Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

9 hours ago, krista4 said:

When Ringo is my favorite, it’s because he’s a beyond talented guy who wanted to support the songs and the band instead of calling attention to his virtuosity. 

I always chuckle when the masses say that Ringo was a terrible drummer. It's one of those things that has captured public sentiment over time, perhaps because he wasn't a physical drummer like Moon or Bonham.

Of course, if you ask any professional musician - famous or not - and they will say how good Ringo was from the beginning. Not flashy, but his timing was incredible.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Of course, if you ask any professional musician - famous or not - and they will say how good Ringo was from the beginning. Not flashy, but his timing was incredible.

This.  All of this.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zamboni said:

I always chuckle when the masses say that Ringo was a terrible drummer. It's one of those things that has captured public sentiment over time, perhaps because he wasn't a physical drummer like Moon or Bonham.

I always figured that the public sentiment was based on his personality, which was deliberately clownish- he came off as the “least serious” Beatle. 

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I always figured that the public sentiment was based on his personality, which was deliberately clownish- he came off as the “least serious” Beatle. 

That might be part of it. Here's one good article from a few years ago that gives some of the backstory and defends Ringo.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zamboni said:

That might be part of it. Here's one good article from a few years ago that gives some of the backstory and defends Ringo.

Excellent article and spot on.    People love to belittle Ringo, from Pete Best fans to Quincy Jones but the worst is probably Bernard Purdie who made the outrageous claim that he played drums on more than 20 Beatles songs and that Ringo never played anything.    His claims have been debunked many times and the only thing he actually did overdub was the Tony Sheridan recordings years later after the Beatles became stars.   The original drummer on the Tony Sheridan record was Pete Best and not Ringo.

To my knowledge the only Beatles songs that had a drummer other than Ringo was: Love Me Do (LP version, the single was Ringo), PS I Love You both played by Andy White and Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, Martha My Dear and Ballad of John and Yoko - all played by Paul.   All other Beatles songs that feature drums are Ringo.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, krista4 said:

143.  Boys (Please Please Me, 1963)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Pure joy.  I'm not going to do a big write-up here.  Enjoy this live performance with me, and you'll see why I love this one.  Ringo's head shakes...the toss to George at ~1:00 and George's glee...and don't miss John's little kick at ~1:50 that drives the girls wild.

Original Shirelles version

Mr. krista:  "I like it, and I like the Shirelles, too. And Ringo is a great singer for a song like that.  It’s a jam."

I like it very much but it also reminds me of this classic: BUG MUSIC?!?!?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

10 minutes ago, munga30 said:

I like it very much but it also reminds me of this classic: BUG MUSIC?!?!?

Love it. Was going to post this clip when I posted the Way Outs upthread,.

Edited by zamboni

Some of us geezers around here may also remember the Beatles cartoons from the mid-to-late '60s. I remember watching reruns as a little kid.

Edited by zamboni
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Some of us geezers around here may also remember the Beatles cartoons from the mid '60s. I remember watching reruns as a little kid.

I had a tee-shirt of the cartoon Beatles I used to wear all of the time - I miss it now!!!!  I liked the cartoon but the Beatles didn't.    

Supposedly the Beatles were not fans of the cartoon due to it's poor animation and were concerned about the Yellow Submarine movie until they met with Al Brodax and was assured it would be of higher quality.     At that point the Beatles were anxious to get out of the three-film deal they had made with United Artists and that Yellow Submarine would fulfill their contract.  Just to be sure they added a short live-action segment at the end of the movie so UA couldn't claim that they didn't appear in the film.

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, krista4 said:

There's a snippet of an interview with Paul that I've heard on the Beatles channel a few times where he describes a conversation with one of the Rolling Stones - Mick or Keith, I can't remember - and whoever it was commented how lucky the Beatles had been to have four front men, whereas the Stones had only one.  That live clip above shows that, I think.  :) 

Hey man, Keith sang nearly as many songs as Ringo and George.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Hey man, Keith sang nearly as many songs as Ringo and George.

She's my little rock n' roll...

Love that song.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, krista4 said:

143.  Boys (Please Please Me, 1963)

Pure joy.  I'm not going to do a big write-up here.  Enjoy this live performance with me, and you'll see why I love this one.  Ringo's head shakes...the toss to George at ~1:00 and George's glee...and don't miss John's little kick at ~1:50 that drives the girls wild.

Original Shirelles version

Mr. krista:  "I like it, and I like the Shirelles, too. And Ringo is a great singer for a song like that.  It’s a jam."

Vocally one of Ringos very best. It really “fits” him

• Like 2

Most of what they did was so ground breaking, and easy for other musicians to consume and learn from, hence the blowing wide open of the rock & roll genre of course, right after they hit the scene. And people haven't even been shy about it, "Yeah I was ####### around, heard the Beatles in 1964 and suddenly writing songs seemed easier" is a pretty familiar refrain (I ran into a lot of this in the punk draft). And Ringo is part of that, his drumming paved the way, just insanely creative and versatile like the rest of the band. Stating the obvious I guess but just my 2p.. Ringo rules the roost 🥁 ✌️ ✌️

Edited by JZilla
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, zamboni said:

Some of us geezers around here may also remember the Beatles cartoons from the mid-to-late '60s. I remember watching reruns as a little kid.

HUGE fan.  Anything Beatles - since I had the lunchbox and all.  

• Like 1

Come on y'all, While Krista is dealing with downtime, what is your prediction for her #1? 

Before this thread I never gave the slightest thought to ranking the Beatles tunes, but here we are. I still think Something and She Said She Said are my favorite contenders.

While we're killing time, my all-time favorite Beatles tune is I've just Seen a Face.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Come on y'all, While Krista is dealing with downtime, what is your prediction for her #1? 

Before this thread I never gave the slightest thought to ranking the Beatles tunes, but here we are. I still think Something and She Said She Said are my favorite contenders.

While we're killing time, my all-time favorite Beatles tune is I've just Seen a Face.

I’ll go with Paperback Writer

My personal favorite Beatles song is I’ve Got A Feeling. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

A Day in the Life is an obvious guess but I’ll go with the only slightly less obvious Hey Jude. I bet the second portion, with Paul’s vocal riffing, really gets her.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pecorino said:

A Day in the Life is an obvious guess but I’ll go with the only slightly less obvious Hey Jude. I bet the second portion, with Paul’s vocal riffing, really gets her.

I'm leaning Krista leans on perfectly crafted songs, which makes A Day in the Life a strong contender for top 10, all things considered.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

15 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I’ll go with Paperback Writer

My personal favorite Beatles song is I’ve Got A Feeling. 

11 minutes ago, pecorino said:

:popcorn:

Sorry for being MIA today.  My already crappy travel across the country was made worse by hours-long delays.  Finally made it to Louisville and am beat.  I'm loving these guesses, though.  I'll mention that my first post (I think it was that one) said that I think A Day in the Life is the best Beatles song but it is not my #1; I would not expect anyone to have read that novel-length post, though.

tim, why is I've Got A Feeling your favorite tune?  It's an interesting choice.  Obviously I love the song since it hasn't been posted yet, but I am surprised by that as I rarely hear people talking about that one.  

pecorino, is A Day in the Life your favorite?

Edited by krista4

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

tim, why is I've Got A Feeling your favorite tune?  It's an interesting choice.  Obviously I love the song since it hasn't been posted yet, but I am surprised by that as I rarely hear people talking about that one.  

First off I love the guitar riff. Second, it’s one of those rare late Beatles tunes in which both Paul and John sing a portion. Finally, it reminds me of my late brother, who died of cancer about 4 years ago now. We had very different musical tastes but we both happened to love that song. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, timschochet said:

First off I love the guitar riff. Second, it’s one of those rare late Beatles tunes in which both Paul and John sing a portion. Finally, it reminds me of my late brother, who died of cancer about 4 years ago now. We had very different musical tastes but we both happened to love that song. 

Sorry for your loss, Tim.   I've got one brother and I could not imagine losing him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister CIA said:

My guess for the krista #1 would be "In My Life".

• Like 2

8 hours ago, krista4 said:

pecorino, is A Day in the Life your favorite?

I suppose it would be tops for me. My wheelhouse is 70s progressive music and it has two “movements” which is appealing. Really love the piano coming in at the beginning of the second section. Just a perfectly crafted song. I’ve grown to really enjoy “I Want You (She’s so Heavy)” but it’s simple when stacked up against A Day in the Life. I guess if you give me the whole Abbey Road suite as a unit that would be my #1, but I don’t personally reckon it that way since the songs are individually named. In short, I don’t know how you were able to do this ranking. I’d spin my wheels endlessly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pecorino said:

I suppose it would be tops for me. My wheelhouse is 70s progressive music and it has two “movements” which is appealing. Really love the piano coming in at the beginning of the second section. Just a perfectly crafted song. I’ve grown to really enjoy “I Want You (She’s so Heavy)” but it’s simple when stacked up against A Day in the Life. I guess if you give me the whole Abbey Road suite as a unit that would be my #1, but I don’t personally reckon it that way since the songs are individually named. In short, I don’t know how you were able to do this ranking. I’d spin my wheels endlessly.

I’m ranking the Abbey Road medley as a whole here, though within that ranking I’ll also rank the snippets individually.

• Like 1

I'm going to post one before spending the rest of the day cleaning out my Grandpa's place.  :(

141.  Hello, Goodbye (single, 1967)

Paul's song about duality, and he said, unsurprisingly, that it was meant to advocate for the positive side of duality.  Sunny, cheery Paul.  He even used "ebony ivory" as one of the dualities in an interview about the song.  Hmmmm...ebony and ivory...where have I heard that?  

My favorite parts of this song are the violas and the coda, which was nicknamed the "Maori Finale."  Overall the song all feels too slight for my taste, and despite Paul trying to make a substantive statement with the lyrics they fall flat for me.  I don't have much to say about this one - nice melody and an interesting ending, but not enough to get ranked higher.

Mr. krista:  "It’s a good song that seems totally trivial. I mean, so cheesy."

Suggested cover:  The Cure

Edited by krista4

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

142.  Hello, Goodbye (single, 1967)

An innocuous enough song. Can't say anything bad or overly good about it. Just hey-la, hey, hey-lo-ah.

• Like 1

Hello Goodbye has that trademark McCartney pop hook- so incredibly catchy. Has there ever been a popular song composer so adept at hooks as Paul McCartney? I suppose maybe Irving Berlin or Cole Porter. It’s hard to think of too many others. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I'm going to post one before spending the rest of the day cleaning out my Grandpa's place.  :(

Paul's song about duality, and he said, unsurprisingly, that it was meant to advocate for the positive side of duality.  Sunny, cheery Paul.  He even used "ebony ivory" as one of the dualities in an interview about the song.  Hmmmm...ebony and ivory...where have I heard that?  

My favorite parts of this song are the violas and the coda, which was nicknamed the "Maori Finale."  Overall the song all feels too slight for my taste, and despite Paul trying to make a substantive statement with the lyrics they fall flat for me.  I don't have much to say about this one - nice melody and an interesting ending, but not enough to get ranked higher.

You really need the hula girls for this one...

Ringo loving it. lol 

This song is at least in my top 50.

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, timschochet said:

It's my second favorite Beatles song (a large part because I do love the Paul and John vocal trade off) behind Here Comes the Sun.

And while you've mentioned your brother before in other music threads, as always sorry for your loss and fond memories are always a great reason to love a song.

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

I think this is a song that is ranked perfectly.  Catchy melody, nothing earth-shattering.  My appreciation for it certainly grew from playing Beatles Rock Band on the Wii with my kids.  This one was one of their most frequent picks to play.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mister CIA said:

I'll guess Taxman

Mine is In My Life, with Helter Skelter & Day in the Life filling my top 3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Can't listen to this anymore, but has nothing to do w Beatles. For this entire decade, i've been writing a movie musical about Alice grownup in the ultimate Wonderland, New York City. Successful businesswoman with inadequate lovelife has a wine&Ambien dream after a promising date with an unpromising man and her romantic history is played out through the Wonderland characters in a dream which, like Christmas Carol does for Scrooge, helps Alice with her romantic resolve.

One of the most important numbers is when she falls down the rabbit hole (elevator shaft in my update) and, as she waltzes thru the updrafts to her dreamdoom, she sings goodbye to her life. I was pretty new to songwriting then and was more concerned with the melody, but ScrambledEgged "Hello, Goodbye" to establish the cadence of the lyric and couldnt lose it. Turned out to be the best possible title/approach. I know its been 50 yrs since the original, but i cant stop arguing with myself about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krista4 said:

When I hear this song, from now til eternity, I'll always think of my son at age 4-5 asking to watch the video of Hello Goodbye over and over on my parents' computer (which was like a 9 year old desktop with dial up level speed).

This experience taught me a few things:

1.   My son is as OCD as me, because he didn't mind hearing the same song 10 times in a row (and still is that way)

2.  He's gifted at hearing harmony and even then would randomly sing atypical harmonies in many songs, especially Beatles and Beach Boys

3.   Never ask your 70 year old parents "what is your WiFi password?" because the odds are very high they have no clue what those words even mean.

4.   Even I'm capable of getting sick of a Beatles song eventually, because I really struggle to sit through that whole song today......after hearing it like 150 times over Xmas vacation in the winter of 2013-14.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mister CIA said:

My prediction for her #1 is Got To Get You Into My Life

My favorite is Here Comes the Sun followed by I've Got a Feeling and Things We Said Today

Edited by Dr. Octopus
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, krista4 said:

You started this one with that first sentence so that we couldn't make fun of you for putting this so low.  It's ok.  I get it.

Meanwhile, it would be at this point in the evening, having shared a find bourbon with Mr. Krista, that I would get up and refill my glass, not because I really needed another one at the moment, but because I needed to stop looking at him drinking my bourbon while saying something so cold and mean.  Does he kick puppies too?

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

On 1/24/2019 at 11:51 AM, Yankee23Fan said:

You started this one with that first sentence so that we couldn't make fun of you for putting this so low.  It's ok.  I get it.

Meanwhile, it would be at this point in the evening, having shared a find bourbon with Mr. Krista, that I would get up and refill my glass, not because I really needed another one at the moment, but because I needed to stop looking at him drinking my bourbon while saying something so cold and mean.  Does he kick puppies too?

Unfortunately, and perhaps this will get me even more credits to use in the future, but I’m not drinking bourbon. After spending all day going through my Grandpa’s stuff, we went to the attorney’s office to talk through process, and while in there someone busted my rental car window and stole my mom’s purse!

btw, the attorney’s office is across the street from the police station.

Edited by krista4

9 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Unfortunately, and perhaps this will get me even more credits to use in the future, but I’m not drinking bourbon. After spending all day going through my Grandpa’s stuff, we went to the attorney’s office to talk through process, and while in there someone busted my rental car window and stole my mom’s purse!

(The discussion about “why did you leave that in the car has been postponed indefinitely.)  

btw, the attorney’s office is across the street from the police station.

Well aren't I just a putz....

• Laughing 1

It turns out my mom had taken most stuff out of that bag, so the scumbags will be enjoying a car charger, a list of all the stuff she needed to do for the funeral/estate, and my Grandpa’s Bible. Maybe they’ll put that last one to use. ;) 

So not as bad as originally thought.  Dealing with the busted up rental is the bad part.

ETA:  Oops, also a list of all of her online usernames and passwords.  Now we’re drinking and resetting all her accounts.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really like Hello Goodbye and am surprised that it's ranked so far down the list.  It is classic Beatles.  But, it's surprises like this that keep this thread really interesting.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, krista4 said:

ETA:  Oops, also a list of all of her online usernames and passwords.  Now we’re drinking and resetting all her accounts.

No one will think to use "Fool on the Hill"  

:deadhorse:

• Laughing 1