What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (3 Viewers)

After 12 lists have been entered, we have a new leader in points.

And only two songs have been on 11 of the 12 lists.   They are not what you think they are  :lmao:

dumb it down for me, poindexter!
JFC, dude.  You choose 25 Beatles songs based on a ranking system of 1-150.  Then you send it to Grafzepplin.  He will take your 25 and add it to his 25.  Then he will divide it by two to come up with an average.  Next he will compare your/his average with the aggregate averages of every other poster that submitted songs.  Eventually Krista and Gräfenberg will determine the winner through blind draw. 

13 Top 25 Lists have been complied.

The song that just took over first in points just dropped to third in points.

There is only ONE song that is on 12 of the 13 lists.

The 13th entry added SEVEN new songs that no one had chosen before.

94 different songs have been listed once on a Top 25 list.

There is one song that has only been listed twice and it has a #1 and a #2 for 49 points.
Hmmm. I just edited my list, the fbg thing said you hadn’t read it yet. If you already entered my songs, ignore the edit. Also I wonder if that’s the song I just put it at 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. I just edited my list, the fbg thing said you hadn’t read it yet. If you already entered my songs, ignore the edit. Also I wonder if that’s the song I just put it at 2.
I get emails if someone PMs me.   I use those to compile the list.  Much easier as I have them go into a folder.  

Let's just get this over with.

113.  Rocky Raccoon (White Album, 1968)

Beatles version:  Spotify YouTube

I like that Paul tried to do a cowboy song.  It's charming.  Love the harmonica.  Beautiful vocal.  Sweet little encapsulated story, even though I find some of the lyrics grating and forced:  Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy.  But I dock this song a full 50 slots solely because I HATE the fake drawl at the beginning.  Somewhere earlier in the thread @Uruk-Hai pointed out that Paul and John needed to edit themselves better sometimes.  I think Paul just needed a best friend to tell him not to do this ####, and during the White Album years John was not that best friend, nor was anyone else.  I can't fully express how much I love/hate this song, with probably more mixed feelings about it than any other in their repertoire.    

Mr. krista does not have mixed feelings:  "I hate that he can’t resist to throw in a jaunty piano part.  The fake cowboy drawl is ludicrous.  It’s as bad as an American singing in an affected British accent.  I hate that it seems C/W/blues/folk – these are American forms, and it seems like he’s making fun of it.  He’s not, but it seems smug.  It really really bothers me.  You don’t fully understand this #### so leave it the #### alone.  It’s like Willie Nelson trying to play the Sex Pistols – Willie, leave it alone.  It’s not your jam.  Or Miles Davis playing…well, Miles Davis probably could."

Suggested covers:  Eddie Vedder & Jack Johnson  This version, lacking a fake cowboy accent, would be ranked much, much higher on my list.  Lena Horne (thanks to @Eephus for this one).  FFA's own Nipsey.
Counterpoint

I get emails if someone PMs me.   I use those to compile the list.  Much easier as I have them go into a folder.  
All good, just saw mine hadn’t been read so edited it a bit once I got to a place where I could hear the songs again but no need to adjust. My original rankings err solid and not too different anyway.

Here's 10 songs:

A Day In The Life

Yesterday

And Your Bird Can Sing

Blackbird

Here Comes The Sun

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

Norweigian Wood

As My Guitar Gently Weeps

Hey Jude

Across the Universe

I'll play.  

Eleanor Rigby

A Day In The Life (not #1, but top ten?)

In My Life

Back in The U.S.S.R

Norwegian Wood

Rain 

She Loves You 

Any Time At All

You Can’t Do That

I Want To Hold Your Hand

Here's 10 songs:

A Day In The Life

Yesterday

And Your Bird Can Sing

Blackbird

Here Comes The Sun

Norweigian Wood

As My Guitar Gently Weeps

Hey Jude

Across the Universe
:counting:  Indeed those are ten.  You're in!

I'll play.  

Eleanor Rigby

A Day In The Life (not #1, but top ten?)

In My Life

Back in The U.S.S.R

Norwegian Wood

Rain 

She Loves You 

Any Time At All

You Can’t Do That

I Want To Hold Your Hand
Thanks!

I’m going to start the actual countdown Monday.  I’m just posting this now because Mr. krista claims I’m never going to do this.  Speaking of Mr. krista, these are his nine Top 10 songs, in no particular order:

Taxman

Hey Bulldog

Helter Skelter

I’m So Tired

And Your Bird Can Sing

Rain

Across the Universe

I’ve Just Seen a Face

Happiness is a Warm Gun

A hint to my top 10:  he and I have at least one of these in common.

Again I can’t emphasize strongly enough that this will just be my own preferences.  My top ten doesn’t look like yours would.  If I were to try to describe what I like, I’d say…  I’m not sappy.  I’m not a fan of nostalgia.  Like @Gr00vussaid about himself in his thread, I’ve found that I like songs based on feel more than anything.  Unless lyrics are particularly great (see, e.g., Leonard Cohen or Townes Van Zandt) or particularly awful (see, e.g., this), they don’t move the needle that much for me.  When I do connect with lyrics, it’s not because I’m looking into them deeply to give me some inspiration on how live my life, but because they do a compelling job of evoking how I’ve already lived.

My top 10 consists of one song from Help!, two songs from Rubber Soul, two songs from Revolver, one song from Sgt. Pepper’s, one song from the White Album, one song from Abbey Road, one song from Let It Be, and one single.  Feel free to wager.
I'm bumping this post and ANNOUNCE-ing a second donation to be made.  Another $100 will go to the charity of choice of whoever can name the most songs in my top 10.  A few rules/thoughts:

1.  If there is a tie, I will then go to a tiebreaker based on who named my #1, or if no one did, who named #2, etc. until we break the tie.  I will donate $100 to the winner's charity and another $50 to anyone else's who lost only by virtue of the tiebreaker.  (By the way, I will also donate $100 to each person who wins the "name my #1" contest; no tiebreakers there.)

2.  If the same person wins this who won the "#1 song" contest, I'll donate $200 to that person's charity plus also donate $100 to the charity of the runner-up in this contest.

3.  Read the post above carefully, especially regarding which albums my top 10 come from.  Check post #2 for a listing of which albums I'm attributing each song to or if they're listed in the singles/other category.

4.  I have lists already from @simey, @Mister CIA, and @timschochet.  Any of you can redo your lists right now if you wish, and tim you definitely will wish to since I already spilled the beans on Octopus's Garden.  If I missed anyone else's, let me know.

I will also include a BoC for the winners of both contests, if they are comfortable sharing their home/personal info.
Bumping for the new guy.

gave my list to Getz for the top 25.  Here are my 26-70.  It could and has changed every time I have looked at it ...so if you mixed just about any of these and put them anywhere, I likely wouldn't argue.  

26  I'm Only Sleeping

27  Long, Long, Long

28  Across the Universe

29  Dear Prudence

30  Taxman

31  Paperback Writer

32  Here, There Everywhere

33  Get Back

34  Got to Get You Into My Life

35  Ticket to Ride

36  I'm Looking Through You

37  She's A Woman

38  Back In the USSR

39  Rain

40  You Won't See Me

41  Lady Madonna

42  Michelle

43  Long and Winding Road

44  Help!

45  Fixing a Hole

46  Getting Better

47  I Want to Tell You

48  I Should Have Known Better

49  I Want You (She's So Heavy)

50  Julia

51  You Can't Do That

52  Sexy Sadie

53  I'm A Loser

54  Eight Days A Week

55  I'll Follow the Sun

56  If I Fell 

57  Run For Your Life

58  Happy Just To Dance With You

59  Mother Nature's Son

60  Nowhere Man

61  Tell Me Why

62  Two of Us

63  Hello, Goodbye

64  Savoy Truffle

65  Hard Days Night

66  Please Please Me

67  Drive My Car

68  I've Just Seen A Face

69  The Fool on the Hill

70  I Will

109.  It's Only Love (Help!, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

At this point I can only find identify minor quibbles to put something in the bottom half.  For this one, it's the lyrics - specifically the lyrics on the verses.  They're just sorta trite:

I get high when I see you go by, (my oh my)
When you sigh my inside just flies, (butterflies)
Why am I so shy when I'm beside you

Is it right that you and I should fight, (every night)
Just the sight of you makes nighttime bright, (very bright)
Haven't I the right to make it up girl

John called his lyrics "abysmal," but I wouldn't go that far.  One other quibble, and when I say minor I mean really minor is that I don't like the way John rolls the "r" on "bright."  I'm certain he did it tongue-in-cheek, but that doesn't seem appropriate on an otherwise earnest-sounding vocal.  

That being said, I love everything else in this gorgeous song, especially John's tender/soulful vocal, the chord progressions, and the tremolo on George's guitar part.

Mr. krista:  "Very guitar oriented.  Everybody played something cool on it.  I like it very much.  Love the different guitars and the chorus.  I like the sentiment – it's just love, why such a big deal.  I’ve fallen in love every fourth song for the last eight records."

Suggested covers:  Bryan Ferry  Gary U.S. Bonds

:excited:   I just realized I had miscounted and have only six more songs in the bottom half rather than the seven I thought I still had to do.  Congratulations and welcome to the top half, unnamed song!

But back to the bad news.

108.  Fixing A Hole (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Credit to @Godsbrother for this being as high as it is.  I'd always thought this was one of my least favorites, bottom 30-40, but then I noticed that he hyped it in a thread or two as underrated, so I thought I should give it a shot.  Now when I play it, I can't get it out of my head, in a good way.  Maybe as more time goes by it will climb even higher.

See what I did there?  "Higher" in a post on a song about pot?

Oh yeah, back to the song.  It's about pot.  It's about Paul wanting to be free to experiment, to let his mind wander and not be constrained.  Maybe to include stuff other than pot, but definitely including pot.  And I think that's one of the most admirable qualities about Paul:  for all the criticism I've given to many of the vaudeville songs, his experimentation into different types of music well exceeded the others', both during the time of the Beatles and thereafter.  He can simply do it all, and even if we don't appreciate the results of his forays into certain genres, I think all his attempts are well-meaning and based on a genuine love for and interest in them.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have a mind that brilliant.

Also, he sure did look dreamy in that "Hey Jude" video.

Oh yeah (again), back to the song (again).  I might mention chord progressions too often, but these are fascinating and move through minor/major in a way that complements the lyrics beautifully.  The lilt of the vocal moving into a more urgent sound along with the guitar, culminating in the blast of "why they don't get in my door," is sublime, as is the guitar work itself.  The song shows off Paul's incredible vocal range not just in terms of the notes but the emotion.  The harpsichord forming part of the rhythm section is a brilliant touch.

Fun story about the session for this song:  a guy showed up at Paul's front door and when Paul asked who he was, he said he was Jesus.  Wait, I'll let Paul tell it.  "This guy said, 'I'm Jesus Christ.' I said, 'Oop,' slightly shocked. I said, 'Well, you'd better come in then.' I thought, 'Well, it probably isn't. But if he is, I'm not going to be the one to turn him away.' So I gave him a cup of tea and we just chatted...We used to get a lot of people who were maybe insecure or going through emotional breakdowns or whatever. So I said, 'I've got to go to a session but if you promise to be very quiet and just sit in a corner, you can come.' So he did, he came to the session and he did sit very quietly and I never saw him after that. I introduced him to the guys. They said, 'Who's this?' I said, 'He's Jesus Christ.'"

Mr. krista:  "I don’t know.  I don’t like it.  It doesn’t go anywhere.  Just plods along.  Made totally in the studio rather than the product of songwriting.  Seems like a high-dea."

Suggested covers:  I dunno about this vocal, but :shrug:  The Fray.  Love it or hate it version from Electric Würms (count me as hate it).

Last edited by a moderator:
gave my list to Getz for the top 25.  Here are my 26-70.  It could and has changed every time I have looked at it ...so if you mixed just about any of these and put them anywhere, I likely wouldn't argue.  
Bold.  I'm wondering if, when we're done, others will post their top 25 so that they can all also be told by everyone that they are "wrong." ;)  

:excited:   I just realized I had miscounted and have only six more songs in the bottom half rather than the seven I thought I still had to do.  Congratulations and welcome to the top half, unnamed song!

But back to the bad news.

108.  Fixing A Hole (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Credit to @Godsbrother for this being as high as it is.  I'd always thought this was one of my least favorites, bottom 30-40, but then I noticed that he hyped it in a thread or two as underrated, so I thought I should give it a shot.  Now when I play it, I can't get it out of my head, in a good way.  Maybe as more time goes by it will climb even higher.

See what I did there?  "Higher" in a post on a song about pot?

Oh yeah, back to the song.  It's about pot.  It's about Paul wanting to be free to experiment, to let his mind wander and not be constrained.  Maybe to include stuff other than pot, but definitely including pot.  And I think that's one of the most admirable qualities about Paul:  for all the criticism I've given to many of the vaudeville songs, his experimentation into different types of music well exceeded the others', both during the time of the Beatles and thereafter.  He can simply do it all, and even if we don't appreciate the results of his forays into certain genres, I think all his attempts are well-meaning and based on a genuine love for and interest in them.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have a mind that brilliant.

Also, he sure did look dreamy in that "Hey Jude" video.

Oh yeah (again), back to the song (again).  I might mention chord progressions too often, but these are fascinating and move through minor/major in a way that complements the lyrics beautifully.  The lilt of the vocal moving into a more urgent sound along with the guitar, culminating in the blast of "why they don't get in my door," is sublime, as is the guitar work itself.  The song shows off Paul's incredible vocal range not just in terms of the notes but the emotion.  The harpsichord forming part of the rhythm section is a brilliant touch.

Fun story about the session for this song:  a guy showed up at Paul's front door and when Paul asked who he was, he said he was Jesus.  Wait, I'll let Paul tell it.  "This guy said, 'I'm Jesus Christ.' I said, 'Oop,' slightly shocked. I said, 'Well, you'd better come in then.' I thought, Well, it probably isn't. But if he is, I'm not going to be the one to turn him away. So I gave him a cup of tea and we just chatted...We used to get a lot of people who were maybe insecure or going through emotional breakdowns or whatever. So I said, 'I've got to go to a session but if you promise to be very quiet and just sit in a corner, you can come.' So he did, he came to the session and he did sit very quietly and I never saw him after that. I introduced him to the guys. They said, 'Who's this?' I said, 'He's Jesus Christ.'"

Mr. krista:  "I don’t know.  I don’t like it.  It doesn’t go anywhere.  Just plods along.  Made totally in the studio rather than the product of songwriting.  Seems like a high-dea."

Suggested covers:  I dunno about this vocal, but :shrug:  The Frays.  Love it or hate it version from Electric Würms (count me as hate it).
this

ManOfSteelhead's Top 10 for KristaQuatro:

In My Life

Eleanor Rigby

Dear Prudence

Hey Jude

Let it Be

A Day in the Life

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Across the Universe

Strawberry Fields

If you haven't lately can you please post an updated list of everyone's #1 guesses?

Bold.  I'm wondering if, when we're done, others will post their top 25 so that they can all also be told by everyone that they are "wrong." ;)  
I'll do it now.

Anyone not matching my top-25 song-for-song, in the same order, is an unwashed, musically ignorant, know-nothing who can't sort jarring discordant screeching B-sides from obvious greatness.

The Krista 10 (which I am using her album outline and what I like)

Ive Just Seen a Face

Norwegian Wood

Wait

Eleanor Rigby

Tomorrow Never Knows

A Day in the Life

The medley from Abbey Road

Let It Be

Day Tripper 

ManOfSteelhead's Top 10 for KristaQuatro:

In My Life

Eleanor Rigby

Dear Prudence

Hey Jude

Let it Be

A Day in the Life

Across the Universe

Strawberry Fields

If you haven't lately can you please post an updated list of everyone's #1 guesses?
Current #1 list - reminder that it is OK for people to take the same song; this is not a draft!

simey – Abbey Road medley

Mister CIA – She Said She Said

timschochet – Paperback Writer

pecorino – Hey Jude

Binky the Doormat – In My Life

wikkidpissah – Taxman

Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life

Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away

Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride

Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be

Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby

Spock – Rain

Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life

rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand

Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life

shuke – Abbey Road medley

Alex P Keaton – Something

Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends

zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps

neal cassady – I Am the Walrus

Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog

Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood

Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand

Godsbrother – Dear Prudence

The Krista 10 (which I am using her album outline and what I like)

Ive Just Seen a Face

Norwegian Wood

Wait

Eleanor Rigby

Tomorrow Never Knows

A Day in the Life

The medley from Abbey Road

Let It Be

Day Tripper 
:thumbup:   After my pitiful appeal I now have 11 lists, including one sent by PM.  

Krista 10
With A Little Help from My Friends
Helter Skelter
Day in the Life 
While My Guitar Gently Weeks
In My Life
Elanor Rigby
Ticket To Ride
Day Tripper
Here Comes The Sun
Medley

Users who are viewing this thread