Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

3 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

This compilation came out in 1973 & I literally wore the grooves out. Had a ton of Beatles 45s, and in the house we had:

Help! / Hard Day’s Night / Rubber Soul / Revolver / SPLHCB / MMT / The White Album / Yellow Submarine / Abbey Road / Let It Be

The issue was those all belonged to my three siblings. Which meant asking permission. Which sucks when you’re the youngest. 

:lol:

The blue album (1967-1970) was mine. I didn’t like to share it. Because I was the baby of the family. If you know, you know.

In sixth grade I went on a “date” for the first time, which meant we sat together at the football games. Sixth grade is also the first time I kissed a girl - months after I started “dating”...I was kinda slow haha.

I’m 100% sure “Penny Lane” was playing, irrefutable proof it’s the #3 Beatles song of all-time.

Yeah, the “Blue” and “Red” albums were my intro to the Beatles.  My older siblings (6, 8, and 9 years older)were in grade school during the Beatle era so we didn’t have many of the original albums around the house. IIRC, we had Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road.  I had to scavenge most everything else when I got older.

But the red and blue compilations were money for sure.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I was 8 years old when this song came out and it instantly became my favorite song and I bugged my mom to take me to the record store to buy it.  The funny thing is the original US mono single played on the radio at that time had a trumpet ending which was mixed out for the stereo version and all subsequent releases .   To this day every time I hear the song my brain adds the trumpet notes at the end.

Here it is if you're interested but I warn you that once you hear it you'll be waiting for it anytime you hear Penny Lane

Are you sure this is true?  I'm pretty sure the cassette I had in the 80's had this ending.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that one of my criteria in ranking songs is how well I can loudly sing the harmonies.  I have an alto voice, so songs in that range are preferred.

I've decided that I have an 18-way tie for #75.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

I love how unhinged John sounds during T&S. It feels very rock and roll. 

I know I keep harping on it but the vocals on T&S are what I imagine one would hear most of the time during the Hamburg era.

Some people wish they could have seen the Beatles at Shea, some wish they could have been on the rooftop 1969, maybe even the Cavern Club circus 1962...

For me it would be at the Top Ten or Star-Club 61-62.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, krista4 said:

77.  Oh! Darling (Abbey Road, 1969)

Damn, forgot about this.  Should have been in my top 25 but I'm done sending updates to Getz.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Sticking with Something as Krista's #1.

Wait...you had “She Said She Said.”

1 minute ago, krista4 said:
7 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Sticking with Something as Krista's #1.

Wait...you had “She Said She Said.”

He said he said,

Coin flip.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Have you turned in a top 25 list?

1 minute ago, krista4 said:
7 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Have you turned in a top 25 list?

Triple dog dare.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I also don’t negotiate with terrorists

My all-time favorite parenting line

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I refuse to quantify. 

has trouble counting past seven.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Yeah, the “Blue” and “Red” albums were my intro to the Beatles.  My older siblings (6, 8, and 9 years older)were in grade school during the Beatle era so we didn’t have many of the original albums around the house. IIRC, we had Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road.  I had to scavenge most everything else when I got older.

But the red and blue compilations were money for sure.

I think most people's first Beatles records were the Red and the Blue albums for about 15 years until the Beatles catalog was unified. Great bang for your buck.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, krista4 said:

I feel like I've been posting songs in the 80s for weeks.  Have I double-numbered or something?  This is excruciating.

80.  I'm a Loser (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

And yet again! I love the lyrics also, but that's not why I'm here

7 hours ago, krista4 said:

79.  Any Time At All (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

On its face it might sound like a great rock song belted out beautifully by John, and it is, but there's also a lot of other interesting stuff going on here.  There's the way John starts each chorus with a solo (other than the first chorus where Ringo lead with a whopping snare).  There's Paul's descending bass line.  There's the interesting structure, particularly notable for that time, with the bridge coming late in a chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus lineup.  And then when you get to that bridge, it's all instrumental, with Paul contributing a smashing piano solo that dialogues with the George guitar part beautifully by Paul playing up the scale and George down, until George "hands off" to Paul to finish with a flourish that mimics what George had previously been playing on the guitar.  That's kinda brilliant.  (It's possible that the instrumental was intended to have voices added later, but the song had to be rushed out as it was only started on the last day of recording for A Hard Day's Night.)  Finally, there's the double-tracking of John's vocal, which allows lines to be finished that otherwise would have run into each other in a way that would have been awkward to sing.  As a result, John is coming in to accompany himself smoothly - for instance, listen to the overdub start at ~0:27 in the first verse.   

Mr. krista:  "I like that the guitar and the piano play the same notes.  Great rocker. I like the guitar.  Really neat little trick."

Suggested covers:  Rave on, Dweezil Zappa.  Dunno about this breathy vocal:  OK Go

This is a terrific record.

It's probably the song I most wish I hadn't left out of my Top 25. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I think most people's first Beatles records were the Red and the Blue albums for about 15 years until the Beatles catalog was unified. Great bang for your buck.

Honestly, Uruk, my Uncle had saved all his (they were far from mint) and gave the original copies to me on vinyl. Years later, somebody would break into my car one night In college and smash my collection, including my precious collection. I didn't have them all, but I had like five and that was a lot then.   

9 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Honestly, Uruk, my Uncle had saved all his (they were far from mint) and gave the original copies to me on vinyl. Years later, somebody would break into my car one night In college and smash my collection, including my precious collection. I didn't have them all, but I had like five and that was a lot then.   

Yikes. That stinks. 

34 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Yikes. That stinks. 

Oh, sorry. Just looking at that story it didn't come off the way I wanted. Yeah, I was actually lucky I didn't have to use comps for five years like you referenced. That's why I sort of told the story; not for sympathy but because I was lucky to have Please Please Me, For Sale! Meet The Beatles, etc.   

• Like 1

So, #s 8 & 11 from my top 25 are gone.

I think my #22 is getting ready to leave soon based in my interpretation (read: wild-assed guess) of k4's recent, cryptic comments. Given a do-over, I would replace that one with "Anytime At All".

12 hours ago, krista4 said:

77.  Oh! Darling (Abbey Road, 1969)

Paul was so determined to do this in a throwback style that he had Geoff Emerick record this with 50s-style tape echo and tracked his vocal directly from the speakers (rather than through headphones) to get a "live audience" quality.  The story behind the recording is equal parts sweet and sad.  Paul would come into the studio every day before the other Beatles arrived in order to record this vocal.  Day after day (alone on a hill?), he'd record a shredding version, and, according to Emerick, George Martin "would frequently announce triumphantly, 'That's it; that's the one,' but Paul would overrule him, saying 'No, it's not there yet; let's try again tomorrow."  Paul just couldn't quite get it to match what he had in his head that he wanted to hear.  But unlike prior songs, he would never sing it in front of the others, nor did he play any recordings of it to seek their input, perhaps because at that point he didn't want to hear their negative remarks.  It tells us how bad the vibe was among the band at that point, and I hate picturing Paul on his own trying over and over to get this perfect, though I admire how dedicated he was to getting it just right.  Such a contrast to the sessions for "This Boy," where you can hear Paul encouraging John that he can get that solo right.

Despite the sorta sad circumstances, he delivered, though.  Maybe he wasn't used to these blistering vocals by this time - it was a long time after his "Kansas City" or "Long Tall Sally" days - but he pulled it off.  Even John complimented this song, though he let it be known he wished he could have done that vocal instead and that he would have done it better as it was more in his style.

Mr. krista:  "It’s very very good.  Very heavy.  Good heavy blues doo-wop stuff.  The breakdown…[sings the doodoodoo]…is in a lot of rock songs.  Fats Domino type song.  The vocals are great.  It’s the best you ever hear Paul, really belting it out a bit."

Suggested cover:  Florence + the Machine

My favorite song to sing along to - I do a horrific job of course.

• Laughing 1

4 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I think my #22 is getting ready to leave soon based in my interpretation (read: wild-assed guess) of k4's recent, cryptic comments. Given a do-over, I would replace that one with "Anytime At All".

8 & 10 here

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, krista4 said:

@zamboni said I should post what would piss the most people off.  Unfortunately the next one I had listed is in the top 10 of both zamboni and @Mister CIA, so I guess I'm doing my job.  Sorry.  :lol:  

81.  If I Needed Someone (Rubber Soul, 1965)

15 hours ago, krista4 said:

A couple of songs that are all about the vocals, but recorded six years and a lifetime apart.

78.  Twist and Shout (Please Please Me, 1963)

Beatles version:  Spotify YouTube

These are what made the Beatles so much more important than Stones or Zep or Floyd. Those bands would do their thing, throw big piles of 'tude & talent at you and you dug it. But the Beatles had a process that was somehow transparent, which made them as much musicologists as musicians. Endlessly curious, they'd take on all forms, any idea, but the thing that separated them from the other great bands is that, between inspiration & execution, they thought about us. That added a direct communication to art that never was and has yet to be matched.

P.S. T&S is only my 2nd actual "boo" in the countdown. WAAAAY too low, even tho a cover.

• Like 4

On 2/9/2019 at 1:45 AM, Uruk-Hai said:

Spill it.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:48 AM, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

I know it’s a cover but :jawdrop:

Ferris Bueller would like a word

You're the second person who's commented on that movie, and it never even occurred to me to think of it.  I figured with APK it was because he's a Chicago guy, but maybe it's just a guy thing generally.  I mean, I like the movie and all, but it doesn't hit my consciousness.  One of my BFFs was good friends in high school with Mia Sara, though.  

Edited by krista4

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

WAAAAY too low, even tho a cover.

:checksthreadpremiseagain:  Nah, it's good.

• Like 1

1    In My Life

2    Eleanor Rigby

3    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

4    Abbey Road Medley

5    A Day in A Life

6    She Said She Said

7    If I Needed Someone

8    Yesterday

9    Something

10  For No One

11  Strawberry Fields Forever

12  Norwegian Wood

13  She's Leaving Home

14  While My Guitar Gently Weeps

15  Penny Lane

16  I Me Mine

17  Things We Said Today

18  I'll Be Back

19  Here Comes the Sun

20  Blackbird

21  I Need You

22  Come Together

23  The Night Before

24  Hey Bulldog

25  Cry Baby Cry

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

1    In My Life

2    Eleanor Rigby

3    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

4    Abbey Road Medley

5    A Day in A Life

6    She Said She Said

7    If I Needed Someone

8    Yesterday

9    Something

10  For No One

11  Strawberry Fields Forever

12  Norwegian Wood

13  She's Leaving Home

14  While My Guitar Gently Weeps

15  Penny Lane

16  I Me Mine

17  Things We Said Today

18  I'll Be Back

19  Here Comes the Sun

20  Blackbird

21  I Need You

22  Come Together

23  The Night Before

24  Hey Bulldog

25  Cry Baby Cry

If there are any important conversations you want to have with your #17, you should probably start arranging those soon.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 5

12 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Spill it.

#22, silly. It's on Binky's list above, too.

Just now, Getzlaf15 said:

I'm going to post everyone's list after we are all done.    

Wait....what? Why?

Just now, Uruk-Hai said:

Wait....what? Why?

After krista and the composite are done, I thought I could post the lists and people can talk about them if they like.  

It's fun at this point to list the songs krista has posted , but I think we should keep the main focus on her countdown until it's over.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Getzlaf15 said:

After krista and the composite are done, I thought I could post the lists and people can talk about them if they like.  

It's fun at this point to list the songs krista has posted , but I think we should keep the main focus on her countdown until it's over.  

So this thread is all about HER now, is it? Well, I hope you enjoy ruining my next three weeks as I stay glued to this thread.

😉

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I'm going to post everyone's list after we are all done.    

yeah, sorry - I was looking to show the raw devastation.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Anyone else wanting to leave a top 25 list? I'll add it this weekend. 

I want to I’m just afraid. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

I want to I’m just afraid. 

Ship it.   The lists are all over the place, which is awesome.  

10 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

yeah, sorry - I was looking to show the raw devastation.

Yours is already out there so I think you should keep posting the havoc. We're all crying a little bit with you as krista wrecks everyone's hopes and dreams.

2 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Played at my wedding. 

I've mentioned this before....  my daughter chose this for our dance at her wedding.   

Maybe I'll fire it up at dinner tonight as we celebrate her 30th bday.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Uruk-Hai said:

Yours is already out there so I think you should keep posting the havoc. We're all crying a little bit with you as krista wrecks everyone's hopes and dreams.

Red Wedding-ish.