Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

Getz, how many Top 25s still have all of their songs not chosen?

1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Yours is already out there so I think you should keep posting the havoc. We're all crying a little bit with you as krista wrecks everyone's hopes and dreams.

It's all ready been mentioned that his list is a train wreck.  

• Like 1

Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

Red Wedding-ish.  

I feel like Robb's wife already. You must feel like his wolf.

Just now, Uruk-Hai said:

Getz, how many Top 25s still have all of their songs not chosen?

Without checking,  easily zero.  

• Like 1

I need to stop moving things around.  Just moved this one down some, but I'm going to try to freeze the rest where they are.  I fear some of you might be inadvertently (or advertently? rock, I need a word here) influencing my rankings.

Just so I can piss everyone off most efficiently; this love/hate track will be too low for some and too high for others:

75.  I Want You (She's So Heavy) (Abbey Road, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

This is the prime example in Beatledom of a song I admire more than love.  If I were to do a list of "best" songs, this would probably be in the top five.  I think everything about it is brilliant, especially the bass lines.  I also think that, among all the Beatles catalogue, this song is the one that could most likely fit right into music today.  Not saying it's a single that [insert name of popular singer right now since I am old and have no clue] would release it, but it could slide right into alternative rock.  It's just that, if I'm going to listen to Beatles music, there are 54-94 songs I'll probably put on first.

I don't feel like I'm going to do this song justice in my write-up, so I'm hoping that someone who has it in their top 10 can step in and talk about it instead.  This is my friend Jane's favorite Beatles song; maybe I should ask her.  :) 

Mr. krista:  "It’s a really good song that reminds me of Screamin’ Jay Hawkins's 'I Put a Spell on You.'  [Sings.]  Paul McCartney’s bass line is the rock star in there.  The song is such a dirge.  [Sings bass line and plays air bass.]  I like the Moog freak-out at the end.  I had a Moog app for a while and thought I could make noise music.  I couldn’t."

Suggested covers:  This makes sense:  Flaming Lips  This makes less sense:  Sarah Vaughan  Thanks, munga!:  Umphrey's McGee

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I feel like Robb's wife already. You must feel like his wolf.

yeah, locked out in the shed, being a crossbow pin cushion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

This makes less sense:  Sarah Vaughan 

Am I seeing right that she did an entire album of Beatles' songs? 

Anyway, interesting choice.

6 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Am I seeing right that she did an entire album of Beatles' songs? 

Anyway, interesting choice.

Yes, it appears so.  Some of them make more sense than this one.

6 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Unless I overlooked one, I think my top 25 is still fully intact

Have I remembered to mention lately that you're my favorite poster?

• Love 1

It took me exactly one post before I changed my mind and started moving stuff around again.  :lmao:  I'm losing my mind.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, krista4 said:

It took me exactly one post before I changed my mind and started moving stuff around again.  :lmao:  I'm losing my mind.

Of course, you know I empathize and am here for any recommendations and guidance you may need to sort through this intricate labyrinth. 

• Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Of course, you know I empathize and am here for any recommendations and guidance you may need to sort through this intricate labyrinth. 

Krista, I urge you to not go down this path. It will take your losing your mind another 100 levels deep.  

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Suggested covers:  This makes sense:  Flaming Lips  This makes less sense:  Sarah Vaughan 

Top 5 or 6 for me.  I love this cover from Umphrey's McGee recorded in Abbey Road studios.  Harmonies nerds, rejoice.  

Edited by munga30
Harmonys?
  • Thanks 1

OK, I have my next 11 songs (re-)set and am not making any more changes.  It's a snow day here so I might be posting all eleven.

74.  Eight Days a Week (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

The title to this song has been varyingly attributed by Paul to being either a Ringo-ism (as in "hard day's night") or coming from a chauffeur driving Paul out to John's place who, when asked how he was, said he was working hard, eight days a week.  The song was first intended to be a potential title song for the movie that eventually became Help!, but it was relegated to this album instead once John came up with the title song, "Help!"  My favorite part of the song is also the portion that was groundbreaking at the time:  that fade-in.  It was one of the first times (or possibly the very first time) a fade-in had been used in a pop song, and I love the way it builds the excitement around the song.  Oooooo, what's happening here?  What's going to happen next?  The way the song kicks in the vocal so dynamically after the fade-in is exhilarating, and the harmonies on the bridge and the unison singing elsewhere are infectiously happy.  Love the chiming guitars at the end!  I might usually lean toward downer songs and rock songs, but I can also love a perfectly charming pop song like this.

Mr. krista:  "Eight days a week is another great phrase.  I like all of it.  I like that it fades in.  Nothing sounds like that.  That’s neat up and down."

Suggested cover:  The Dandy Warhols

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, munga30 said:

Top 5 or 6 for me.  I love this cover from Umphrey's McGee recorded in Abbey Road studios.  Harmonies nerds, rejoice.  

Thanks for posting this.  I saw they had a cover of it, but didn't even click because I think of this band just as the band that played every damn ####ty street festival in Chicago for years.  I'll add this one to my post.  Great guitar work in particular.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, munga30 said:

had no idea I would ever see Shuke on lead vocals  - meanwhile teaming up with Adam Gase as frontmen.  

• Laughing 2

9 minutes ago, krista4 said:

OK, I have my next 11 songs (re-)set and am not making any more changes.  It's a snow day here so I might be posting all eleven.

The title to this song has been varyingly attributed by Paul to being either a Ringo-ism (as in "hard day's night") or coming from a chauffeur driving Paul out to John's place who, when asked how he was, said he was working hard, eight days a week.  The song was first intended to be a potential title song for the movie that eventually became Help!, but it was relegated to this album instead once John came up with the title song, "Help!"  My favorite part of the song is also the portion that was groundbreaking at the time:  that fade-in.  It was one of the first times (or possibly the very first time) a fade-in had been used in a pop song, and I love the way it builds the excitement around the song.  Oooooo, what's happening here?  What's going to happen next?  The way the song kicks in the vocal so dynamically after the fade-in is exhilarating, and the harmonies on the bridge and the unison singing elsewhere are infectiously happy.  Love the chiming guitars at the end!  I might usually lean toward downer songs and rock songs, but I can also love a perfectly charming pop song like this.

Mr. krista:  "Eight days a week is another great phrase.  I like all of it.  I like that it fades in.  Nothing sounds like that.  That’s neat up and down."

The Beatles were so creative with intros, especially early on when they broke damned near every mold on how a pop record was supposed to be structured.

I love this song. It didn't make my list (did I mentioned I had "Penny Lane" at #11?), but I could have put it Top 5 and been happy. They were running on the highest of octanes here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mister CIA said:

Sidebar: Has @Uruk-Hai ever shared his Top 100 AT40, from say 1968-1978?

You son of a #####.

Welp, there goes any sleep I hoped to have for the rest of my life. Be back in 3 years with a list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Sidebar: Has @Uruk-Hai ever shared his Top 100 AT40, from say 1968-1978?

You son of a #####.

Welp, there goes any sleep I hoped to have for the rest of my life. Be back in 3 years with a list.

Have fun ranking Maria Muldaur vs Bee Gees.

3 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Have fun ranking Maria Muldaur vs Bee Gees.

David Geddes is making it just for you.

Edited by Uruk-Hai

David Geddes is making it just for you.

Have a nice season ... in the sun

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, krista4 said:

You're the second person who's commented on that movie, and it never even occurred to me to think of it.  I figured with APK it was because he's a Chicago guy, but maybe it's just a guy thing generally.  I mean, I like the movie and all, but it doesn't hit my consciousness.  One of my BFFs was good friends in high school with Mia Sara, though, and I met her a few times.  Nice, smart chick and even more beautiful in person, though this was in the early 90s.  

Just to clarify, I'm not a Chicago guy.  Originally from Green Bay.   Stuck here since 2005.   Once my kids turn 18, I'm outta here.

Wait, you met Mia Sara?  More than once? And you married Mr krista instead of her?

I'm struggling with that more than any ranking so far.  Then again, Mrs APK knows that in an ideal world I'd be married to mid-career Brad Pitt.

/tangent

• Like 2

#25 for me

I'm doing an Open House IN THE SNOW the next 2.5 hours.  The other ten stat!!!!    please.

Edited by Getzlaf15
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I'm doing an Open House IN THE SNOW the next 2.5 hours.  The other ten stat!!!!    please.

Please report if anyone shows.  

3 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Please report if anyone shows.  

LOL...  I get there 25 minutes early.... and right away a couple walk in with college aged daughter.....who dated my son 3 yers ago.   Went well. Very interested, but they have a ####### agent already.

• Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

LOL...  I get there 25 minutes early.... and right away a couple walk in with college aged daughter.....who dated my son 3 yers ago.   Went well. Very interested, but they have a ####### agent already.

so the roads aren't bad?

Just now, Binky The Doormat said:

so the roads aren't bad?

no, it was like two-three inches.  They do a great job of getting on the main roads asap

73.  Girl (Rubber Soul, 1965)

It's a rare John song that John actually liked!  This goes higher or lower on my list daily based on how irritating I find the spliff-sucking sounds that particular day, but I always find them at least mildly irritating.  I've read that maybe they were supposed to be intakes of breath from love or lust for this "girl," but it doesn't make it any less irritating.  Aside from that, I love the song, and it's a favorite of my cat, The Squirrel (featured in a photo earlier in this thread), since I sing it to him substituting "Squirr-r-r-rel" for "gir-r-r-rl."  Perhaps I shouldn't have admitted that.

Moving on!  This song is hypnotic to me, with its gorgeous, languorous melody, sung by John with such longing, and some stunningly beautiful if depressing lyrics.  It's one of those songs where the lyrics take it to a new level in my estimation, from the opening plea of "Is there anybody going to listen to my story, all about the girl who came to stay?" to the descriptions of the kind of girl he's talking about.  I feel like I can exactly picture this girl from lines like...oh hell, I'm just going to copy all the lyrics here.  They're that special:

Is there anybody going to listen to my story
All about the girl who came to stay?
She's the kind of girl
You want so much it make you sorry
Still you don't regret a single day

Ah, girl, girl, girl

When I think of all the times
I tried so hard to leave her
She will turn to me and start to cry
And she promises the earth to me
And I believe her
After all this time I don't know why

Ah, girl, girl, girl

She's the kind of girl who puts you down
When friends are there
You feel a fool
When you say she's looking good
She acts as if it's understood
She's cool, ooh, oo, oo, oo
Girl, girl, girl

Was she told when she was young
That pain would lead to pleasure

Did she understand it when they said
That a man must break his back
To earn his day of leisure?
Will she still believe it when he's dead
Ah, girl, girl, girl
Girl

I find the bolded lyrics particularly evocative and poetic.  John has said the last lines I bolded were a criticism of Christianity, but I prefer to interpret them more broadly.  Another part of the song that I particularly dig is the bridge with its hammering eighth-notes; the vocal was inspired by a Beach Boys song that had "la la la"s in the bridge, but the Beatles wanted to use something else, so they substituted "dit dit dit."  Or did they?  Apparently what they really sang, to amuse themselves and trick the ever-naive George Martin, was a word that is not allowed on this family friendly site.  Rhymes with "dit."   I also love the Greek-inflected ending, which was a Paul contribution based on having heard some bouzouki music on holiday in Greece.

I feel like, when Squirrel is not around for me to sing the song to him, I just sink into this song and stay there, and it's a pleasurable place to be despite the glum lyrics.  It feels old-world and comfortable to me.  

Mr. krista:  "I really like it.  I like the changes.  I like the plink plink plink part at the end.  Songs like that are so outside of my canon that it would never occur to me to write something like that  I don’t know how they come about, but it’s so interesting that people do.  It’s like you’re dragging the name across a bowling alley floor.  Squeeeeek. But you’re right.  What are you doing?  You’re trying to write pop music, nobody will want that.  But wait, they do.  I guess I like that song because it reminds me how much I don’t ####### know.  I don’t know why that’s good.  It’s good because the Beatles are better than me at everything."

Suggested cover:   Joe Jackson does a helluva job live, and makes that part I dislike into sighs.  Rhett Miller leaves that part out entirely.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 1:10 PM, Alex P Keaton said:

Just to clarify, I'm not a Chicago guy.  Originally from Green Bay.   Stuck here since 2005.   Once my kids turn 18, I'm outta here.

I know you're a Green Bay guy in spirit, but after 15 years it's time you admit you're a Chicago guy in presence. ;) 

On 2/9/2019 at 1:37 PM, Getzlaf15 said:

Sorry for my delay.  First, I made myself a cheeseburger, which was literally the first time I have ever cooked myself a cheeseburger.  It turned out well!  Then I wrote up an entirely different song and, when auditioning covers for that song, decided I liked it too much to post it yet.  :lol: 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1

17 - The Long And Winding Road
21 - I Want You (She's So Heavy)
22 - The Fool On The Hill
25 - Oh Darling

Not sure if "Girl" would crack my top 190.   It's too ####### slow. Want to :wall:

3 hours ago, krista4 said:

:no: 

This is starting to bore me.  Probably should have waited on these top 25 lists until later. 

Edited by krista4

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

This is starting to bore me.

Would a little sitar hate help?

ETA: Except for She Said She Said, of course.

Edited by Mister CIA

14 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Not sure if "Girl" would crack my top 190.   It's too ####### slow. Want to :wall:

The Fool on the Hill definitely rocks, on the other hand.

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

The Fool on the Hill definitely rocks, on the other hand.

:goodposting:

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Would a little sitar hate help?

Maybe.  At least it would be discussion instead of people just calling out numbers.

Maybe.  At least it would be discussion instead of people just calling out numbers.

TannerMathTM strikes again.

• Like 1

Nowhere Man is top 10, amirite?

• Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Mister CIA said:

Nowhere Man is top 10, amirite?

That reminds me, I should update the title again.

In two days, you will have been at this a month. And that's just this thread. The thoroughness of your posts is beyond insanely awesome.

I've listened to the Beatles everyday since you started and I'm in great mood everyday because of that.

Thanks for doing all of this.    Can't say this enough.

Everyone, let's keep the focus on Krista the rest of the way.   We can make these "hey, i had that one ranked!" posts as I countdown the composite rankings.

• Like 10