Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

Recommended Posts

I'll update the lists of top 10s and #1s and repost them again tomorrow.  I'm extending the deadline through tomorrow, so I'll check one more time to make sure I haven't missed anyone.  Extending it because I'm not going to get back to the countdown until tomorrow night at earliest, maybe Tuesday morning.  Have some other stuff to catch up on first! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 3:26 PM, krista4 said:

@Godsbrother, I have silly question that I know you'll know the right answer to:  is it "Sgt. Pepper's" (period) or "Sgt Pepper's" (no period)?  I see it both ways.  I've been using the period but don't want to keep posting incorrectly.

This might be related to my next post.  :popcorn: 

The bass drum on the LP cover reads "Sgt Peppers" (no period or apostrophe)".    But the lyrics on the back cover and on the name of the album and song on the LP label itself is  "Sgt. Pepper's".   

Therefore I think the correct name is "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, krista4 said:

:excited:  I just realized I had miscounted and have only six more songs in the bottom half rather than the seven I thought I still had to do.  Congratulations and welcome to the top half, unnamed song!

But back to the bad news.

108.  Fixing A Hole (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Credit to @Godsbrother for this being as high as it is.  I'd always thought this was one of my least favorites, bottom 30-40, but then I noticed that he hyped it in a thread or two as underrated, so I thought I should give it a shot.  Now when I play it, I can't get it out of my head, in a good way.  Maybe as more time goes by it will climb even higher.

See what I did there?  "Higher" in a post on a song about pot?

Oh yeah, back to the song.  It's about pot.  It's about Paul wanting to be free to experiment, to let his mind wander and not be constrained.  Maybe to include stuff other than pot, but definitely including pot.  And I think that's one of the most admirable qualities about Paul:  for all the criticism I've given to many of the vaudeville songs, his experimentation into different types of music well exceeded the others', both during the time of the Beatles and thereafter.  He can simply do it all, and even if we don't appreciate the results of his forays into certain genres, I think all his attempts are well-meaning and based on a genuine love for and interest in them.  I can't imagine what it would be like to have a mind that brilliant.

Also, he sure did look dreamy in that "Hey Jude" video.

Oh yeah (again), back to the song (again).  I might mention chord progressions too often, but these are fascinating and move through minor/major in a way that complements the lyrics beautifully.  The lilt of the vocal moving into a more urgent sound along with the guitar, culminating in the blast of "why they don't get in my door," is sublime, as is the guitar work itself.  The song shows off Paul's incredible vocal range not just in terms of the notes but the emotion.  The harpsichord forming part of the rhythm section is a brilliant touch.

Fun story about the session for this song:  a guy showed up at Paul's front door and when Paul asked who he was, he said he was Jesus.  Wait, I'll let Paul tell it.  "This guy said, 'I'm Jesus Christ.' I said, 'Oop,' slightly shocked. I said, 'Well, you'd better come in then.' I thought, 'Well, it probably isn't. But if he is, I'm not going to be the one to turn him away.' So I gave him a cup of tea and we just chatted...We used to get a lot of people who were maybe insecure or going through emotional breakdowns or whatever. So I said, 'I've got to go to a session but if you promise to be very quiet and just sit in a corner, you can come.' So he did, he came to the session and he did sit very quietly and I never saw him after that. I introduced him to the guys. They said, 'Who's this?' I said, 'He's Jesus Christ.'"

Mr. krista:  "I don’t know.  I don’t like it.  It doesn’t go anywhere.  Just plods along.  Made totally in the studio rather than the product of songwriting.  Seems like a high-dea."

Suggested covers:  I dunno about this vocal, but :shrug: The Fray.  Love it or hate it version from Electric Würms (count me as hate it).

Probably my second favorite song on the Pepper LP.   I just love it -- one interesting note about the composition is that Beatles long time roadie Mal Evans claimed to have written some of the lyrics and that Paul promised to credit him as a writer but it never happened.  He also said he co-wrote Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 2:27 PM, krista4 said:

106.  Baby You're a Rich Man (single, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

This is another Beatles song I love, but apparently a little less than 100 or so others.

I should take a nap.

Mr. krista:  "I like it. It’s vaguely Harrison-influenced. I like his falsetto.  Seems way ahead of its time.  You could see Happy Mondays or some of those factory bands playing a song like that."

Suggested cover:  I dunno, sleepy.

Not a big fan aside from the fact that it was two different songs joined together "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people" (John) and "Baby You're a Rich Man" (Paul) and John's crazy clavioline playing.   

Apparently George sang it as he strolled the Gold Gate Park when he visited San Francisco in 1967 thinking of all the beautiful people there but was disappointed to see many of them were drug addicts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2019 at 4:40 PM, krista4 said:

105.  I Me Mine (Let It Be, 1970)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Though most of Let It Be was recorded before Abbey Road, the version of this song recorded during the Let It Be sessions was not included on the album.  Instead, this version was later recorded (after Abbey Road), making this the last song the Beatles ever recorded together.  :cry: Or, sorta together, since John didn't participate.  In fact, it appeared that neither Paul nor John ever much liked this song.  What do those dummies know about music.  

George composed this "heavy waltz" after an LSD trip caused him to look at everything around him and see ego, so the song is a criticism of egotism.  I'd quote some of his actual words here if I understood them at all; George was on a different plane than I am (I intend that admiringly).  Well, here's part of it anyway:  "'I Me Mine' is the ego problem. There are two 'I's: the little 'i' when people say 'I am this'; and the big 'I' – i.e. Om, the complete, whole universal consciousness that is devoid of duality and ego. There is nothing that isn't part of the complete whole. When the little 'i' merges into the big 'I' then you are really smiling!"

This is one of the only songs on the record where I strongly prefer the Spector-ized version.  The Spector version - adding 27 strings and six brass! - captures an eerie feel that I associated with the underlying basis of the song and also seems to have better flowiness.  Which is not a word, I guess.  Anyway, great jam.  Beautiful vocal.  Love the guitar intro.  Particularly nice work by Ringo.  Funky AF. That middle that doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of the song is way cool (apparently a Paul contribution - WTGPM).    

Mr. krista:  "I like that song, too.  Solid four to start this record.  I like that heavy chorus after the first part’s a waltz and then that is hard 4/4.  Great Harrison jam."

Suggested covers:  Beth Orton  Spoon

The best thing Spector did here was lengthen the song from a little over a minute and a half to almost two and a half minutes.    I Me Mine was the only song recorded in it's entirety in 1970.   As Krista pointed out, Lennon had already left the Beatles by the time this was recorded.   Take 15 which is available on bootlegs and edited onto Anthology 3 has Harrison joking about John not being there with the statement "You all will have read that Dave Dee is no longer with us. But Mickey and Tich and I would just like to carry on the good work that's always gone down in number two".   A reference to EMI studio #2.  

Underrrated song and a sad ending to the Beatles.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

 

Apparently George sang it as he strolled the Gold Gate Park when he visited San Francisco in 1967 thinking of all the beautiful people there but was disappointed to see many of them were drug addicts.

Lots of great things tidbits- thanks!  Had never heard this one.

Our servers are down at work so I guess I’ll be doing Beatles rankings today after all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated lists; please let me know if I've missed anyone:

Name my #1 song.  I have the following; please correct or add as you'd like (these are in order of submission):

  1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Mister CIA – She Said She Said
  3. timschochet – Paperback Writer
  4. pecorino – Hey Jude
  5. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  6. wikkidpissah – Taxman
  7. Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life
  8. Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  9. Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride
  10. Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be
  11. Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby
  12. Spock – Rain
  13. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  14. rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand
  15. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  16. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  17. Alex P Keaton – Something
  18. Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends
  19. zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  20. neal cassady – I Am the Walrus
  21. Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog
  22. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  23. Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand
  24. Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
  25. ManofSteelhead – Eleanor Rigby
  26. mike9289 - I'm Looking Through You
  27. heckmanm - Eleanor Rigby
  28. Atomic Punk - A Day in the Life
  29. bananafish - Abbey Road medley
  30. Bonzai - Abbey Road medley?

Guess my top 10.  I have lists from the following; please let me know if I've missed you or if you want to add your list (these are in the order in which I randomly pasted them into a Word  document):

  1. Ilov80s
  2. ManofSteelhead
  3. Getzlaf
  4. ScottNorwood
  5. rockaction
  6. Mister CIA
  7. simey
  8. Dr. Octopus
  9. tim
  10. Spock
  11. Tom Hagen
  12. mike9289
  13. Uruk
  14. Alex P Keaton
  15. Binky
  16. pecorino
  17. Shaft41
  18. heckmanm
  19. Atomic Punk
  20. bananafish
  21. Bonzai
  22. Ted Lange

@Shaft41 I had indeed missed your post that was the last one on a page, so thank you for pointing it out!

@Bonzai, I have your top ten list but didn't see where you'd specified a #1 song (though I could have missed it).  I put down Abbey Road medley because it was the first one on your list, but let me know if incorrect.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

102.  I Should Have Known Better (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

For three weeks beginning in mid-January 1964, the Beatles were booked at shows in Paris, and they also had a piano brought in to work on new songs for the upcoming A Hard Day's Night movie/album during their "down" time.  When they weren't playing or songwriting, though, they apparently spent all their time listening to the new Bob Dylan record they'd acquired, The Freewheelin'.  You can certainly hear the influence of that record on this song, written entirely by John during that time and paying tribute to Dylan's style on the harmonica.  As on "Love Me Do," the harmonica is the star of the show for me on this song, though this also features a fine John vocal that stretches him throughout his range.  I especially love his "oh"s on the bridge, and the way it feels like he isn't go to hit those notes on "mi-i-i-ine," but he makes it!   Another more subtle bit of the bridge that I love is George strumming those gentle chords at the beginning of each line, signaling the new chord in half time, and the last strum leads beautifully back into the verse.  Just a small touch that keeps the song together.

Fun fact:  George Harrison met his future wife Pattie Boyd when she was one of the girls in the train scenes in the movie, including the scene featuring this song.  Here's her big speaking part:  Prisoners?

Mr. krista:  "I like the harmonica on this song the best, but I feel like it’s kind of silly given what they could do in other songs. I feel like they weren’t trying that hard."

Suggested covers:  Phil Ochs  She & Him  Johnny Rivers  

 

 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll put Yesterday as my pick for Krista's #1.  Can't pass up the opportunity for a potential donation to The Human Fund.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

101.  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Nobody panic.  This is just a ranking for the reprise, not the version that opens the record.  Actually I like some aspects of this better than the other:  the energy is higher; the playing is tighter; and I love that charging drumbeat, Paul's count-in and John's little "bye" or "goodbye" at 0:04 during that count-in, and George's guitar riffs.  They sound like they're having a blast on this one, and apparently they were, as Geoff Emerick described it:  "Everybody was really upbeat that day, and it shows.  The vibe was fantastic...I could feel the excitement building from the very first moment...  The Beatles played the whole thing live, just two guitars, bass, and drums with just a single keyboard overdub.  Ringo was pounding the hell out of his drums...  In fact, everyone was playing full-out."

The idea to have a reprise actually came from Neil Aspinall, who suggested that the master of ceremonies from the intro should come back in at the end to close the album (which this song doesn't, but it does lead into the A Day in the Life finale).  John responded to the idea with "Nobody likes a smart-####, Neil," which translated from Lennon-speak meant he was on-board with the idea.  The only reason this isn't higher is because it seems like more of a snippet than a fully formed song, at 80 seconds long with just a repeated chorus, and I want to give other deserving full songs a spot in the top 100 instead.    

Mr. krista:  "Seemed like a passing reprise.  Probably should have been another one at the beginning of the second side.  Nobody thinks of records anymore, though.  As soon as I heard that beat, I thought of the Beastie Boys song."

Suggested cover:  I'll wait to post covers with the other version.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🎉🎉🎉

WE DID IT!!! (REPRISE)

🎉🎉🎉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, krista4 said:

102.  I Should Have Known Better (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

 

 

 

Disagree with Mr K4 on this one. This record seems to me like they were thinking about how they wanted to sound, as opposed to "let's see what happens; we know we're good, so it'll probably be great". Not that they didn't think hard on their earlier hits (or, God knows, think less hard on their later stuff), but - I dunno - this one and the title track from the album seem different to me. I think John was starting to feel himself as creator and (especially) singer. It's my favorite vocal by him up until this point in Beatles history (among those that k4 has posted already).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, krista4 said:

101.  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Nobody panic.  This is just a ranking for the reprise, not the version that opens the record.  Actually I like some aspects of this better than the other:  the energy is higher; the playing is tighter; and I love that charging drumbeat, Paul's count-in and John's little "bye" or "goodbye" at 0:04 during that count-in, and George's guitar riffs.  They sound like they're having a blast on this one, and apparently they were, as Geoff Emerick described it:  "Everybody was really upbeat that day, and it shows.  The vibe was fantastic...I could feel the excitement building from the very first moment...  The Beatles played the whole thing live, just two guitars, bass, and drums with just a single keyboard overdub.  Ringo was pounding the hell out of his drums...  In fact, everyone was playing full-out."

The idea to have a reprise actually came from Neil Aspinall, who suggested that the master of ceremonies from the intro should come back in at the end to close the album (which this song doesn't, but it does lead into the A Day in the Life finale).  John responded to the idea with "Nobody likes a smart-####, Neil," which translated from Lennon-speak meant he was on-board with the idea.  The only reason this isn't higher is because it seems like more of a snippet than a fully formed song, at 80 seconds long with just a repeated chorus, and I want to give other deserving full songs a spot in the top 100 instead.    

Mr. krista:  "Seemed like a passing reprise.  Probably should have been another one at the beginning of the second side.  Nobody thinks of records anymore, though.  As soon as I heard that beat, I thought of the Beastie Boys song."

Suggested cover:  I'll wait to post covers with the other version.

Agree with the bolded. The playing on the reprise is some of the most ferocious this band ever did. It's probably better this is the shorter version, as they'd have broken all of their instruments and the sound board if they kept on like this for very long. Ringo absolutely slays on this song.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Disagree with Mr K4 on this one. This record seems to me like they were thinking about how they wanted to sound, as opposed to "let's see what happens; we know we're good, so it'll probably be great". Not that they didn't think hard on their earlier hits (or, God knows, think less hard on their later stuff), but - I dunno - this one and the title track from the album seem different to me. I think John was starting to feel himself as creator and (especially) singer. It's my favorite vocal by him up until this point in Beatles history (among those that k4 has posted already).

When someone does their thread ranking all 204 of Mr. krista's comments in this thread, that should mark that one as a bit lazy.

Agree on the vocal - so special.

11 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Agree with the bolded. The playing on the reprise is some of the most ferocious this band ever did. It's probably better this is the shorter version, as they'd have broken all of their instruments and the sound board if they kept on like this for very long. Ringo absolutely slays on this song.

:lol:  Good point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

When someone does their thread ranking all 204 of Mr. krista's comments in this thread, that should mark that one as a bit lazy.

 

The one about Ringo swinging a big pair is going to be awfully tough to beat. :lmao:

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 100!!!   💃 🕺

I have to cut off my #1 and top 10 contests here, because next up will be a song that some people chose as a guess for my top 10.  🥁

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final lists:

Name my #1 song. 

  1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Mister CIA – She Said She Said
  3. timschochet – Paperback Writer
  4. pecorino – Hey Jude
  5. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  6. wikkidpissah – Taxman
  7. Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life
  8. Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  9. Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride
  10. Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be
  11. Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby
  12. Spock – Rain
  13. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  14. rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand
  15. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  16. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  17. Alex P Keaton – Something
  18. Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends
  19. zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  20. neal cassady – I Am the Walrus
  21. Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog
  22. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  23. Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand
  24. Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
  25. ManofSteelhead – Eleanor Rigby
  26. mike9289 - I'm Looking Through You
  27. heckmanm - Eleanor Rigby
  28. Atomic Punk - A Day in the Life
  29. bananafish - Abbey Road medley
  30. Bonzai - Abbey Road medley
  31. fatguy – Here Comes the Sun
  32. ScottNorwood- Yesterday

Guess my top 10.  (Participants; putting all the lists in a post takes too much formatting.)

  1. Ilov80s
  2. ManofSteelhead
  3. Getzlaf
  4. ScottNorwood
  5. rockaction
  6. Mister CIA
  7. simey
  8. Dr. Octopus
  9. tim
  10. Spock
  11. Tom Hagen
  12. mike9289
  13. Uruk
  14. Alex P Keaton
  15. Binky
  16. pecorino
  17. Shaft41
  18. heckmanm
  19. Atomic Punk
  20. bananafish
  21. Bonzai
  22. Ted Lange
  23. fatguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Top 100!!!   💃 🕺

I have to cut off my #1 and top 10 contests here, because next up will be a song that some people chose as a guess for my top 10.  🥁

 

Was your #1 chosen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you were looking for covers for Fixing A Hole you should have mentioned George Burns. Yes it’s a terrible movie but his version is still worth a listen . 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

  

Mr. krista:  "Seemed like a passing reprise.  Probably should have been another one at the beginning of the second side.  Nobody thinks of records anymore, though.  As soon as I heard that beat, I thought of the Beastie Boys song."

 

Reminds me of Tom Petty's "Hello CD listeners" bit in the middle of Full Moon Fever 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100.  Good Day Sunshine (Revolver, 1966)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

What a fabulous way to start Side Two of Revolver!  The album was such a departure from much of their prior work that shaking up the experimental nature of some of the tracks with this gorgeous pop song about a sunny day seems a brilliant piece of positioning.  I've mentioned my soft spot for piano parts, and I adore the jaunty ragtime piano work by both George Martin and Paul on this track. The song just get you smiling and humming and happy, unless you're a serial killer or a Patriots fan (which might be redundant).  The highlight for me is the end of the song, where Paul starts raising the notes on "sun-shine" and then the key raises half a step, just before the fade-out of a bunch of voices that don't "touch the ground."  Beautiful ending to a perfect pop song.

The only problem with this song is that it is so sunny that if you're in a bad mood or it's a gloomy day, it can be kind of irritating.  Since I'm in a good mood 52% of the time, it fits here on the countdown.

Mr. krista:  "I like his vocals there – his feet are reluctant to touch the ground.  I like that it’s blatantly vaudevillian.  And it’s about a sunny day, and you got the girl you love, and the day off work, or whatever.  It’s really trite but effective.  The cascading piano is great.  Ringo’s drums again really good.  Like a Scott Joplin number.  You know what it is?  It’s Ben Folds Five.  Rockin’ vaudeville.  All of Ben Folds is 'Good Day Sunshine' and Wings."

Suggested cover:  Paul McCartney is a huge fan of this cover by Roy Redmond (as am I)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Was your #1 chosen?

I don't think I should say!  

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

When you were looking for covers for Fixing A Hole you should have mentioned George Burns. Yes it’s a terrible movie but his version is still worth a listen . 

 

I like that one, too, but I have a firm rule that I'm not linking anything to that movie.  OK, except when I posted the Steve Martin one earlier.  A semi-firm rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krista4 said:

I don't think I should say!  

I like that one, too, but I have a firm rule that I'm not linking anything to that movie.  OK, except when I posted the Steve Martin one earlier.  A semi-firm rule.

There is one other excellent cover on that album.  By Aerosmith.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that always struck me about "Good Day Sunshine": it ends with that chant-echo, in which we hear the words "Good Day Sunshine" over and over.

In that exact same year, the Kinks released one of their best ever songs, "Waterloo Sunset." And that song also ends with an extremely similar chant echo "Waterloo Sunset's Fine!" sung over and over.

So I've never been sure who copied who. I'm betting Ray Davies imitated McCartney, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

 

I like that one, too, but I have a firm rule that I'm not linking anything to that movie.  OK, except when I posted the Steve Martin one earlier.  A semi-firm rule.

I'm going to. And I'm calling in a favorite poster when I do. Second best Beatle cover ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I don't think I should say!  

 

 

:kicksrock:

Ok, then. Toy with us to your heart's delight

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, timschochet said:

There is one other excellent cover on that album.  By Aerosmith.

:X 

11 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I'm going to. And I'm calling in a favorite poster when I do. Second best Beatle cover ever.

🍿

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

99.  Tell Me What You See (Help!, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

This seems to be considered by many, including the Beatles, as "filler" and was deemed by Richard Lester to be too weak to include in the movie.  Jerks.  I love this song.  Love that funky piano part that ends with a driving bass drum and snare bringing it back together.  Love Paul and John seamlessly switching between harmonies and unison, and the big jump between the first two words of the verses ("If you") followed by a pleasing downward progression.  Love the little claves sounds and whatever the hell it is that George is doing.*  In the harmonies, you can hear that they are not quite singing on the same beat - I'm not sure if it was intended, but while they're both singing kinda on the downbeat, John comes in a microsecond earlier than Paul.  Whether intended or not, it forms a nice complement to the strong 4/4 time being kept by the percussion.

*Turns out that George was playing a güiro.  

Mr. krista:  "This is a’right.   Yeah, that’s a fantastic song.  The first part of the chorus part that’s so flat, so someone singing lower end and then it’s all intense and kind of insane.  I don’t even understand the instrumentation that’s going on.  I guess there are guitars there, but Paul’s electric piano sounds great, which usually depresses me, but in those breaks it’s coupled with Ringo’s backward ### fills."

Suggested cover:  Teenage Fanclub

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not remember this song.  It may be the only one so far.  

Binky in-depth analysis:  I don't hate it, but it's pretty lame for a Beatles song.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just updated the second post and noticed that there are only seven Help! songs left.  Fans of that album, have no fear!  Of the seven remaining, four are in my top 20.  :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I just updated the second post and noticed that there are only seven Help! songs left.  Fans of that album, have no fear!  Of the seven remaining, four are in my top 20.  :) 

whoa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I just updated the second post and noticed that there are only seven Help! songs left.  Fans of that album, have no fear!  Of the seven remaining, four are in my top 20.  :) 

If one of them is "Act Naturally" Ima burn this place down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I do not remember this song.  It may be the only one so far.  

Binky in-depth analysis:  I don't hate it, but it's pretty lame for a Beatles song.  

It could reasonably be argued that it doesn't really go anywhere.

6 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

If one of them is "Act Naturally" Ima burn this place down.  

Help!
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
I Need You
You're Going To Lose That Girl
Ticket To Ride
I've Just Seen A Face
Yesterday

Also, when updating I noticed for the first time that the song "Tell Me What You See" on the record was followed immediately by "I've Just Seen a Face."  Cute.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I just updated the second post and noticed that there are only seven Help! songs left.  Fans of that album, have no fear!  Of the seven remaining, four are in my top 20.  :) 

I'm one of those fans!   Those are 7 great songs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

I'm one of those fans!   Those are 7 great songs.  

Right?  I'd say all but one could slip into my top 20 on a given day (and the one that doesn't is still a great song).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krista4 said:

It could reasonably be argued that it doesn't really go anywhere.

Help!
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
I Need You
You're Going To Lose That Girl
Ticket To Ride
I've Just Seen A Face
Yesterday

Also, when updating I noticed for the first time that the song "Tell Me What You See" on the record was followed immediately by "I've Just Seen a Face."  Cute.

...I was kidding, I know you're fond of Ringo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

98.  Come Together (Abbey Road, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I might manage to piss off everyone in one feel swoop with this one!  I know many people would have it very high, top 10 even, and then the likes of @Mister CIA, @shuke, @Dinsy Ejotuz, and @Shaft41 might have it much lower.

It's middle-ish to me because there are some aspects of it that are outstanding, but overall I find my mind wandering a little by the end.  On the negative side, the lyrics...I"m OK with non-sensical lyrics as evidenced by some future rankings, but if I'm going to be listening to gibberish I'd rather be sitting on a cornflake.  Plus, some of the lyrics were stolen from Chuck Berry, which led to an out-of-court settlement by which John agreed to record three songs for Berry's publisher.  I also am not a fan of John's vocal on this.  Like, at all.  And I think if you're going to make this song, go all-in and make it more menacing than it sounds.  The song makes me a little sad for showing some of the splits in the group, too - Paul has expressed how much he would have loved to sing harmonies on it, but he was too embarrassed and maybe a bit angry to ask.  Likewise, John shut Paul out of the piano part, which Paul actually composed and would have done masterfully (not that there was anything wrong with John's version).

On the plus side, and this is why it gets to be so high, it's a great funky rock song with George's stunning guitar work, Paul's fantastic bass riff and, far more important than anything else in the song, those drums.  I heard an interview once with Stewart Copeland, about a tribute to Ringo put on at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame at which Copeland participated.  He said that they producers of the tribute asked the drummers participating which was their favorite song for Ringo's drumming, and that they all had the same answer:  "Come Together."  Copeland then waxed poetic for a while about how ground-breaking and amazing this piece was in that respect, and when I listen to it, I feel the same way.  I basically hear nothing but the drumming on this song; I'm simply fascinated with it.

 The song was originally composed at the request of Timothy Leary, who had attended John and Yoko's second "bed-in" (even joining in on the singing of "Give Peace a Chance") and asked John if he could help with a campaign song for Leary's candidacy against incumbent Ronald Reagan for governor of California, a campaign the slogan of which was "Come together, join the party."  Leary used an early rough demo of the song in alternative radio campaign ads for a short time - a demo that bears no resemblance to the finished product - before his arrest for marijuana possession derailed his candidacy (isn't that quaint?), since he was kept in jail until the election was over.  The final version also doesn't bear so much resemblance to the version John brought into the studio for the band, as, among other things, it was later slowed down considerably to make it "swampy," at the suggestion of Paul.

Mr. krista:  "The organ is awesome, and of course it takes a genius like Ringo Starr to write that drum fill.  It’s so inventive.  Only someone who’s forced to play and therefore think backwards could come up with that.  A right-handed drummer just doesn’t play like that.  It’s not supposed to be music.  Ringo taking everybody to drum school.  If you don't like Ringo, why don't you just throw yourself in a volcano.  Or shoot yourself directly into the center of the Earth."

Suggested covers:  I'm not posting "that one cover" despite its being a favorite of @timschochet and probably others.  I like a cover either to take the best parts of a song (in this case the rhythm section) and expand around them, or do more of a reimagining of it.  That cover does neither.   Here are several I'd suggest instead:  Cassandra Wilson   The Meters   The Brothers Johnson   Arctic Monkeys   Ike & Tina   Michael Jackson  Nevermind, I could go on...

Edited by krista4
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, krista4 said:

98.  Come Together (Abbey Road, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I might manage to piss off everyone in one feel swoop with this one!  I know many people would have it very high, top 10 even, and then the likes of @Mister CIA, @shuke, @Dinsy Ejotuz, and @Shaft41 might have it much lower.

It's middle-ish to me because there are some aspects of it that are outstanding, but overall I find my mind wandering a little by the end.  On the negative side, the lyrics...I"m OK with non-sensical lyrics as evidenced by some future rankings, but if I'm going to be listening to gibberish I'd rather be sitting on a cornflake.  Plus, some of the lyrics were stolen from Chuck Berry, which led to an out-of-court settlement by which John agreed to record three songs for Berry's publisher.  I also am not a fan of John's vocal on this.  Like, at all.  And I think if you're going to make this song, go all-in and make it more menacing than it sounds.  The song makes me a little sad for showing some of the splits in the group, too - Paul has expressed how much he would have loved to sing harmonies on it, but he was too embarrassed and maybe a bit angry to ask.  Likewise, John shut Paul out of the piano part, which Paul actually composed and would have done masterfully (not that there was anything wrong with John's version).

On the plus side, and this is why it gets to be so high, it's a great funky rock song with George's stunning guitar work, Paul's fantastic bass riff and, far more important than anything else in the song, those drums.  I heard an interview once with Stewart Copeland, about a tribute to Ringo put on at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame at which Copeland participated.  He said that they producers of the tribute asked the drummers participating which was their favorite song for Ringo's drumming, and that they all had the same answer:  "Come Together."  Copeland then waxed poetic for a while about how ground-breaking and amazing this piece was in that respect, and when I listen to it, I feel the same way.  I basically hear nothing but the drumming on this song; I'm simply fascinated with it.

 The song was originally composed at the request of Timothy Leary, who had attended John and Yoko's second "bed-in" (even joining in on the singing of "Give Peace a Chance") and asked John if he could help with a campaign song for Leary's candidacy against incumbent Ronald Reagan for governor of California, a campaign the slogan of which was "Come together, join the party."  Leary used an early rough demo of the song in alternative radio campaign ads for a short time - a demo that bears no resemblance to the finished product - before his arrest for marijuana possession derailed his candidacy (isn't that quaint?), since he was kept in jail until the election was over.  The final version also doesn't bear so much resemblance to the version John brought into the studio for the band, as, among other things, it was later slowed down considerably to make it "swampy," at the suggestion of Paul.

Mr. krista:  "The organ is awesome, and of course it takes a genius like Ringo Starr to write that drum fill.  It’s so inventive.  Only someone who’s forced to play and therefore think backwards could come up with that.  A right-handed drummer just doesn’t play like that.  It’s not supposed to be music.  Ringo taking everybody to drum school.  If you don't like Ringo, why don't you just throw yourself in a volcano.  Or shoot yourself directly into the center of the Earth."

Suggested covers:  I'm not posting "that one cover" despite its being a favorite of @timschochet and probably others.  I like a cover either to take the best parts of a song (in this case the rhythm section) and expand around them, or do more of a reimagining of it.  That cover does neither.   Here are several I'd suggest instead:  Cassandra Wilson   The Meters   The Brothers Johnson   Arctic Monkeys   Ike & Tina   Michael Jackson  Nevermind, I could go on...

I dig the song because there was nothing else like it when it came out.  It was paired with "Something" and I believe was the first single where both sides were charted as a single record "double A-side" because both sides were getting so much airplay.  Another Beatle first!

 By all accounts John was being a jerk during the recording but fortunately it did not get in the way of them making a great album.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come Together is just a great classic rock song. Hard to believe there are 97 Beatles songs that are better. But let’s see what you got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, krista4 said:

98.  Come Together (Abbey Road, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I might manage to piss off everyone in one feel swoop with this one!  I know many people would have it very high, top 10 even, and then the likes of @Mister CIA, @shuke, @Dinsy Ejotuz, and @Shaft41 might have it much lower.

It's middle-ish to me because there are some aspects of it that are outstanding, but overall I find my mind wandering a little by the end.  On the negative side, the lyrics...I"m OK with non-sensical lyrics as evidenced by some future rankings, but if I'm going to be listening to gibberish I'd rather be sitting on a cornflake.  Plus, some of the lyrics were stolen from Chuck Berry, which led to an out-of-court settlement by which John agreed to record three songs for Berry's publisher.  I also am not a fan of John's vocal on this.  Like, at all.  And I think if you're going to make this song, go all-in and make it more menacing than it sounds.  The song makes me a little sad for showing some of the splits in the group, too - Paul has expressed how much he would have loved to sing harmonies on it, but he was too embarrassed and maybe a bit angry to ask.  Likewise, John shut Paul out of the piano part, which Paul actually composed and would have done masterfully (not that there was anything wrong with John's version).

On the plus side, and this is why it gets to be so high, it's a great funky rock song with George's stunning guitar work, Paul's fantastic bass riff and, far more important than anything else in the song, those drums.  I heard an interview once with Stewart Copeland, about a tribute to Ringo put on at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame at which Copeland participated.  He said that they producers of the tribute asked the drummers participating which was their favorite song for Ringo's drumming, and that they all had the same answer:  "Come Together."  Copeland then waxed poetic for a while about how ground-breaking and amazing this piece was in that respect, and when I listen to it, I feel the same way.  I basically hear nothing but the drumming on this song; I'm simply fascinated with it.

 The song was originally composed at the request of Timothy Leary, who had attended John and Yoko's second "bed-in" (even joining in on the singing of "Give Peace a Chance") and asked John if he could help with a campaign song for Leary's candidacy against incumbent Ronald Reagan for governor of California, a campaign the slogan of which was "Come together, join the party."  Leary used an early rough demo of the song in alternative radio campaign ads for a short time - a demo that bears no resemblance to the finished product - before his arrest for marijuana possession derailed his candidacy (isn't that quaint?), since he was kept in jail until the election was over.  The final version also doesn't bear so much resemblance to the version John brought into the studio for the band, as, among other things, it was later slowed down considerably to make it "swampy," at the suggestion of Paul.

Mr. krista:  "The organ is awesome, and of course it takes a genius like Ringo Starr to write that drum fill.  It’s so inventive.  Only someone who’s forced to play and therefore think backwards could come up with that.  A right-handed drummer just doesn’t play like that.  It’s not supposed to be music.  Ringo taking everybody to drum school.  If you don't like Ringo, why don't you just throw yourself in a volcano.  Or shoot yourself directly into the center of the Earth."

Suggested covers:  I'm not posting "that one cover" despite its being a favorite of @timschochet and probably others.  I like a cover either to take the best parts of a song (in this case the rhythm section) and expand around them, or do more of a reimagining of it.  That cover does neither.   Here are several I'd suggest instead:  Cassandra Wilson   The Meters   The Brothers Johnson   Arctic Monkeys   Ike & Tina   Michael Jackson  Nevermind, I could go on...

Musically, I like this one much better than many of John's during this period of the Beatles.  I can handle nonsense lyrics to a degree, but they get really tiresome to me after awhile, especially from John.  Whenever I hear someone perform this song, I just find myself thinking "How are they earnestly singing these lyrics with a straight face?"  It's different if you wrote them; you're proud of them and you can sell them.  But it's a little harder to fire off a convincing JuJu Eyeball if you're, say, Miley Cyrus.  I think this ranking is perfect for this one, right about where I'd put it.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, krista4 said:

100.  Good Day Sunshine (Revolver, 1966)

The only problem with this song is that it is so sunny that if you're in a bad mood or it's a gloomy day, it can be kind of irritating.  Since I'm in a good mood 52% of the time, it fits here on the countdown.

Come on, turn that frown upside down. :whistle:

Sometimes it's nice to be cheered up when you're feeling a bit grumpy or down. The "upbeat-ness" of the song is what is so endearing to me. There are a couple of songs that are impossible to listen to without cracking a smile - this is one of them. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.