Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

Recommended Posts

Can't Buy Me Love cemented The Beatles as the greatest boy band in the history of boy bands.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Can't Buy Me Love cemented The Beatles as the greatest boy band in the history of boy bands.

everybody tells me so.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 10:54 PM, shuke said:

Damn, forgot about this.  Should have been in my top 25 but I'm done sending updates to Getz.

Would be in my top 50, I think. My brother's former band mostly played Grateful Dead covers but they also did some Beatles and performed this reworked version of Oh Darling that their fans really love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bni52pBjWTU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know what’s going on in here.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I don’t know what’s going on in here.

21

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally can't believe I left "She Loves You" out of my top twenty-five. 

But enough about me. Can't Buy Me Love is, as Mr. Krista says, a great rave-up. Kind of convenient that he (Paul) also wants the girl not to want material possessions though, no? Always easier to have things that way.  

 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pecorino said:
On 2/8/2019 at 9:54 PM, shuke said:

Damn, forgot about this.  Should have been in my top 25 but I'm done sending updates to Getz.

Would be in my top 50, I think. My brother's former band mostly played Grateful Dead covers but they also did some Beatles and performed this reworked version of Oh Darling that their fans really love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bni52pBjWTU

no problem, he won't update your list anyway.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I don’t know what’s going on in here.

This thread's more popular than Jesus.  

  • Like 7
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

no problem, he won't update your list anyway.  

but I did

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's so close to Top 50 and the 51-100 songs are all so damned good that i'm going to stop harshing Krista 4 underrankings and save my energy to blow the misses out of her fitty.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have missed it but was "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey"  listed yet?   If not there have been a lot better songs that have been eliminated IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I might have missed it but was "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey"  listed yet?   If not there have been a lot better songs that have been eliminated IMO.

I don't believe it has.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

57.  I'll Follow The Sun (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

If you'd had me quickly jot down my favorite Beatles songs before I started this project, this one would have been on the list.  It's so sweet and simple, with a gorgeous lead vocal by Paul.  Paul recalls writing it when he was 16, and there's a bootleg version of it that Paul dates to April 1960.  When the Beatles needed more material for the Beatles for Sale album, they dusted this off and recorded a beautifully delicate version.  A lot of songs have skipped over it in my final rankings given this one's simplicity, but I still love to sing along (poorly) with John's harmonies.  A song doesn't have to be complex to be appreciated, and I love this one for its gentle, charming nature.

Mr. krista:  "Great song; they wisely left a lot of percussion out of it.  They sell this soft and somber.    A contemplative type thing, not rock."

Suggested cover:  I don't love the way she hangs onto the notes, or the lack of harmonies, but damn does she have a great voice:  Judy Collins

Edited by krista4
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I might have missed it but was "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey"  listed yet?   If not there have been a lot better songs that have been eliminated IMO.

Yeah, I've pointed out a few times that that is one most people will see as an outlier.  At least two people have indicated it's in their top 25, though, and it's not in mine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I personally can't believe I left "She Loves You" out of my top twenty-five. 

 

WHAT???  I thought it was one of your two favorite Beatles songs!  :lmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

56.  I'll Follow The Sun (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

If you'd had me quickly jot down my favorite Beatles songs before I started this project, this one would have been on the list.  It's so sweet and simple, with a gorgeous lead vocal by Paul.  Paul recalls writing it when he was 16, and there's a bootleg version of it that Paul dates to April 1960.  When the Beatles needed more material for the Beatles for Sale album, they dusted this off and recorded a beautifully delicate version.  A lot of songs have skipped over it in my final rankings given this one's simplicity, but I still love to sing along (poorly) with John's harmonies.  A song doesn't have to be complex to be appreciated, and I love this one for its gentle, charming nature.

Mr. krista:  "Great song; they wisely left a lot of percussion out of it.  They sell this soft and somber.    A contemplative type thing, not rock."

Suggested cover:  I don't love the way she hangs onto the notes, or the lack of harmonies, but damn does she have a great voice:  Judy Collins

One thing this whole thread has made me realize is I love the simplicity of so many of the early to mid Beatles songs, especially in stark contrast to the bombast and throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach of some of their later projects.  This is particularly stands out to me for its simplicity and purity, and I refuse to hold that against it.  

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

57.  Can't Buy Me Love (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

I like this song even more due to Amanda Peterson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krista4 said:

WHAT???  I thought it was one of your two favorite Beatles songs!  :lmao: 

It's not on Spotify and I forgot about it. :bag:

My list was made by scanning the albums in question and writing down those that I liked, and then winnowing it down. I remembered other singles but not She Loves You. 

Wow.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

WHAT???  I thought it was one of your two favorite Beatles songs!  :lmao: 

Cut him some slack, making a list of your top 25 Beatles songs is more difficult than you think. :whistle:

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

It's not on Spotify and I forgot about it. :bag:

My list was made by scanning the albums in question and writing down those that I liked, and then winnowing it down. I remembered other singles but not She Loves You. 

Wow.  

It's on Spotify, on Past Masters.  You didn't miss I Want To Hold Your Hand, too, did you?  You'd find it in the same place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the posting of "I'll Follow The Sun," the Beatles for Sale album has been closed out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krista4 said:

With the posting of "I'll Follow The Sun," the Beatles for Sale album has been closed out.

Oh my God, I'm the one with the ten, aren't I?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

It's not on Spotify and I forgot about it. :bag:

My list was made by scanning the albums in question and writing down those that I liked, and then winnowing it down. I remembered other singles but not She Loves You. 

Wow.  

It's on my Spotify

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Yeah, I've pointed out a few times that that is one most people will see as an outlier.  At least two people have indicated it's in their top 25, though, and it's not in mine.  

It's a decent rock song but the clanging cowbell alone relegates  it to the bottom 100 for me.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, krista4 said:

56.  I'll Follow The Sun (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

If you'd had me quickly jot down my favorite Beatles songs before I started this project, this one would have been on the list.  It's so sweet and simple, with a gorgeous lead vocal by Paul.  Paul recalls writing it when he was 16, and there's a bootleg version of it that Paul dates to April 1960.  When the Beatles needed more material for the Beatles for Sale album, they dusted this off and recorded a beautifully delicate version.  A lot of songs have skipped over it in my final rankings given this one's simplicity, but I still love to sing along (poorly) with John's harmonies.  A song doesn't have to be complex to be appreciated, and I love this one for its gentle, charming nature.

Mr. krista:  "Great song; they wisely left a lot of percussion out of it.  They sell this soft and somber.    A contemplative type thing, not rock."

Suggested cover:  I don't love the way she hangs onto the notes, or the lack of harmonies, but damn does she have a great voice:  Judy Collins

This was one of George Martin's favorites

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Getzlaf15 said:

It's on my Spotify

It is on Spotify but I only scanned the albums in question. Oh well. No big deal. I didn't agonize. I one-offed it. This is about k4 and the write-ups, regardless.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal question for Krista i don't expect an answer to: Did you ever fall for a Paul? There's something about his greasy eagerness i sense you react to on more than a critical level

  • Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

It's a decent rock song but the clanging cowbell alone relegates  it to the bottom 100 for me.

That's the part that makes it top 50 for me.  :lmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Oh my God, I'm the one with the ten, aren't I?  

:confused: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krista4 said:

:confused: 

There was something about ten and the top fifty and apologies in advance...I'm so lost. 

:lmao:

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

This was one of George Martin's favorites

Interesting.  It's kind of a genteel song, and he was a genteel man.  Makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

Personal question for Krista i don't expect an answer to: Did you ever fall for a Paul? There's something about his greasy eagerness i sense you react to on more than a critical level

This would be a pretty decent name for a Green Day cover band.  

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Personal question for Krista i don't expect an answer to: Did you ever fall for a Paul? There's something about his greasy eagerness i sense you react to on more than a critical level

I don't think so, but I'll have to put some more thought into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

There was something about ten and the top fifty and apologies in advance...I'm so lost. 

:lmao:

Oh.  Once we hit #66, all songs I would choose after that had at least one person who had it in his top 25.  I think at 60 I apologized that the next 10 weren't going to be in my top 50 but would be in someone's top 25, as they all are now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krista4 said:

I don't think so, but I'll have to put some more thought into it.

three situations:

a) sober

b) wine tipsy

c) tequila drunk

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shaft41 said:

This would be a pretty decent name for a Green Day cover band.  

I'd take the "ness" out, but i like where you're goin' - "hey, baby - wanna get some shrooms & go check out The Greasy Eager?"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Too low for me. Not in my top 25 but it definitely has to be top 40. 

Its one of the great Beatlemania songs. I can’t really listen to it without thinking of thousands of young girls screaming as background. It’s part of the best popular music that’s ever been recorded, IMO. 

Cant Buy Me Love is in my top 25. Just a super song that gets in your head for hours.  The amount of fantastic melodies that those four guys made is tough to comprehend. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Personal question for Krista i don't expect an answer to: Did you ever fall for a Paul? There's something about his greasy eagerness i sense you react to on more than a critical level

Falling for a Paul

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

#1 My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
#2 Instant Karma (Lennon)
#3 What is Life (Harrison)
#4 Imagine (Lennon)
#5 Silly Love Songs (McCartney)
#6 It Don't Come Easy (Starr [Harrison])
#7 Band on the Run (McCartney)
#8 Jet (McCartney)
#9 Photograph (Starr)
#10 Give Me Love (Harrison)
#11 With a Little Luck (McCartney)
#12 Live and Let Die (McCartney)
#13 Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)
#14 Listen to What the Man Says (McCartney)
#15 Stand by Me (Lennon [King])
#16 Give Peace a Chance (Lennon)
#17 Another Day (McCartney)
#18 Happy X-mas (Lennon)
#19 Whatever Gets You Through the Night (Lennon)
#20 Let Em In (McCartney)
#21 Watching the Wheels (Lennon)
#22 Starting Over (Lennon)
#23 Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (McCartney)
#24 Woman (Lennon)
#25 #9 Dream (Lennon)

First, thanks to Krista for inspiring this.  I'd been thinking about it for a while and she motivated me to pull it together.  (NO idea how you could do this with 200+ songs -- I struggled a ton sorting out the middle ten here.)

Notes:

--It would be impossible for this list to be any more subjective.  It's my favorites, not "best".

--Cheated with one cover, but Lennon's version of Stand By Me is a great song and a lot better than the other contenders I had at #25.

--Was pleasantly surprised my Top-10 was more balanced than I expected -- Lennon had two of my top four.  But then nothing again until #15.  I just like McCartney's songs better on average.

--Harrison killed it at #1, #3, #6?, and #10.

--Both of Ringo's were in the top 10 too, but one of those is actually a Harrison tune (It Don't Come Easy).

--If anyone ever asks you which solo song is most like the Beatles -- you can suggest "Another Day".  Not sure which album I'd drop it onto, but it'd fit somewhere.

--Other considered, but cut:  Crackerbox Palace, All Those Years Ago, Isn't It a Pity (Harrison), Hi Hi Hi, My Love, Coming Up, Junior's Farm, 1985 (McCartney), Working Class Hero, Power to the People (Lennon), You're Sixteen (Starr).

 

This is a good list, though IMO, (George's) Dark Horse deserves a prominent position.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoa!  It's like we introduced a new character in the third act of the play!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

I don’t know what’s going on in here.

Join the club, sister

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

great song - and damn funny lady.

I always liked the payoff at the end when McCartney replaces the other Paul.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, krista4 said:

 

54 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Personal question for Krista i don't expect an answer to: Did you ever fall for a Paul? There's something about his greasy eagerness i sense you react to on more than a critical level

I don't think so, but I'll have to put some more thought into it.

 

Thought of one. Oddly enough his name was Paul, though he went by PK.  He was a close friend of a long-time guy friend of mine, and like Beatle Paul, he was this renaissance man who was pretty much good at everything.  Wicked smart and great-looking, too, but had that greasy eagerness that would usually be a huge turn-off for me.  

The reason I was OK with it, I think, was that I dated him for maybe two months as my Dad was dying, and he was so solid and easy to get along with, which is what I needed at the time.  He met Dad maybe a month before Dad's death, and Dad really liked him.  Not that he told me that - he wouldn't have commented on my boyfriends directly to me - but he told my stepmother, who told me.  PK was the kind of guy that dads like.  

For a while I felt bad that I dumped him shortly after that (probably due to the greasy eagerness), just because he was someone that Dad had met and approved of.  For a long time after Dad died, I thought there's no way I'd ever date anyone who hadn't known him, because how could they really know me if they never met my Dad?

Anyway, that's the only one I can think of.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Thought of one. Oddly enough his name was Paul, though he went by PK.  He was a close friend of a long-time guy friend of mine, and like Beatle Paul, he was this renaissance man who was pretty much good at everything.  Wicked smart and great-looking, too, but had that greasy eagerness that would usually be a huge turn-off for me.  

The reason I was OK with it, I think, was that I dated him for maybe two months as my Dad was dying, and he was so solid and easy to get along with, which is what I needed at the time.  He met Dad maybe a month before Dad's death, and Dad really liked him.  Not that he told me that - he wouldn't have commented on my boyfriends directly to me - but he told my stepmother, who told me.  PK was the kind of guy that dads like.  

For a while I felt bad that I dumped him shortly after that (probably due to the greasy eagerness), just because he was someone that Dad had met and approved of.  For a long time after Dad died, I thought there's no way I'd ever date anyone who hadn't known him, because how could they really know me if they never met my Dad?

Anyway, that's the only one I can think of.

Paul would have totally written a gorgeous song about this relationship, and I think it would safely have entered the countdown around number 41.  

  • Like 4
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

great song - and damn funny lady.

my other showbiz cousin - triple Tony-winning baby sister to Oscar-ignored Rob Marshall - loves Tracey Ullman (personally & professionally) soooo much it ruined her directing career. After choreographing Matthew Broderick's TV version of The Music Man, Disney offered her Once Upon a Mattress to direct. She cast the almost-50yo Ullman - the only person who can "break" Kathleen while she's working - to play Princess Winnifred (the role who made Carol Burnett famous.........@ age 26) and has never been asked to direct for electronic media again and now can't even get a theater for her shows (including a musical of Diner, songs by Sheryl Crow and a very cool Unsinkable Molly Brown revival, re-written for historical accuracy) because of all the jukebox musicals on the Great White Way. 

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.