Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

Can't Buy Me Love cemented The Beatles as the greatest boy band in the history of boy bands.

• Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Can't Buy Me Love cemented The Beatles as the greatest boy band in the history of boy bands.

everybody tells me so.  

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 10:54 PM, shuke said:

Damn, forgot about this.  Should have been in my top 25 but I'm done sending updates to Getz.

Would be in my top 50, I think. My brother's former band mostly played Grateful Dead covers but they also did some Beatles and performed this reworked version of Oh Darling that their fans really love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bni52pBjWTU

I don’t know what’s going on in here.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

I personally can't believe I left "She Loves You" out of my top twenty-five. 

But enough about me. Can't Buy Me Love is, as Mr. Krista says, a great rave-up. Kind of convenient that he (Paul) also wants the girl not to want material possessions though, no? Always easier to have things that way.  

• Laughing 1

18 minutes ago, pecorino said:
On 2/8/2019 at 9:54 PM, shuke said:

Damn, forgot about this.  Should have been in my top 25 but I'm done sending updates to Getz.

Would be in my top 50, I think. My brother's former band mostly played Grateful Dead covers but they also did some Beatles and performed this reworked version of Oh Darling that their fans really love. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bni52pBjWTU

no problem, he won't update your list anyway.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, krista4 said:

This thread's more popular than Jesus.  

• Like 7
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Binky The Doormat said:

no problem, he won't update your list anyway.  

but I did

• Like 1

it's so close to Top 50 and the 51-100 songs are all so damned good that i'm going to stop harshing Krista 4 underrankings and save my energy to blow the misses out of her fitty.

• Thinking 1

I might have missed it but was "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey"  listed yet?   If not there have been a lot better songs that have been eliminated IMO.

11 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I might have missed it but was "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and My Monkey"  listed yet?   If not there have been a lot better songs that have been eliminated IMO.

I don't believe it has.  

57.  I'll Follow The Sun (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

If you'd had me quickly jot down my favorite Beatles songs before I started this project, this one would have been on the list.  It's so sweet and simple, with a gorgeous lead vocal by Paul.  Paul recalls writing it when he was 16, and there's a bootleg version of it that Paul dates to April 1960.  When the Beatles needed more material for the Beatles for Sale album, they dusted this off and recorded a beautifully delicate version.  A lot of songs have skipped over it in my final rankings given this one's simplicity, but I still love to sing along (poorly) with John's harmonies.  A song doesn't have to be complex to be appreciated, and I love this one for its gentle, charming nature.

Mr. krista:  "Great song; they wisely left a lot of percussion out of it.  They sell this soft and somber.    A contemplative type thing, not rock."

Suggested cover:  I don't love the way she hangs onto the notes, or the lack of harmonies, but damn does she have a great voice:  Judy Collins

Edited by krista4
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

Yeah, I've pointed out a few times that that is one most people will see as an outlier.  At least two people have indicated it's in their top 25, though, and it's not in mine.  

32 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I personally can't believe I left "She Loves You" out of my top twenty-five. 

WHAT???  I thought it was one of your two favorite Beatles songs!  :lmao: 

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

56.  I'll Follow The Sun (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

If you'd had me quickly jot down my favorite Beatles songs before I started this project, this one would have been on the list.  It's so sweet and simple, with a gorgeous lead vocal by Paul.  Paul recalls writing it when he was 16, and there's a bootleg version of it that Paul dates to April 1960.  When the Beatles needed more material for the Beatles for Sale album, they dusted this off and recorded a beautifully delicate version.  A lot of songs have skipped over it in my final rankings given this one's simplicity, but I still love to sing along (poorly) with John's harmonies.  A song doesn't have to be complex to be appreciated, and I love this one for its gentle, charming nature.

Mr. krista:  "Great song; they wisely left a lot of percussion out of it.  They sell this soft and somber.    A contemplative type thing, not rock."

Suggested cover:  I don't love the way she hangs onto the notes, or the lack of harmonies, but damn does she have a great voice:  Judy Collins

One thing this whole thread has made me realize is I love the simplicity of so many of the early to mid Beatles songs, especially in stark contrast to the bombast and throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach of some of their later projects.  This is particularly stands out to me for its simplicity and purity, and I refuse to hold that against it.  

• Love 2

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

57.  Can't Buy Me Love (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

I like this song even more due to Amanda Peterson.

Just now, krista4 said:

It's not on Spotify and I forgot about it. :bag:

My list was made by scanning the albums in question and writing down those that I liked, and then winnowing it down. I remembered other singles but not She Loves You. 

Wow.  

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Cut him some slack, making a list of your top 25 Beatles songs is more difficult than you think. :whistle:

• Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, rockaction said:

My list was made by scanning the albums in question and writing down those that I liked, and then winnowing it down. I remembered other singles but not She Loves You. 

Wow.  

It's on Spotify, on Past Masters.  You didn't miss I Want To Hold Your Hand, too, did you?  You'd find it in the same place.

• Like 1

With the posting of "I'll Follow The Sun," the Beatles for Sale album has been closed out.

• Like 1

Just now, krista4 said:

With the posting of "I'll Follow The Sun," the Beatles for Sale album has been closed out.

Oh my God, I'm the one with the ten, aren't I?  

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Wow.  

It's on my Spotify

6 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Yeah, I've pointed out a few times that that is one most people will see as an outlier.  At least two people have indicated it's in their top 25, though, and it's not in mine.  

It's a decent rock song but the clanging cowbell alone relegates  it to the bottom 100 for me.

• Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, krista4 said:

56.  I'll Follow The Sun (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

This was one of George Martin's favorites

• Like 1

Just now, Getzlaf15 said:

It's on my Spotify

It is on Spotify but I only scanned the albums in question. Oh well. No big deal. I didn't agonize. I one-offed it. This is about k4 and the write-ups, regardless.  

Personal question for Krista i don't expect an answer to: Did you ever fall for a Paul? There's something about his greasy eagerness i sense you react to on more than a critical level

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

12 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

It's a decent rock song but the clanging cowbell alone relegates  it to the bottom 100 for me.

That's the part that makes it top 50 for me.  :lmao: 

14 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Oh my God, I'm the one with the ten, aren't I?  

:confused: 

Just now, krista4 said:

:confused: 

There was something about ten and the top fifty and apologies in advance...I'm so lost. 

:lmao:

• Thinking 1

13 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

This was one of George Martin's favorites

Interesting.  It's kind of a genteel song, and he was a genteel man.  Makes sense.

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

Personal question for Krista i don't expect an answer to: Did you ever fall for a Paul? There's something about his greasy eagerness i sense you react to on more than a critical level

This would be a pretty decent name for a Green Day cover band.  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

I don't think so, but I'll have to put some more thought into it.

7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

There was something about ten and the top fifty and apologies in advance...I'm so lost. 

:lmao:

Oh.  Once we hit #66, all songs I would choose after that had at least one person who had it in his top 25.  I think at 60 I apologized that the next 10 weren't going to be in my top 50 but would be in someone's top 25, as they all are now.

Just now, krista4 said:

three situations:

a) sober

b) wine tipsy

c) tequila drunk

• Laughing 1

8 minutes ago, Shaft41 said:

This would be a pretty decent name for a Green Day cover band.  

I'd take the "ness" out, but i like where you're goin' - "hey, baby - wanna get some shrooms & go check out The Greasy Eager?"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Too low for me. Not in my top 25 but it definitely has to be top 40. 

Its one of the great Beatlemania songs. I can’t really listen to it without thinking of thousands of young girls screaming as background. It’s part of the best popular music that’s ever been recorded, IMO. 

Cant Buy Me Love is in my top 25. Just a super song that gets in your head for hours.  The amount of fantastic melodies that those four guys made is tough to comprehend. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Falling for a Paul

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

On 1/12/2019 at 7:19 PM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

#1 My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
#2 Instant Karma (Lennon)
#3 What is Life (Harrison)
#4 Imagine (Lennon)
#5 Silly Love Songs (McCartney)
#6 It Don't Come Easy (Starr [Harrison])
#7 Band on the Run (McCartney)
#8 Jet (McCartney)
#9 Photograph (Starr)
#10 Give Me Love (Harrison)
#11 With a Little Luck (McCartney)
#12 Live and Let Die (McCartney)
#13 Maybe I'm Amazed (McCartney)
#14 Listen to What the Man Says (McCartney)
#15 Stand by Me (Lennon [King])
#16 Give Peace a Chance (Lennon)
#17 Another Day (McCartney)
#18 Happy X-mas (Lennon)
#19 Whatever Gets You Through the Night (Lennon)
#20 Let Em In (McCartney)
#21 Watching the Wheels (Lennon)
#22 Starting Over (Lennon)
#23 Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey (McCartney)
#24 Woman (Lennon)
#25 #9 Dream (Lennon)

First, thanks to Krista for inspiring this.  I'd been thinking about it for a while and she motivated me to pull it together.  (NO idea how you could do this with 200+ songs -- I struggled a ton sorting out the middle ten here.)

Notes:

--It would be impossible for this list to be any more subjective.  It's my favorites, not "best".

--Cheated with one cover, but Lennon's version of Stand By Me is a great song and a lot better than the other contenders I had at #25.

--Was pleasantly surprised my Top-10 was more balanced than I expected -- Lennon had two of my top four.  But then nothing again until #15.  I just like McCartney's songs better on average.

--Harrison killed it at #1, #3, #6?, and #10.

--Both of Ringo's were in the top 10 too, but one of those is actually a Harrison tune (It Don't Come Easy).

--If anyone ever asks you which solo song is most like the Beatles -- you can suggest "Another Day".  Not sure which album I'd drop it onto, but it'd fit somewhere.

--Other considered, but cut:  Crackerbox Palace, All Those Years Ago, Isn't It a Pity (Harrison), Hi Hi Hi, My Love, Coming Up, Junior's Farm, 1985 (McCartney), Working Class Hero, Power to the People (Lennon), You're Sixteen (Starr).

This is a good list, though IMO, (George's) Dark Horse deserves a prominent position.

• Like 3

Whoa!  It's like we introduced a new character in the third act of the play!

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Join the club, sister

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

great song - and damn funny lady.

I always liked the payoff at the end when McCartney replaces the other Paul.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, krista4 said:

54 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Thought of one. Oddly enough his name was Paul, though he went by PK.  He was a close friend of a long-time guy friend of mine, and like Beatle Paul, he was this renaissance man who was pretty much good at everything.  Wicked smart and great-looking, too, but had that greasy eagerness that would usually be a huge turn-off for me.  

The reason I was OK with it, I think, was that I dated him for maybe two months as my Dad was dying, and he was so solid and easy to get along with, which is what I needed at the time.  He met Dad maybe a month before Dad's death, and Dad really liked him.  Not that he told me that - he wouldn't have commented on my boyfriends directly to me - but he told my stepmother, who told me.  PK was the kind of guy that dads like.  

For a while I felt bad that I dumped him shortly after that (probably due to the greasy eagerness), just because he was someone that Dad had met and approved of.  For a long time after Dad died, I thought there's no way I'd ever date anyone who hadn't known him, because how could they really know me if they never met my Dad?

Anyway, that's the only one I can think of.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Thought of one. Oddly enough his name was Paul, though he went by PK.  He was a close friend of a long-time guy friend of mine, and like Beatle Paul, he was this renaissance man who was pretty much good at everything.  Wicked smart and great-looking, too, but had that greasy eagerness that would usually be a huge turn-off for me.  

The reason I was OK with it, I think, was that I dated him for maybe two months as my Dad was dying, and he was so solid and easy to get along with, which is what I needed at the time.  He met Dad maybe a month before Dad's death, and Dad really liked him.  Not that he told me that - he wouldn't have commented on my boyfriends directly to me - but he told my stepmother, who told me.  PK was the kind of guy that dads like.  

For a while I felt bad that I dumped him shortly after that (probably due to the greasy eagerness), just because he was someone that Dad had met and approved of.  For a long time after Dad died, I thought there's no way I'd ever date anyone who hadn't known him, because how could they really know me if they never met my Dad?

Anyway, that's the only one I can think of.

Paul would have totally written a gorgeous song about this relationship, and I think it would safely have entered the countdown around number 41.  

• Like 4
  • Laughing 2

26 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

great song - and damn funny lady.

my other showbiz cousin - triple Tony-winning baby sister to Oscar-ignored Rob Marshall - loves Tracey Ullman (personally & professionally) soooo much it ruined her directing career. After choreographing Matthew Broderick's TV version of The Music Man, Disney offered her Once Upon a Mattress to direct. She cast the almost-50yo Ullman - the only person who can "break" Kathleen while she's working - to play Princess Winnifred (the role who made Carol Burnett famous.........@ age 26) and has never been asked to direct for electronic media again and now can't even get a theater for her shows (including a musical of Diner, songs by Sheryl Crow and a very cool Unsinkable Molly Brown revival, re-written for historical accuracy) because of all the jukebox musicals on the Great White Way. 

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Sad 1