What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (11 Viewers)

At one point in the afternoon in Beverly Hills, Harrison got scared. Actor Peter Fonda, who attended the party along with members of the Byrds, later said, “I remember sitting out on the deck of the house with George, who was telling me that he thought he was dying. I told him that there was nothing to be afraid of and all that he needed to do was relax. I said that I knew what it was like to be dead because, when I was 10 years old, I’d accidentally shot myself in the stomach and my heart stopped beating three times while I was on the operating table because I had lost so much blood.”

Lennon overheard Fonda and recalled the instance years later: “[Fonda] kept on saying, in a whisper, ‘I know what it’s like to be dead,’ and we said, ‘What?’ And he kept on saying it. We were saying, ‘For Christ’s sake, shut up! We don’t care, we don’t want to know!’ But he kept going on about it.” Fonda: “[Lennon] looked at me and said, ‘You’re making me feel like I’ve never been born. Who put all that #### in your head?’ ” Roger McGuinn of the Byrds – who described the day as “morbid and bizarre” – recalled Lennon insisting that Fonda leave the gathering.
Whole article is worth a read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t find the exact straw that broke the camel’s back but i think we need to encourage krista to finish what she started here. 
I had trouble sorting it out too, but I can see where it would start to feel like a burden and people goofing around might rub you the wrong way after spending hours putting commentary together.

Having said... K, I think maybe you're underestimating how much more you know about this than we do.  Maybe not as much for some of the anecdotes, but the music.  I couldn't comment on the musical details if I had to.

I've posted more in this thread than I have any other other thread since I've been frequenting the FFA.  Now, granted, that's because I generally don't have a lot to say unless it's a topic I personally feel very strongly about, and those are few and far between on the Internet where I long ago figured out that almost no one gives two ####s what anyone thinks about anything.  But from the instant this thread started, it was like it was meant to be.  As I've stated before, I bought a new car about 2 weeks before Krista started this thread, and it came with Sirius/XM, and for those two weeks, all I'd done was listen to the Beatles channel, getting introduced to songs I didn't really know well, as well as getting reintroduced to songs I hadn't heard in years, and learning to love even more songs I thought I already loved.  Then, this thread starts and I get to talk about all these songs I'd been enjoying at the exact same moment in time.  

I can't imagine how much time this has taken K4.  I know she's frustrated that others aren't putting the thought into each song that she is.  When I've commented, I hope I've adequately conveyed why I like or dislike something.  If the rest of the countdown ends with a whimper, I'll have still enjoyed the hell out of it, but I hope we get the writeups back.  They've been absolutely gold.  I don't typically check the FFA at home a lot, it's more of a way to get me through the work day. But I've been on it more at home this last month than ever, simply to see what was new in this thread.  My kids have been neglected, I'm wearing 3 week old underwear, the cat is resorting to eating lint to survive, and my skin is now the pallor of "The Beatles" album, but it's because this thread matters.  

I'll add, in case it's my only chance to mention it, that the bass groove mixed with piano in "Hey Bulldog" might rank #7 on my list of favorite things ever, right behind the wife and kids who used to love me.  

My kids have been neglected, I'm wearing 3 week old underwear, the cat is resorting to eating lint to survive, and my skin is now the pallor of "The Beatles" album, but it's because this thread matters.
You might have had her up to the bit about the cat.

I loved the technical music theory discussions between krista4 and Mr. krista, an area in which I'm sorely lacking. I'd go back and listen and try to piece together what was going on. 
Same.  I’ve never played an instrument or learned anything about composition.  I love music but really don’t understand all that stuff. 

I really hope Krista was just having a bad night and will reconsider.  

I've alluded to it before, but I've been in the coolest kind of groove since this thread started.  I wake up with different Beatles songs running through my head each day. 

I have my top 25 on spotify and I've listened to it ten days in a row. Best was yesterday during 90 minute hot stone massage. 

I really enjoy all the writing on this site and especially in this thread.  Love the cool stories people have shared about their parents and what not.  

Wish I could write like that.  Glad you let me contribute the best way I know, through numbers.  

Same.  I’ve never played an instrument or learned anything about composition.  I love music but really don’t understand all that stuff. 

I really hope Krista was just having a bad night and will reconsider.  
I'm in this boat also.   I cant read a note to this day.   I failed recorder in 2nd grade.  All of that stuff is just Chinese to me. 

It's a shame that Krista ran out of steam but it is ok.  She is still finishing.  

Eleanor Rigby was very high on my top 25.  It's another of those Beatles songs that never gets old to me.   I love the lyrics and the melody.  

Day tripper is another of my favorites and it's all about the riff.   

Blackbird is a nice song but it's not one of the Beatles best.  I think krista hit this ranking right on the money.   

I totally get the Blackbird and Mother's Nature Son comparison/close ranking.  If they involved the Beatles more as a whole, they'd be way higher for me, because their melodies are so freakin' pure.  But they both are still in my top 25.  I think I'm only down to about 6 of my top 25 that haven't been named yet.  

I come into this thread every weekend. Mrs Punk and I make a pot of coffee and catch up on the dozen or so pages from the previous weekend. Our weekend day plans have revolved around this thread. We love the write ups but our discussion usually ends up revolving around our lack of musical knowledge (or attention to detail) that we cannot add much to the commentary on the song.

This thread is a total joy and it would truly be a shame if it wound down this way. That said, I cannot fathom how much work this is and thank you for your efforts. I had thought it was a labor of love for you but maybe it was more labor than it is love.

Other than maybe the Colonblow Diaries from our old friend Vivian Darkbloom, this thread has been my all time favorite!

I’m going to echo the sentiments of those that said they know nothing about composition, or key changes, etc...

But I know one thing, I LOVE BEATLES MUSIC! My next door neighbor (who just moved to So Cal from England) got me into the Beatles in 1973, when I was 8, so I promptly talked my mom into buying me the red and blue albums. Played the hell out of those and still find myself ready to hear the song (on one of those albums) that follows the one I am listening to on the radio.

I still remember my friend calling me, crying, from England (moved back there) the day John Lennon died.

i didn’t dig deeper into their catalog until I was around 18. What an eye opener to hear all the other amazing songs that weren’t on the red and blue albums and never played on the radio.

Krista, you’ve brought back so many awesome memories from my past with this thread. I thought I knew a crapload about the Beatles, but after reading ALL of your write ups, I now know I didn’t know a fraction of what’s out there. I can’t thank you enough for all the time and effort you’ve put into this epic thread.

Not feeling it today, either.  I’ll wait another day and see.  Maybe tomorrow will be different. 
Take a few days off.  You've earned it.

I totally understand not feeling appreciated for monumental effort.  For instance, I posted this message to my good buddy GM last night in the Metamucil thread.  A few people found it humorous, which is what I was hoping for.  But people don't realize the planning, sacrifice, and dedication I put into shtick videos.  For instance, this was the first take, previously not posted.  I thought I was going to die for a second.

Take a few days off.  You've earned it.

I totally understand not feeling appreciated for monumental effort.  For instance, I posted this message to my good buddy GM last night in the Metamucil thread.  A few people found it humorous, which is what I was hoping for.  But people don't realize the planning, sacrifice, and dedication I put into shtick videos.  For instance, this was the first take, previously not posted.  I thought I was going to die for a second.
Bearded shuke looks good!

Dammit - I go on vacation for a few days and all hell breaks loose in here.

In honor of Krista’s epic tireless/thankless work in here, here’s a compilation of some of Ringo’s live drumming.

And ¡saludos! from Riviera Maya (look at me...)

Just read through the thread.  Thanks for all the nice comments (which embarrass me) and the s(c)htick.  I don’t want to let anyone down.

Let’s do it.
True story... we watched Rocky with the kids last night.

(Note to people thinking of having their young kids watch Rocky:  his lecture to the young girl about being a whoring, whorey, whore whore whore is not so comfortable.)

I'm going to do write-ups for the ones posted last night, but they'll likely be a bit truncated and lazy.  Starting with #35 I'll go back to normal.

Had a great evening yesterday; there was both a movie and pizza.  Then came home and read the thread and definitely overreacted, and I apologize for that.  There are a ton of people who contribute interesting thoughts, stories, etc. here, and many people with much more knowledge than I have, who are better writers, funnier, etc.  I greatly appreciate that, but I don't mind if people don't share much of substance.  What I do mind are the constant complainers who don't add substance, but there aren't many of those.  They just happened to wear on me too much last night. 

ETA:  I used "etc." twice in the same sentence.  I really am lazy.

What I do mind are the constant complainers who don't add substance, but there aren't many of those.  They just happened to wear on me too much last night. 
Maybe just update your ignore list on a temp basis until you're done?  This is amazing work and should either be fun for you (which, yeah, I bet it seems long) or at least something you feel great about and will love once you're finished.

I'm going to do write-ups for the ones posted last night, but they'll likely be a bit truncated and lazy.  Starting with #35 I'll go back to normal.

Had a great evening yesterday; there was both a movie and pizza.  Then came home and read the thread and definitely overreacted, and I apologize for that.  There are a ton of people who contribute interesting thoughts, stories, etc. here, and many people with much more knowledge than I have, who are better writers, funnier, etc.  I greatly appreciate that, but I don't mind if people don't share much of substance.  What I do mind are the constant complainers who don't add substance, but there aren't many of those.  They just happened to wear on me too much last night. 

ETA:  I used "etc." twice in the same sentence.  I really am lazy.
Sounds awesome.  And, in return, I gave the cat some sort of giblets, gravy and searfin tuna concoction.  

44.  I Am The Walrus (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Since I'm being lazy, I've decided to post a guest write-up for this one.  From @simey a page or two back:

"I like this song. It is quite weird, especially lyrically, but there are several things about the song I like. I love the intro, and the orchestra throughout the song.  I also like the nonsensical lyrics.  krista, I'm not sure if I am hearing it right, but after John sings, "see how they smile like pigs in a sty see how they snide," do I hear two pig snorts after that? I know how you feel about pig snorts.  My favorite part of the song comes right before that pig line, when they go Ho Ho Ho Hee Hee Hee Ha Ha Ha. 

John says he wrote the first line after one acid trip, and the second line after another acid trip. He got the idea for writing the whacked out lyrics from getting a letter by boy that said his English teacher was having the class analyze Beatles songs. I reckon John chuckled with the thought of them analyzing the lyrics to this song. This was also the song that started the rumor that Paul was dead."

From me:  I don't mind pig snorts so much in a song that's not named "Piggies."  A little too obvious with that one.

Also from me:  In my write-up I intended to mention that this song probably had the biggest drop of any on my list.  When I started, it was in my top 15 or so, but I realized along the way that, while I loved the song, I found myself tuning it out a lot rather than actively listening.  There isn't that same level of instant excitement for me that a lot of other songs provide.

Mr. krista:  "I like the song. I like the distorted vocals and the obscurant lyrics, referencing Lewis Carroll.  Funny cause the walrus is the bad guy in that poem.  Like the brief bits of noise.  It’s still just a strange song.  There’s something terrifying and jarring about it.  It’s creepy.  It’s a haunted house of a song."

Suggested cover:  I like the uptempo rock version from Oingo Boingo

I like the metaphors in this song. I especially like the line, "Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door, who is it for?" The strings in this song perfectly fit the mood of it.
Yes, Eleanor Rigby feels like a song that could float all the way to my top 3 if I’m in the right mood or down into this area if I’m not. I can see why Krista’s ordering would be so mercurial. It is almost too perfect of a song, not really rock and roll if you think about it, and (as I alluded to in an earlier post) overexposed through years of radio play. A real gem, and the first of my top ten predicted Krista songs to get knocked out. Bummer.

Since I haven't posted write-ups for them yet anyway, I'm making a couple of changes.  No, not to Eleanor Rigby.  I'm moving Hey Bulldog to #37 and I'm Looking Through You to #38.  First couple of posts updated.

Yes, Eleanor Rigby feels like a song that could float all the way to my top 3 if I’m in the right mood or down into this area if I’m not. I can see why Krista’s ordering would be so mercurial. It is almost too perfect of a song, not really rock and roll if you think about it, and (as I alluded to in an earlier post) overexposed through years of radio play. A real gem, and the first of my top ten predicted Krista songs to get knocked out. Bummer.
:goodposting:  And wow, didn't realize that was the first of your predicted 10 to come up.

Since I'm being lazy, I've decided to post a guest write-up for this one.  From @simey a page or two back:

"I like this song. It is quite weird, especially lyrically, but there are several things about the song I like. I love the intro, and the orchestra throughout the song.  I also like the nonsensical lyrics.  krista, I'm not sure if I am hearing it right, but after John sings, "see how they smile like pigs in a sty see how they snide," do I hear two pig snorts after that? I know how you feel about pig snorts.  My favorite part of the song comes right before that pig line, when they go Ho Ho Ho Hee Hee Hee Ha Ha Ha. 

John says he wrote the first line after one acid trip, and the second line after another acid trip. He got the idea for writing the whacked out lyrics from getting a letter by boy that said his English teacher was having the class analyze Beatles songs. I reckon John chuckled with the thought of them analyzing the lyrics to this song. This was also the song that started the rumor that Paul was dead."

From me:  I don't mind pig snorts so much in a song that's not named "Piggies."  A little too obvious with that one.

Also from me:  In my write-up I intended to mention that this song probably had the biggest drop of any on my list.  When I started, it was in my top 15 or so, but I realized along the way that, while I loved the song, I found myself tuning it out a lot rather than actively listening.  There isn't that same level of instant excitement for me that a lot of other songs provide.

Mr. krista:  "I like the song. I like the distorted vocals and the obscurant lyrics, referencing Lewis Carroll.  Funny cause the walrus is the bad guy in that poem.  Like the brief bits of noise.  It’s still just a strange song.  There’s something terrifying and jarring about it.  It’s creepy.  It’s a haunted house of a song."

This is the same kind of song for me.  A few years ago, I might have put it in my top 10.  Now, this is about where I'd rank it.  The John songs with nonsense lyrics are automatically knocked down a few pegs (I haven't finished looking at you too, Paul, in that regard.  Or does everyone know you as Nancy?)  The sonic cornucopia is stunning though, and I love the musicality of it.  It's the song you could listen to 100 times and still probably pick out something you've never heard before in the background.  

This is the same kind of song for me.  A few years ago, I might have put it in my top 10.  Now, this is about where I'd rank it.  The John songs with nonsense lyrics are automatically knocked down a few pegs (I haven't finished looking at you too, Paul, in that regard.  Or does everyone know you as Nancy?)  The sonic cornucopia is stunning though, and I love the musicality of it.  It's the song you could listen to 100 times and still probably pick out something you've never heard before in the background.  
This is a great post, but it makes me mad that I didn't come up with "sonic cornucopia." 

‘Atta girl. 

I'm kind of the opposite of you and Krista in this regard.  I don't know nearly enough about music to understand what is going on in a song like Tomorrow Never Knows or I am the Walrus and the nonsensical lyrics of the latter would drop it pretty far down my list. On the other hand, I'm a sucker for a good melody and honest lyrics, so my top 25 is full of very simple songs with lyrics that I can connect to.  I guess the great thing about the Beatles is that when songs range from Yesterday to Helter Skelter they  provide something for just about everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread