Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I agree that Come Together is massively overrated. Good song but it appealed a lot more to me when I was 16 than now. 

Couldn’t agree more. It would be in my bottom quarter now. I don’t think it’s aged well and Aerosmith didn’t help.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I think the best thing to do is ignore the lyrics and treat the vocal melody as another instrument of the record's groove. I do this with a ton of Elton John songs where the lyric is literal gibberish (like, not even real words). As a groove record, "Come Together" is fine. Not in my top 25, either.

By the way, Paul would have been a much better choice to sing lead on this.

That's an interesting idea, and I think I agree.

23 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

You cant talk about having a top 25 if you have not sent it to me.   House rules.  

BOOM!

12 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Krista’s last two picks have already proved my assertion that there are not 97 Beatles songs better than “Come Together”. 

Are there 95? I doubt that as well. We will find 

This is pretty interesting from someone that had a pretty unique top 25.  

Edited by Getzlaf15
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

16 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Krista’s last two picks have already proved my assertion that there are not 97 Beatles songs better than “Come Together”. 

Are there 95? I doubt that as well. We will find out. 

Private message to everyone but tim:

See title change.

26 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Let's just rip the bandaid off for @Binky The Doormat.  :( 

96.  Long, Long, Long (White Album, 1968)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Binky, it makes you feel better, this is my highest ranked of the three Beatles songs beginning with the word "long"!  It took me a long time (no pun intended) to get into this song, but I've grown to love it.  When in the right mood for it, there's probably nothing much better.  Sounds like it could be a love song but was actually written by George about God (which I guess could be a love song, too).  This is one of the times where I might find listening to a White Album song in isolation improves it; coming right after "Helter Skelter" on the album, this seems too jarring.  As a stand-alone piece, the ethereal sound of George's delicate voice, punctuated by those crashing drums (often pausing one beat behind where i expect them), is stunningly beautiful.  I find this one nearly impossible to rank.  In the "is it a great song" rankings, it would be higher since I think that, for what it is, it's nearly perfect and it sounds like something that could still be put on an album today.  In the "what do I want to listen to when I choose something on Spotify," this is where it goes.

Mr. krista:  [After I mention that it seems modern enough to fit on an alternative record right now...]  "A million times better.  Have you heard…the Killers?  I love that Ringo’s drums sound like they were recorded at the bottom of the stairwell.  It’s like when the levee breaks.  Sounds like Sad Eyed Lady, the Dylan song."*

*George has acknowledged this inspiration for the chord progressions.

Suggested cover:  Low  Elliott Smith (again)

I love this quiet song. 

#27 on the Binky Beatles Hit List!!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:
57 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Heh. I love this song but it doesn't crack my top twenty-five, either.  

You cant talk about having a top 25 if you have not sent it to me.   House rules.  

come'on

• Like 1

here's #95:

i'm soooo tired, of genius timschochet

i'm soooo tired he hasn't got it yet

couldn't see past his take to win a million dollar bet, no no no

i'm soooo tired of arguments of taste

i'm so-o-o-o tired of folks who "know" where songs are placed

why does krista bother, thru all this drive-by haste?!

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 7
  • Laughing 3
  • Thinking 1

31 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Let's just rip the bandaid off for @Binky The Doormat.  :( 

96.  Long, Long, Long (White Album, 1968)

Binky, it makes you feel better, this is my highest ranked of the three Beatles songs beginning with the word "long"!  It took me a long time (no pun intended) to get into this song, but I've grown to love it.  When in the right mood for it, there's probably nothing much better.  Sounds like it could be a love song but was actually written by George about God (which I guess could be a love song, too).  This is one of the times where I might find listening to a White Album song in isolation improves it; coming right after "Helter Skelter" on the album, this seems too jarring.  As a stand-alone piece, the ethereal sound of George's delicate voice, punctuated by those crashing drums (often pausing one beat behind where i expect them), is stunningly beautiful.  I find this one nearly impossible to rank.  In the "is it a great song" rankings, it would be higher since I think that, for what it is, it's nearly perfect and it sounds like something that could still be put on an album today.  In the "what do I want to listen to when I choose something on Spotify," this is where it goes.

Mr. krista:  [After I mention that it seems modern enough to fit on an alternative record right now...]  "A million times better.  Have you heard…the Killers?  I love that Ringo’s drums sound like they were recorded at the bottom of the stairwell.  It’s like when the levee breaks.  Sounds like Sad Eyed Lady, the Dylan song."*

*George has acknowledged this inspiration for the chord progressions.

Suggested cover:  Low  Elliott Smith (again)

Great drum fills by Ringo here.    Very underrated. 

Also a nod to the bottle of Blue Nun wine on the leslie (rotating) speaker that vibrated and made noise when Paul played certain notes on the organ.  The Beatles always put little mistakes like this to good use!

Also John does not appear on this track, which happened quite a bit on Harrison songs from here on out.  A lot was made about the argument that Paul & George had in the Let It Be movie but George and John had bigger issues.   If you look at John's contributions on Harrison's post 1967 songs they were either minimal, non-audible or nothing at all.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

here's #95:

i'm soooo tired, of genius timschochet

i'm soooo tired he hasn't got it yet

couldn't see past his take to win a million dollar bet, no no no

i'm soooo tired of arguments of taste

i'm so-o-o-o tired of folks who "know" where songs are placed

why does krista bother, thru all this drive-by haste?!

You say, you ranked it too low...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Also John does not appear on this track, which happened quite a bit on Harrison songs from here on out.  A lot was made about the argument that Paul & George had in the Let It Be movie but George and John had bigger issues.   If you look at John's contributions on Harrison's post 1967 songs they were either minimal, non-audible or nothing at all.  

:goodposting:Makes me sad to think how much better some of both George’s and John’s songs could have been if John had let George in more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grateful zed said:

Black white green red
Can I take my friend to bed

Stuff like this may fly at places like FFToday, but we like to work clean here. If you can't handle that maybe this isn't the board for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, krista4 said:

:goodposting:Makes me sad to think how much better some of both George’s and John’s songs could have been if John had let George in more.

And, actually, so many of George's songs are short, though dense, and often feel unfinished to the extent that it seems the others might have been hands-off so not to throw shade on his efforts when, if he'd got the treatment John & Paul gave each other, we might have more forceful, rounded product from him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Stuff like this may fly at places like FFToday, but we like to work clean here. If you can't handle that maybe this isn't the board for you.

Beige, mauve, lemon yellow

Orange you glad that i'm so mellow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Private message to everyone but tim:

Hide contents

See title change.

I would challenge Tim to a fistfight at a charity golf event, but that has already been attempted and it didn’t stop him.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

6 minutes ago, ScottNorwood said:

I would challenge Tim to a fistfight at a charity golf event, but that has already been attempted and it didn’t stop him.

Don't tell tim, but I'm enjoying his shtick here.

5 minutes ago, ScottNorwood said:

I have to believe you are kidding, but even if you are ...make up a story and share.  

7 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I have to believe you are kidding, but even if you are ...make up a story and share.  

It happened in a timdraft, but it was actually Mr. krista who received the challenge, from a poster called TidesofWar.  tim did a riff on it earlier in this thread in response to a Mr. krista post, too.

• Like 2

95.  You Really Got a Hold On Me (With the Beatles, 1963)

Beatles version:  Spotify  Beatles

Hot take alert!  I think the Beatles did a better version of this song than the original by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (the title of which the Beatles accidentally changed).  Oh no, you di'nt.

:ducksfromUruk'sshoe:

Seems I start every description at this point with "I love this song."  I love this song!  It's one of the instances where the lyrics make a huge positive difference to me.  What human hasn't experienced the feeling of wanting to get over a love and not being able to shake it?  Even when we know the person is no good, or at least no good for us:

I don't like you, but I love you
Seems that I'm always thinking of you
Oh, oh, oh, you treat me badly
I love you madly
You've really got a hold on me

We're trying to resist but can't:

I don't want you, but I need you
Don't want to kiss you but I need you
Oh, oh, oh, you do me wrong now
My love is strong now

And finally we just give in:

I love you and all I want you to do
Is just hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me

And not just give in, but feel that desire even more strongly:

Tighter
Tighter

The reason I prefer the Beatles version is that John really sinks into the desperation of these lyrics.  Smokey sounded gentle and sweet when he sang it.  John sounds like he's about to explode from the torture of it all, especially the urgency he imbues in the word "tighter."  It's almost uncomfortable to listen to, and that's why I love it. 

The band sang another version of the song during the Let It Be sessions, but I don't find John's vocal as good on that one. 

Mr. krista:  "He plays right behind the beat.  I think they made that into an aesthetic.  I like the Miracles version a little better, but I like how the Beatles really own it."

Edited by krista4

5 minutes ago, krista4 said:

95.  You Really Got a Hold On Me (With the Beatles, 1963)

Beatles version:  Spotify  Beatles

Hot take alert!  I think the Beatles did a better version of this song than the original by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles (the title of which the Beatles accidentally changed).  Oh no, you di'nt.

:ducksfromUruk'sshoe:

Seems I start every description at this point with "I love this song."  I love this song!  It's one of the instances where the lyrics make a huge positive difference to me.  What human hasn't experienced the feeling of wanting to get over a love and not being able to shake it?  Even when we know the person is no good, or at least no good for us:

I don't like you, but I love you
Seems that I'm always thinking of you
Oh, oh, oh, you treat me badly
I love you madly

We're trying to resist but can't:

I don't want you, but I need you
Don't want to kiss you but I need you
Oh, oh, oh, you do me wrong now
My love is strong now

And finally we just give in:

I love you and all I want you to do
Is just hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me

And not just give in, but feel that desire even more strongly:

Tighter
Tighter

The reason I prefer the Beatles version is that John really sinks into the desperation of these lyrics.  Smokey sounded gentle and sweet when he sang it.  John sounds like he's about to explode from the torture of it all, especially the urgency he imbues in the word "tighter."  It's almost uncomfortable to listen to, and that's why I love it. 

You are right about John's vocal. He coulda made a living being a great cover artist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

It happened in a timdraft, but it was actually Mr. krista who received the challenge, from a poster called TidesofWar.  tim did a riff on it earlier in this thread in response to a Mr. krista post, too.

Forgot to mention that coincidentally the threats came after Mr. krista, the judge for the "best album" part of the draft, ranked Sgt. Pepper's too low in that guy's opinion.  I think Mr. krista might have had "Revolver" overall #1, but probably had a Stooges, Ramones, and Charles Mingus record, among others, above Pepper's.

It had to have been ~10 years ago or more because we were still living in Chicago at the time, and moved from there in late 2009.  So you could find it all just by going through the last 10-11 years of tim's posts.  Simple enough.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

ship it.

Ship it good.

• Like 3

On 2/4/2019 at 2:22 PM, krista4 said:

102.  I Should Have Known Better (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

My mom gave me a harmonica in high school, and this is the first song I learned to play with it. I would play it over and over until my lips went numb.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, krista4 said:

You're going to have lots of screams of pain today, George fan.  :( 

You wouldn't.

ETA:  OK -- yellow alert cancelled.  

Also, despite the fact you and Mr. K hate Paul, we're actually still pretty sympatico on this stuff overall.  Really only maybe 3-4 songs I care about being so low.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

94.  Cry Baby Cry (White Album, 1968)

Like "Good Morning Good Morning," this John song might have been inspired in part by an ad, specifically some words he thought he'd caught:  "Cry baby cry; make your mother buy."  This song has a nice spooky feel to it; John's voice has a slight echo that, along with his dry and straightforward delivery, makes it sound chilling to me.  Paul's harmonies near the very end add to the eeriness, George's nifty guitar parts contribute to the tension, and the descending chords on the verses give a nice sense of menace.  The lyrics seem like a nursery rhyme and owe a debt to "Sing a Song of Sixpence" along with Lewis Carroll, and when John sings in a nearly childlike fashion in parts, it just increases how weird this song feels.  The last ~30 seconds, the "can you take me back" part by Paul, were not originally meant to be part of this song, but were from some improvisations during the recording of "I Will."  But that "song" didn't receive any separate mention on the album and by now is just considered part of this one.  In any case, my favorite part is when this song leads into that latter one; they actually seem to be meant to go together as the Paul song has a similar ghostly feel to it.  

Not-so-fun fact:  The song was first rehearsed the same day that "Ob-La-Di" was finished, the tension from all the battles over that song carrying over to the recordings of this one that night, with Geoff Emerick deciding then and there that he wouldn't be finishing this song.  The next day, he quit, and the recording of this song was begun anew.  

Mr. krista:  "It’s a great pop song.  There’s a lot of songs called cry baby or baby cry or baby baby cry cry, and I think I like them all. There’s the Janis Joplin song called Cry Baby… and there’s this…"

Suggested cover:  I guess I'm going to end up with at least three covers listed from Steve Earle, since there's another one later that I know I'll be using.  Oh well; I can't find any others I like better than this.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, krista4 said:

94.  Cry Baby Cry (White Album, 1968)

Like "Good Morning Good Morning," this John song might have been inspired in part by an ad, specifically some words he thought he'd caught:  "Cry baby cry; make your mother buy."  This song has a nice spooky feel to it; John's voice has a slight echo that, along with his dry and straightforward delivery, makes it sound chilling to me.  Paul's harmonies near the very end add to the eeriness, George's nifty guitar parts contribute to the tension, and the descending chords on the verses give a nice sense of menace.  The lyrics seem like a nursery rhyme and owe a debt to "Sing a Song of Sixpence" along with Lewis Carroll, and when John sings in a nearly childlike fashion in parts, it just increases how weird this song feels.  The last ~30 seconds, the "can you take me back" part by Paul, were not originally meant to be part of this song, but were from some improvisations during the recording of "I Will."  But that "song" didn't receive any separate mention on the album and by now is just considered part of this one.  In any case, my favorite part is when this song leads into that latter one; they actually seem to be meant to go together as the Paul song has a similar ghostly feel to it.  

Not-so-fun fact:  The song was first rehearsed the same day that "Ob-La-Di" was finished, the tension from all the battles over that song carrying over to the recordings of this one that night, with Geoff Emerick deciding then and there that he wouldn't be finishing this song.  The next day, he quit, and the recording of this song was begun anew.  

Mr. krista:  "It’s a great pop song.  There’s a lot of songs called cry baby or baby cry or baby baby cry cry, and I think I like them all. There’s the Janis Joplin song called Cry Baby… and there’s this…"

Suggested cover:  I guess I'm going to end up with at least three covers listed from Steve Earle, since there's another one later that I know I'll be using.  Oh well; I can't find any others I like better than this.

And here's Cry Baby Cry ...#25 on the Binky Beatles Hit List!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

And here's Cry Baby Cry ...#25 on the Binky Beatles Hit List!!!

I’m not kidding that when posting that I thought, “Well at least Binky will be happy it’s not a George song.”  :lmao: 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krista4 said:

What the heck - I could've sworn it was Tim.  I'm pretty sure he came at Tim in that thread as well, but maybe with slightly different context.

It was one of those things you read through and think "This can't possibly be real, can it?"

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

I think krista and I are far apart on the White Album “filler”

same here ... all good though. 

• Like 2

I agree and disagree, forcefully.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, krista4 said:

98.  Come Together (Abbey Road, 1969)

Hate this song.

• Like 4

I think we're going to get a similar love /hate thing with Taxman also.

• Thinking 1

1 minute ago, shuke said:

Hate this song.

If you play it backwards you can hear John saying "Black Ice is real"

• Like 6
  • Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I think we're going to get a similar love /hate thing with Taxman also.

Really?  Had no idea anyone would hate that.

12 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Hold you in his armchair
You can feel his disease

Is this right?

I have major breaking news.

ANNOUNCE:

After years of refusing to name a tenth top 10 song, Mr. krista declared to me tonight, unprompted, that he had chosen a tenth favorite and that it might even be higher than tenth.

That song is, shockingly:  “In My Life.”

• Like 3

Was going to post another selection tonight but drinking instead.  Will post six tomorrow.  After those six, there’s a moderately bright dividing line before the next group.

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Was going to post another selection tonight but drinking instead.  Will post six tomorrow.  After those six, there’s a moderately bright dividing line before the next group.

Crap, I went out drinking tonight and just got home hoping for some more songs.  :squeelslikeapig:

• Laughing 1

Pardon me for the repeat, but this teenage girl wowed me onto the Ringo is great plane, even (especially) the song Come Together

ETA: The takeaway here is, it's easy to overlook the individual contributions when you're lazy.

Edited by Mister CIA
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I have major breaking news.

ANNOUNCE:

After years of refusing to name a tenth top 10 song, Mr. krista declared to me tonight, unprompted, that he had chosen a tenth favorite and that it might even be higher than tenth.

That song is, shockingly:  “In My Life.”

That is shockingly.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

9 hours ago, shuke said:

Hold you in his armchair
You can feel his disease

Is this right?

Yes.   Most likely just gobbledy#### from John but some Beatles fans believe that verse is referring to his addiction to heroin.

ETA:  I didn't realize that Gee-oh-oh-kay would be filtered out.   

Edited by Godsbrother

11 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Yes.   Most likely just gobbledy#### from John but some Beatles fans believe that verse is referring to his addiction to heroin.

ETA:  I didn't realize that Gee-oh-oh-kay would be filtered out.   

Racial slur imo.