What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (3 Viewers)

@zamboni said I should post what would piss the most people off.  Unfortunately the next one I had listed is in the top 10 of both zamboni and @Mister CIA, so I guess I'm doing my job.  Sorry.   :lol:   

81.  If I Needed Someone (Rubber Soul, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Having sat in on a recording session of The Byrds in August 1965, George was inspired to write this song by Roger McGuinn's 12-string riffs on "The Bells Of Rhymney."  McGuinn had in turn been inspired by...The Beatles, including George's 12-string Rickenbacker work on A Hard Day's Night:  "I first saw The Beatles on television in 1963, in New York. It was the clip with all the screaming girls. I loved the music! I got it right away and started playing folk songs with a Beatle beat down in Greenwich Village."  

This song has such an amazing groove, starting with that dreamy opening riff.  George's guitar work throughout is just brilliant, and those harmonies, sung off-the-beat or syncopated as most of the melody is, are not just gorgeous but due to the off-beat timing seem to drive the song along, increasing the tension and leading in and out of the bridge.  I love the bridge's upbeat tempo and tambourines, giving it just enough of a different texture to feel satisfying but not interfere with the song's smooth groove as a whole.  I often feel like George's songs, more than any other Beatle's, should be longer.  There's so much complexity and texture in sometimes seemingly straightforward packages that I'd like to have heard them given even more time to develop.

This is one where it's worth mentioning how wonderful the lyrics are, too.  As you might have figured out by now, I'm not much of a traditional romantic, so the "I love you"s don't do it for me in love songs.  The genius in these lyrics is how hypothetical, conditional, and non-comital they are - check out the "if" and "I guess" and "maybe"s here, but then with the bold declaration of being "too much in love":

If I needed someone to love
You're the one that I'd be thinking of
If I needed someone

If I had some more time to spend
Then I guess I'd be with you my friend
If I needed someone
Had you come some other day
Then it might not have been like this
But you see now I'm too much in love

Carve your number on my wall
And maybe you will get a call from me
If I needed someone

Mr. krista:  "It’s such a good jam.  His songs are so dreamy.  It produces such interesting sonic experiments.  Like that jangly 12-string, it starts turning up across the world in other songs.  Such an expressive guitar player."

Suggested cover:  James Taylor  (I'm not posting the cover by The Hollies, which reached #20 on the charts, because George himself didn't care for it.)
number mother ####### 7 on the Binky Beatles Hit List!!!!

A couple of songs that are all about the vocals, but recorded six years and a lifetime apart.

78.  Twist and Shout (Please Please Me, 1963)

Beatles version:  Spotify YouTube

It's our last cover song!  I've probably unfairly given the covers short shrift in comparison to the other songs; I love a lot of them, but it's hard to say I love them more than Beatles originals.  Though the Beatles version of this one is based on the Isley Brothers record, the original recording of the song was actually by a band called the Top Notes.  

John's vocal on this has become legendary not just because of the quality on the record, by due to the fact that it was the last of ten songs recorded in a marathon 12+-hour in the same day!  It's nearly impossible to imagine that at this point, but the entire Please Please Merecord, minus the four songs that had come out as singles, was put to tape on the same day in February 1963.  "Twist and Shout" was left as the last song to be recorded, because, according to George Martin, he knew that the larynx-shredding vocals would torture John's voice such that he'd be destroyed for anything else.  By the time they came to the song, John was sick and his vocal chords were a mess.  He sucked on some lozenges and gargled warm milk, stripped off his shirt, and hoped that the performance would be acceptable, because doing it a second time seemed impossible (in fact a second take was made, but the first one is what is on the record).  What we hear is exactly how the Beatles recorded it, with no overdubs or other editing.  It's essentially a live performance, and it's ####### extraordinary.  John's delivery is full of raucous energy and passion and sex, and the other Beatles clearly find it exhilarating as they continually raise their energy to match John's, culminating in Paul's "Hey!' and John's howling and Ringo's.

Mr. krista: "They took a rave-up and raved it the #### up. Til Lennon’s eyeballs were bleeding. Yeah, monster rock song.  One of the great rock vocal performances on record. And one of those moments where you can tell he loses himself and sings with abandon.  Mostly that kind of combustion is what I think rock bands try to achieve.  Oh, yeah, that’s worth a 700-mile drive with no sleep with no one listening except your sound guy, but that’s why you do that.  They burned the way rock bands do."

77.  Oh! Darling (Abbey Road, 1969)

Paul was so determined to do this in a throwback style that he had Geoff Emerick record this with 50s-style tape echo and tracked his vocal directly from the speakers (rather than through headphones) to get a "live audience" quality.  The story behind the recording is equal parts sweet and sad.  Paul would come into the studio every day before the other Beatles arrived in order to record this vocal.  Day after day (alone on a hill?), he'd record a shredding version, and, according to Emerick, George Martin "would frequently announce triumphantly, 'That's it; that's the one,' but Paul would overrule him, saying 'No, it's not there yet; let's try again tomorrow."  Paul just couldn't quite get it to match what he had in his head that he wanted to hear.  But unlike prior songs, he would never sing it in front of the others, nor did he play any recordings of it to seek their input, perhaps because at that point he didn't want to hear their negative remarks.  It tells us how bad the vibe was among the band at that point, and I hate picturing Paul on his own trying over and over to get this perfect, though I admire how dedicated he was to getting it just right.  Such a contrast to the sessions for "This Boy," where you can hear Paul encouraging John that he can get that solo right.

Despite the sorta sad circumstances, he delivered, though.  Maybe he wasn't used to these blistering vocals by this time - it was a long time after his "Kansas City" or "Long Tall Sally" days - but he pulled it off.  Even John complimented this song, though he let it be known he wished he could have done that vocal instead and that he would have done it better as it was more in his style.

Mr. krista:  "It’s very very good.  Very heavy.  Good heavy blues doo-*** stuff.  The breakdown…[sings the doodoodoo]…is in a lot of rock songs.  Fats Domino type song.  The vocals are great.  It’s the best you ever hear Paul, really belting it out a bit."

Suggested cover:  Florence + the Machine

79.  Any Time At All (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

This one, too!
When I don't know what you're talking about, it's usually because you've used a word I don't know.  In this case, I know the word "coincide," but not in this context.  What do you mean?  (At least it seems to be a good thing.)

Speaking of the White Album (well, Bobby was earlier), just as I boldly predicted that "Penny Lane" and a song not yet posted would cause the most "OMG it's too low!!!1111" consternation, I'll equally boldly predict that I have two songs from the White Album that will cause the most "OMG it's too high!!!1111" outrage.  So there.

A couple of songs that are all about the vocals, but recorded six years and a lifetime apart.

Beatles version:  Spotify YouTube

It's our last cover song!  I've probably unfairly given the covers short shrift in comparison to the other songs; I love a lot of them, but it's hard to say I love them more than Beatles originals.  Though the Beatles version of this one is based on the Isley Brothers record, the original recording of the song was actually by a band called the Top Notes.  

John's vocal on this has become legendary not just because of the quality on the record, by due to the fact that it was the last of ten songs recorded in a marathon 12+-hour in the same day!  It's nearly impossible to imagine that at this point, but the entire Please Please Merecord, minus the four songs that had come out as singles, was put to tape on the same day in February 1963.  "Twist and Shout" was left as the last song to be recorded, because, according to George Martin, he knew that the larynx-shredding vocals would torture John's voice such that he'd be destroyed for anything else.  By the time they came to the song, John was sick and his vocal chords were a mess.  He sucked on some lozenges and gargled warm milk, stripped off his shirt, and hoped that the performance would be acceptable, because doing it a second time seemed impossible (in fact a second take was made, but the first one is what is on the record).  What we hear is exactly how the Beatles recorded it, with no overdubs or other editing.  It's essentially a live performance, and it's ####### extraordinary.  John's delivery is full of raucous energy and passion and sex, and the other Beatles clearly find it exhilarating as they continually raise their energy to match John's, culminating in Paul's "Hey!' and John's howling and Ringo's.

Mr. krista: "They took a rave-up and raved it the #### up. Til Lennon’s eyeballs were bleeding. Yeah, monster rock song.  One of the great rock vocal performances on record. And one of those moments where you can tell he loses himself and sings with abandon.  Mostly that kind of combustion is what I think rock bands try to achieve.  Oh, yeah, that’s worth a 700-mile drive with no sleep with no one listening except your sound guy, but that’s why you do that.  They burned the way rock bands do."

Paul was so determined to do this in a throwback style that he had Geoff Emerick record this with 50s-style tape echo and tracked his vocal directly from the speakers (rather than through headphones) to get a "live audience" quality.  The story behind the recording is equal parts sweet and sad.  Paul would come into the studio every day before the other Beatles arrived in order to record this vocal.  Day after day (alone on a hill?), he'd record a shredding version, and, according to Emerick, George Martin "would frequently announce triumphantly, 'That's it; that's the one,' but Paul would overrule him, saying 'No, it's not there yet; let's try again tomorrow."  Paul just couldn't quite get it to match what he had in his head that he wanted to hear.  But unlike prior songs, he would never sing it in front of the others, nor did he play any recordings of it to seek their input, perhaps because at that point he didn't want to hear their negative remarks.  It tells us how bad the vibe was among the band at that point, and I hate picturing Paul on his own trying over and over to get this perfect, though I admire how dedicated he was to getting it just right.  Such a contrast to the sessions for "This Boy," where you can hear Paul encouraging John that he can get that solo right.

Despite the sorta sad circumstances, he delivered, though.  Maybe he wasn't used to these blistering vocals by this time - it was a long time after his "Kansas City" or "Long Tall Sally" days - but he pulled it off.  Even John complimented this song, though he let it be known he wished he could have done that vocal instead and that he would have done it better as it was more in his style.

Mr. krista:  "It’s very very good.  Very heavy.  Good heavy blues doo-*** stuff.  The breakdown…[sings the doodoodoo]…is in a lot of rock songs.  Fats Domino type song.  The vocals are great.  It’s the best you ever hear Paul, really belting it out a bit."

Suggested cover:  Florence + the Machine
Maybe the fist 2 songs that made stand up and say "hey thats great stuff" 

When I don't know what you're talking about, it's usually because you've used a word I don't know.  In this case, I know the word "coincide," but not in this context.  What do you mean?  (At least it seems to be a good thing.)
No, I used it in the wrong context, but at least I knew was, which doesn't acquit me but softens the blow.

I meant that you picked a song I had in my top twenty-five for the first time this draft! 

No, I used it in the wrong context, but at least I knew was, which doesn't acquit me but softens the blow.

I meant that you picked a song I had in my top twenty-five for the first time this draft! 
Oh no!!  Well, it had to happen, I guess.  I'm happy to hear someone else loving those songs, though.  I had I'm a Loser quite a bit higher, like 25 slots up, until today.   :lol:  

Speaking of the White Album (well, Bobby was earlier), just as I boldly predicted that "Penny Lane" and a song not yet posted would cause the most "OMG it's too low!!!1111" consternation, I'll equally boldly predict that I have two songs from the White Album that will cause the most "OMG it's too high!!!1111" outrage.  So there.
Twist & Shout at 78 disturbs me a lot more than Penny Lane at 86.  But I'm self aware enough to realize that the Ferris Bueller's scene alone probably causes me to overrate Twist & Shout by at least 25 slots.

Mmmm.  I wanted to let the If I Needed Someone ranking slide.  And then this!  Wish I could link to YouTube clip of Todd Margaret giving Dave a stern warning.

Mmmm.  I wanted to let the If I Needed Someone ranking slide.  And then this!  Wish I could link to YouTube clip of Todd Margaret giving Dave a stern warning.
I just looked back at your top 17.  With the exceptions of "If I Needed Someone" and three others, I think you'll be fairly ok with my rankings.  But if you want to break up with me now, too, I can take it.  

nothing can be as bad as rock. He listed the same song at 7 and 16.  And left off #5.   And added 11 new songs no one had selected before him.
If by "bad" you mean awesome, then yes!

C'mon guys, with only three more songs you all could have named a full 2/3 of the 204 songs to your top 25.  You can do it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If by "bad" you mean awesome, then yes!

C'mon guys, with only three more songs you all could have named a full 2/3 of the 204 songs to your top 25.  You can do it!!!
I just got in from work and beers today.   Two lists in in box.  We will see....    I think we are down to 2 songs....  you guessed one right initially.

LOL.... Gr00vus left a list of just 22.  This is going throw off all my math.
Oh yeah, he posted that he only gave over 22.  I didn't think it was a problem but forgot about the maths.  @Gr00vus, can you throw three more in there?  You can just choose some weird #### so that we can get to 136.   :)  

I fear I might hit another rockfavorite with this.

76.  It Won't Be Long (With the Beatles, 1963)

Like "Any Time At All," this one starts with urgent solo shouts from John, but in this case the backing vocals jump in quickly to add some "yeah yeah yeah"s reminiscent of a less joyous "She Loves You."  Like "Please Please Me," the song featured some wordplay that Paul identified as the highlight of the songwriting, with the double meaning of "be long until I belong to you."  This song was intended to be the Beatles next single after the recorded-but-not-yet-released "She Loves You," but it ended up losing out to "I Want to Hold Your Hand."  Nothing to be ashamed of there.  

Love that blast start here, and I'm a sucker for a good call-and-response, so love the "yeah" "yeah" back and forth that follows.  The descending chords in the bridge(s) make me swoon.  This song perfectly fit the bill of the "potboiler" that George Martin always wanted to start an album.  I initially had this marked in my third tier and noted it was "messy," but over the course of this project it kept moving up the list once I realized that the messiness was part of the point.  The urgency, the messiness, the excitement combined with a smidge of terror...it all sums up the best and worst of relationships.

Mr. krista:  "This song really rocks.  That’s a burner of an opening track.  It just rips.  What the #### else do you want from a rock song."

Suggested cover:  If you don't like Richard Thompson, you're dead to me.

With the Beatles only has one song not posted yet.   :shock:   However, it won't be the first album off the board...gonna take a while to get to that last song.

Best Eels song https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NQwsiIlIfH8

I call this style “21st Century White Dude Blues”
That's one of my favorite songs of the last 10 years.  Seriously, what is it about that song?  Just does it for me.  The only problem is I can't get it out of my head for days after listening.

ETA:  Had to double-check after posting to make sure it was actually released in the last 10 years.  In under the wire!

Last edited by a moderator:
This compilation came out in 1973 & I literally wore the grooves out. Had a ton of Beatles 45s, and in the house we had:

Help! / Hard Day’s Night / Rubber Soul / Revolver / SPLHCB / MMT / The White Album / Yellow Submarine / Abbey Road / Let It Be

The issue was those all belonged to my three siblings. Which meant asking permission. Which sucks when you’re the youngest. 

:lol:

The blue album (1967-1970) was mine. I didn’t like to share it. Because I was the baby of the family. If you know, you know.

In sixth grade I went on a “date” for the first time, which meant we sat together at the football games. Sixth grade is also the first time I kissed a girl - months after I started “dating”...I was kinda slow haha.

I’m 100% sure “Penny Lane” was playing, irrefutable proof it’s the #3 Beatles song of all-time.
Yeah, the “Blue” and “Red” albums were my intro to the Beatles.  My older siblings (6, 8, and 9 years older)were in grade school during the Beatle era so we didn’t have many of the original albums around the house. IIRC, we had Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road.  I had to scavenge most everything else when I got older.

But the red and blue compilations were money for sure.

I was 8 years old when this song came out and it instantly became my favorite song and I bugged my mom to take me to the record store to buy it.  The funny thing is the original US mono single played on the radio at that time had a trumpet ending which was mixed out for the stereo version and all subsequent releases .   To this day every time I hear the song my brain adds the trumpet notes at the end.

Here it is if you're interested but I warn you that once you hear it you'll be waiting for it anytime you hear Penny Lane
Are you sure this is true?  I'm pretty sure the cassette I had in the 80's had this ending.

I forgot to mention that one of my criteria in ranking songs is how well I can loudly sing the harmonies.  I have an alto voice, so songs in that range are preferred.

I've decided that I have an 18-way tie for #75.

I love how unhinged John sounds during T&S. It feels very rock and roll. 
I know I keep harping on it but the vocals on T&S are what I imagine one would hear most of the time during the Hamburg era.

Some people wish they could have seen the Beatles at Shea, some wish they could have been on the rooftop 1969, maybe even the Cavern Club circus 1962...

For me it would be at the Top Ten or Star-Club 61-62.

Users who are viewing this thread