Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

I take an internet hiatus and now we are guessing 25 top songs? Is that right?

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Sending our own top-25s to Getzalf, who's compiling them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Send your top 25 to Getzlaf via PM.  Post your guess of my top 10 here.

• Like 1

Just now, Ilov80s said:

No, we're each picking our top 25 favorites. Getz is compiling them and assigning points to each spot in your rankings. He'll start unveiling everyone's picks, starting when krista takes her #25. At the end, he'll tally up the points to get a "consensus" Beatle song ranking among us. It's independent of what k4 is doing (though it'll include her picks too).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I have this in my current working group of around 55-60 songs ...still trying to come up with a top 40 ...then 30.  

BUT I wouldn't see this song going any lower than 60 for me. 

My Deep Analysis:  Kind of reminds of "Tell Me Why".  I don't know why, some parts just kind of reminds of that song.  🧐

I love The Night Before and Help more than most.   This is a top 50 song for me.  Love the vocals.  Love the choppy guitar solo.   Krista!  

• Like 3

@Getzlaf15, when we get to it I'd love to know which person has the most top 25 in common with me, so that I can crown him or her my Favorite iPerson.

• Like 1

Thanks, I’ll have to send that in. Are we ranking them?

Just now, Ilov80s said:

Thanks, I’ll have to send that in. Are we ranking them?

Yes. Your #25 gets 1 pt, #24 gets 2, etc.....

It's about time Racoon and Michelle are listed.  Actually, they too are days late to the list.   There is simply no reason to listen to either song unless your name is Rocky, Raccon, or Michelle.   

The only good thing about thinking about the song Michelle is that made me listen to My Michelle by GnR.   Now that is a good song   

Carry on.   

• Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Yes. Your #25 gets 1 pt, #24 gets 2, etc.....

Hmmm sounds tough 

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Hmmm sounds tough 

Go read Binky's posts the last couple of pages. I'm concerned for his well-being

• Like 5
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Go read Binky's posts the last couple of pages. I'm concerned for his well-being

I’m going to do the opposite and just give it a real rough effort.

I would not recommend to anyone that they take a couple of days off from reading this thread and then try to catch up in a short time.  I feel violated and totally spent.  

A few thoughts that no one cares about:  

Seeing "Glass Onion" and "Lady Madonna" this low makes me as sad as Krista when I say that "Don't Pass Me By" would probably be in by bottom 20, easy.  And I'm not a Ringo hater, by any stretch.  

I've never considered that Paul might be my favorite, but I seem to disagree with more of where Paul songs are ranked on here than any others, so maybe he is.  Although "Rocky Raccoon" is too high.  Kind of like Paul when he wrote it.  

I thought I was relatively intelligent, but 73% of Mr. Krista song descriptions contain a word or phrase I've never heard before and would have to look up, if I cared about anthing other than the Beatles right now. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

No - separate compilation top 25 rankings from the peanut gallery.

• Like 1

Aren't opportunities to feel violated & totally spent pretty much the point of life?

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Who doesn't have Strawberry Fields in their top 25?  What kind of sociopaths are on this forum?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Strawberries aren't even in my top 25 berries!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Who doesn't have Strawberry Fields in their top 25?  What kind of sociopaths are on this forum?

Made my list 

Just now, Officer Pete Malloy said:

Top 25 Berries:  Whatcha got?

:wheelhouse:

Any Boysenberryguys?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

I did not but do love the song of course. It's not easy whittling their catalog down to 25 - I'm sure there are a few other "glaring omissions" on everyone's list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Valid point; could be.  I'd say with Mr. krista it is pretty likely.  He told me once a few years ago that Paul was his least favorite Beatle, and I didn't talk to him for days.  Not that I could name a least favorite Beatle, but I needed to protect Paul's integrity.  I think Mr. krista's appreciation of Paul has grown immensely through this endeavor.  I've even caught him checking out Paul's solo work without my prompting.  He comes from this punk-rock background where Paul love doesn't occur naturally.

As for me, I think I am very critical of his vaudevillian stuff in particular, but as you say that's a matter of personal taste rather than it being objectively bad.  I didn't like when John did the circus-y stuff like Mr. Kite either, though.

I knew that your preferences and mine would diverge, because you early on expressed a strong preference for Paul's work, while I lean John.  

Paul has done a heck of a lot more punk-rock stuff than the other Beatles and it is not even close.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Paul has done a heck of a lot more punk-rock stuff than the other Beatles and it is not even close.

Not as part of the Beatles, perhaps, and of course he's had many more years than John did.  Though even if true, that's not contradictory to my statement.  

Edited by krista4

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Not as part of the Beatles, perhaps, and of course he's had many more years than John did.  Though even if true, that's not contradictory to my statement.  

I don't think the Beatles did punk.  If they did "Helter Skelter" probably comes the closest.  

• Like 1

So that's A Day in the Life (my not-so-bold prediction).  I wonder, if rockaction sent in a list, if that one would come off, too.

I don't know how the game works, but I don't think so. I honestly like that song. A lot. I'm not a total Hamburg guy. I'm more of a Beatles For Sale and Help! guy.  

I'd like to do a list. Seems like the compilation of the points takes time, and one ought to do it earnestly, but I'll have a go at it.  

Edited by rockaction

18 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I don't think the Beatles did punk.  

It seems you got my point now.

As for me, I think I am very critical of his vaudevillian stuff in particular, but as you say that's a matter of personal taste rather than it being objectively bad.  I didn't like when John did the circus-y stuff like Mr. Kite either, though.

I knew that your preferences and mine would diverge, because you early on expressed a strong preference for Paul's work, while I lean John.  

I like both John and Paul's retro style stuff, but then again I also like Queen's sometimes similar work on albums like Night at the Opera.

• Like 2

Okay, I just went through the albums' songs titles. 

Impossible.  

LOLZ. What a great band.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Okay, I just went through the albums' songs titles. 

Impossible.  

LOLZ. What a great band.  

You can do it!   George and John are looking on approvingly from heaven!

35 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

I did not but do love the song of course. It's not easy whittling their catalog down to 25 - I'm sure there are a few other "glaring omissions" on everyone's list.

We'll see what Getz says when mine is incorporated, but I left one off of mine that will probably be a top 5 most-listed. It made the top 30 before the final cut.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

My guess for Krista's top 10 not in any particular order

I've Just Seen a Face

Strawberry Fields

Here Comes the Sun

Norwegian Wood

In My Life

She Said, She Said

And Your Bird Can Sing

A Day in the Life

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Let it Be

• Like 1

Peter Jackson Making New Documentary of Beatles' 'Let It Be'

https://www.voanews.com/a/peter-jackson-making-new-documentary-of-beatles-let-it-be-/4766415.html

Peter Jackson announced Wednesday that he is making a new film out of some 55 hours of footage — shot in January 1969 — that has never been seen by the public.

:popcorn:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom Hagen said:

My guess for Krista's top 10 not in any particular order

I've Just Seen a Face

Strawberry Fields

Here Comes the Sun

Norwegian Wood

In My Life

She Said, She Said

And Your Bird Can Sing

A Day in the Life

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Let it Be

Got it - added!

In case I wasn't clear before, you're right that these guesses, unlike Getzlaf's project, needn't be in order.

@Godsbrother, I have silly question that I know you'll know the right answer to:  is it "Sgt. Pepper's" (period) or "Sgt Pepper's" (no period)?  I see it both ways.  I've been using the period but don't want to keep posting incorrectly.

This might be related to my next post.  :popcorn: 

Edited by krista4

110.  Good Morning Good Morning (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I had copied some notes into a file and was reading them thinking, "Wow, I agree with everything this person said," before realizing that it was my own notes from tim's thread.  :lmao:  At least, unlike Mr. krista, I did agree with my own prior opinions.

Here's what I said then:  "This song is bonkers and I love it.  No idea how Ringo could perform this song.  He's off the chain on this one."  This sums up most of what I love about this song. Poor Ringo.  The changes in time signatures are insane.  I can't imagine why anyone would write all that or want to play it, but somehow it works.  I also love Paul's guitar solo, the distorted horns, that big cymbal smash, and all the wacky animal sounds sprinkled in, from hens to horses to cats and dogs and unicorns and jackalopes and Yetis and what have you.  It's a seemingly "fun" song that's really about boredom, written when John was stuck in the suburbs watching telly (and inspired by a cereal ad) and an instance where I particularly enjoy John's biting sarcasm; maybe I can relate to the cacophony that can be created by life's daily nuisances.

Mr. krista:  "I really liked the guitar solo and the middle part that’s all triplets on the snare.  But it’s crazy.  I like all the roosters, and the horses whinnying seem appropriate.  I like that rather than change the lyrics to fit a time signature human beings could play...naaaahhhh."

Suggested cover:  Maybe it's not a surprise given the nature of the song, but I believe I've set a new record for the song with the most horrible covers.  I'll have to post another from Cheap Trick as the only passable attempt.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

By the way, I would have easily lost a bet about whether Scritti Politti would get a shoutout in this thread.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Grace Under Pressure said:

The Beatles were easily the coolest. Proof: Hey Jude, plus people

Apologies if it's already been posted.

I'm just watching now but had to pause it to say Paul is absolutely dreamy here.  :heart: 

ETA:  Holy hell, that little noise he makes ~3:53-3:54.  I might need a moment.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, Shaft41 said:

By the way, I would have easily lost a bet about whether Scritti Politti would get a shoutout in this thread.  

Would you have taken them as more likely than a Luc Longley reference, though?

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

Would you have taken them as more likely than a Luc Longley reference, though?

Luc Longley at least has a tangential relationship to the greatest in his profession, which is equivalent to the Beatles.  Luc Longley is like Billy Preston, in that regard, only with less of a passing resemblance to Don Baylor.  

However, when you do your 80's song ranking thread, if "Perfect Way" isn't pretty high up, well, that's a problem.  

• Thinking 1

14 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Suggested cover:  Maybe it's not a surprise given the nature of the song, but I believe I've set a new record for the song with the most horrible covers.  I'll have to post another from Cheap Trick* as the only passable attempt.

Not to go against the Real Fab Four* but this cover isn't the worst thing in the world.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzsc785E27g Terrible movie but some of the music wasn't dreadful. 

49 minutes ago, krista4 said:

@Godsbrother, I have silly question that I know you'll know the right answer to:  is it "Sgt. Pepper's" (period) or "Sgt Pepper's" (no period)?  I see it both ways.  I've been using the period but don't want to keep posting incorrectly.

This might be related to my next post.  :popcorn: 

https://www.amazon.com/Sgt-Peppers-Lonely-Hearts-Deluxe/dp/B06X6MJGB7

3 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Interestingly enough it's hard to tell on the actual album cover whether the period is actually there . Must have been something Paul took to his grave.

That’s why I was having trouble deciding.  I can’t tell if it’s there.  Maybe I should take this to the “I’m old and falling apart” thread.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, krista4 said:

110.  Good Morning Good Morning (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

For some reason I feel like Savoy Truffle is this song’s spiritual kin. There’s something sinister sounding about the verses in both of these songs to me. I dig both 

Edited by Nigel Tufnel
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

That’s why I was having trouble deciding.  I can’t tell if it’s there.  Maybe I should take this to the “I’m old and falling apart” thread.

On my tote bag, there is a symbol underneath the GT.