Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

Recommended Posts

Thought Yesterday was a major disappointment. Best thing was Paul on the closing credits, which couldn’t have come any faster. 

1/10

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We saw "Yesterday" tonight, and enjoyed it a lot.  Unlike Krista, whose thoughts I actually read, I knew it was a rom-com, which is also not in my top 6,432 genres of movie.  But we so rarely see movies in the theater that it was a stated point to go and see this one.  I didn't love all of it, but I got a few laughs out of it and enjoyed the music. although the song he uses to beat Ed Sheeran at the songwriting contest is a big😭

Looking forward to Krista's review of Paul's show tomorrow night.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy 79th birthday to Ringo Starr

  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eephus said:

Happy 79th birthday to Ringo Starr

:heart:

Beatles channel has had "My Fab Four" from semi-famous drummers all week in tribute to Ringo, as well as a Ringo-DJ'd show they've been playing over and over.  It's been A RINGO SHOWCASE!!

Peace and love, everyone.

Back from Paul's show today; report coming soon.

  • Like 7
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Yesterday a couple of nights ago with my wife and we enjoyed it greatly.  I thought it was wonderfully entertaining and quite special.  As others note, the rom-com element was nothing great (and not too convincing).  But the placement of various songs in the overall plot was intriguing and highlighted the brilliance of the Beatles.  And that one scene ...OMG, how touching.  

I recommend the movie.  Go and enjoy the experience; sit back and feel joy during the credits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

 And that one scene ...OMG, how touching.  

I'm trying to figure out how we could discern which scene without giving too much away.  At first I thought you might mean my favorite scene, which was the one backstage at the big Gorleston show, with the two "weirdos."  But then I realized you might mean the scene after that, at the beach house.  Loved them both in any case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, krista4 said:

I'm trying to figure out how we could discern which scene without giving too much away.  At first I thought you might mean my favorite scene, which was the one backstage at the big Gorleston show, with the two "weirdos."  But then I realized you might mean the scene after that, at the beach house.  Loved them both in any case.

The latter (so as not to say more for now).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Paul again last night.  Take it from somebody who's seen a lot of bands, and in particular a lot of old farts in the last few years, due to my lady's tastes.. No old fart still has it like he does.  ####### great ,S.  3 hours of energy and badassery, never feels canned, never feels tired

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I'm more than a bit late with my Paul concert report.

First the set list:

A Hard Day's Night

Junior's Farm

All My Loving

Letting Go

Who Cares

Got to Get You Into My Life

Come On To Me

Let Me Roll It (ending with "Foxy Lady")

I've Got a Feeling

Let 'Em In

My Valentine

Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five

Maybe I'm Amazed

I've Just Seen a Face

In Spite of All the Danger

From Me To You

Dance Tonight

Love Me Do

Blackbird

Here Today

Queenie Eye

Lady Madonna

Eleanor Rigby

Fuh You

Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!

Something

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Band on the Run

Back in the U.S.S.R.

Let It Be

Live and Let Die

Hey Jude

Birthday

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)

Helter Skelter

Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts in no particular order!

As many have mentioned, Sir Paul's energy was indescribable.  Our group each realized we were exhausted just from watching/dancing along, so how he could do this seemingly without a pause was incredible.  No breaks, nearly three hours, over 35 songs.  And he almost never even stopped for a sip of water!

Highlights for me:

I had the usual set list up, so I was ready in case this came on.  He alternates between this and "We Can Work It Out," so I was thrilled to get my 4th (or better) favorite song.  

The first bit of the show was more tending toward newer stuff, so the crowd was less energetic.  An exception was "Let Me Roll It," which was a blast.

There was no part of the show more rocking, in my opinion, than "Band on the Run" followed by "Back in the U.S.S.R."  Just a ####### jam.

If I had to choose a favorite song, it was, shockingly, "Something."  Paul started it by himself on ukelele, which gave a sweet start.  Then it went into the full band but with photos of George or George/Paul together being beamed throughout.  It felt intimate and loving and beautiful.  Oddly, there weren't any such moments w/r/t John despite many John songs being performed.  Anyway, it was a gorgeous tribute to George.

Of the new songs, "Fuh You" was the standout in terms of performance and crowd reaction.  Perfect power pop.

"Eleanor Rigby" was performed with the keyboardist as the only accompaniment, joining Paul with the string parts done with effects on that keyboard.  It worked really well.

"Dance Tonight" would be a throwaway song but was elevated by the charming dance performance from the terribly-non-Ringo drummer.  Super cute.

Paul was amazingly facile with the crowd.  Though he told a lot of (great) stories that began with, "I always tell this story," they seemed natural and unrehearsed.  But more impressive was his interaction with the crowd.  For reasons I can't fathom, people were allowed to bring signs into the venue, but it led to some nice moments where he looked into the crowd and riffed off the signs.  One of the best was a woman who had been to over 100 Paul shows! 

I picked a bad time to go to a show with huge pyrotechnics as they had on "Live and Let Die," just having read (based on a recommendation in the book thread here) the book about 100 people dying due to pyro at a Great White show in Rhode Island in the early aughts. I spent the whole song eyeing the nearest emergency exits and evaluating whether we needed to retreat.

His horn section and the rest of the backing band were mostly phenomenal.  Only downers were the George Thorogood/Gary Busey mosh-up playing guitar/bass backup, and to a certain extent the drummer.  The drummer was technically good, but mashed away rather than having the style and more reserved but compelling technique of a Ringo. 

Disappointments(!):

"Helter Skelter" is a favorite (#25) of mine, but a combo of it being late in the set and the terrible acoustics of the venue made it a muddled mess, almost unrecognizable.

There were a few places in the set where Paul had been doing an "either/or/or."  I was sooooo lucky to get my #4 over "We Can Work It Out," as mentioned above, as well as getting my #12 of "All My Loving" over "Can't Buy Me Love."  A little disappointed, though, to get "Junior's Farm" over "Hi Hi Hi," but massively disappointed to get "Birthday" over...are you ready for this..."Yesterday" or "I Saw Her Standing There."  How does "Birthday" even make the list compared to those two?

Not so much a disappointment to me, for the rest of the crowd, was when Paul announced he was going to do a song from Sgt. Pepper's.  Much excitement!  Then he launched into "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite."  Much confusion!  It was like no one knew the song at all.  Well maybe they do now.

 

ETA:  Don't worry!  Those three clips, plus a failed attempt at "All My Loving," were my only videos!  I was just watching and enjoying.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 14
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2019 at 9:32 PM, krista4 said:

I've been pretty bad about it but am trying to recover my groove and get out more.  

Bad - bad girl; get to you groove!  🏃‍♀️

I kid. 😁

I'm very happy to hear that you're going to be able to increase your activity!  That's great about the weight gain.  I haven't been to Iroquois Park in ages but remember that it's beautiful.  Sounds like a nice place to start.

 

Thnx much. I can't do the rough terrain yet, as my foot is still slightly impaired, but improving by the day. I almost have my full range of motion back - and no more need for a cane. Thus, I am sticking to pavement and easy trails for now. 

 

5 hours ago, krista4 said:

My thoughts in no particular order!

As many have mentioned, Sir Paul's energy was indescribable.  Our group each realized we were exhausted just from watching/dancing along, so how he could do this seemingly without a pause was incredible.  No breaks, nearly three hours, over 35 songs.  And he almost never even stopped for a sip of water!

...

This whole thing is sweet.

I am shooting for Sir Paul's energy, but will be happy to follow in his shadow. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nipsey said:

All I've Got To Do

https://clyp.it/wfzagqyo

What people don’t know is that I hassled you to do this one even though it’s crazy difficult, and then you went and nailed it.  :wub:  Thank you!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nipsey said:

All I've Got To Do

https://clyp.it/wfzagqyo

Just put on my copy of With The Beatles because of this. Haven't pulled the record out in a while.  This song -- the second track on the version I have -- is now playing. Such harmonies. Sounds really, really good this morning. Good morning, folks. Hope you have a lovely day!

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Just put on my copy of With The Beatles because of this. Haven't pulled the record out in a while.  This song -- the second track on the version I have -- is now playing. Such harmonies. Sounds really, really good this morning. Good morning, folks. Hope you have a lovely day!

Think I’ll put on With The Beatles today in honor of this post and Nipsey’s recording, too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Just put on my copy of With The Beatles because of this. Haven't pulled the record out in a while.  This song -- the second track on the version I have -- is now playing. Such harmonies. Sounds really, really good this morning. Good morning, folks. Hope you have a lovely day!

I start most mornings with the Beatles.   It is usually:  "Alexa, play the Beatles."    It always sounds great.   

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently listening to Rubber Soul after knocking out AHDN and Help! this morning. I guess With the Beatles will have to be next.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Murph said:

Currently listening to Rubber Soul after knocking out AHDN and Help! this morning. I guess With the Beatles will have to be next.

Didn't do well overall in my rankings, because Beatles!, but the first three tracks of side one are terrific, and there are two of my three favorite cover songs on there, too (You Really Got A Hold On Me and "Money").  Plus "Hold Me Tight" has that fabulous dissonance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Fabulous Dissonance" was the name of my one-man show on internet influencers. The Twitter buzz between the cast members was so bad it never opened.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beatles Channel just can't quit me.  Emailed today to say my segment will be replayed twice next week.  We'll ignore the fact that the times are 4 a.m. and 7 a.m. EDT and just agree I'm probably going to be a star.  Anything you guys want me to relay to Ringo once we start hanging out regularly?

 

Oh, hey @Murph, how did you and your fiancee do with your listening project?  Faves?

  • Like 10
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, krista4 said:

Beatles Channel just can't quit me.  Emailed today to say my segment will be replayed twice next week.  We'll ignore the fact that the times are 4 a.m. and 7 a.m. EDT and just agree I'm probably going to be a star.  Anything you guys want me to relay to Ringo once we start hanging out regularly?

 

Oh, hey @Murph, how did you and your fiancee do with your listening project?  Faves?

Which day(s)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Which day(s)?

8/26:  4 am EDT 

8/29:  7 am EDT

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, krista4 said:

Beatles Channel just can't quit me.  Emailed today to say my segment will be replayed twice next week.  We'll ignore the fact that the times are 4 a.m. and 7 a.m. EDT and just agree I'm probably going to be a star.  Anything you guys want me to relay to Ringo once we start hanging out regularly?

 

Oh, hey @Murph, how did you and your fiancee do with your listening project?  Faves?

After listening through every song and reading every write-up we still continue to play Beatles almost non-stop at our house. I still find myself coming back to this thread regularly whenever I notice something new in a song. Funnily the other day I really noticed for the first time how awesome Paul's bass is in Nowhere Man. And I thought to myself, I can't remember if Krista even mentioned in her write-up. Sure enough..

 

Quote

George's work on this song is so distractingly excellent that I only recently started noticing Paul's bass line, and now I find it impossible not to focus on it; I'm convinced it's one of his best.

 

As for favorites, we've been kicking around the idea of doing top-25 lists (but probably unranked because, obviously you'd have to be nuts....)

But I think my Top 4 are set in stone:

4. Ticket to Ride

3. Two of Us

2. Let it Be

1. I've Just Seen a Face

Her Top 3:

3. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

2. And Your Bird Can Sing

1. In My Life

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that some time has passed, anyone else thinking of going back and reading this thread, since none of us read Krista's writeups the first time?  

  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Shaft41 said:

Now that some time has passed, anyone else thinking of going back and reading this thread, since none of us read Krista's writeups the first time?  

I was gonna ease into it by reading every 4th post

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Murph said:

After listening through every song and reading every write-up we still continue to play Beatles almost non-stop at our house. I still find myself coming back to this thread regularly whenever I notice something new in a song. Funnily the other day I really noticed for the first time how awesome Paul's bass is in Nowhere Man. And I thought to myself, I can't remember if Krista even mentioned in her write-up. Sure enough..

 

 

As for favorites, we've been kicking around the idea of doing top-25 lists (but probably unranked because, obviously you'd have to be nuts....)

But I think my Top 4 are set in stone:

4. Ticket to Ride

3. Two of Us

2. Let it Be

1. I've Just Seen a Face

Her Top 3:

3. You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

2. And Your Bird Can Sing

1. In My Life

That's awesome.  And I love your lists.  Three of my top five are on there!  There are probably no songs that makes me happier when they come on than "I've Just Seen a Face" and "And Your Bird Can Sing."

I think you should both do top 25 lists and submit them so that @Getzlaf15 has to redo the group rankings. ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and as to my write-ups...a week or two ago I heard Tom Petty's cover of "I Need You" and thought, "Wow, why didn't I post this one as my suggested cover?"  Went to the list to see what I had suggested instead and yup, it was Tom Petty's version.  So obviously I didn't read my own write-ups, either.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3
  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, krista4 said:

That's awesome.  And I love your lists.  Three of my top five are on there!  There are probably no songs that makes me happier when they come on than "I've Just Seen a Face" and "And Your Bird Can Sing."

I think you should both do top 25 lists and submit them so that @Getzlaf15 has to redo the group rankings. ;) 

Based on unranked rough drafts, we would add two new songs to the composite list. One on both lists, one on hers only.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Shaft41 said:

I'm George.  You bastards need to appreciate my understated genius.  

I'm George as well.  :hifive: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom was a George so I became a George at an early age. 

But I scored a Ringo on the assessment. 

Edited by Ilov80s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

But I scored a Ringo on the assessment. 

Lucky.

I think if I could have answered the "which of these quotes speak to you" (or whatever) question with my real answer, "This is all a bunch of bull####," I could have been John.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krista4 said:

Lucky.

I think if I could have answered the "which of these quotes speak to you" (or whatever) question with my real answer, "This is all a bunch of bull####," I could have been John.

Funny, I answered the quiz honest and got Ringo. Then, since I didn't get my old fave George and I saw you pulled George, I wanted to see what that meant.  I took the quiz again trying to get George and I got it in one shot. Does that mean this is a good test? A bad test? Has this assessment been standardized? 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Funny, I answered the quiz honest and got Ringo. Then, since I didn't get my old fave George and I saw you pulled George, I wanted to see what that meant.  I took the quiz again trying to get George and I got it in one shot. Does that mean this is a good test? A bad test? Has this assessment been standardized? 

Same here, but I didn't care enough to re-do it. I think I have that backbeat. Never going to inspire an Astrid, but I'll keep time. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@krista4 @Getzlaf15

 

25. All You Need Is Love

24. Lovely Rita

23. Hey Bulldog

22. Blackbird

21. I Saw Her Standing There

20. Taxman

19. Tomorrow Never Knows

18. Dig a Pony

17. For No One

16. Drive My Car

15. Ballad of John and Yoko

14. Happiness is a Warm Gun

13. You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away

12. Can’t Buy Me Love

11. I’ve Got a Feeling

10. Any Time At All

9. Nowhere Man

8. Help!

7. A Day In the Life

6. I Want You (She’s So Heavy)

5. Abbey Road Medley

4. Ticket to Ride

3. Two of Us

2. Let It Be

1. I’ve Just Seen a Face

 

All rankings subject to change at any time and without notice. :)

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Murph said:

@krista4 @Getzlaf15

 

10. Any Time At All

Love your list.  (Of course.)  My 2020 rankings will have this one a lot higher than I did before, too.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Great work @krista4 introducing Eleanor Rigby in the All Together Now countdown.  A very pleasant surprise on my drive down to Baltimore yesterday :thumbup:

Thanks!  I didn’t realize they were re-running the countdown!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just watching the television when "Help!" came on during one of the commercials. It had such a raw beginning, that plaintive wail. Anyway, it's a cute commercial about a dog eating all of his treats by the monstrous Google corp. but the music really struck me out of its normal context. It sounded really aggressive, raw, and really crying for help.

Anyway, thought of this thread and figured I'd post. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rockaction said:

Was just watching the television when "Help!" came on during one of the commercials. It had such a raw beginning, that plaintive wail. Anyway, it's a cute commercial about a dog eating all of his treats by the monstrous Google corp. but the music really struck me out of its normal context. It sounded really aggressive, raw, and really crying for help.

Anyway, thought of this thread and figured I'd post. 

I feel like I can't hear these songs fresh like that anymore.  Even outside normal context I probably revert to my "usual" listening of the song.  That's very cool.  

Well, that being said, I did learn new ways of listening during this thread as people pointed out stuff or shared their reactions.  I mean that on my own I might have hit the end of the newness.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I feel like I can't hear these songs fresh like that anymore.  Even outside normal context I probably revert to my "usual" listening of the song.  That's very cool.  

Well, that being said, I did learn new ways of listening during this thread as people pointed out stuff or shared their reactions.  I mean that on my own I might have hit the end of the newness.  

Yeah, I can relate to that. I was surprised at how it sounded new. It had to totally come out of left field for that to happen, and it did because of the way the commercial was shot and the simple quotidian task I was doing while half paying attention. But now I know the commercial and I'm expecting the song, so the effect is different than when I first saw it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.