Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

2 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I didn't want to say sitting on the crapper.

That's between me and my gastroenterologist.  

1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

That's between me and my gastroenterologist.  

I had to find a way to get poop into a Krista thread.

11 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I had to find a way to get poop into a Krista thread.

I think krista already did that with the #86 Penny Lane pick!!!  heyyyoooooooooo!!

boom. 

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

There are videos of me playing guitar and singing two of the remaining songs, everybody prepare to get your faces rocked off when the songs appear in the countdown.

My face is ready to be rocked.

The rest of me might never rock again.  After my last post I stepped outside and noticed every male in my neighborhood shoveling snow and Ice.  It occurred to me that I live within a couple blocks of three schools, and it would be good to clear all this #### out before classes resume tomorrow (assuming they do), so I joined in the fun.  But through a combination of multiple snow events and poor decision-making, my "fun" consisted of shoveling all the snow along with a 2.5" layer of solid ice beneath it.  I can barely move my arms, and my fingers won't bend.  This will get better, right?

I was reminded that there are three kinds of neighbors:

1.  The neighbor who shovels to within an inch of the property line and no farther.

2.  The neighbor who shovels his own walkway and part of yours just to be nice.

3.  The neighbor across the street who's almost done with his driveway and asks if you want him to do yours, and when you politely decline proceeds to jabber at you until he decides to dig his car out, throwing snow back onto Neighbor #1's walkway and then getting stuck because he's from the Democratic Republic of the Congo and isn't used to driving in snow, so then you not only have to spend all your time digging him out, but afterward you have to re-shovel Neighbor #1's walkway because you feel like somehow it's your fault.

[Chicago only:  4.  The neighbor who digs his car out and then puts furniture in the spot to reserve it.]

Anyway, I have two Neighbor #1s and one Neighbor #3.  Need wine.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 3

I'm neighbor #2, but only b/c I don't want to try to pull a #1 and accidentally leave a few inches of my snow for my neighbor to clear.

It's moot anyways, as the new neighbor is #5: the guy who doesn't believe in shoveling his sidewallk.  Given that he's got a 17y.o. son, I'm kinda surprised.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Future Champs said:

I'm neighbor #2, but only b/c I don't want to try to pull a #1 and accidentally leave a few inches of my snow for my neighbor to clear.

It's moot anyways, as the new neighbor is #5: the guy who doesn't believe in shoveling his sidewallk.  Given that he's got a 17y.o. son, I'm kinda surprised.

With all the kids is this neighborhood, I was surprised no enterprising lad came and asked for an exorbitant sum to do it, which I would have happily paid.  Where is Caleb, the kid who mows my lawn without asking and then demands payment, when I need him?

Edited by krista4
  • Thinking 1

The best is a #5 who has no qualms about parking his car in one of the spots you and the #2 across the street cleared together.

..and a mailman who tromps across all the yards instead of using any sidewalks at all and leaves icy footprints behind.

All of which is offset by my prissy dachshund refusing to go into the snow at all and leaving little yellow ice slicks and poopsicles in her wake.

Paul could probably write a kickass song about this, by the way, but Krista would knock it down in the rankings when he tried to rhyme “shovel” with “JoJo”.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 2

Not needed yet this winter, but I live on a 3-house cul-de-sac.    My neighbor to my right will clear all three of our driveways (mine is long and curved) and the entire CDSac with his ride on mower with snow blade attachment.  I beg him to let me use it, but he has too much fun and won't let me.

Edited by Getzlaf15
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Not needed yet this winter, but I live on a 3-house cul-de-sac.    My nrighbor to my right will clear all three of our driveways (mine is long and curved) and the entire CDSac with his ride on mower with snow blade attachment.  I beg him to let me use it, but he has too much fun and won't let me.

I haven't had enough snow in 10 years to need to shovel.   I didn't even think we had one.  Wish we hadn't, actually.  

I'm finding it hard to type.  Will try again later.

• Laughing 1

58 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

..and a mailman who tromps across all the yards instead of using any sidewalks at all and leaves icy footprints behind.

Why do you care if the mailman leaves footprints in the snow on your lawn?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shuke said:

Why do you care if the mailman leaves footprints in the snow on your lawn?

Don’t care about the lawn at all, but he can’t get all the way to my mailbox without getting on the sidewalk, and he drags a ton of snow with him.  If he came in from the street, that wouldn’t happen. I could’ve described that better initially. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rustoleum said:

Don’t care about the lawn at all, but he can’t get all the way to my mailbox without getting on the sidewalk, and he drags a ton of snow with him.  If he came in from the street, that wouldn’t happen. I could’ve described that better initially. 

nothing snow-related is worse than fresh snow that is pressed down on cement.  When we were too lazy not to completely remove all the snow from the driveway before backing out of the garage, we ended up with those "tire-track ice patches" for a better part of the winter ...which would literally bust your balls when the shovel would catch on them ...all ####### winter long.  

• Like 3

I’m crushed. Devastated. Not that it wasn’t the #1, that was a crapshoot given all of the choices that could have been there. But its a top 20 song for sure!!! More likely a top 10 song even. 

66? Why not just make it 666? That would be a better indication of how evil this ranking is. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

I’m crushed. Devastated. Not that it wasn’t the #1, that was a crapshoot given all of the choices that could have been there. But its a top 20 song for sure!!! More likely a top 10 song even. 

66? Why not just make it 666? That would be a better indication of how evil this ranking is. 

Do you even write-up, bro?  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Did I read it? Of course I read it. 

I was just busting your chops with a meme, bro.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockaction said:

I was just busting your chops with a meme, bro.  

Bust away. I’m a beaten man. I’m going to turn on “For No One” and think of Krista...

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Bust away. I’m a beaten man. I’m going to turn on “For No One” and think of Krista...

good call on that one tim.

• Like 1

This is the worst I've been yet in terms of indecision.  Every time I write up a song I decide I love it too much to post it at #64, so I set it aside and try again.  I fall in love with every song at this point.  

So I'm going to post this song in order to lock myself in on it, and then I'm going to do the write-up.

64.  I Need You (Help!, 1965)

BRB.

1 hour ago, Binky The Doormat said:

nothing snow-related is worse than fresh snow that is pressed down on cement.  When we were too lazy not to completely remove all the snow from the driveway before backing out of the garage, we ended up with those "tire-track ice patches" for a better part of the winter ...which would literally bust your balls when the shovel would catch on them ...all ####### winter long.  

This was my problem today.  We've had two solid days of tire-track ice.  Some of it I beat with a shovel for 30 minutes and still couldn't break through.

OK, sorry, back to the Beatles.  Who probably never had to shovel snow.

(That @DaVinci Abbey Road meme had me rolling, though.)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, krista4 said:

This is the worst I've been yet in terms of indecision.  Every time I write up a song I decide I love it too much to post it at #64, so I set it aside and try again.  I fall in love with every song at this point.  

So I'm going to post this song in order to lock myself in on it, and then I'm going to do the write-up.

BRB.

another top 25 clipped.  I'm screaming on the inside.  

21   I Need You (K-rating 64)  

🚑

ETA:  medic!!!

K-Rank    Binky Rank 

81             7       If I Needed Someone

133          13       She's Leaving Home

86          15       Penny Lane

105          16       I Me Mine

140          18       I'll Be Back

64          21       I Need You

98          22       Come Together

114          23        The Night Before

94            25        Cry Baby Cry

Nerd Notes:  

•  36% of the Binky Beatles Hit List has been ripped from their mother and "eliminated"
  • a difference of 755 has been accumulated through these meager 9 songs
  • this creates an average difference of 84 spots per missed preference thus far
  • the two largest differences are 122 and 120 places  
  • if this list were a horse it would already be glue.
Edited by Binky The Doormat
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

11 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

another top 25 clipped.  I'm screaming on the inside.  

21   I Need You (K-rating 64)  

🚑

you were the only one to put this on a list.   oh, and I never changed your list.  You had this at 19.

10 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

you were the only one to put this on a list.   oh, and I never changed your list.  You had this at 19.

no problem - you had plenty of other things to do.  Clearly, I'm not a threat to finish very high.  😄    

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

This was sent on a last-minute downward trajectory.  I am so in love with George's use of the volume pedal on his 12-string Rickenbacker that I've likely had it higher on the list than where I actually rate it.  Basically I listen to this song and wait for that sound and sing a loud "wah-wah!" every time he does it.  Actually just went to the bathroom and came back out singing the "wah-wah"s, with Mr. krista complimenting me on my soulful delivery.

In addition to that highlight, the song has a lovely sorrowful melody sung with beautiful inflection by George, with his melancholy tone matched by that volume pedal. In addition to the usual fantastic harmonies, we have an unusual line-up here, with John on snare and Ringo hitting the back of an acoustic Gibson guitar for his percussion parts, plus Ringo on cowbell(!) on the middle eight, which as we know always take a song a notch up for me.  The song structure is interesting in that it follows the at-that-time typical aababa format, but with odd measures - the bridge has nine measures with the last taking down the emotion of the eighth as a compelling lead back into the verse.

George offered this for the Help! movie and had it accepted by Richard Lester, and George was apparently ecstatic about that.  In the credits to Help!, he suddenly materializes to say the words "'I Need You,' by George Harrison," presumably indicating in a droll fashion that he was happy to get the credit.

Mr. krista:  "This song freaks me out it’s so good.  Is that a chorus pedal or a volume pedal?  The song is super weird and very compelling.  It’s in a ####ed up key that I can’t identify, but the changes resolve to the relative minor of whatever that chord is, so it sounds like modal music, and that effect with the harmonic pedal or whatever it is is so strange that it sticks right out there, that it almost seems like a mistake at first, but it’s amazing.  But amazing that they did it, amazing that it worked, and amazing that someone said it was OK for the most famous band in the world to let that stay in their song.  Background harmonies are ghostly.  Would like to hear those in isolation, would sound insane."

Suggested cover:  Tom Petty

• Like 1

BREAKING NEWS

So a good friend of mine, a guy I’ve known since kiddygarden (back when the Flintstones was live), is a HUGE Beatle fan.  

Dude knows more about their music than anyone I know. He’s also a musician. Hand him a guitar or bass or drumsticks or ukulele or maracas or a piano (I know you can’t hand someone a piano) and tell him play [insert Beatle song] and he’ll do it.  

He and another dude used to play Beatle songs for free at farmers markets, street fairs etc (aside from being in a very popular local bar/cover band). Every so often some wise ### would come up and request something relatively obscure.  He’d say “hmmm...you mean this?” and then play it.

Anywho.  I posed the whole “Come Together” armchair/arms till/arms yeah question to him.  He actually said “damn, I’ve always heard it as...”

Two days later he texts me “IT’S ARMCHAIR, NO QUESTION.”

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I know there's this canon of "best" that many people follow, but I'm surprised this was only on one list.  It's a fascinating song.  Then again, I put it at #64 so I can't exactly say much.  With all the varied tastes in here I would have expected it to be on more.

And by the way, Binky, the fact I dropped this so much meant that your #17 keeps moving up instead.  :) 

6 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

BREAKING NEWS

So a good friend of mine, a guy I’ve known since kiddygarden (back when the Flintstones was live), is a HUGE Beatle fan.  

Dude knows more about their music than anyone I know. He’s also a musician. Hand him a guitar or bass or drumsticks or ukulele or maracas or a piano (I know you can’t hand someone a piano) and tell him play [insert Beatle song] and he’ll do it.  

He and another dude used to play Beatle songs for free at farmers markets, street fairs etc (aside from being in a very popular local bar/cover band). Every so often some wise ### would come up and request something relatively obscure.  He’d say “hmmm...you mean this?” and then play it.

Anywho.  I posed the whole “Come Together” armchair/arms till/arms yeah question to him.  He actually said “damn, I’ve always heard it as...”

Two days later he texts me “IT’S ARMCHAIR, NO QUESTION.”

I"ve always heard it as "armchair" but have now felt stupid for thinking that.  :shrug: 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Krista insulted me on FB earlier today so I did this https://ibb.co/JFQ60F3

I didn't insult you so much as imply that your wife had happily slept with other men.  Is that so wrong?

• Like 3
  • Laughing 2

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I know there's this canon of "best" that many people follow, but I'm surprised this was only on one list.  It's a fascinating song.  Then again, I put it at #64 so I can't exactly say much.  With all the varied tastes in here I would have expected it to be on more.

And by the way, Binky, the fact I dropped this so much meant that your #17 keeps moving up instead.  :) 

hey ...at #64, it's top 1/3 - I'll take it!!

Just now, krista4 said:

I didn't insult you so much as imply that your wife had happily slept with other men.  Is that so wrong?

Don’t “lawyer” me. I’ve had too many Phils.

• Thinking 1

And I would love to invite by Beatlefreak friend into this thread but we now teach next door to each other. The streams must not cross.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

And I would love to invite by Beatlefreak friend into this thread but we now teach next door to each other. The streams must not cross.

Understandable  I hope the sometimes naughty language didn't scare bananadad away.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:51 PM, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

It’s time for one of my favorite Beatle TV clips - their appearenace on the Morecombe and Wise show from February 1963 (also featured in the Anthology series/album).  This Boy led off the set which is why I’m posting it here.

i love everything about this appearance- the British humor, the self-deprecation, the random, flustered Gerry & the Pacemakers deference, John’s dirty joke at the end.  Overwhelming evidence that these four lads from Liverpool were so much more than just a rock & roll group.

Meant to say I finally watched this last night.  When I'm in a posting barrage I'll open stuff in a new tab and leave it there until I feel I can give it its proper due.  If anyone hasn't already watched I wanted to bump it.  Everything Ted Lange describes above makes it such fun.  John's (attempted) dirty joke!  I adore these clips back when John seemed to be having fun.  The songs are great, but it's the rest of it that makes this special.

Btw, @Ted Lange as your Bartender a strong contender for thread MVP by always posting such great clips.  I need to access your library!

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wrote this one up earlier for a lower placement but moved it up.  Going to post now just to get it over with.  Deal.

I've seen this on several top 20 lists, but I guess all these songs hit at least one list now.  It is also @mike9289's favorite Beatles song.  Please forgive me!

63.  Get Back (Let It Be, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

This time it's a for-real "JoJo" song!  John called this "a better version of 'Lady Madonna'," and I agree.  Adding Billy Preston elevates any song about 16 levels, and this is no exception - his electric piano shines throughout the song and gives it an excellent groove, and Preston was actually featured on the label of this single ("The Beatles with Billy Preston"), being the only non-Beatle ever so credited.  This also features a great guitar solo by...John!  I've a special fondness in my heart for this song being the opener and closer of the London rooftop show, and the guys seemed to have a fabulous time with it.  Well, maybe not George, who never looked like he was enjoying that performance.  

This is a fun groove but doesn't get me rocking the way it does for some people; I almost feel like I don't quite understand the song.  This might be a function of its history, as it was meant to be a satirical look at the UK's racial unrest at the time.  But eventually some of the lyrics were dropped as being too open to possible misinterpretation, such as an entire section on Pakistani people that included the line, "Don't dig no Pakistani taking all the people's jobs."  Paul was likely right to drop all that, as evidenced by the fact that when those versions were discovered, the group was accused of racism when, of course, they were instead trying to make an anti-racist statement.  But in losing the political statements, the song might have lost some of the edge or grittiness that I wish I heard in it.  The grittiness is there in each of the covers I've linked below.  Still an awesome song that's painful to rank in the 60s.

Mr. krista:  "It’s the Billy Preston and Ringo show.  And Paul McCartney – the bass is really good.  I like Ringo’s galloping bumpadudump.  My least favorite part is Paul’s vocals, and the lyrics are dumb."

Suggested cover:  Actually I like each of these better than the Beatles version.  Al Green   Billy Preston, naturally  Holy hell you can try to tell me there's a sexier woman than Tina Turner in her prime but I won't believe you

At this point I've just pulled up the next 25-30 songs that I keep on my previously meticulously rank-ordered Spotify playlist and keep listening to them to see if anything stands out as "next."  Tonight I tried to enlist Mr. krista's help to say, hey, does any of this seem out of place, and I got the "I can't even rank my top 25 so I'm not going to be any help in this" response.  He did mention that "You Won't See Me" was the best one I played and suggested that "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" should have been next after "I Want To Tell You” (take that, Paul bashers!), but obviously I didn't listen.

Edited by krista4

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I wrote this one up earlier for a lower placement but moved it up.  Going to post now just to get it over with.  Deal.

I've seen this on several top 20 lists, but I guess all these songs hit at least one list now.  It is also @mike9289's favorite Beatles song.  Please forgive me!

63.  Get Back (Let It Be, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Mr. krista:  "My least favorite part is Paul’s vocals, and the lyrics are dumb."

I agree with the artist formerly known as Oliver Chimp.  This song is fun but always seemed to me to be a throwaway from an earlier album. 

And 92% of the time I hate piano on rock tracks electric or manual (I’m looking at you, Rock the Casbah). This is no exception.  

And let’s be honest here. Billy Preston is cool, but of all the 1960s R&B instrumentalists, he’s one of the dullest.  He’s what Will Smith is to rap.  Respectable and talented but lackluster.

• Thinking 1

8 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

And let’s be honest here. Billy Preston is cool, but of all the 1960s R&B instrumentalists, he’s one of the dullest.  He’s what Will Smith is to rap.  Respectable and talented but lackluster.

:jawdrop: 

49 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

I agree with the artist formerly known as Oliver Chimp.  This song is fun but always seemed to me to be a throwaway from an earlier album. 

And 92% of the time I hate piano on rock tracks electric or manual (I’m looking at you, Rock the Casbah). This is no exception.  

your face is dull.

• Like 1