Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I've divided into additional tiers now...just added a few more songs and had to subdivide.

Subdivisions

On 7/18/2020 at 2:15 PM, Pip's Invitation said:

When I was in the car on Thursday to run errands, I was listening to a station whose theme of the day was songs that reached No. 1 in the UK but not the US. One of the songs that came on was Paul's "Pipes of Peace." I don't think I'd heard it since it came out. The 12-year-old me thought it was wimpy and ignored it. Many years later, I can hear elements in it of the Paul magic, but it's still not my cup of tea. He clearly intended for this to be an Important Song, and in the US we just didn't care. 😂

This was another one:

13.23 - The Specials - Ghost Town (1981)

• Like 2

This thing start yet?

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, shuke said:

This thing start yet?

Nope, more Ringo albums to review in hopes of finding...

A RINGO SHOWCASE!

• Laughing 3

13 minutes ago, shuke said:

This thing start yet?

It's like our founding. We find meaning in the preamble, too.

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, Pip's Invitation said:

This was another one:

13.23 - The Specials - Ghost Town

That one's a little endemic to British culture, though. Too many BNP guys mucking up shows at the clubs with quasi-fascist tactics wasn't really hitting the States as hard as a pressing social issue as it did the Brits, who were in the midst of Thatcherism and the part inklings of a real rise from the BNP.

Think of our L.A. hardcore bands and Reagan. Dead Kennedys, Reagan Youth, Suicidal's "I Shot Reagan..." The list goes on, we were just concerned with different things. Racist skinheads (not British skins) wouldn't come home to roost for a while in hardcore. That was more mid to late '80s. Late '80s, really. 

Edited by rockaction

OK, I finally listened to Temporary Secretary.

What strain of weed prompted this? 

• Laughing 1

26 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

OK, I finally listened to Temporary Secretary.

What strain of weed prompted this? 

All of them.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

All of them.

Of course.

Also, what strain of whatever prompted MoCS's posts on page 120?

• Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Of course.

Fixed.

• Love 1
  • Laughing 3

Just got to your review of the Paul concert.

Uh oh, we have major differences about Junior’s Farm. If I were told I’d be going to a Paul show where Junior’s Farm and Letting Go were in the first 4 songs, I’d be beaming regardless of what else was in store.

Never having seen Paul (or any Beatle) is a major gap in my concert history.

16 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Of course.

🤣

<checks medicine database>

According to my records, over the time span covering page 120, the strains responsible were a mix of:

I was still working on the proper dosages for my neuropathy and insomnia.

Unfortunately, the side effects had not yet been addressed. :bag:

At present, my dosages are about 60% of that time.

Still good medicine (& buzz), but less side effects. 😁

Also:

On 7/17/2020 at 10:47 PM, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Warning: many a my posts should be an auto-skip from back then. 

I was an odd child. 

;)

• Thinking 2

7 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Just got to your review of the Paul concert.

Uh oh, we have major differences about Junior’s Farm. If I were told I’d be going to a Paul show where Junior’s Farm and Letting Go were in the first 4 songs, I’d be beaming regardless of what else was in store.

Never having seen Paul (or any Beatle) is a major gap in my concert history.

I've seen Paul twice but not the others.  I hope I'll get a chance to see Ringo.

I don't recall what I said about Junior's Farm.  I like the song, but find the chorus a bit plodding and don't feel the same energy as in some of the other Wings rockers.

• Like 1

I've kind of over-Pauled myself, so tonight is a George night.  Doing some initial tiers - number TBD, @Binky The Doormat.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 9:38 PM, krista4 said:

Enjoyed Side 3 followed by Side 2 of All Things Must pass today.  Jesus, I forgot what a great record this is.  I'd put Side 3 up against just about anything.

Maybe this will make your studying tonight go faster. 

Just now, Pip's Invitation said:

Maybe this will make your studying tonight go faster. 

:lol:  I currently have 18 songs from this album on the countdown.

11 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I've kind of over-Pauled myself, so tonight is a George night.  Doing some initial tiers - number TBD, @Binky The Doormat.

Out of curiosity, and forgive me if you covered this already, because, frankly, I haven't been reading your posts, but are you listening to their albums in chronological order, or are you just randomly skipping around?  I can certainly see the case for either way.  

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

:lol:  I currently have 18 songs from this album on the countdown.

As well you should! 

Just now, Shaft41 said:

Out of curiosity, and forgive me if you covered this already, because, frankly, I haven't been reading your posts, but are you listening to their albums in chronological order, or are you just randomly skipping around?  I can certainly see the case for either way.  

For George, I did them chronologically except for covering the two Traveling Wilburys albums after the solo stuff.

For Paul, I started with Flowers in the Dirt because I wanted to.  Then I did all the Wings and solo stuff in chronological order, then circled back to others after that.

So far I've done Ringo albums entirely chronologically

In each case I try to remember to listen to the non-album singles and other dribs and drabs in the proper spot chronologically, but sometimes I come across something that didn't make it in the right spot.

I'd try harder to make it all chronological if I were to start over.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, krista4 said:

For George, I did them chronologically except for covering the two Traveling Wilburys albums after the solo stuff.

For Paul, I started with Flowers in the Dirt because I wanted to.  Then I did all the Wings and solo stuff in chronological order, then circled back to others after that.

So far I've done Ringo albums entirely chronologically

In each case I try to remember to listen to the non-album singles and other dribs and drabs in the proper spot chronologically, but sometimes I come across something that didn't make it in the right spot.

I'd try harder to make it all chronological if I were to start over.

Hmmm. That's a much different process from my "hey, these are my 100 favorite Neil songs today" approach. 

Of course, since I started posting the countdown, I have thought of many songs that I wish I'd had room for. I suppose if I'm feeling ambitious, after the countdown is over I could post a list of what 102-204 (since 204 is a thing around here) might be on the given day that I ranked them. I know what 102 is because I remember the last song I cut from the list. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

Hmmm. That's a much different process from my "hey, these are my 100 favorite Neil songs today" approach. 

Of course, since I started posting the countdown, I have thought of many songs that I wish I'd had room for. I suppose if I'm feeling ambitious, after the countdown is over I could post a list of what 102-204 (since 204 is a thing around here) might be on the given day that I ranked them. I know what 102 is because I remember the last song I cut from the list. 

Yeah, you mentioned before the differences in our processes.  Mine is lengthy and exhaustive and yet no better or more satisfying.  It's probably more frustrating than yours.  But here I am, again.

Just now, krista4 said:

Yeah, you mentioned before the differences in our processes.  Mine is lengthy and exhaustive and yet no better or more satisfying.  It's probably more frustrating than yours.  But here I am, again.

We all have to do what works best for us. Having a 9-year-old helps as far as being less exhaustive about other stuff. 😄

On 6/25/2020 at 11:38 PM, krista4 said:

The other item I wanted to mention is that, as most of you know, Mr. krista is now ex-Mr. krista

Oh no. I just got to this. I am being sincere -- this is up there with Neil and Pegi Young as far as feeling sad about breakups of people I don't know IRL but feel like I do. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pip's Invitation said:

God help me, I've started to do this. Once I get an idea in my head...

• Laughing 1

I’ve reached the end! What do I win?

Now for the Stones thread. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pip's Invitation said:

I’ve reached the end! What do I win?

Now for the Stones thread. 

:hifive:  I think you answered your own question.

• Laughing 2

Posted (edited)

Figured I'd give a little update here.

I've completed my final cuts for Paul (136 songs), George (70), and Ringo (29), but I'm still moving their individual order around before eventually melding them together into one master countdown.  Yes, it's very important for me to make sure I don't identify my 120th favorite Paul song as, say, my 123rd favorite.  :bag: 

I haven't started through John's albums yet, but I expect that to take less time since he sadly has fewer than anyone else.

Before anyone scoffs at Ringo having nearly half as many songs as George, I'll note that he also has twice as many albums as George did.  20!  20 Ringo studio albums I listened to so that you don't have to!

I'm hoping to start the countdown within two weeks.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

OH FOR ####S SAKE LET'S GO

• Laughing 2

29 minutes ago, krista4 said:

20 Ringo studio albums I listened to so that you don't have to!

I hate to throw a wrench in your esteem, but I think that's a false dichotomy there (or however one puts that). 

• Laughing 1

43 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I hate to throw a wrench in your esteem, but I think that's a false dichotomy there (or however one puts that). 

Dammit, I might have listened to the post-1980 Ringo albums* if she didn't do it for me! 

* - If I were really drunk

16 hours ago, shuke said:

OH FOR ####S SAKE LET'S GO

I appreciate your enthusiasm!

• Thanks 1

My almost favorite podcast "Coverville" did a full album cover of Help! to celebrate it's 55th birthday. Some good, some bad, some....different

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2020 at 5:05 PM, simsarge said:

My almost favorite podcast "Coverville" did a full album cover of Help! to celebrate it's 55th birthday. Some good, some bad, some....different

Interesting stuff!  Thanks for posting it.  Sorry I did not see this post until now.

I came into the thread to post that the new list is on the precipice, with the new thread here.

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Bump fo drunken Playlist project

Thanks!  Now I don't have to search.  :)