What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (9 Viewers)

We have two more before we get to those in the top 1/3 of the rankings.  W00t!

70.  Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Suggested cover:  I know it's bad sound quality, but who TF cares:  Jimi
Sorry, quoted the wrong post lol

So yeah, lousy quality, but the backstory is awesome. SPLHCB came out two days before this, McCartney & Clapton were in the audience.

I saw your full post! (I loved it it. and I got it.)

One more Beatles song before you retire. I'm pretty much as wasted as you are. Taxman???
I got embarrassed because I thought it was too effusive, so I edited.   :bag:

Taxman would be brilliant.  

Speaking of Russian:

71.  Back in the U.S.S.R. (White Album, 1968)

By the way, why is Paul always singing about "JoJo"?
My headcanon is that "JoJo" = weed.

Anyway, BITUSSR is a fantastic throwback to Beatles-as-bar-band. They had moved far away from that by this point, but proved they could still do it better than anyone else if they wanted to.

Uruk-Hai said:
My headcanon is that "JoJo" = weed.

Anyway, BITUSSR is a fantastic throwback to Beatles-as-bar-band. They had moved far away from that by this point, but proved they could still do it better than anyone else if they wanted to.
Other than Get Back, where else does “JoJo” appear? 

Back in the USSR. Jo-Jo is always on his mind...
He’s not singing Georgia there?

I mean, are we joking about how similar it sounds to “JoJo” or are we saying Paul deliberately sang it that way to sneak in a joke? I want to lean towards the fist part, but  since we’re getting into “Paul got a bad manicure the day before xxx was recorded, which clearly effected the bass track” stuff in here, I don’t know what to think anymore, (except that this song is 30 spots too low....😉)

I mean, are we joking about how similar it sounds to “JoJo” or are we saying Paul deliberately sang it that way to sneak in a joke? I want to lean towards the fist part, but  since we’re getting into “Paul got a bad manicure the day before xxx was recorded, which clearly effected the bass track” stuff in here, I don’t know what to think anymore, (except that this song is 30 spots too low....😉)
You’re right; he’s saying Georgia.  I just think he sings Georgia as JoJo, etc.

93.  Run for Your Life (Rubber Soul, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I have never paid any attention to these lyrics before. The thing that amazes me the most is how much has changed in our world, especially these last few years. Applying today's standards and the Beatles would be banned from the airwaves for a song like this.

Hmmmm...yes you are right. That’s what I get for following the bouncing ball.

93.  Run for Your Life (Rubber Soul, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

I have never paid any attention to these lyrics before. The thing that amazes me the most is how much has changed in our world, especially these last few years. Applying today's standards and the Beatles would be banned from the airwaves for a song like this.
Have you listened to rap music recently?

67.  I'll Cry Instead (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

I'm not much of a country music fan, but I love the C&W feel of this and especially George's first-rate Carl Perkins riffs.  He starts off as expected but by ~0:30 it's like he's wandering around playing a different song than everyone else.  It's completely charming and adds loads of texture and interest to the song.  Also a big fan of John's vocal and how he cycles through every emotion, with the bridge leading (one could say "bridging") from lyrics about anger, insecurity, and retaliation into a more confident, even over-compensating, final verse:

And when you do you'd better hide all the girls
I'm gonna break their hearts all round the world
Yes, I'm gonna break them in two
And show you what your lovin' man can do
Until then I'll cry instead

For all the faux strength of the narrator at this point, though, with that last line he can't help but end back where he started.  The emotional rollercoaster ride is complete.

Mr. krista:  "Good rockabilly number.  Is everyone else stuck on a train or something?  I’d like to have to heard it with harmonies because I like how it runs through verse verse bridge verse."

Suggested cover:  Joe Cocker, with Jimmy Page on guitar

That last one slipped through the cracks in some re-arranging.  Love the song, but would actually place more like #80.  Oh well.

67.  I'll Cry Instead (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

I'm not much of a country music fan, but I love the C&W feel of this and especially George's first-rate Carl Perkins riffs.  He starts off as expected but by ~0:30 it's like he's wandering around playing a different song than everyone else.  It's completely charming and adds loads of texture and interest to the song.  Also a big fan of John's vocal and how he cycles through every emotion, with the bridge leading (one could say "bridging") from lyrics about anger, insecurity, and retaliation into a more confident, even over-compensating, final verse:

And when you do you'd better hide all the girls
I'm gonna break their hearts all round the world
Yes, I'm gonna break them in two
And show you what your lovin' man can do
Until then I'll cry instead

For all the faux strength of the narrator at this point, though, with that last line he can't help but end back where he started.  The emotional rollercoaster ride is complete.

Mr. krista:  "Good rockabilly number.  Is everyone else stuck on a train or something?  I’d like to have to heard it with harmonies because I like how it runs through verse verse bridge verse."

Suggested cover:  Joe Cocker, with Jimmy Page on guitar
George’s favorite type of music https://goo.gl/images/hz4g1L

Speaking of the White Album (well, Bobby was earlier), just as I boldly predicted that "Penny Lane" and a song not yet posted would cause the most "OMG it's too low!!!1111" consternation, I'll equally boldly predict that I have two songs from the White Album that will cause the most "OMG it's too high!!!1111" outrage.  So there.
Can’t wait.  I have some favorites on there. 

I still cant believe you’re doing this. Kudos. 

What an enjoyable way to spend a lazy Sunday morning with the temp below -30 Celsius and nowhere to go. Mrs. Punk and I continue to thank you for the effort and the ongoing discussion about your choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Krista, I have 66 songs left.  Those last two I think were it.   It is possible I might have missed one, so not guaranteeing this.

Hey Krista, I have 66 songs left.  Those last two I think were it.   It is possible I might have missed one, so not guaranteeing this.
These are the two remaining that I thought wouldn't be in anyone's top 25:  (1) Mother Nature's Son, and (2) Monkey monkey monkey firebell song.  Someone had those?  That's great!

That also means that every pick I make from 66->25 is going to piss someone off.   :lol:  

These are the two remaining that I thought wouldn't be in anyone's top 25:  (1) Mother Nature's Son, and (2) Monkey monkey monkey firebell song.  Someone had those?  That's great!

That also means that every pick I make from 66->25 is going to piss someone off.   :lol:  
every pick pisses someone off would be a good thread title.  

Those two are on seven lists total.

And with that, I'm done taking lists.

There are only six songs of Krista's final 66 that were only listed once on a Top 25 list.

We finished with 32 , Top 25 lists.

There are only six songs that were on at least 20 of the lists.  (27,26,25,23,21,20)

There are 16 songs that were on at least 16 (50%) of the lists.

Baffled by the ranking of Sgt Peppers.   It's in my top 25 and such a fun song.  I love the transition from section to section.  Ringo's drumming takes such a back seat which allows all the other stuff to happen around him.  This is the Beatles at their finest when they work together and make creative gems.   

:bye:   

Both.

It won’t piss me off though, not after the Penny Lane massacre.   Plus, I figured these two were outliers when they snuck into my top 25.

66.  Paperback Writer (single, 1966)

Might be surprising not to see this one higher, because it's a helluva jam, with memorable guitar licks, amazing bass line, and Ringo wailing fantastically on the drums.  The vocals are particularly tight and beautiful.  But...that title...those lyrics...they're just so...dumb.  The premise of the song is clever enough, written as a letter a la their previous work on "P.S. I Love You."  It's just the notion of the "paperback writer" that gets on my ever-loving nerves.  Unfortunately, the beautiful harmonies are used to sing this title over and over, and so I'll be rocking along to the song realizing the lyrics are going nowhere but thinking that's OK, and then I'm hit with that "paperback wri-i-terrrr" and I cringe.  It's just a personal quirk that no one could have predicted since this song is otherwise up my alley.  Gonna be a curveball thrown now and then.  Obviously still a big fan of the song outside of that part.        

Mr. krista:  "I think it’s a great rock song, that would work better as an instrumental because the lyrics are distractingly dumb.  Who writes a song about being a writer and makes it a giant run-on sentence?  It could just as easily be about a sanitation worker.  [singing] San-ita-tion wor-ker.  But it really rocks and the bass line is incredible.  It’s so propulsive I can’t help but really like it.  A song like that is really hard to keep time to, and Ringo crushes it."

Suggested cover:  The B-52s

Users who are viewing this thread