What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (4 Viewers)

First of all, shout out to @Uruk-Hai for "nothing [Lakeside] ever did was as good as Al Green's worst fart." 😂 To be fair, nothing most people do is as good as Al Green's worst fart.

Secondly, I am obsessed with Dear Prudence. Not just the song, but the whole sound/vibe of it. It's easily in my top 10. For whatever reason, after listening to the entirety of the Beatles catalog on CD, I decided I wanted to open my 90-minute cassette with Slow Down/Dear Prudence/I'm Only Sleeping. (I don't remember the rest of the sequencing.) I also irrationally love Dave Mason's "Shouldn't Have Took More Than You Gave." I realized why when I saw him in 1992. He segued from that into Dear Prudence -- they're essentially the same song. 😂

Here Comes the Sun is one of my first memories of the Beatles. I have no idea why. In any case, it's one of George's best and it gives me warm fuzzies because it reminds me of my childhood. 

I don't see Ticket to Ride as a heavy metal song, but I can see it being a great metal cover. Imagine Bruce Dickinson in 1983 or so squealing "MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY baby don't care!!!!!!!!!"

ETA: Hardcore punk, same idea. I am obsessed with all things Bob Mould and had no idea Husker Du covered Ticket to Ride. 

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, shout out to @Uruk-Hai for "nothing [Lakeside] ever did was as good as Al Green's worst fart." 😂 To be fair, nothing most people do is as good as Al Green's worst fart.
:lol:

I said that? I have no recollection of the context, but I'm guessing it was in relation to "I Want To Hold Your Hand"?

To be honest, I love Lakeside. I'm probably the only person on this board who knows more than one song by them. Maybe Eephus or simey, but that's about it.

When I get around to my Top 840 Songs Of The 70s, Lakeside will be represented. 

But, yeah - Al Green's farts are better than most folks' voices.

When I was in the car on Thursday to run errands, I was listening to a station whose theme of the day was songs that reached No. 1 in the UK but not the US. One of the songs that came on was Paul's "Pipes of Peace." I don't think I'd heard it since it came out. The 12-year-old me thought it was wimpy and ignored it. Many years later, I can hear elements in it of the Paul magic, but it's still not my cup of tea. He clearly intended for this to be an Important Song, and in the US we just didn't care. 😂

I am against the crowd on length of Hey Jude. I like it just the way it is. The extended coda reminds me of gospel (the good kind that inspired R&B, not the fire-and-brimstone kind). 

I am shocked that they didn't edit it down for release to radio stations*, but the Beatles in 1968 were such a commercial force that they could get away with it. 

It ranks pretty high for me but probably not top 10. 

* - and then, in a perfect world, put the long version on the White Album in place of Revolution 9.

Rain blew my teenage mind as much as Tomorrow Never Knows did. It may be my #3. 

Re Todd Rundgren's disappointing cover, tell me about it. On back-to-back solo albums, we got:

Initiation (1975): Side 1 is an incredible melange of prog-infested but melodic rock. Awesome. Side 2 is a meandering, repetitive 30-minute synthesizer instrumental. Ugh.

Faithful (1976): Side 1 is literally note-for-note covers of songs from 1966, including Rain. They bring nothing to the table. Ugh. Side 2 is his best collection of pop songs since his masterpiece Something/Anything. Awesome.

So of course I made a tape with Side 1 of Initiation and Side 2 of Faithful. 

When I saw U2 in 1987, they DID do a cover of Help that was slow and emotional. This is from the year before but it's the same idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44fax1NXtfY
Hmmm, I didn't enjoy this much.  Not my cup of English tea.

When I was in the car on Thursday to run errands, I was listening to a station whose theme of the day was songs that reached No. 1 in the UK but not the US. One of the songs that came on was Paul's "Pipes of Peace." I don't think I'd heard it since it came out. The 12-year-old me thought it was wimpy and ignored it. Many years later, I can hear elements in it of the Paul magic, but it's still not my cup of tea. He clearly intended for this to be an Important Song, and in the US we just didn't care. 😂
I'll be discussing this song and Paul's other "important/message/statement" songs (as well as those from the other lads) in my new thread, so I don't want to say much here.  I'm going to have some sidebars that are not necessarily songs that made the countdown, so this isn't an indication one way or the other.  Let's say some statement songs are more successful than others.  Musically, as you mentioned there are some terrific elements in this one (and also some awful ones).  

I knew some other Beatles fanatics in high school and college (1986-93), but there were three songs I loved that I never heard anyone else talk about and that weren't played much on the radio: And Your Bird Can Sing, I've Got a Feeling and I'm Only Sleeping. It felt like those were my own little secret. So thank you. And Your Bird probably isn't top 5 for me but certainly is top 25. 

I knew some other Beatles fanatics in high school and college (1986-93), but there were three songs I loved that I never heard anyone else talk about and that weren't played much on the radio: And Your Bird Can Sing, I've Got a Feeling and I'm Only Sleeping. It felt like those were my own little secret. So thank you. And Your Bird probably isn't top 5 for me but certainly is top 25. 
:hifive:   And all three are favorites of mine.  

People were arguing She Loves You vs I Want to Hold Your Hand? Weird hill to die on.
That probably wasn't me. Love them both. They're both top five songs of mine, depending on the day. The crowd at The Kop (The Liverpool football standing room only admission area back in the '60s) singing it is like nothing else. It's a cappella and wonderful.

A BBC report from 1964, with the crowd singing. Wonderfully.

https://youtu.be/L7jcB_v5inc

As far as weird hills to die on, the weirdest might be murders for branded shoes, but that's me. 

I have no idea why I said that. Me and MoCS doing work up in here. 

That probably wasn't me. Love them both. They're both top five songs of mine, depending on the day. The crowd at The Kop (The Liverpool football standing room only admission area back in the '60s) singing it is like nothing else. It's a cappella and wonderful.

A BBC report from 1964, with the crowd singing. Wonderfully.

https://youtu.be/L7jcB_v5inc

As far as weird hills to die on, the weirdest might be murders for branded shoes, but that's me. 

I have no idea why I said that. Me and MoCS doing work up in here. 
For whatever reason I remember you said those were your two favorite Beatles songs years ago, but then you forgot to put She Loves You on your 25.  Do you remember that?  :lmao:   

WXPN? I stream that station more than any other. 

For whatever reason I remember you said those were your two favorite Beatles songs years ago, but then you forgot to put She Loves You on your 25.  Do you remember that?  :lmao:   
Yeah, that sounds exactly right, IIRC. I was stunned you remembered. That's a mighty fine memory. Anyway,

:lmao: at myself.

I didn’t really start to appreciate I’ve Just Seen a Face until a few weeks ago when I watched the Wings Rockshow concert film. Paul didn’t include a lot of Beatles songs in his sets back then. Here there were only 5, and this was one of them. Why does he like this one so much, I wondered. Then I went back and listened to it again, and it grew on me.

I didn’t really start to appreciate I’ve Just Seen a Face until a few weeks ago when I watched the Wings Rockshow concert film. Paul didn’t include a lot of Beatles songs in his sets back then. Here there were only 5, and this was one of them. Why does he like this one so much, I wondered. Then I went back and listened to it again, and it grew on me.
I saw him perform that on Rockshow last week. It was awesome. All the songs he did while sitting in that chair were great. I imagine back then he didn't do as many Beatles songs, because he was in Wings, and they had their own good songs to play, plus a few songs he did solo. 

I’m done with the proper rankings!

The medley is a big part of why Abbey Road is my #1 or #2 Beatles album depending on what day it is. The whole thing is sublime. Weird that you like Pam so much better than Mustard because I always considered those two to be as one distinct thing. The medley as a whole is in my top 10. If split into its parts, The End by itself would be very high on my list.

Across the Universe is one of those songs that just calms me down and zens me out. I never gave much thought to which of the many versions I prefer.

In My Life wasn’t my jam when I was younger because I perceived it to be for soccer moms and yearbook quotes. As I’ve gotten older I’ve come to appreciate it much more. People will still be talking about this song hundreds of years from now.

I am happy to discuss Big Star with you anytime!

Pip's Invitation said:
I’m done with the proper rankings!

The medley is a big part of why Abbey Road is my #1 or #2 Beatles album depending on what day it is. The whole thing is sublime. Weird that you like Pam so much better than Mustard because I always considered those two to be as one distinct thing. The medley as a whole is in my top 10. If split into its parts, The End by itself would be very high on my list.

Across the Universe is one of those songs that just calms me down and zens me out. I never gave much thought to which of the many versions I prefer.

In My Life wasn’t my jam when I was younger because I perceived it to be for soccer moms and yearbook quotes. As I’ve gotten older I’ve come to appreciate it much more. People will still be talking about this song hundreds of years from now.

I am happy to discuss Big Star with you anytime!
I don't care about In My Life's lyrics very much, so I've never associated it with quotes or whatever.  It's the music that fascinates me.  

Krista on 3/3/19: 

No way am I making another Beatles-related list of any sort!

😂😂😂😂😂
Oh. My. God.  :lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  

Is there going to be a composite cranking for the solo songs or is that too nerdy even for us? 😂
Good question.  I'm not sure people are familiar enough with the post-Beatles stuff to do it?  

I've been trying to think of "contests for charity" we could do for that one, too.  I think especially right now finding a way to send some $$ to people's favorite causes would be something I'd wish to do.  Open to ideas there.

Recently I came across a solo Beatle song that I had never heard before and I thought it was incredible. I'm sure I will have a lot to say about it in the countdown (or to rail against it not being in the countdown). 

Pip's Invitation said:
Letting Go. 
Venus and Mars track was not what I expected to see!  :popcorn:  We will discuss it in the countdown whether it's an official selection or one that I discuss as a non-selection in one of my sidebars.

Venus and Mars track was not what I expected to see!  :popcorn:  We will discuss it in the countdown whether it's an official selection or one that I discuss as a non-selection in one of my sidebars.
I will say that I think the live Wings Over America version is better than the studio version. 

I will say that I think the live Wings Over America version is better than the studio version. 
It doesn't matter, because I'm never getting this done.  I'm spending my evening re-inserting Paul songs I'd earlier nixed.  :bag:   And then taking out others.  And then putting them back in.  And then somehow I found more I'd missed the first time including an entire album.

Once I get the Paul stuff set, I do feel like the rest will be easier as there won't be as much, but sheesh.

It doesn't matter, because I'm never getting this done.  I'm spending my evening re-inserting Paul songs I'd earlier nixed.  :bag:   And then taking out others.  And then putting them back in.  And then somehow I found more I'd missed the first time including an entire album.

Once I get the Paul stuff set, I do feel like the rest will be easier as there won't be as much, but sheesh.
This is one of the reasons why I said, I'm ignoring most of Neil's stuff from the past 10 years. Surely you can cut Ringo off after a certain point? 

This is one of the reasons why I said, I'm ignoring most of Neil's stuff from the past 10 years. Surely you can cut Ringo off after a certain point? 
I think you will understand this as you said you're OCD, but NO, I cannot.  I must listen to all of the Ringo stuff.  I did run through four of his albums pretty quickly, including his two best, so I expect it not to take as long.

I think you will understand this as you said you're OCD, but NO, I cannot.  I must listen to all of the Ringo stuff.  I did run through four of his albums pretty quickly, including his two best, so I expect it not to take as long.
You are braver than I.

I am OCD about certain things and don't care in the slightest about others. Drives my wife crazy. Neil 1966-2007: OCD. Neil 2008-present: mostly verges between indifferent and don't care in the slightest -- though I have dutifully bought all the CDs. 

it's all about tiers ...

You are braver than I.

I am OCD about certain things and don't care in the slightest about others. Drives my wife crazy. Neil 1966-2007: OCD. Neil 2008-present: mostly verges between indifferent and don't care in the slightest -- though I have dutifully bought all the CDs. 
Put another way:

As a teenager in the mid-80s, when I would spend summers at my father and stepmother's place, my cassettes were arranged neatly on top of my dresser, in alphabetical order by artist and title. The rest of my room was a disaster. They would ask, "why can't you arrange the rest of your stuff like you do your tapes?"

Users who are viewing this thread