Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

I made a John playlist on the occasion of his birthday last week, starting with influences, through his Beatles and solo careers and finishing with new artists' covers, and it came out quite awesome

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, JZilla said:

I made a John playlist on the occasion of his birthday last week, starting with influences, through his Beatles and solo careers and finishing with new artists' covers, and it came out quite awesome

Please post if you don't mind!  Would absolutely love to listen to this.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I guess this is as good a place as any to put this out there.

I listened to Lennon's Double Fantasy album recently for the first time in a veerrrrryy long time. I remember as a kid always making fun of the Yoko songs, but on this recent listening I actually found them to be quite good. Also now with hindsight I can see that they were very influential on a lot of music that came along after 1980. Maybe I'm just crazy but it's some brilliant stuff and much more daring and imaginative than the Lennon music on the record. 

:scared:

Actually I liked her songs all along, but I haven't listened in a while.  Need to add this to my queue for a re-listen, after I get through the Abbey Road remaster and my newly arrived All Things Must Pass set.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Speaking of Yoko, this needs to be here:

Chuck, John & Yoko on Mike

This is an all time great - fer sure.

Chuck's reaction in his eyes the first time Yoko starts caterwauling is priceless.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, krista4 said:

Please post if you don't mind!  Would absolutely love to listen to this.

Yes please!

On 10/15/2019 at 7:06 AM, Shaft41 said:

It's just a song I think rarely gets talked about, hence, my underrated claim.  Maybe you need to rank Beatles harmonies.  

Off the top of my head, I think I'd have "Nowhere Man" or "This Boy" as my favorite harmonies, but if I gave it real thought there are probably other contenders.  Hmmmm.

• Like 1

Enjoyed Side 3 followed by Side 2 of All Things Must pass today.  Jesus, I forgot what a great record this is.  I'd put Side 3 up against just about anything.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2019 at 6:38 PM, krista4 said:

Enjoyed Side 3 followed by Side 2 of All Things Must pass today.  Jesus, I forgot what a great record this is.  I'd put Side 3 up against just about anything.

Further on this, here is the Side 3 listing if you don't want to google:

1. "Beware of Darkness"
  2. "Apple Scruffs"
  3. "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)"
  4. "Awaiting on You All" 
  5. "All Things Must Pass" 

The first track might just be my favorite George solo endeavor, although I don't hear it getting much talk or play generally, with #5 just a smidge behind it.  #4 is a crazy, wacky, wonderful track that I love despite not understanding it.  And then there's #2, which Mr. krista - he of all the cynicism and sarcasm - says is his favorite George solo song because it's "so cute."

• Like 1

14 hours ago, krista4 said:

Further on this, here is the Side 3 listing if you don't want to google:

1. "Beware of Darkness"
  2. "Apple Scruffs"
  3. "Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)"
  4. "Awaiting on You All" 
  5. "All Things Must Pass" 

The first track might just be my favorite George solo endeavor, although I don't hear it getting much talk or play generally, with #5 just a smidge behind it.  #4 is a crazy, wacky, wonderful track that I love despite not understanding it.  And then there's #2, which Mr. krista - he of all the cynicism and sarcasm - says is his favorite George solo song because it's "so cute."

I've heard ATMP a thousand times but have listened to it maybe thrice. As someone who always hated bliss, i usually gave it short shrift. During my runaway years, i encountered dozens of alternative communities filled w Blissies and all this city boy could think of was "we've spent 200 years fighting our way out of the yolks of altar & throne........for THIS?! Just trade it all in for yet another myth?!" And, unfortunately, Harrison was the unofficial captain of the "oh....yeah.....cool......peace" movement, so i gave his music much less attention & respect than it deserved. My loss.

I check out that side one more time and i hear everything i want to hear from a side - invention, melody, humor, wisdom and, most important, the ability to hold my sway for a while. That's one thing artists seldom understand any longer, the responsibility of being better than other people being to make other people better. The power to make them offer to put themselves in the palm of your hand that they may be comforted, enlightened, inspired, relieved of life's awful burdens for a short time and given a view from above it all.

He warned us. George Harrison was a product of what he saw, not what he knew, as most great artists are in their approach to their work. And, relieved of the onus of great inner fire, he was able to say, quite early on in counterculture terms, "It's all bull####, don't you know. Find peace in your heart and you will see that it's so. I don't have to be complicated and neither do you. Here are some songs about complicated people and how silly is all they do."

Beware of Maya. Beware of illusions which become delusions. Open your heart before you open your mind and it will go oh so much more easily. And now, almost 50 years on, almost everything is Maya. My gen did indeed cast the bliss aside and what for? Identity & individuality, liberty & license, consumption & concupiscence. Now all we look for is peace, take pills for peace, be mindful for peace. ####ed out, tensed up, pissed off, shut down are we. Oh....yeah.....cool......peace. Sounds pretty good all of a sudden. All things must pass.

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:38 PM, krista4 said:

It's easily the best solo Beatles record.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

I've heard ATMP a thousand times but have listened to it maybe thrice. As someone who always hated bliss, i always gave it short shrift. During my runaway years, i encountered dozens of alternative communities filled Blissies and all this city boy could think of was "we've spent 200 years fighting our way out of the yolks of altar & throne........for THIS?! Just trade it all in for yet another myth?!" And, unfortunately, Harrison was the unofficial captain of the "oh....yeah.....cool......peace" movement, so i gave his music short shrift. My loss.

I check out that side one more time and i hear everything i want to hear from a side - invention, melody, humor, wisdom and, most important, the ability to hold my sway for a while. That's one thing artists seldom understand any longer, the responsibility of being better than other people being to make other people better. The power to make them offer to put themselves in the palm of your hand that they may be comforted, enlightened, inspired, relieved of life's awful burdens for a short time and given a view from above it all.

He warned us. George Harrison was a product of what he saw, not what he knew, as most great artists are in their approach to their work. And, relieved of the onus of great inner fire, he was able to say, quite early on in counterculture terms, "It's all bull####, don't you know. Find peace in your heart and you will see that it's so. I don't have to be complicated and neither do you. Here are some songs about complicated people and how silly is all they do."

Beware of Maya. Beware of illusions which become delusions. Open your heart before you open your mind and it will go oh so much more easily. And now, almost 50 years on, almost everything is Maya. My gen did indeed cast the bliss aside and what for? Identity & individuality, liberty & license, consumption & concupiscence. Now all we look for is peace, take pills for peace, be mindful for peace. ####ed out, tensed up, pissed off, shut down are we. Oh....yeah.....cool......peace. Sounds pretty good all of a sudden. All things must pass.

Really great insight. 

On bold 1: I've heard you discuss this before, and it is making more and more sense to me everyday.  I remember reading your point on this 1st in a Jack White thread I scanned earlier in the week. 

On bold 2: Oh yeah. ;)

34 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

It's easily the best solo Beatles record.

I agree but the Phil Spector "wall of sound" echo was way over done, especially on Wah-wah, Let It Down, Awaiting on You All and Art of Dying.  Also the Apple Jam LP is kinda boring and I have to admit that while I've listened to Sides 1-4 thousands of times, I have probably listened to sides 5-6 only a handful with "It's Johnny's Birthday" being my favorite because it is only 49 seconds long.

Edited by Godsbrother

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

I've heard ATMP a thousand times but have listened to it maybe thrice. As someone who always hated bliss, i usually gave it short shrift. During my runaway years, i encountered dozens of alternative communities filled w Blissies and all this city boy could think of was "we've spent 200 years fighting our way out of the yolks of altar & throne........for THIS?! Just trade it all in for yet another myth?!" And, unfortunately, Harrison was the unofficial captain of the "oh....yeah.....cool......peace" movement, so i gave his music much less attention & respect than it deserved. My loss.

This is one of your best posts (which is saying a lot).  I’m going to read it through again, considering each word, before I listen to Side 3 again.  Seriously, thank you.

10 minutes ago, krista4 said:

This is one of your best posts (which is saying a lot).  I’m going to read it through again, considering each word, before I listen to Side 3 again.  Seriously, thank you.

i wrote hard. for you -

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

RIP Robert Freeman, photographer who shot several Beatles album covers including the iconic picture used for With the Beatles/Meet the Beatles

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Eephus said:

RIP Robert Freeman, photographer who shot several Beatles album covers including the iconic picture used for With the Beatles/Meet the Beatles

Aw, going to throw Meet the Beatles on in his honor.

@krista4

Mrs. Murph and I tied the knot on Saturday and we just wanted to tell you that we got so many compliments on our Beatles musical theme. It really elevated our day from simply being amazing to being absolutely perfect. And it never would have happened without this thread. If you and Mr. Krista are ever in the Boston area the first bottle of wine is on us.

Details for those who are interested... We chose an instrumental arrangement of In My Life (Mrs. Murph's #1 ranked) for the processional. The bride walked down the aisle to an instrumental arrangement of Here Comes the Sun. And we chose Two of Us (Mr. Murph's #3 ranked) for the recessional. At the reception the wedding party was introduced to Got To Get You Into My Life and our first dance was Something. The band surprised us with a Hey Jude sing-a-long for a send-off. Despite both of us being more aligned with Mr. Krista's opinion of that song it was just perfect.

• Like 4
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, Murph said:

@krista4

Mrs. Murph and I tied the knot on Saturday and we just wanted to tell you that we got so many compliments on our Beatles musical theme. It really elevated our day from simply being amazing to being absolutely perfect. And it never would have happened without this thread. If you and Mr. Krista are ever in the Boston area the first bottle of wine is on us.

Details for those who are interested... We chose an instrumental arrangement of In My Life (Mrs. Murph's #1 ranked) for the processional. The bride walked down the aisle to an instrumental arrangement of Here Comes the Sun. And we chose Two of Us (Mr. Murph's #3 ranked) for the recessional. At the reception the wedding party was introduced to Got To Get You Into My Life and our first dance was Something. The band surprised us with a Hey Jude sing-a-long for a send-off. Despite both of us being more aligned with Mr. Krista's opinion of that song it was just perfect.

Oh wow, this is just incredible.  Congrats to the Murphs!  Pictures are always welcome.  I think the "Here Comes the Sun" part would have made me blubber like a baby.  :) 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Oh wow, this is just incredible.  Congrats to the Murphs!  Pictures are always welcome.  I think the "Here Comes the Sun" part would have made me blubber like a baby.  :) 

Two Of Us

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Murph said:

@krista4

Sounds like a wedding that would have been fun to attend for a change since the music would have been great.  Congrats.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murph said:

Congratulations & may your blessed union last as long as the Beatles.....................................................................................effect on music

• Love 1