. I guess 117 makes a lot more sense. Anyone know what the last FFA thread to go over 100 pages was?
Don't know, but seems like the Dog Poop Protocol thread is going to be the next one.   :mellow:  

I went looking for the form, but found this instead.  

Here are the Top 100 Beatles songs, according to you, our Sirius XM listeners.

100. Julia

99. I’m A Loser

98. Magical Mystery Tour

97. I’ll Be Back

96. Maxwell’s Silver Hammer

95. Baby You’re A Rich Man

94. You Won’t See Me

93. Fixing A Hole

92. Till There Was You

91. Hey Bulldog

90. Birthday

89. You Can’t Do That

88. Good Day Sunshine

87. I’m Happy Just To Dance With You

86. Yellow Submarine

85. Martha My Dear

84. Tomorrow Never Knows

83. Lovely Rita

82. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!

81. I’m Looking Through You

80. No Reply

79. Octopus’s Garden

78. If I Needed Someone

77. I Need You

76. Please Please Me

75. You Never Give Me Your Money

74. Drive My Car

73. With A Little Help From My Friends

72. Things We Said Today

71. Lady Madonna

70. Rocky Raccoon

69. The Night Before

68. I’ll Follow The Sun

67. The Ballad Of John And Yoko

66. Do You Want To Know A Secret?

65. The Fool On The Hill

64. You’re Going To Lose That Girl

63. And Your Bird Can Sing

62. Taxman

61. Hello Goodbye

60. Got To Get You Into My Life

59. I Should Have Known Better

58. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

57. Michelle

56. Girl

55. Because

54. Can’t Buy Me Love

53. We Can Work It Out

52. When I’m Sixty-Four

51. I Will

50. I Feel Fine

49. Back In The U.S.S.R.

48. Paperback Writer

47. Two Of Us

46. Eight Days A Week

45. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)

44. She Loves You

43. Twist And Shout

42. She’s Leaving Home

41. Ticket To Ride

40. I’ve Just Seen A Face

39. Helter Skelter

38. Oh! Darling

37. Rain

36. Day Tripper

35. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

34. Nowhere Man

33. For No One

32. Happiness Is A Warm Gun

31. Revolution

30. Get Back

29. I Want To Hold Your Hand

28. A Hard Day’s Night

27. All My Loving

26. Dear Prudence

25. The Long And Winding Road

24. All You Need Is Love

23. And I Love Her

22. I Saw Her Standing There

21. Help!

20. Don’t Let Me Down

19. If I Fell

18. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

17. Penny Lane

16. Come Together

15. Here, There And Everywhere

14. Across The Universe

13. I Am The Walrus

12. Blackbird

11. Eleanor Rigby

10. Yesterday

9. Strawberry Fields Forever

8. Let It Be

7. Here Comes The Sun

6. Something

5. Abbey Road Medley

4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

3. Hey Jude

2. In My Life

1. A Day In The Life

Never like David Simon series as much as i want to. Quit The Wire after two seasons and am not in a format to try it again (HBO, right?). Couldn't stay with Treme either. And i was one of the 1st guys on him from Homicide: Life on the Streets but that too went south after the wonderful Ned Beatty/Juliana Margulies arc ended. The thing he did with Oscar Isaac wasn't bad but the couple eps of The Deuce i saw stunk on ice.

only posting at all because i hate seeing this thread on pg 2

:)   Thanks for the save.  I saw it was on page 2 as well, but figured I'd let it die with dignity.  I do need to go back and save my write-ups as well as the links to everyone's performances.

As for David Simon, I can't contribute much.  Mr. krista loves all of his stuff.  Of all the things I'm passionate about, though, TV has somehow never made the list, except for sports and occasional horrible reality TV.  Think I've watched five shows in the past 25 years:  this one, which I power watched all at once in 2012; Breaking Bad, for which I did the same in 2013; The Leftovers, for which I did the same at the beginning of this year; Game of Thrones, for which I'm currently doing the same in anticipation of the upcoming final season; and Better Call Saul, the only one I've watched live.  Of these, The Wire is the standout to me in every respect.  You'd find most people like Seasons 3 and 4 the best.  If you ever decide to give it another shot, it's free on Prime and is available on Hulu and other sources in addition to HBO.
Yeah, i got a wk next month where my sister taps me out of tending the peeps and i go to her place on the shore and watch her animals. She has all the channels so i binge a couple things while i'm there. I wanna finish Leftovers and maybe i'll re-do Wire instead of S3 of True Detective or Billions.

Tellya, tho, i been one-a-day rewatching The West Wing for the first time in over a decade and forgot how much of my favorite it was when Sorkin was running it. Funny thing is that i never think of Trump or any nowadays bs when i watch, even thought WW is as much a fairytale now as GoT.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on The Leftovers when you've finished it.  I was blown away; might have even said aloud that I thought it was better than The Wire, until I calmed down and came to my senses.  I need to rewatch it, maybe later this year.  Carrie Coon is Mr. krista's celebrity(?) crush.  Hell, she might be mine, too; she's phenomenal.  

I never watched The West Wing, but Mr. krista seems to be constantly re-watching it.  He's always encouraging me to fire up that or The Sopranos.
If you're not a TV person, you're not a TV person. I'd be very surprised, though, if you watched WW and werent all-in by the S1 Christmas show, perhaps the best TV ep ever. 

i got CCoonitis from her season on Fargo

I know there’s a lot of great TV out there, so hate to say “not a TV person.”  But there are books, movies, music, hiking & climbing, friends, all the wine, most of the pizza, the Blackhawks, my brackets (to come).  There’s putting together a 204-song list for no good reason.  TV just seems like a big commitment.

If I do another show after GoT, I’ll make it WW.
priorities....

:lmao:   OK, now this is an idea I could get behind.  

What's in this show for me, by the way?  I know there's an actress in it with real and spectacular boobs, which is nice but I'm going to need more.
It's my fave show ever.  Tanner and I can help you with the write ups. It's hard to get past the boobs, but there is a ton more to write about it.  Hell, the songs they play at the end of each episode could be a thread by themselves.

So guys?  I have some BREAKING NEWS.

One of our own, @Kilgore Trout, submitted to the Fab Four on the Beatles channel, but instead of giving them four songs, he linked them to this thread.  And they sent him a note saying they wanted him to record a My Fab Four segment.  He's kindly and graciously directed them to me instead, so we're going to see if we can coordinate the trade-off.  If so, then I'll need to put together a recording next week.

Get your ideas and your :popcorn:  ready.

One of our own, @Kilgore Trout, submitted to the Fab Four on the Beatles channel, but instead of giving them four songs, he linked them to this thread.  And they sent him a note saying they wanted him to record a My Fab Four segment.  He's kindly and graciously directed them to me instead, so we're going to see if we can coordinate the trade-off.  If so, then I'll need to put together a recording next week.

You are going to have to figure out how to work the words wikkidpissah, fatguy, and Nipsey into your script.

Way to go Kilgore!  :bow:

K4, my ideas are percolating, but they may be muddy water. 

More later. 

Look forward to others input. 

And, then, k's world wide debut! 

You are going to have to figure out how to work the words wikkidpissah, fatguy, and Nipsey into your script.
:lol:   You bet I will.  

I have one of the intros mostly scripted in my head, but will be accepting ideas on intros for the others.  I don't really care which songs they are, as long as they're in my top 25 or so.  Remember that these will need to be somewhat pithy.  

:lmao:   OK, now this is an idea I could get behind.  

What's in this show for me, by the way?  I know there's an actress in it with real and spectacular boobs, which is nice but I'm going to need more.
Mad Men is my favorite all-time show (at least it was still i started re-watching West Wing) because it's the most existential. That said, it's a very patrician take on a very patrician time and watching menchildren screw up their worlds could be found tiresome in this "give it a rest" age.

Wikkid, I think you can find The Wire on Netflix too. That's where I binged it in '16.
If Netflix carried it, it no longer does

SInce this is the new TV talk show,  I think the first time I fully became aware of our wonderful @wikkidpissah was when we shared our love for S1 of Downton Abbey. That show falls apart fast but the first season is divine. 
That first season was completely wonderful but all subsequent seasons were so filed down by even-handed character treatments & affected gentility truer to today than its time that the phenomenon is still poisoning every period piece coming from across the pond

I just heard from the Sirius guy, who asked if I can send him an mp3 file.

How do I do this?   :bag:   :bag:   :bag:  
You got a recorder on your phone or laptop etc? 

If so, make sure it encodes to mp3. It should be in the main settings. 

Then, make sure ya know where file is saved. Also should be in Settings. 

Record. 

Copy or insert file into email or text etc. 

Making sense am I? 

If not, I may have a link. 

Oh, you could also upload it to Nipsey's site. 

OK, I found this:  https://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-MP3-File

Looks like I need Nipsey's Audacity software and...I don't know.  I'll figure it out.

Any non-Penny Lane song requests?
I think you should do your top 4. Maybe sub the medley for I'm So Tired since it is personal. And tell your story. Also, I think if you record your voice on your phone it will be an MP3. There might be a special app for that. And he did say you could do it by phone.

This is tricky because you're also running shtick. I'm not creative enough to know which songs would fit that best.
I want to run shtick but also want it to be sincere.  Just shtick sprinkles.  I like Kilgore's idea of I'm So Tired.  I also think Across The Universe is a must.  Since those are two John songs, maybe I've Just Seen a Face to have some Paul, and then something else.  A Ringo Showcase!?!

Users who are viewing this thread