What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (4 Viewers)

My attempt at guessing the top 10, in no particular order.

1. I've Just Seen a Face ... Tough call between this and Hide your Love Away from Help Album
  2. Nowhere Man ... One of those songs where lyrics matter
  3. I'm Looking Through You
  4. And Your Bird Can Sing
  5. She Said She Said
  6. Lovely Rita
  7. Blackbird
  8. Something ... 14 year-old me did not dig this song, but it is sooooo beautiful. It's perfect
  9. Across the Universe
  10. Penny Lane ... It's easy to dismiss this as ordinary pop, but I think we all have something inside crying to live in a Penny Lane world.  It speaks to me.

My take on the Beatles is that they have never played a big role in my life, but generally tunes where I turn up the volume when they come on.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have to wait until Monday? Stomps like a child.  
OK, because it's you, I'll post #204...

I don't think I mentioned up top (and am not going to bother reading all that) but, when I post a song that is a Beatles original, then I'm also going to post at least one cover of the song.  This is in homage to The Beatles performance of cover songs early in their careers, as well as their status as perhaps the most covered band in history.  

With apologies to @AAABatteries, my least favorite Beatles song is:

204.  Wild Honey Pie

Beatles version *

My ears!  My ears!!!  I can be a fan of dissonance, but from the first notes, this one just makes me angry.  It's jarring.  It makes me want to talk sternly toward kittens...or maybe worse.

It's interesting to me that this is a wholly Paul song.  If I didn't know better, I'd have sworn I heard John in his "angry voice" on it.  It's befuddling to me that this made the album, while good stuff George was writing at the time got left off.  For chrissakes I'd even have preferred another Ringo song.

I will say, in this song's defense, that is has two things going for it:  (1) it actually fits rather well in its location on the album itself, leading into Bungalow Bill in a logical way, and (2) it is blessedly less than a minute long.

Mr. krista reacts more favorably to this one:  "I like this so much better than Ob-La-Di. I like it.  I like that it’s weird, and that it seemed to travel.  It’s a good little intermezzo, a palate cleanser.  And it’s funny.  It’s a good way to get from one song to the next."

Suggested cover version:  The Pixies  I don't enjoy this enormously, but it makes a lot more sense to me in its approach than the original does.

*I note here that, in some instances, the version of a song will matter a lot to me, and I'll take care to post the one I want you to hear.  For some songs like this one, though, I don't give a #### and am going with whatever comes up first in a search.

@krista4, you have inspired me to make a top-25 list of post-breakup Beatles songs.  Not that I listened to everything any of them have done (it has to be at least double the Beatles' output).  I went with what I already knew and cut out stuff to get to 25.  John Lennon fans, I apologize in advance.

The songs:

John:  Instant Karma, Imagine, Give Peace a Chance, Happy X-mas, Whatever Gets You Through the Night, Starting Over, Watching the Wheels, Woman, #9 Dream

Paul:  Baby I'm Amazed, Band on the Run, Silly Love Songs, Jet, Live and Let Die, Listen to What the Man Says, With a Little Luck, Uncle Albert, Another Day, Coming Up, Let 'Em In

George:  My Sweet Lord, Give Me Love, What is Life

Ringo:  It Don't Come Easy, Photograph

In the interest of sidebar conversation between now and Monday, list you top 3 post-Beatles songs from the band members.

Will have three different tomorrow.

1. Helen Wheels
  2. Mother ... Never had a clue how powerful  a song  could be, until
  3. How Do You Sleep

@krista4, you have inspired me to make a top-25 list of post-breakup Beatles songs.  Not that I listened to everything any of them have done (it has to be at least double the Beatles' output).  I went with what I already knew and cut out stuff to get to 25.  John Lennon fans, I apologize in advance.

The songs:

John:  Instant Karma, Imagine, Give Peace a Chance, Happy X-mas, Whatever Gets You Through the Night, Starting Over, Watching the Wheels, Woman, #9 Dream

Paul:  Baby I'm Amazed, Band on the Run, Silly Love Songs, Jet, Live and Let Die, Listen to What the Man Says, With a Little Luck, Uncle Albert, Another Day, Coming Up, Let 'Em In

George:  My Sweet Lord, Give Me Love, What is Life

Lot's of good stuff.

I like these two as much as anything he did with the Beatles, with one possible exception.  These are great songs.

We’re at a bar now and drinking, so I’m not looking up the oeuvre of each guy, so I’m totally going pretty straight with these, but:

Ringo:  the two mentioned above.  Fantastic.

Paul:  despite my general antipathy toward love songs, I think Maybe I’m Amazed is as good a ballad as he’s ever written.  And Band on the Run is endlessly fascinating with its changes.

oh, our bar food just arrived.  More later.

despite my general antipathy toward love songs,
Whoa. The old fashioned love song/troubadours don't do it for you? Just an interesting insight, k4. What's the reason, if you're comfortable discussing? 

I'll hang out and just listen, if that means anything.

Love the 5 tier and sub-tier system.  Sounds familiar.
Is this your approach to your 1000 favorite songs (I think I got that right...)?

Whoa. The old fashioned love song/troubadours don't do it for you? Just an interesting insight, k4. What's the reason, if you're comfortable discussing? 

I'll hang out and just listen, if that means anything.
Maybe I'd like to say that love is too complex to be captured in a song.  Or maybe I just don't believe in the kind of love encapsulated in a song at this point in my life.

Maybe.

OK, because it's you, I'll post #204...
:wub:

You're the best.  I've really been looking forward to your list since you mentioned you were doing this.  I'm going to listen to every song along the way...

Like you, I wasn't into them much at all when they started....I was only 4 in 1964.

I really got into them in 2001, when we took a 7-week trip around the country visiting 15 MLB parks and all the tourist attractions in between.  My kids were 11,11 and 4 at the time. Drove everyone crazy as I rotated all the CD's the entire trip., although they did really like Yellow Submarine album.

krista4 said:
We’re at a bar now and drinking, so I’m not looking up the oeuvre of each guy, so I’m totally going pretty straight with these, but:
I don't think it's fair there's all these restrictions on men's behavior nowadays but a woman still feels free to look up the oeuvre of any guy she pleases....

AAABatteries said:
It’s possible that I thought Wild Honey Pie was just the eclectic intro of Bungalow Bill.  Yes, as a stand-alone song that’s pretty bad - not Michelle bad since it clocks in under a minute.
Disagree.  If you are both incredibly drunk and dating a woman named Michelle, and at karaoke night, there is at least an outside chance that the song Michelle might get you into a woman’s bed. 

Nothing good will ever happen to you as a result of Wild Honey Pie. 

Nothing. 

krista4 said:
Maybe I'd like to say that love is too complex to be captured in a song.  Or maybe I just don't believe in the kind of love encapsulated in a song at this point in my life.
I get that for sure.

OTOH, what I love about McCartney is perfectly encapsulated in Silly Love Songs.  He hears your criticism, thinks about it a bit, shakes his head, "Nah"... and "here I go again".  He leans into it and embraces it.

Watch the vid for Silly Love Songs where he shows each member of the band during the repeated "I Love You"s.  It's sincere and open and vulnerable.  He knows it's simple and schlocky and still wants to crow about how lucky he is.  I love that about him.

I get that for sure.

OTOH, what I love about McCartney is perfectly encapsulated in Silly Love Songs.  He hears your criticism, thinks about it a bit, shakes his head, "Nah"... and "here I go again".  He leans into it and embraces it.

Watch the vid for Silly Love Songs where he shows each member of the band during the repeated "I Love You"s.  It's sincere and open and vulnerable.  He knows it's simple and schlocky and still wants to crow about how lucky he is.  I love that about him.
I don't disagree with anything you said, but also remember that Paul McCartney could sell ice to Eskimos at that point in his career. Don't get me wrong - I think he loves writing those kinds of songs (Stevie Wonder's another like that), but he also knew they'd sell a bazillion times more than "How Do You Sleep". 

I guess what I'm saying is that his business acumen and his comfort level lined up perfectly then.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but also remember that Paul McCartney could sell ice to Eskimos at that point in his career. Don't get me wrong - I think he loves writing those kinds of songs (Stevie Wonder's another like that), but he also knew they'd sell a bazillion times more than "How Do You Sleep". 

I guess what I'm saying is that his business acumen and his comfort level lined up perfectly then.
For sure... he was ruthless as far as the $$ goes.

But I think you're hard pressed to look over the entirety of his career and think those songs aren't fundamentally "him".

Users who are viewing this thread