Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, The Future Champs said:

I feel the same way.   More than 100 songs and 40 pages into the thread, and now she lets us know she’s just trolling us.  That’s a serious long game, IMO.

:violin:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not offended by the placement of Penny Lane at all. Love it of course but....this is the Beatles catalog. It’s not like a bunch of crap is coming up next.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly not a huge, huge fan of the song. It's okay, but well...I always got a hint of Ray and Dave Davies' sarcasm in it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

:lmao: I should have noted in my write-up that this lower ranking is not due to its popularity, btw.

No I get it.

But listen, I've thought long about this. I'm going back to my wife.  No,  no.  It's the right thing. It will be ok.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

No I get it.

But listen, I've thought long about this. I'm going back to my wife.  No,  no.  It's the right thing. It will be ok.

I’ve barely had time to mourn my breakups with Tanner and Norwood, and now this?  I need some time.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, krista4 said:
34 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

No I get it.

But listen, I've thought long about this. I'm going back to my wife.  No,  no.  It's the right thing. It will be ok.

I’ve barely had time to mourn my breakups with Tanner and Norwood, and now this?  I need some time.

OK, I'm over it.  Next pick coming.  It's not going to get any easier.

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not you.................*sigh*....................It's John, Paul, George & Ringo

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

85.  This Boy (single, 1963)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Glorious harmonies on the verses broken up with that sizzling John vocal on the middle eight.  NufcedTM.

Mr. krista:  "That’s good.  Not my favorite.  It’s a’ight. The probably had to have a slow number for the dances."

Suggested cover:  No one can do those harmonies the way the Beatles did, but I'll post Sean Lennon, Rufus Wainwright, and Robert Schwartzman just because it's nice seeing Sean do that solo (though Rufus could have done it better).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, krista4 said:

85.  This Boy (single, 1963)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Glorious harmonies on the verses broken up with that sizzling John vocal on the middle eight.  NufcedTM.

Mr. krista:  "That’s good.  Not my favorite.  It’s a’ight. The probably had to have a slow number for the dances."

Suggested cover:  No one can do those harmonies the way the Beatles did, but I'll post Sean Lennon, Rufus Wainwright, and Robert Schwartzman just because it's nice seeing Sean do that solo (though Rufus could have done it better).

It’s time for one of my favorite Beatle TV clips - their appearenace on the Morecombe and Wise show from February 1963 (also featured in the Anthology series/album).  This Boy led off the set which is why I’m posting it here.

i love everything about this appearance- the British humor, the self-deprecation, the random, flustered Gerry & the Pacemakers deference, John’s dirty joke at the end.  Overwhelming evidence that these four lads from Liverpool were so much more than just a rock & roll group.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

It’s time for one of my favorite Beatle TV clips - their appearenace on the Morecombe and Wise show from February 1963 (also featured in the Anthology series/album).  This Boy led off the set which is why I’m posting it here.

i love everything about this appearance- the British humor, the self-deprecation, the random, flustered Gerry & the Pacemakers deference, John’s dirty joke at the end.  Overwhelming evidence that these four lads from Liverpool were so much more than just a rock & roll group.

I haven't watched yet, but is this the one you've been saving, that you mentioned on Super Bowl Sunday?  You alluded to a song you thought would be up soon, and I'd expected it had something to do with "Come Together," since there'd been some chatter about that earlier in the thread, but then that one came and went.

Edited by krista4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krista4 said:

I haven't watched yet, but is this the one you've been saving, that you mentioned on Super Bowl Sunday?  You alluded to a song you thought would be up soon, and I'd expected it had something to do with "Come Together," since there'd been some chatter about that earlier in the thread, but then that one came and went.

This is the one.  Wasn’t sure if This Boy would crack the top half or not but if it did, I figured it would be back half of the top 100.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

This is the one.  Wasn’t sure if This Boy would crack the top half or not but if it did, I figured it would be back half of the top 100.

Excellent prediction.  It was actually lower than #85 for a time because it's not my preferred style of music, but those harmonies are irresistible.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

It’s time for one of my favorite Beatle TV clips - their appearenace on the Morecombe and Wise show from February 1963 (also featured in the Anthology series/album).  This Boy led off the set which is why I’m posting it here.

i love everything about this appearance- the British humor, the self-deprecation, the random, flustered Gerry & the Pacemakers deference, John’s dirty joke at the end.  Overwhelming evidence that these four lads from Liverpool were so much more than just a rock & roll group.

56 years old in 5 days. Love watching all the old stuff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, krista4 said:

86.  Penny Lane (single, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

:scared: 

From the beginning, I knew that this would be one of two absolutely beloved songs that I don't dig as much as other people do (little did I know The Fool on the Hill was a third), and that it would rank on my list much lower than it would be on any list of "best" Beatles songs.  Of course I love the song, or it wouldn't be this high, but it clearly doesn't connect with me the way it does for most other people.  The best explanation I have is that, as I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, I mostly don't get nostalgia as a concept.  And if I look at this in comparison to the "nostalgia" of the other a-side of the same single, "Strawberry Fields Forever," I prefer the slight angst of the latter to the idyllic descriptions of this one.  It's sweet and lovely, but I must like the edgier parts of life.

There's a lot I love about this song, though.  It is perfectly polished and clean, and it lilts in a way that puts a smile on my face.  Love that piccolo trumpet.  If some of John's lyrics can read like poetry, I think this song shows that Paul can do the same; I especially love the opening line:  Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs, of every head he's had the pleasure to know.  That's lovely imagery.  And I'm very taken with the rises and falls and especially the way the refrains rise back into the verses.  I even enjoy the modulation near the end, which is a device I'm not usually keen on.  There's nothing I would change about this song; as it is it's a perfect love letter to where they grew up.  Most days, though, there are just ~85 songs I'd rather listen to. 

I'm sure others here could do a better job of detailing what's great about the song.  So instead of saying, "top 10 for me!!!111" let us know what you love about it, too.  :) 

Mr. krista:  "You could take all the songs from the last four records and make a nifty musical, and I won’t give a #### about any of them."  [NOTE:  I don't remember what he was talking about here.]

Suggested cover:  Elvis Costello

 

Just catching up. 

Penny Lane lends itself perfectly to those growing old wishing for a more idyllic world, or reminiscing.  Could not have given two ####s about this tune when I was 14.  It cracks my top 50, but no quibbles here.

Edited by Mister CIA
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

It’s time for one of my favorite Beatle TV clips - their appearenace on the Morecombe and Wise show from February 1963 (also featured in the Anthology series/album).  This Boy led off the set which is why I’m posting it here.

i love everything about this appearance- the British humor, the self-deprecation, the random, flustered Gerry & the Pacemakers deference, John’s dirty joke at the end.  Overwhelming evidence that these four lads from Liverpool were so much more than just a rock & roll group.

Wow - GREAT pull ...I have never seen this.  Love it.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

84.  Love You To (Revolver, 1966)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

My favorite of the George classical Indian songs, at least today - as mentioned previously, you could make an argument for any of the three.  I do wish this song were longer, because too soon after it seems to get going it builds and builds into...an unexpected conclusion.  This starts off with such a powerful sitar part, telling you right away that it's not going to be simple pop music and that you are listening to something different than you'd ever heard before.  Love the boldness of that and of having such a long instrumental intro.  That long intro leading into the loud tablas and strumming guitar at ~0:35 is mesmerizing and energizing.  Can only imagine being a teenybopper in 1966 putting the new Beatles record on and wondering WTF was this all about.  But somehow in this one George also manages to keep a pop vibe, integrating the sitar and the droning Eastern influence with a structure that (after the intro) is familiar in pop music, a lovely melody and vocal, and lyrics that could fit as well in a pop love song.  All of this gives the song such a deep, lush texture.  

Mr. krista:  "This is a rare example where I wish the song were longer.  That time signature where the melody seems one note off, and it needs time to develop. Then when I was starting to understand it, it sped up and fades out in a pop format.  The point of that music is almost like hypnosis, the transcendental quality of music, it needs time to develop.  It’s a neat experiment and really bold and courageous.  But making it into a pop song doesn’t work."

Suggested covers: In the category of "at least they tried," The Trypes  Bongwater

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Getzlaf15, I wasn't sure from your post...when are you planning to start your "FBG consensus" countdown?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just catching up for the day and see Love You To listed already.  Love the song.  It may be one of the coolest mood songs by the Beatles.  But, I get it being ranked at 84.  It's missing some real song melody and structure of most Beatles songs.  

But, Penny freaking Lane at 86!   That is just crazy talk.  It is almost a perfect song.  Not sure what is going on here but is isn't anything good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, krista4 said:

@Getzlaf15, I wasn't sure from your post...when are you planning to start your "FBG consensus" countdown?

still thinking your #25.  Might start earlier if 100% of your remaining songs have been selected at least once on the Composite.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

still thinking your #25.  Might start earlier if 100% of your remaining songs have been selected at least once on the Composite.

Thanks to @rockaction, pretty sure we are down to three songs that are not on the composite that you have yet to rank.  He knocked off five by himself the other day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Thanks to @rockaction, pretty sure we are down to three songs that are not on the composite that you have yet to rank.  He knocked off five by himself the other day.

How does it work? We only have three left that she hasn't ranked?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rockaction said:

How does it work? We only have three left that she hasn't ranked?  

She has 83 songs left to rank.   I only have 80 songs on the composite she hasn't ranked.   Two songs she ranked today are not on the composite rankings. We were at five this morning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is what I'm doing good or bad?  :lmao: 

I still don't understand. The composite is the concatenated aggregate of everyone's top 25? In other words, every song? And how do they get knocked off?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

So is what I'm doing good or bad?  :lmao:  yes

I still don't understand. The composite is the concatenated aggregate of everyone's top 25?   YES  and ..... do you really talk like that to people in real life?  LOL 

 In other words, every song?  NO, 133 right now. 

And how do they get knocked off?  When Krista ranks a song that is not one of the 133.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

 

:thanks:           :lmao: about "concatenated.aggregate"

I still have no clue what's going on and I see a song I picked I'll think "cool." I'll just stick to the countdown. Thanks, man.  

Edited by rockaction
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

83.  Getting Better (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I'm a fan of these songs where John and Paul contribute distinctive parts that you can identify as being theirs alone.  I'm a fan of the stabby guitars (reminiscent of "She's a Woman" and "Taxman"), the bass that comes in just a little early on every beat, and those slightly off-key harmonies. The best part of this, though, is how the edgy John parts cut through the hopeful Paul parts to showcase the differences in their personalities.  It feels like a true "Beatles" song instead of a Paul or John song.

The Paul part of the song is characteristically optimistic and - Martha the sheepdog alert! - came to him when he was out walking his dog and recalled Jimmy Nicol, their short-term fill-in drummer while Ringo was ill during their 1964 tour.  Any time someone asked Jimmy how it was going, he responded, "Getting better."  As a counterpoint to Paul's optimism, John chimed into the songwriting with the cynical "can't get no worse," and of course the lines about an angry young man who used to beat his women are about John as well.  I can at least admire how willing John was to admit to this, regret it, and vow that he had changed, but that he still had work to do.  In an interview not long before his murder, he described this song:  "It is a diary form of writing. All that 'I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved' was me. I used to be cruel to my woman, and physically – any woman. I was a hitter. I couldn't express myself and I hit. I fought men and I hit women. That is why I am always on about peace, you see. It is the most violent people who go for love and peace. Everything's the opposite. But I sincerely believe in love and peace. I am a violent man who has learned not to be violent and regrets his violence. I will have to be a lot older before I can face in public how I treated women as a youngster."    

Nearly tragic story associated with one of the sessions for this song:  John showed up to the session tripping on LSD, and during recording of some backing vocals indicated he wasn't feeling well.  George Martin, perhaps purposefully naive to the drug use going on at the time, thought John might have eaten something bad and took him up to the roof for some air.  A while later, Martin returned to the control room alone, having left John on the roof to look at the stars.  A few seconds later, the rest of the group realized what was going on and made a mad dash to the roof to rescue John, who was tripping on a narrow parapet 30 feet above the street below.  Whew.

Mr. krista:  "I’m not sure I like it, but I do like that it’s a seemingly bouncy, cheerful song that comes from a bunch of instruments playing one note.  It’s all staccato – plank, plank, plank-plank.  You could beat that melody out on a tin can.  How did they figure out it was going to make that kind of song? I like that song a lot more now."

Suggested cover:  Gomez

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about, too.  :lmao:  Is "concatenated" a real word?  I'm just happy Getz is even dorkier than I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Getzlaf15 said:

still thinking your #25.  Might start earlier if 100% of your remaining songs have been selected at least once on the Composite.

This sounds good.  I was a little worried you were starting soon, which I didn't think would work very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

She has 83 songs left to rank.   I only have 80 songs on the composite she hasn't ranked.   Two songs she ranked today are not on the composite rankings. We were at five this morning.  

Three...hmmm..."Yer Blues"?  "Lovely Rita"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Now I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about, too.  :lmao:  Is "concatenated" a real word?  I'm just happy Getz is even dorkier than I am.

I had to ask my wife what it meant.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, krista4 said:
52 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

She has 83 songs left to rank.   I only have 80 songs on the composite she hasn't ranked.   Two songs she ranked today are not on the composite rankings. We were at five this morning.  

Three...hmmm..."Yer Blues"?  "Lovely Rita"?

"Mother Nature's Son"?  That song about a monkey except not really about a monkey?

I want, nay demand, to know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i used to be cruel to my woman, delete all her files of the lists that she loved....

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krista4 said:

"Mother Nature's Son"?  That song about a monkey except not really about a monkey?

I want, nay demand, to know!

:lmao::lmao::lmao::P  You'll have to wait.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Now I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about, too.  :lmao:  Is "concatenated" a real word?  I'm just happy Getz is even dorkier than I am.

Italicized: Neither do I

Bolded: Yes, it means to string together a series of things. Here's M-W

 :a group of things linked together or occurring together in a way that produces a particular result or effect

I used ta read the dictionary at my temp job studying for the GREs. I also used to rap, and that's how I would remember. 

So we cold caffeinate 

and then we concatenate

and then we roll half an eighth and then we chill...

and now I'll exit stage. left. 

eta* Be here all week. It really is Sober February, huh. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Italicized: Neither do I

Bolded: Yes, it means to string together a series of things. Here's M-W

 :a group of things linked together or occurring together in a way that produces a particular result or effect

I used ta read the dictionary at my temp job studying for the GREs. I also used to rap, and that's how I would remember. 

So we cold caffeinate 

and then we concatenate

and then we roll half an eighth and then we chill...

and now I'll exit stage. left. 

eta* Be here all week. It really is Sober February, huh. 

Don't go anywhere.  It might not be Friday night drunk italicized lyrics, but:

I guess everybody has their own thing
That they yell into a well

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

List #28 is in and recorded.

133 songs on the composite list.

Only 13 of the songs on the composite have been listed 14 or more times (50%).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Don't go anywhere.  It might not be Friday night drunk italicized lyrics, but:

I guess everybody has their own thing
That they yell into a well

I just looked that up. How lovely a sentiment!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I just looked that up. How lovely a sentiment!  

Love that song.  Such a perfect encapsulation of the creative process.  It made me think of both you and wikkid, actually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Penny Lane and Getting Better are cheerful happy songs. The Velvet Underground would never have sung them. But Lou Reed would have easily sang “She said, I know what it’s like to be dead”, wouldn’t he? 

I think I see where you’re headed with this list...

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Penny Lane and Getting Better are cheerful happy songs. The Velvet Underground would never have sung them. But Lou Reed would have easily sang “She said, I know what it’s like to be dead”, wouldn’t he? 

I think I see where you’re headed with this list...

:lmao:  You got me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, krista4 said:

I’ve barely had time to mourn my breakups with Tanner and Norwood...

I get the cats every other weekend and 3 of the houses.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I get the cats every other weekend and 3 of the houses.

As long as I get the naan oven and your timschochet alias, it's a deal.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, krista4 said:

86.  Penny Lane (single, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

:scared: 

From the beginning, I knew that this would be one of two absolutely beloved songs that I don't dig as much as other people do (little did I know The Fool on the Hill was a third), and that it would rank on my list much lower than it would be on any list of "best" Beatles songs.  Of course I love the song, or it wouldn't be this high, but it clearly doesn't connect with me the way it does for most other people.  The best explanation I have is that, as I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, I mostly don't get nostalgia as a concept.  And if I look at this in comparison to the "nostalgia" of the other a-side of the same single, "Strawberry Fields Forever," I prefer the slight angst of the latter to the idyllic descriptions of this one.  It's sweet and lovely, but I must like the edgier parts of life.

There's a lot I love about this song, though.  It is perfectly polished and clean, and it lilts in a way that puts a smile on my face.  Love that piccolo trumpet.  If some of John's lyrics can read like poetry, I think this song shows that Paul can do the same; I especially love the opening line:  Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs, of every head he's had the pleasure to know.  That's lovely imagery.  And I'm very taken with the rises and falls and especially the way the refrains rise back into the verses.  I even enjoy the modulation near the end, which is a device I'm not usually keen on.  There's nothing I would change about this song; as it is it's a perfect love letter to where they grew up.  Most days, though, there are just ~85 songs I'd rather listen to. 

I'm sure others here could do a better job of detailing what's great about the song.  So instead of saying, "top 10 for me!!!111" let us know what you love about it, too.  :) 

Mr. krista:  "You could take all the songs from the last four records and make a nifty musical, and I won’t give a #### about any of them."  [NOTE:  I don't remember what he was talking about here.]

Suggested cover:  Elvis Costello

 

 I was 8 years old when this song came out and it instantly became my favorite song and I bugged my mom to take me to the record store to buy it.  The funny thing is the original US mono single played on the radio at that time had a trumpet ending which was mixed out for the stereo version and all subsequent releases .   To this day every time I hear the song my brain adds the trumpet notes at the end.

Here it is if you're interested but I warn you that once you hear it you'll be waiting for it anytime you hear Penny Lane

 

 

Edited by Godsbrother
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

 I was 8 years old when this song came out and it instantly became my favorite song and I bugged my mom to take me to the record store to buy it.  The funny thing is the original US mono single played on the radio at that time had a trumpet ending which was mixed out for the stereo version and all subsequent releases .   To this day every time I hear the song my brain adds the trumpet notes at the end.

Here it is if you're interested but I warn you that once you hear it you'll be waiting for it anytime you hear Penny Lane

 

 

That’s interesting. I’ve never heard that. 

Edited by Nigel Tufnel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, krista4 said:

83.  Getting Better (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I'm a fan of these songs where John and Paul contribute distinctive parts that you can identify as being theirs alone.  I'm a fan of the stabby guitars (reminiscent of "She's a Woman" and "Taxman"), the bass that comes in just a little early on every beat, and those slightly off-key harmonies. The best part of this, though, is how the edgy John parts cut through the hopeful Paul parts to showcase the differences in their personalities.  It feels like a true "Beatles" song instead of a Paul or John song.

The Paul part of the song is characteristically optimistic and - Martha the sheepdog alert! - came to him when he was out walking his dog and recalled Jimmy Nicol, their short-term fill-in drummer while Ringo was ill during their 1964 tour.  Any time someone asked Jimmy how it was going, he responded, "Getting better."  As a counterpoint to Paul's optimism, John chimed into the songwriting with the cynical "can't get no worse," and of course the lines about an angry young man who used to beat his women are about John as well.  I can at least admire how willing John was to admit to this, regret it, and vow that he had changed, but that he still had work to do.  In an interview not long before his murder, he described this song:  "It is a diary form of writing. All that 'I used to be cruel to my woman, I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved' was me. I used to be cruel to my woman, and physically – any woman. I was a hitter. I couldn't express myself and I hit. I fought men and I hit women. That is why I am always on about peace, you see. It is the most violent people who go for love and peace. Everything's the opposite. But I sincerely believe in love and peace. I am a violent man who has learned not to be violent and regrets his violence. I will have to be a lot older before I can face in public how I treated women as a youngster."    

Nearly tragic story associated with one of the sessions for this song:  John showed up to the session tripping on LSD, and during recording of some backing vocals indicated he wasn't feeling well.  George Martin, perhaps purposefully naive to the drug use going on at the time, thought John might have eaten something bad and took him up to the roof for some air.  A while later, Martin returned to the control room alone, having left John on the roof to look at the stars.  A few seconds later, the rest of the group realized what was going on and made a mad dash to the roof to rescue John, who was tripping on a narrow parapet 30 feet above the street below.  Whew.

Mr. krista:  "I’m not sure I like it, but I do like that it’s a seemingly bouncy, cheerful song that comes from a bunch of instruments playing one note.  It’s all staccato – plank, plank, plank-plank.  You could beat that melody out on a tin can.  How did they figure out it was going to make that kind of song? I like that song a lot more now."

Suggested cover:  Gomez

This is a good song, and Krista's ranking is pretty much where I would have it.  I love all of the songs that have Paul's cheerfulness counterbalanced by John's cynicism.  My favorite example of that is "We Can Work it Out," which is in my top 25.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.