Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

(Side note: I hope somebody says something about the use of minor  chords and notes by the Beatles).

Does no one read my write-ups?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, krista4 said:
  • Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood

This was my pick (silently, internally) but 80s has it. But I think this is it. I'd put my 20 here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Future Champs said:

Oh, I remember the name.  Did he ever participate in mix tape drafts?

 

will find some underappreciated songs in a minute

Might have.  He's been in some music drafts here, either alone or with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, krista4 said:

Elvis song.  Good respite in which I can consider all I’ve done wrong.

Shame!

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say it's really hard to find underappreciated songs by the Beatles.  Their catalog is fairly small compared to many of the other great artists, and the quality throughout is so good that we've all listened to everything, repeatedly, already. 

Now a ranking of the Stones, Neil Young, or Bob Dylan would be an entirely different exercise, but I think I in all those cases we'd want to cap the # number of songs.   For example, here's something that would sneak into my top 50 Neil Young songs that I'll bet is relatively unknown:

 

Neil Young - Too Lonely

 

Just a rocker, but it signaled a return to form after about a decade in wilderness.

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that "casual" Beatles' fans appreciate "And Your Bird Can Sing" enough. 
 
Musically speaking, my own personal crank is turned primarily by a particular kind of combustion (not occurring entirely in rock music, though mostly that is where it happens) that has little to do with the "pop" aspects of music that most folks seem to respond to.  That is to say, I truly don't give a fig about a song's "catchiness", its "tunefulness", or whether or not one can bop one's painfully Caucasoid head along to it while driving.  "Danceability" is hahahah whatever chief people manage to dance to Stravinsky and I look like a raccoon drunk on fermented crabapples when I try to perform a movement more artful than "walk briskly in a straight line".  

That said, "And Your Bird Can Sing" burns in the ways that the best rock music does:  it is funny and spiteful and is built around a seemingly endless, hall-of-fame caliber riff as good as "Black Dog" or "Supernaut".  

And Christ if it isn't "catchy" and "hooky" and "fuzzy" and two minutes of absurdly radio-friendly pop music from one of the best bands on the planet at the height of their powers. 

I mean, The Posies, Guided By Voices, Cheap Trick, Game Theory and that whole LA "Paisley Underground" spent whole decades trying to achieve that kind rock/pop/art synthesis and it has just been hanging out there on side B of Revolver this whole time. 

The hell.  Why aren't all of you "power pop" music aficionados jabbering about this song so ceaselessly that I have to mute you on Twitter?  Why the hell do you all keep jabbering about Weezer?  (I mean, I assume.  That's what you were all jabbering about when I muted you on Twitter.) 

  • Like 5
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rockaction said:

It is pretty bleak lyrically. "No one was saved." 

Eesh. Talk about your existential futility.  

That's a feature not a bug! 

11 hours ago, krista4 said:

If I were to try to explain why this one gets me so down as opposed to others that also have depressing lyrics, that would nicely sum it up.

These themes don't get me down. They lift me up. We come and we go. No one is ever saved.  Nothing we do really matters.

We all need to just Let it Be a little more. 

Because nothing is going to change my world. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Does no one read my write-ups?

I'll (re)check, obviously the reading has been great. The writeup on Rigby made me think of that. The minor chords dropping off cliffs are really the true hooks. Maybe it was George all along, I dunno.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mom is coming to visit tomorrrow. I’ve already told her about this thread. I will see if I can get her to share a story or some anecdote.  Might be a hard sell, but she’s pretty f’ing awesome. We shall see. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shaft41 said:

While this is in my top 5, I have no qualms with putting it where you did.  It would have probably been in a similar place for me a couple of years ago, but then something changed it for me.  My oldest daughter is now 16 and a sophomore, but when she got to be about 12-13, she developed a real aversion to being places without us.  She stopped going to friends' houses for sleepovers, and then eventually even to visit at all.  She didn't want friends even coming over to our house.  She became a complete homebody with a fair amount of anxiety.  In 7th grade, she was supposed to go with other students to a music contest all day.  We were to come up later in the afternoon and hear the concert they had prepared all day.  We ended up having her have a meltdown in the parking lot and refusing to get on the bus to go.  She had been blessed with tremendous musical talent, but we were afraid she would never be able to share it with others in public.  

By the tail end of 8th grade, nothing had really changed from a social aspect, but she came home one day and said that she was going to try out for a solo for a spring showcase talent show kind of a thing.  We were really pleased, but apprehensive that as the date approached, she would not be able to go through with it because of her anxiety.  She was very secretive about what she was performing, even though she had asked us for ideas on what to play the piano and sing.  But she would work on it weekly with her piano teacher and didn't even really want to practice it when we were around.  

A week or so before the talent show, we got confirmation that she was, indeed, performing "Let It Be".  Prouder parents, we could not be.  As the day approached, she didn't seem to be showing any signs of fear and anxiety, and we were very optimistic.  The day before the concert, she came down sick.  So sick, in fact, that she couldn't perform the night of the concert and stayed home in bed.  She was bummed, as were we.  A month or so later, her school choir was going to perform an outdoor concert with the band during lunchtime downtown.  We found out that the teacher was going to have some soloists perform as well.  I took the day off of work so I could help transport my parents downtown so we could hear her.  Needless to say, she knocked it out of the park, and I'm not sure I've ever been more proud.  

The lyrics do it for me more now after hearing my daughter sing them.  Coming from the place where she was coming from, just calming down and having the confidence to get up there and let it be and share her gift with the world made them mean more to me.  So, there's no way that song can't be near the top for me now.  

This a Rocky Racoon for me. I have friends who love that song and it's always bugged me. That just isn't a song to be on a hill for. Then I saw my little nephew perform it. Now I think of him every time and I love it. Not the song. That's strong for the song. Love the memory and song makes me smile now. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I'll (re)check, obviously the reading has been great. The writeup on Rigby made me think of that. The minor chords dropping off cliffs are really the true hooks. Maybe it was George all along, I dunno.

I'm not going back through all this ####, but I write about minor chords like [some terrible analogy or simile about minor chords].  I assume some people are sick of hearing about the minor/major transitions and such, but I'll still do it.  You want to add to the Eleanor Rigby analysis, then I'm way into that; my write-up there was mostly to tell people why I didn't like it as much as they do.  With songs like that, that ends up being the idea.  But good lord...if the search function worked, perhaps do a search for the word "minor"?  Or read the thread or something.

6 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

My mom is coming to visit tomorrrow. I’ve already told her about this thread. I will see if I can get her to share a story or some anecdote.  Might be a hard sell, but she’s pretty f’ing awesome. We shall see. 

:heart: 

11 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

That's a feature not a bug! 

These themes don't get me down. They lift me up. We come and we go. No one is ever saved.  Nothing we do really matters.

We all need to just Let it Be a little more. 

Because nothing is going to change my world. 

Well done.  :heart: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

My mom is coming to visit tomorrrow. I’ve already told her about this thread. I will see if I can get her to share a story or some anecdote.  Might be a hard sell, but she’s pretty f’ing awesome. We shall see. 

Tell your mom we think this deserves some love.  In the best way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, krista4 said:

But good lord...if the search function worked, perhaps do a search for the word "minor"?  

This is likely the problem as I tried that. Always reading though, it's great stuff and much appreciated. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DocHolliday said:

Mr K losing it.  Slash kills.  Killed it with GnR and still killing it today.  

He should go ahead and kill himself.  Preferably by choking to death on a plateful of that pointless, tuneless mess of wet noodles that he calls his “solos”.

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I"d like to emphasize that this thread does not encourage suicide or death by any means and that the opinions expressed by any other members of my household do not represent those of the thread as a whole.

  • Like 4
  • Laughing 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Future Champs said:

Tell your mom we think this deserves some love.  In the best way.

When I told her of krista’s Herculean efforts, she was impressed.  “That is no easy task “. She appreciated the F off, these are my(krista) favorites, not the “best of” list.  She giggled at the consternation revolving around penny lame. 

  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Oliver Humanzee said:

He should go ahead and kill himself.  Preferably by choking to death on a plateful of that pointless, tuneless mess of wet noodles that he calls his “solos”.

Thank you. Saw that post and was unsure if it was schtick or not. Awful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

This is likely the problem as I tried that. Always reading though, it's great stuff and much appreciated. Thanks.

You're one of my faves so I'll give a less snarky reply, which is that I can't go back and bump every post, but I do feel like you haven't been reading along if you don't know of the frequent discussion (or soliloquies, by me) of minor/major chord changes.  I can't ask you to go and read 70 pages, though.  We've 34 songs left that you should definitely weigh in on!  

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Oliver Humanzee said:

I don't think that "casual" Beatles' fans appreciate "And Your Bird Can Sing" enough. 
 
Musically speaking, my own personal crank is turned primarily by a particular kind of combustion (not occurring entirely in rock music, though mostly that is where it happens) that has little to do with the "pop" aspects of music that most folks seem to respond to.  That is to say, I truly don't give a fig about a song's "catchiness", its "tunefulness", or whether or not one can bop one's painfully Caucasoid head along to it while driving.  "Danceability" is hahahah whatever chief people manage to dance to Stravinsky and I look like a raccoon drunk on fermented crabapples when I try to perform a movement more artful than "walk briskly in a straight line".  

That said, "And Your Bird Can Sing" burns in the ways that the best rock music does:  it is funny and spiteful and is built around a seemingly endless, hall-of-fame caliber riff as good as "Black Dog" or "Supernaut".  

And Christ if it isn't "catchy" and "hooky" and "fuzzy" and two minutes of absurdly radio-friendly pop music from one of the best bands on the planet at the height of their powers. 

I mean, The Posies, Guided By Voices, Cheap Trick, Game Theory and that whole LA "Paisley Underground" spent whole decades trying to achieve that kind rock/pop/art synthesis and it has just been hanging out there on side B of Revolver this whole time. 

The hell.  Why aren't all of you "power pop" music aficionados jabbering about this song so ceaselessly that I have to mute you on Twitter?  Why the hell do you all keep jabbering about Weezer?  (I mean, I assume.  That's what you were all jabbering about when I muted you on Twitter.) 

I think b/c "And Your Bird Can Sing" was a direct extension of the early Beatles, who were primitive power pop masters.  The mass audience was captivated by the new sounds on Revolver, and this track was sidelined by the shiny new things.   

Personally, I love funny and spiteful, and directly informs my love of some, but not all, punk rock.   

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, krista4 said:

Met Mr. krista for dinner unexpectedly (he left work "early" at 8 pm), so didn't get to more write-ups.  Did hear both "Drive My Car" and "Hey Jude" from the jukebox, and on the way home "I Feel Fine" and "Mother Nature's Son."  

The latter made me think...if you guys could name one or two songs you think are underrated and would really like the other denizens of this thread to give a chance to, which songs would they be?

I might ponder a little more, but off the top of my head "Mother Nature's Son" and "You Won't See Me" come to mind.

I'M SO TIRED! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Thank you. Saw that post and was unsure if it was schtick or not. Awful

Dunno if Doc actually likes Slash or not.  Maybe he just likes big dumb top hats at jaunty angles.

I’m saying that Slash makes awful, pointless music and should in no way be enjoyed even casually.  He’s like bath salts or biker crank.  Whatever cheap jittery buzz you might get from it isn’t worth the brain damage

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

So...

25 years ago I went out with some people after work to a nearby bar.  I was like 25. Most everybody else had just turned 21.

The bar we went to had two levels.  The first level was where the bandstand was.  We all went upstairs to drink.

After a few drinks I started to notice the band downstairs.  Very pop/powerpop/British Invasion.  Like you couldn’t stop tapping your feet.

So I went down to check them out. It was 3 dudes (eventually they added a fourth) in white shirts and skinny ties..with Beatle-like haircuts.  And they rocked.

After a song or two I recognized the drummer as a dude I had known since kindergarten. 

It was kinda shocking because the last time I had heard of these dudes they had once been part of a hard rock/metal band that had tried to make it big on LAI guess they became jaded and disillusioned. They came back to town and decided to reinvent themselves as a mid 60s-esque band called BRIAN JONES WAS MURDERED.

They put out one CD and then dispersed.  I think they played gigs for about a year. 

There will be a link below but it doesn’t do them justice.  

When people ask “who was the best local band you ever saw?” BJWM is my answer. Period.  

Bandcamp is weird.  Sometimes what you want to hear is free.  Other times you gotta pay.  Whatever.

https://brianjoneswasmurdered.bandcamp.com/album/death-of-a-popstar-20th-anniversary-remastered-edition

”So Alone” is my favorite.

Edit: I think incognito mode circumvents the pay feature.

and I’m not suggesting you rip these dudes off...they’re fine financially these days.

 

pretty sweet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want the Beatles to be a rock band, not a pop band, so my underrated pick is I Want You (She’s so Heavy). It’s un-bubble gum, angsty, rocking, heavy (duh) and also features an unusual, almost progressive rock style in the crescendo build up and then sudden death. The crackles and hiss towards the end really elevate it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oliver Humanzee said:

I don't think that "casual" Beatles' fans appreciate "And Your Bird Can Sing" enough. 
 
Musically speaking, my own personal crank is turned primarily by a particular kind of combustion (not occurring entirely in rock music, though mostly that is where it happens) that has little to do with the "pop" aspects of music that most folks seem to respond to.  That is to say, I truly don't give a fig about a song's "catchiness", its "tunefulness", or whether or not one can bop one's painfully Caucasoid head along to it while driving.  "Danceability" is hahahah whatever chief people manage to dance to Stravinsky and I look like a raccoon drunk on fermented crabapples when I try to perform a movement more artful than "walk briskly in a straight line".  

That said, "And Your Bird Can Sing" burns in the ways that the best rock music does:  it is funny and spiteful and is built around a seemingly endless, hall-of-fame caliber riff as good as "Black Dog" or "Supernaut".  

And Christ if it isn't "catchy" and "hooky" and "fuzzy" and two minutes of absurdly radio-friendly pop music from one of the best bands on the planet at the height of their powers. 

I mean, The Posies, Guided By Voices, Cheap Trick, Game Theory and that whole LA "Paisley Underground" spent whole decades trying to achieve that kind rock/pop/art synthesis and it has just been hanging out there on side B of Revolver this whole time. 

The hell.  Why aren't all of you "power pop" music aficionados jabbering about this song so ceaselessly that I have to mute you on Twitter?  Why the hell do you all keep jabbering about Weezer?  (I mean, I assume.  That's what you were all jabbering about when I muted you on Twitter.) 

Excellent post.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, krista4 said:

I"d like to emphasize that this thread does not encourage suicide or death by any means and that the opinions expressed by any other members of my household do not represent those of the thread as a whole.

lawyerly 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, krista4 said:

35.  Please Please Me (Please Please Me, 1963)

approved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, I don't know how anything in the Beatles catalogue could be underrated or an unappreciated gem. Is that possible?

Somebody mentioned "Norwegian Wood", but 1) it's on the much loved Rubber Soul album, and 2) isn't that one always on Top 25/Top 10 lists - usually presented as underrated / underappreciated?

Wikipedia has 280 individual entries for Beatles songs (73 which are covers.) There is no comp for that. Anyone trying to rank them all is completely bonkers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oliver Humanzee said:

 

Dunno if Doc actually likes Slash or not.  Maybe he just likes big dumb top hats at jaunty angles.

I’m saying that Slash makes awful, pointless music and should in no way be enjoyed even casually.  He’s like bath salts or biker crank.  Whatever cheap jittery buzz you might get from it isn’t worth the brain damage

I love and respect Slash's guitar playing.  His playing style isn't for everyone but anyone that thinks Slash cannot play guitar or create great solos knows nothing about guitar playing.   Slash will always be considered one of the great rock guitarists of all time.  

Mr K must have hit that biker crank a little too hard.  

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always thought the aforementioned “If I Needed Someone” was perhaps their most underrated tune. After this thread, the greatness of the tune remains, but probably not as underrated as I thought.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a related note, I think Help! is the closest thing to an underappreciated Beatles album.  There are some  great songs and you can see the transition happening from Beatlemania to what comes after.  It probably didn't help that Rubber Soul was released so soon after Help!.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, krista4 said:

35.  Please Please Me (Please Please Me, 1963)

Suggested cover:  Blondie, why not.  I met Deborah Harry once in New York.  By "met," I mean that she and I came to the same street crossing at the same time that the light turned to "Don't Walk."  She said, "####."  I nodded at her knowingly.

God, I love Deborah Harry. That sounds like her. I don't just love her, though -- I also love Blondie for some reason.  

Well, actually that anecdote sounds like everybody that ever lived, really. She was everybody's punk/new wave princess but so damn real and human, too, and it came through. Talk about young and brave. To do "Rapture" takes some sort of...well, I can't really come up with a backhanded complimentary adjective right now, but that took something.  

Anyway, just struck by this cover and the anecdote.  My brush with greatness was walking along the streets of NY and passing a certain shirtless guy. I also simply nodded. Was on an elevator with Spoon once and couldn't help myself. I had a fit of near-Beatlemania.  

Also happened to say hi to Sway from Yo! MTV Raps and Hot 93.7, but I was a lot less cool about celebrity and more drunk. He was graceful and boomed "Yo! What's up?" 

Nice way to handle it on his end. Spoon was gracious, too.  

That's about it for the band stories. Back to the countdown...

Oh, and I was wondering the same thing Getzlaf did. How did you remember that She Loves You was number two on my list? 

That's some notebooking.  

 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread is showing me just how "casual" a Beatles fan I've been.  I was too young to really be into them while they were still releasing albums, and my siblings are far enough older than me that I don't remember hearing them played at home growing up.  

So I'm familiar with a lot of the really well-known songs, but I'm really loving the stuff that's just slightly less-familiar - songs I recognize when I hear them but don't hear them all that often (e.g., "And Your Bird Can Sing" - OMG those guitars!).  I clearly need to dive into Revolver.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

In my entire life I have never met a truly famous person. 

You serious Clark?  GM says he's coming to Boise soon. 

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oliver Humanzee said:

 

Dunno if Doc actually likes Slash or not.  Maybe he just likes big dumb top hats at jaunty angles.

I’m saying that Slash makes awful, pointless music and should in no way be enjoyed even casually.  He’s like bath salts or biker crank.  Whatever cheap jittery buzz you might get from it isn’t worth the brain damage

I dunno - my first peanut-butter crank experience was rather special. In the course of looking for better stuff after my date shared the produce of her drug purse search with me, we ended up giving a ride to an 85-pound Namvet whose hobby was pleasuring himself on busbenches and home bathrooms of strangers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, krista4 said:

The latter made me think...if you guys could name one or two songs you think are underrated and would really like the other denizens of this thread to give a chance to, which songs would they be?

 

Mr Kite rarely gets enough love. One of John's few paeans to Music Hall, he explores vaudeville & psychedelia simultaneously while keeping to a rocksong form. And, as a lyricist, i find the concept of turning an actual circus poster into a song to be simply magnificent. Great counterpoint, too.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zamboni said:

I’ve always thought the aforementioned “If I Needed Someone” was perhaps their most underrated tune. After this thread, the greatness of the tune remains, but probably not as underrated as I thought.

boom.  Definitely would be on my shortlist for underrated - I have it #7 for my list.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rockaction said:

God, I love Deborah Harry. That sounds like her. I don't just love her, though -- I also love Blondie for some reason.  

Well, actually that anecdote sounds like everybody that ever lived, really. She was everybody's punk/new wave princess but so damn real and human, too, and it came through. Talk about young and brave. To do "Rapture" takes some sort of...well, I can't really come up with a backhanded complimentary adjective right now, but that took something.  

Anyway, just struck by this cover and the anecdote.  My brush with greatness was walking along the streets of NY and passing a certain shirtless guy. I also simply nodded. Was on an elevator with Spoon once and couldn't help myself. I had a fit of near-Beatlemania.  

Also happened to say hi to Sway from Yo! MTV Raps and Hot 93.7, but I was a lot less cool about celebrity and more drunk. He was graceful and boomed "Yo! What's up?" 

Nice way to handle it on his end. Spoon was gracious, too.  

That's about it for the band stories. Back to the countdown...

Oh, and I was wondering the same thing Getzlaf did. How did you remember that She Loves You was number two on my list? 

That's some notebooking.  

 

@Getzlaf15, I’ve meant to ask, could we please (please) let rock redo his rankings to slot She Loves You in there?  It’s awful not to have his #2 song represented on his list.

Rock, I don’t know why I remembered, but I knew you’d referenced that and I Want To Hold Your Hand as your favorites somewhere along the way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oliver Humanzee said:

I don't think that "casual" Beatles' fans appreciate "And Your Bird Can Sing" enough. 
 
Musically speaking, my own personal crank is turned primarily by a particular kind of combustion (not occurring entirely in rock music, though mostly that is where it happens) that has little to do with the "pop" aspects of music that most folks seem to respond to.  That is to say, I truly don't give a fig about a song's "catchiness", its "tunefulness", or whether or not one can bop one's painfully Caucasoid head along to it while driving.  "Danceability" is hahahah whatever chief people manage to dance to Stravinsky and I look like a raccoon drunk on fermented crabapples when I try to perform a movement more artful than "walk briskly in a straight line".  

That said, "And Your Bird Can Sing" burns in the ways that the best rock music does:  it is funny and spiteful and is built around a seemingly endless, hall-of-fame caliber riff as good as "Black Dog" or "Supernaut".  

And Christ if it isn't "catchy" and "hooky" and "fuzzy" and two minutes of absurdly radio-friendly pop music from one of the best bands on the planet at the height of their powers. 

I mean, The Posies, Guided By Voices, Cheap Trick, Game Theory and that whole LA "Paisley Underground" spent whole decades trying to achieve that kind rock/pop/art synthesis and it has just been hanging out there on side B of Revolver this whole time. 

The hell.  Why aren't all of you "power pop" music aficionados jabbering about this song so ceaselessly that I have to mute you on Twitter?  Why the hell do you all keep jabbering about Weezer?  (I mean, I assume.  That's what you were all jabbering about when I muted you on Twitter.) 

This was going to be my #1 pick instead of the Abbey Road Medley.  I suppose it was wrong as well as I doubt the top pick would get this kind of treatment at this point in the thread.  Sweet tune.

The most underrated Beatles tune is "I'm Only Sleeping".  I don't think this is up for debate, right?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Future Champs said:

I will say it's really hard to find underappreciated songs by the Beatles.  Their catalog is fairly small compared to many of the other great artists, and the quality throughout is so good that we've all listened to everything, repeatedly, already. 

Now a ranking of the Stones, Neil Young, or Bob Dylan would be an entirely different exercise, but I think I in all those cases we'd want to cap the # number of songs.   For example, here's something that would sneak into my top 50 Neil Young songs that I'll bet is relatively unknown:

 

Neil Young - Too Lonely

 

Just a rocker, but it signaled a return to form after about a decade in wilderness.

Stones, Dylan and Neil all have deep catalogues that would work well for a similar exercise to this but none of them are as universally loved as the Beatles and would not command this level of following.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, krista4 said:

@Getzlaf15, I’ve meant to ask, could we please (please) let rock redo his rankings to slot She Loves You in there?  It’s awful not to have his #2 song represented on his list.

Rock, I don’t know why I remembered, but I knew you’d referenced that and I Want To Hold Your Hand as your favorites somewhere along the way.

Heh. It's all good. It can stand. I would imagine everything is compiled and ready to go, so I'll just let it ride. I'll remember for next time. Thanks for the lobbying, though.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bonzai said:

This was going to be my #1 pick instead of the Abbey Road Medley.  I suppose it was wrong as well as I doubt the top pick would get this kind of treatment at this point in the thread.  Sweet tune.

The most underrated Beatles tune is "I'm Only Sleeping".  I don't think this is up for debate, right?

Regarding "And Your Bird Can Sing," you seem to assume that Mr. krista remembers what my #1 song is.  It took him three tries a couple of weeks ago to get it, and I doubt that it stuck.  :lol:

When we got to my top 50 and I asked which song stood out as not belonging, two people listed "I'm Only Sleeping" as their choice.  Maybe that proves your point!

50 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Heh. It's all good. It can stand. I would imagine everything is compiled and ready to go, so I'll just let it ride. I'll remember for next time. Thanks for the lobbying, though.  

They're not locked and loaded, since I think he still has Man of Constant Sorrow compiling his, and he'll have to add mine as well when we get to it.  It's simple enough just to give She Loves You 24 more points and subtract one point from each of your prior 2-25!

(I say that, of course, as a person who doesn't have to do it.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, krista4 said:

They're not locked and loaded, since I think he still has Man of Constant Sorrow compiling his, and he'll have to add mine as well when we get to it.  It's simple enough just to give She Loves You 24 more points and subtract one point from each of your prior 2-25!

(I say that, of course, as a person who doesn't have to do it.)

Rock's list took about 5 PM's. It would take about 100 intern hours to recreate it.

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Rock's list took about 5 PM's. It would take about 100 intern hours to recreate it.

:lol:  Didn't you say, though, that you're going to post everyone's lists after we're done?  So you would have it somewhere, right?

ETA:  OK, I'll mind my business and start writing up another song.  :) 

Edited by krista4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

:lol:  Didn't you say, though, that you're going to post everyone's lists after we're done?  So you would have it somewhere, right?

ETA:  OK, I'll mind my business and start writing up another song.  :) 

Yes, I'm going to post all his emails (I get PM's emailed to me) and let you guys try to figure it out.

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.