What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (10 Viewers)

i miss that guy from hostess fruitpies wrappers he was named fruit pie the magacian fyi take that to the bank brohans
I thought you were trying to be funny, but I googled it and damn if that wasn't his actual name.  Fruit Pies were a favorite of mine.  Used to ask for them instead of cake for my birthday.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
i miss that guy from hostess fruitpies wrappers he was named fruit pie the magacian fyi take that to the bank brohans
I thought you were trying to be funny, but I googled it and damn if that wasn't his actual name.  Fruit Pies were a favorite of mine.  Used to ask for them instead of cake for my birthday.
brohan i have wasted so may 50 cents then 1 dollar and now 1 dollar and fifty cents in the break room on those babies through the years it isnt even funny that right there is the swc sin tax take that to the bank bromigos

I believe there may be video evidence in support of this

I mentioned a few days ago that I took a bit of break from nonstop Beatles that was brought on by this thread.  But I've come back to the fold the last few days, even after my greeting on the Beatles Channel was the ####in' Fool on the Hill.  Heck, I never watch Stephen Colbert, but I watched the whole show last night because it was all Paul McCartney.  

So, with that in mind, I'm going to re-read this thread.  Every post.  Even Krista's.  I'm going to listen to every song again when I come to it in the rankings.  I'm going to see if my personal top 25 changes.  What this thread inspired within me, my family and this community is something I'm going to hold onto like grim death.  Looking forward to getting start...hang on, this is 129 pages now?  Guess I know what I'm doing until Christmas.  

I mentioned a few days ago that I took a bit of break from nonstop Beatles that was brought on by this thread.  But I've come back to the fold the last few days, even after my greeting on the Beatles Channel was the ####in' Fool on the Hill.  Heck, I never watch Stephen Colbert, but I watched the whole show last night because it was all Paul McCartney.  

So, with that in mind, I'm going to re-read this thread.  Every post.  Even Krista's.  I'm going to listen to every song again when I come to it in the rankings.  I'm going to see if my personal top 25 changes.  What this thread inspired within me, my family and this community is something I'm going to hold onto like grim death.  Looking forward to getting start...hang on, this is 129 pages now?  Guess I know what I'm doing until Christmas.  
if you just skim Krista's posts for her boyfriend's cool takes & Ringo Showcase alerts it'll go much faster

if you just skim Krista's posts for her boyfriend's cool takes & Ringo Showcase alerts it'll go much faster
I'm already finding that Krista actually had some interesting things to say, now that I'm finally reading her posts.  And weirdly, at least as of today, "Wild Honey PIe" wouldn't even be in my bottom 20.  I found myself kind of digging it, incidentally way more than "Dig It."  

I'm already finding that Krista actually had some interesting things to say, now that I'm finally reading her posts.  And weirdly, at least as of today, "Wild Honey PIe" wouldn't even be in my bottom 20.  I found myself kind of digging it, incidentally way more than "Dig It."  
There’s a decent chance if I did this today, “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road” would end up last.  Abominable.

There’s a decent chance if I did this today, “Why Don’t We Do It In The Road” would end up last.  Abominable.
I just got to "Blue Jay Way" and it confirmed for me (which I always suspected since I turn the channel when it comes on the Beatles Channel) that song is the nadir of dreck for me.  

FATHER OF THE YEAR UPDATE:

My two sons, both of whom are freshmen in high school, went to their first Homecoming dance last night.  In getting the report when they got home, naturally, I asked if they actually danced, or just stood along the wall as many 14-15 year old boys will do.  They said they danced some, but most of the music was "crap."  I asked if the DJ took requests, and they said yes, but none of theirs were played.  Turns out they both requested nothing but Beatles songs all night long, but they were ignored for some sweet Cardi B or somesuch action.  

FATHER OF THE YEAR UPDATE:

My two sons, both of whom are freshmen in high school, went to their first Homecoming dance last night.  In getting the report when they got home, naturally, I asked if they actually danced, or just stood along the wall as many 14-15 year old boys will do.  They said they danced some, but most of the music was "crap."  I asked if the DJ took requests, and they said yes, but none of theirs were played.  Turns out they both requested nothing but Beatles songs all night long, but they were ignored for some sweet Cardi B or somesuch action.  
You're bringing them up right!

I was wondering how your re-listen is going...?

krista4 said:
You're bringing them up right!

I was wondering how your re-listen is going...?
I'm enjoying it just as much, if not more, than the first time.  Not just the re-listening, but the re-reading of the posts has been a blast.  I have just gotten to the top 50, so lots of good stuff still to come.  Man, I miss the heyday of this thread.  

There are a couple of songs that have shot way up my rankings, if I were daft enough to attempt to rank all 204, which, of course, I'm not, because, frankly, who would be, and would be strong contenders for my top 25 now if I were to re-do them.  They are "If I Fell" and "Another Girl".  I now realize the minor-to-major key shifts and harmonies, particularly on the chorus of "Another Girl" should have made my favorite individual moments on any Beatles song list.  Of course, in moving these into my top 25, I naturally have no idea what songs I would move out.  Maybe my "Monkey" love is taboo.  

Other songs that have moved up in my unofficial, strictly-in-my-head rankings after revisiting this thread:  "Wild Honey Pie", (yeah, I went there) "Wait", "Lovely Rita" and "Oh! Darling."  I find an excellent indicator of my love and appreciation for a song is when I wake up with it in my head and sing it in the shower, even if it was days earlier when I last listened to it.  That's happening with these songs, in particular, a lot.  

Some songs have moved down though:  "Act Naturally" is not a favorite, at all.  Even though I'm an unabashed Paul + gorgeous melody + sappiness fan, "Here, There and Everywhere" is just too 70's AM radio easy listening for me.  "Revolution #9" will always be my #204, but I think now there's no doubt "Blue Jay Way" is #203, just nosing out the Spectorized "The Long and Winding Road"  I used to LOVE "When I'm 64", but I've unofficially decided it is, by far, the most-often-played-on-the-Beatles-Channel-whilst-Steve-is-driving song (along with that ####### Fool on the Hill, natch), and I'm getting sick of it.  

My son listens to Beatles songs while he does homework or showers.  It's awesome when he discovers a new one he's not familiar with and comes and tells me about it and then we listen to it together.  

I find an excellent indicator of my love and appreciation for a song is when I wake up with it in my head and sing it in the shower, even if it was days earlier when I last listened to it. 
This happened all the time to me during the countdown.   Hey Bulldog is still stuck in my head.  Rain also.

I'm enjoying it just as much, if not more, than the first time.  Not just the re-listening, but the re-reading of the posts has been a blast.  I have just gotten to the top 50, so lots of good stuff still to come.  Man, I miss the heyday of this thread.  

There are a couple of songs that have shot way up my rankings, if I were daft enough to attempt to rank all 204, which, of course, I'm not, because, frankly, who would be, and would be strong contenders for my top 25 now if I were to re-do them.  They are "If I Fell" and "Another Girl".  I now realize the minor-to-major key shifts and harmonies, particularly on the chorus of "Another Girl" should have made my favorite individual moments on any Beatles song list.  Of course, in moving these into my top 25, I naturally have no idea what songs I would move out.  Maybe my "Monkey" love is taboo.  

Other songs that have moved up in my unofficial, strictly-in-my-head rankings after revisiting this thread:  "Wild Honey Pie", (yeah, I went there) "Wait", "Lovely Rita" and "Oh! Darling."  I find an excellent indicator of my love and appreciation for a song is when I wake up with it in my head and sing it in the shower, even if it was days earlier when I last listened to it.  That's happening with these songs, in particular, a lot.  

Some songs have moved down though:  "Act Naturally" is not a favorite, at all.  Even though I'm an unabashed Paul + gorgeous melody + sappiness fan, "Here, There and Everywhere" is just too 70's AM radio easy listening for me.  "Revolution #9" will always be my #204, but I think now there's no doubt "Blue Jay Way" is #203, just nosing out the Spectorized "The Long and Winding Road"  I used to LOVE "When I'm 64", but I've unofficially decided it is, by far, the most-often-played-on-the-Beatles-Channel-whilst-Steve-is-driving song (along with that ####### Fool on the Hill, natch), and I'm getting sick of it.  

My son listens to Beatles songs while he does homework or showers.  It's awesome when he discovers a new one he's not familiar with and comes and tells me about it and then we listen to it together.  
Moving "If I Fell" up and "Here, There and Everywhere" down would be in the cards if I did a re-ranking.  I've realized I admire HT&E more than love it.  

I'd have to find a way to move up "Lovely Rita," too.  I'm just ecstatic every time it comes on.  That bass line.   :wub:  

I think you and I are the only ones who dislike Blue Jay Way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moving "If I Fell" up and "Here, There and Everywhere" down would be in the cards if I did a re-ranking.  I've realized I admire HT&E more than love it.  

I'd have to find a way to move up "Lovely Rita," too.  I'm just ecstatic every time it comes on.  That bass line.   :wub:  

Looking forward to it!

I do have to keep a better notebook (on myself) though.  Since I'm about 3/4 of the way through re-reading this thread and re-listening to the songs, I noticed that I said the exact same thing about HT&E at the time it was ranked.  

I know it was said at the time, but I still am in awe of this thread and how it expanded my love for the Beatles.  And, the great thing is, since no one read any of your posts the first time, the thread can be revisited for new inspiration and endless enjoyment!

I do have to keep a better notebook (on myself) though.  Since I'm about 3/4 of the way through re-reading this thread and re-listening to the songs, I noticed that I said the exact same thing about HT&E at the time it was ranked.  

I know it was said at the time, but I still am in awe of this thread and how it expanded my love for the Beatles.  And, the great thing is, since no one read any of your posts the first time, the thread can be revisited for new inspiration and endless enjoyment!
Nobody read all those word the first time posted.  Can't imagine going back and reading them now. 😉

In case anyone was wondering, "Another Girl" has the most underrated harmonies (particularly on the chorus) of any Beatles song in their entire catalog.  

Finally listened to a bit of the new Abbey Road remaster.  I'm trying to save it for when Mr. krista and I can listen together, but we rarely are home at the same time.  Last night we had a window and listened to Side Two only.  The most noticeable aspect of the remaster to me is that the voices sound so damn rich.  There's a chilling depth to the vocals - literally chilling, as in when the first lines of "Because" played I had chills go all the way up and down my arms and legs.  I also noticed that backing vocals more distinctly on "Here Comes The Sun" and on a couple portions of the medley.  I'm enjoying this remaster and eager to listen to the rest, along with the extras that came along with it.  Beatles Channel seems to be playing an alternate version of "Come Together" a lot, which I assume is from this set.

In other vinyl news, just picked up the 2014 remastered All Things Must Pass today. 

In case anyone was wondering, "Another Girl" has the most underrated harmonies (particularly on the chorus) of any Beatles song in their entire catalog.  
Interesting.  Those chorus harmonies definitely are special and underrated.  I'd have to think about whether I agree it's the most underrated.  Hmmmm...

Interesting.  Those chorus harmonies definitely are special and underrated.  I'd have to think about whether I agree it's the most underrated.  Hmmmm...
It's just a song I think rarely gets talked about, hence, my underrated claim.  Maybe you need to rank Beatles harmonies.  

I guess this is as good a place as any to put this out there.

I listened to Lennon's Double Fantasy album recently for the first time in a veerrrrryy long time. I remember as a kid always making fun of the Yoko songs, but on this recent listening I actually found them to be quite good. Also now with hindsight I can see that they were very influential on a lot of music that came along after 1980. Maybe I'm just crazy but it's some brilliant stuff and much more daring and imaginative than the Lennon music on the record. 

:scared:

I made a John playlist on the occasion of his birthday last week, starting with influences, through his Beatles and solo careers and finishing with new artists' covers, and it came out quite awesome

JZilla said:
I made a John playlist on the occasion of his birthday last week, starting with influences, through his Beatles and solo careers and finishing with new artists' covers, and it came out quite awesome
Please post if you don't mind!  Would absolutely love to listen to this.

Dr. Octopus said:
I guess this is as good a place as any to put this out there.

I listened to Lennon's Double Fantasy album recently for the first time in a veerrrrryy long time. I remember as a kid always making fun of the Yoko songs, but on this recent listening I actually found them to be quite good. Also now with hindsight I can see that they were very influential on a lot of music that came along after 1980. Maybe I'm just crazy but it's some brilliant stuff and much more daring and imaginative than the Lennon music on the record. 

:scared:
Actually I liked her songs all along, but I haven't listened in a while.  Need to add this to my queue for a re-listen, after I get through the Abbey Road remaster and my newly arrived All Things Must Pass set.

It's just a song I think rarely gets talked about, hence, my underrated claim.  Maybe you need to rank Beatles harmonies.  
Off the top of my head, I think I'd have "Nowhere Man" or "This Boy" as my favorite harmonies, but if I gave it real thought there are probably other contenders.  Hmmmm.

krista4 said:
Enjoyed Side 3 followed by Side 2 of All Things Must pass today.  Jesus, I forgot what a great record this is.  I'd put Side 3 up against just about anything.
Further on this, here is the Side 3 listing if you don't want to google:

1. "Beware of Darkness"
  2. "Apple Scruffs"
  3. "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)"
  4. "Awaiting on You All" 
  5. "All Things Must Pass" 
The first track might just be my favorite George solo endeavor, although I don't hear it getting much talk or play generally, with #5 just a smidge behind it.  #4 is a crazy, wacky, wonderful track that I love despite not understanding it.  And then there's #2, which Mr. krista - he of all the cynicism and sarcasm - says is his favorite George solo song because it's "so cute."

Further on this, here is the Side 3 listing if you don't want to google:

1. "Beware of Darkness"
  2. "Apple Scruffs"
  3. "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)"
  4. "Awaiting on You All" 
  5. "All Things Must Pass" 
The first track might just be my favorite George solo endeavor, although I don't hear it getting much talk or play generally, with #5 just a smidge behind it.  #4 is a crazy, wacky, wonderful track that I love despite not understanding it.  And then there's #2, which Mr. krista - he of all the cynicism and sarcasm - says is his favorite George solo song because it's "so cute."
I've heard ATMP a thousand times but have listened to it maybe thrice. As someone who always hated bliss, i usually gave it short shrift. During my runaway years, i encountered dozens of alternative communities filled w Blissies and all this city boy could think of was "we've spent 200 years fighting our way out of the yolks of altar & throne........for THIS?! Just trade it all in for yet another myth?!" And, unfortunately, Harrison was the unofficial captain of the "oh....yeah.....cool......peace" movement, so i gave his music much less attention & respect than it deserved. My loss.

I check out that side one more time and i hear everything i want to hear from a side - invention, melody, humor, wisdom and, most important, the ability to hold my sway for a while. That's one thing artists seldom understand any longer, the responsibility of being better than other people being to make other people better. The power to make them offer to put themselves in the palm of your hand that they may be comforted, enlightened, inspired, relieved of life's awful burdens for a short time and given a view from above it all.

He warned us. George Harrison was a product of what he saw, not what he knew, as most great artists are in their approach to their work. And, relieved of the onus of great inner fire, he was able to say, quite early on in counterculture terms, "It's all bull####, don't you know. Find peace in your heart and you will see that it's so. I don't have to be complicated and neither do you. Here are some songs about complicated people and how silly is all they do."

Beware of Maya. Beware of illusions which become delusions. Open your heart before you open your mind and it will go oh so much more easily. And now, almost 50 years on, almost everything is Maya. My gen did indeed cast the bliss aside and what for? Identity & individuality, liberty & license, consumption & concupiscence. Now all we look for is peace, take pills for peace, be mindful for peace. ####ed out, tensed up, pissed off, shut down are we. Oh....yeah.....cool......peace. Sounds pretty good all of a sudden. All things must pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
krista4 said:
Enjoyed Side 3 followed by Side 2 of All Things Must pass today.  Jesus, I forgot what a great record this is.  I'd put Side 3 up against just about anything.
It's easily the best solo Beatles record.

I've heard ATMP a thousand times but have listened to it maybe thrice. As someone who always hated bliss, i always gave it short shrift. During my runaway years, i encountered dozens of alternative communities filled Blissies and all this city boy could think of was "we've spent 200 years fighting our way out of the yolks of altar & throne........for THIS?! Just trade it all in for yet another myth?!" And, unfortunately, Harrison was the unofficial captain of the "oh....yeah.....cool......peace" movement, so i gave his music short shrift. My loss.

I check out that side one more time and i hear everything i want to hear from a side - invention, melody, humor, wisdom and, most important, the ability to hold my sway for a while. That's one thing artists seldom understand any longer, the responsibility of being better than other people being to make other people better. The power to make them offer to put themselves in the palm of your hand that they may be comforted, enlightened, inspired, relieved of life's awful burdens for a short time and given a view from above it all.

He warned us. George Harrison was a product of what he saw, not what he knew, as most great artists are in their approach to their work. And, relieved of the onus of great inner fire, he was able to say, quite early on in counterculture terms, "It's all bull####, don't you know. Find peace in your heart and you will see that it's so. I don't have to be complicated and neither do you. Here are some songs about complicated people and how silly is all they do."

Beware of Maya. Beware of illusions which become delusions. Open your heart before you open your mind and it will go oh so much more easily. And now, almost 50 years on, almost everything is Maya. My gen did indeed cast the bliss aside and what for? Identity & individuality, liberty & license, consumption & concupiscence. Now all we look for is peace, take pills for peace, be mindful for peace. ####ed out, tensed up, pissed off, shut down are we. Oh....yeah.....cool......peace. Sounds pretty good all of a sudden. All things must pass.
Really great insight. 

On bold 1: I've heard you discuss this before, and it is making more and more sense to me everyday.  I remember reading your point on this 1st in a Jack White thread I scanned earlier in the week. 

On bold 2: Oh yeah. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread