Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

3 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I see ktvb ascribes to the "no limits on commericial volume" to get their money.  

It was so shockingly loud I jumped enough that I knocked over my drink and I think I peed a little.  

After two days of John, today is Paul day in the thread!

23.  And I Love Her (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Another deceptively simple but stunningly gorgeous composition by Paul, but let's give George an assist for coming up with that four-note intro and playing all of the guitar parts so beautifully.  It's those four notes that draw me in and make me give a little gasp and swoon as soon as this song comes on.  With all the Beatles much more famous riffs in mind, I still count this as possibly my favorite.  Incredibly, this song was originally recorded with an electric guitar; I simply can't imagine not having those amazing acoustic strums.

When I think of George's guitar work, the word "tasteful" always comes to mind.  I feel a little Andrés Segovia vibe from this song (it also wouldn't feel out of place in an Ennio Morricone-composed soundtrack), but George never goes further with that than he should.  His solo is where I most strongly get that feel, and I love it; that chord change in the solo s devastating in a good way.   

Even though I find George the star of this particular Paul show, I don't want to understate Paul's contributions to...errrr, his own song.  Paul sings with warmth but without syrup.  The repetition of the lyrics might seem a negative to some, but to me it works to emphasize the plaintive melancholy of the song.  I find these lyrics every bit as evocative as those of "Yesterday"; while they seem cheerful read separately, they also seem to be expressing a loss through the mournful melody.  If these lyrics were sung to a different composition, I'd likely dismiss them (and the song) as silly; it's this tension between those lyrics and the sorrowful presentation of them that makes the song intriguing.  What happened to her?  Paul, by the way, pointed out a different subtle aspect of the song that he thought was quite clever and important to the lyrical structure:  "The 'And' in the title was an important thing, 'And I Love Her.'  It came right out of left field; you were right up to speed the minute you heard it.  You would often go to town on the title, but this was almost an aside, 'Oh...and I love you.'"

Also there are bongos and claves.

Simple, but magical and majestic.

Mr. krista:  "It’s a great song.  Harmonies are beautiful.  Lyrics are simple and perfect and don’t #### themselves up trying to be more complicated.  Everything does its job well.  Finished lines and started lines – if you have something good, just play it again. It’s a rock song, not a novel. You don’t need to jam it full of ideas. You have one great musical idea so just use it.  It’s evocative, but also substantive.  It’s satisfying on its own.  Nope, that’s delicious.  And everything served that phrase really well."

Suggested cover:  Paul's favorite cover of this song is from Esther Phillips.  I'd also like to make a public plea here that we will one day soon be able to add the @wikkidpissah cover here.

• Like 10

brb, gonna go fire up a @wikkidkrista profile.

Full disclosure: I won't do this (create the ID).  If it happens, it's not me. 

Edited by Mister CIA
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, krista4 said:

23.  And I Love Her (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)\

Moves up 5 spots on Composite List!

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Another deceptively simple but stunningly gorgeous composition by Paul, but let's give George an assist for coming up with that four-note intro and playing all of the guitar parts so beautifully.  It's those four notes that draw me in and make me give a little gasp and swoon as soon as this song comes on.  With all the Beatles much more famous riffs in mind, I still count this as possibly my favorite.  Incredibly, this song was originally recorded with an electric guitar; I simply can't imagine not having those amazing acoustic strums.

When I think of George's guitar work, the word "tasteful" always comes to mind.  I feel a little Andrés Segovia vibe from this song (it also wouldn't feel out of place in an Ennio Morricone-composed soundtrack), but George never goes further with that than he should.  His solo is where I most strongly get that feel, and I love it; that chord change in the solo s devastating in a good way.   

Even though I find George the star of this particular Paul show, I don't want to understate Paul's contributions to...errrr, his own song.  Paul sings with warmth but without syrup.  The repetition of the lyrics might seem a negative to some, but to me it works to emphasize the plaintive melancholy of the song.  I find these lyrics every bit as evocative as those of "Yesterday"; while they seem cheerful read separately, they also seem to be expressing a loss through the mournful melody.  If these lyrics were sung to a different composition, I'd likely dismiss them (and the song) as silly; it's this tension between those lyrics and the sorrowful presentation of them that makes the song intriguing.  What happened to her?  Paul, by the way, pointed out a different subtle aspect of the song that he thought was quite clever and important to the lyrical structure:  "The 'And' in the title was an important thing, 'And I Love Her.'  It came right out of left field; you were right up to speed the minute you heard it.  You would often go to town on the title, but this was almost an aside, 'Oh...and I love you.'"

Also there are bongos and claves.

Simple, but magical and majestic.

Mr. krista:  "It’s a great song.  Harmonies are beautiful.  Lyrics are simple and perfect and don’t #### themselves up trying to be more complicated.  Everything does its job well.  Finished lines and started lines – if you have something good, just play it again. It’s a rock song, not a novel. You don’t need to jam it full of ideas. You have one great musical idea so just use it.  It’s evocative, but also substantive.  It’s satisfying on its own.  Nope, that’s delicious.  And everything served that phrase really well."

Suggested cover:  Paul's favorite cover of this song is from Esther Phillips.  I'd also like to make a public plea here that we will one day soon be able to add the @wikkidpissah cover here.

complete oversight on my part.  Love this song.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

Just missed my list.     And now only on three lists....:bag:    It's a great song.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

You're the second person to say this.  I demand a recount!

With that one posted, the only song left on my list that we know is not in my top 10 is "All My Loving."  It appears on With The Beatles, which I didn't list as a source of my top 10.

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

You're the second person to say this.  I demand a recount!

There are so many great songs that only appeared on 1-3 lists. Some will be shocking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I'm kicking you out of the thread.

fight me

8 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

There are so many great songs that only appeared on 1-3 lists. Some will be shocking.

I think everyone should have been required to do a #1-204 list, to make the results more accurate.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, ScottNorwood said:

fight me

I'm a lover not a fighter.

Well, not so much a lover either.  But definitely not a fighter.

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

I think everyone should have been required to do a #1-204 list, to make the results more accurate.

would make #164 more accurate for sure .  :D   #softball . 

2 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I meant at nintendo boxing

• Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I like the idea of that list.  :thumbup:

10 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Like Flying? 😉

Ok, been busy bustin balls... I need to catch up around my earlier drive-bys.

Lemme looky.

Last two are awesome songs. Both made my 26-83 tier. 

Thus, my higher picks have languished a little longer. Woot. 

Keep a rockin K4! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Binky The Doormat said:

I like the idea of that list.  :thumbup:

There are 71 of them.  143 total on the list.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, krista4 said:

You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just popping in to say thanks to everyone for this incredible thread.  Special thanks to Krista for the incredible work.  Unbelievable writing.  

I grew up as a child listening to the Beatles in long car trips across the Canadian prairies (all seasons) to visit relatives in a 1980 Pontiac sunbird with my (then) single Mom.  She was a Beatles nut.  

I linked her up with this thread.  She loves it and loves Krista.  “Why didn’t you marry someone like that?!”  Lol.  

Anyway, tip of the cap.  Best thing this forum has ever produced.  

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I'm up to 84

.What's.. carry the 4..no..wait. ER! 

What's adding an as yet uncalculated amount gonna really add to the endeavor?  Really nuthon.. Right K4? 🤔😁

Cry baby cry
Make Getzlaf sigh
Your new project just exploded

Sky baby hiiiiigh

The King Getzlaf the Great was in the office
Making spreadsheets for Queen K

Queen K was in the post box taking new lists for the labors of the King. 

Cry baby cry

Make Getzlaf sigh

His project has quintuppled

And raised by a power of 5.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I'm up to 84

.What's.. carry the 4..no..wait. ER! 

What's adding an as yet uncalculated amount gonna really add to the endeavor?  Really nuthon.. Right K4? 🤔😁

Cry baby cry
Make Getzlaf sigh
Your new project just exploded

Sky baby hiiiiigh

The King Getzlaf the Great was in the office
Making spreadsheets for Queen K

Queen K was in the post box taking new lists for the labors of the King. 

Cry baby cry

Make Getzlaf sigh

His project has quintuppled

And raised by a power of 5.

I'm game as long as Rock doesn't send me a list.  Binky I'm sure is done with his by now.

• Laughing 2

19 minutes ago, zoonation said:

She loves it and loves Krista.  “Why didn’t you marry someone like that?!”  Lol.  

Mr krista will be firing up his 204-item countdown thread on these reasons shortly.

Thanks for such a kind post (and thanks to zoomom as well).  Glad you’re here. :) 

Edited by krista4
  • Like 2

Public Device Announcement:

I have been experiencing bad, bad insomnia for 2 months now because of leg, foot and hand pain from neuropathy. 

My Dr. prescribed me a few Ambien to try. 

I just tried one. 

An hour ago. 

If I make less sense than my usual nonsense, then ya'll know why. 

Coocoo Choo chop Pooh! 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, krista4 said:

I'd also like to make a public plea here that we will one day soon be able to add the @wikkidpissah cover here.

y'know, i was just talking about this Sunday with my bff, the guy i first worked on this with. Hard Day's Night is his favorite Beatle album and he thinks he has pieces of us knocking each of those songs around on his Tascam handheld somewhere (just today, when someone brought up Gerry & the Pacemakers, i listened to a disc of him & i doiing Ferry 'Cross the Mersey together that way 20some yrs ago). Unfortunately, i had the r&b angle on AILH for the bridge and beyond only until we brought it to his wkend band. the guitar player Kenny loved it and he came up with this descending minor thing in full fuzz like something George would come up with the really set the tone for it. we practiced it a few times and i sang it with them at a couple of summer bbqs.

if my pal cant come up w a disc, maybe i can do bridge & beyond a capella for you (karaoke wouldnt work for my arrangement) on the site Nipsey uses or sumn. best i can think of til i can make it to a cosjob cornhole

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I have been experiencing bad, bad insomnia for 2 months now because of leg, foot and hand pain from neuropathy. 

I just tried one. 

An hour ago. 

Coocoo Choo chop Pooh! 

careful, my friend. it's effective for sleep, but relying on that stuff can scramble your entire psyche. have you tried gabapentin or cymbalta yet?

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I just tried one. 

An hour ago. 

Coocoo Choo chop Pooh! 

I'm looking through you.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Mister CIA said:

I'm looking through you.

Did you see all the emotions I shared as your emoticon reaction record rolled and rode my roller brain pan coaster? 

How many reactions stick? Like in vault? 

Do you actually See what you see Through? 😛

• Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

careful, my friend. it's effective for sleep, but relying on that stuff can scramble your entire psyche. have you tried gabapentin or cymbalta yet?

Gabap. +vymb. No. Type inh is very truo. J boive okay print testing 1 2 3 okay voiceworks typing doesn't is seen above after just after William Barr was sworn in as attorney general last week it's closing CNN space the final frontier testing. Paragraph paragraph space double space return Terrier 

Okay I'm trying to use the voice command my hands don't work Wicked what was your warning space again? Frown smiley

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, Mister CIA said:

Does anyone else want to see @wikkidpissah 's top 200 Stones songs, ranked?

i'm just not a list guy. love to fire off impressions & certainly have a much stronger connection to the first dozen Stones albums than Beatles albums but havent a studious bone in my body. the extraordinary work k4 is doing not only requires that obvious passion but a skill for preparing briefs honed over many years. hell, i can't even prepare my own briefs - theyre riding up as i write this

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Gabap. +vymb. No. Type inh is very truo. J boive okay print testing 1 2 3 okay voiceworks typing doesn't is seen above after just after William Barr was sworn in as attorney general last week it's closing CNN space the final frontier testing. Paragraph paragraph space double space return Terrier 

Okay I'm trying to use the voice command my hands don't work Wicked what was your warning space again? Frown smiley

that's a deadbang impression of what an Ambien user sounds like if awoken mid-med

• Like 1
  • Laughing 4

22.  She Loves You (single, 1963)

BAM!  BAM BAM!  I love the way this song absolutely explodes out of the gate, as if we'd been launched somehow magically into the middle of it.  Speaking of exploding, if "I Want To Hold Your Hand" changed everything for the Beatles in the US, this one had the same effect in the UK, becoming the band's first million-seller.  No less than the Prince of Darkness himself credits it with igniting his love of music and establishing what he would do with his life.  I recall hearing an interview in which Ozzy describes the first time he heard as having gone to bed in one world, and waking up in an entirely different world.  When we talk about the influence the Beatles had over other musicians, we can't forget the impacts that those musicians then had on others to come.  If the Beatles changed Ozzy's whole world and gave him the impetus to enter music, then they're also responsible for everyone that Black Sabbath then in turn drove to do the same.

Influenced by the Bobby Rydell song, "Forget Him," Paul came to John with the idea of having a third-person song, but once the idea took hold, this was a true collaboration between the two of them.  The "yeah yeah yeah"s were a source of controversy within the control room and within Paul's own household!  Norman Smith said that he saw the lyric sheets and all those "yeah yeah"s and thought, "I am not going to like this one."  Paul's dad was also upset at the use of too many "Americanisms" -  why not say a proper English “Yes, yes, yes” instead?  I guess we shouldn't even get into the "wooo"s.

So many aspects of this song deserve mention - not just that blast start, but the weaving in and out of those harmonies above the frequent chord changes, and the beautiful melody underlying all that exuberance.  Ringo's tom-tom work, the syncopation at the end of certain measures of the verses, and that triplet on the snare just after the "yeah."  George's little guitar fills punctuated under the vocal.  The drop-down to the emphatic "love like that" that precedes the (very first?) "Beatles break," and then those glorious final harmonies and euphoric repeat of the "yeah yeah yeah"s.  That chord...wait, another chord discussion?  Yes!  I'm talking of the final chord, which was an odd major sixth chord with George playing the sixth and John and Paul playing a third and fifth, of a type used in old-fashioned songs like those of Glenn Miller.  George came up with the idea, but surprisingly George Martin argued against it as being too jazzy and corny.  The band won out, though, and that chord stands out now as one of the most interesting and innovative parts of the song.  

The manic, powerhouse sound might have been inspired in part by the energy and excitement surrounding the recording of the song, which sounded like a riot.  I don't just mean "fun," but like nearly an actual riot.  Although the Beatles booked their studio time under the name, "The Dakotas," somehow the fans always knew when the band was going to be there and would start showing up hours in advance.  On this day, the band had a photo session in the alleyway a few hours before the session, so the fans started gathering in even larger numbers.  As the group started to tune up, though, Neil and Mal (the roadies) left the studio, only to return minutes later shouting, "FANS!!!"  John asked what they were bloody well talking about, but before they could answer, the door flew open and a particularly determined teenage girl flew in and headed for Ringo.  While Neil managed to tackle her, at the same time the rest of the swarm of fans broke through security and raced around the EMI studios madly searching for the Fab Four.  In the chaos, Geoff Emerick poked his head out the studio door:  "It was an unbelievable sight, straight out of the Keystone Kops:  scores of hysterical, screaming girls racing down the corridors, being chased by a handful of out-of-breath, beleaguered London bobbies.  Every time one would catch up with a fan, another two or three girls would appear, racing past, screeching at the top of their lungs. ... Doors were opening and slamming shut with alarming regularity, terrified staffers were having their hair pulled (just in case they happened to be a Beatle in disguise), and everyone in sight was running at top speed. ... Ringo, still on his drum stool, seemed a bit shaken, but John, Paul, and George soon began taking the piss, racing around the room, giggling and screeching in imitation of the poor fan who had launched herself at him."  :lmao:   

Mr. krista:  "It rocks really hard.  They were such a tight band.  [Narrator:  That’s all you got?]  I think a lot has been said about that song. Ringo’s drumming is great; he makes really great choices.  Like it almost goes into half-time but it doesn’t; creates just enough space to make it interesting.  They were all really good musicians, but it’s kind of amazing how much better they got, too."

Suggested cover:  Despite being convinced there was no way anyone could cover the energy and excitement of this song, I screened several dozen covers.  I was right to begin with.  However, I did find these comedic readings by Peter Sellers, which I'm assured by the title of the YouTube listing are "very funny."

• Like 9
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

BAM!  BAM BAM!  I love the way this song absolutely explodes out of the gate, as if we'd been launched somehow magically into the middle of it.  Speaking of exploding, if "I Want To Hold Your Hand" changed everything for the Beatles in the US, this one had the same effect in the UK, becoming the band's first million-seller.  No less than the Prince of Darkness himself credits it with igniting his love of music and establishing what he would do with his life.  I recall hearing an interview in which Ozzy describes the first time he heard as having gone to bed in one world, and waking up in an entirely different world.  When we talk about the influence the Beatles had over other musicians, we can't forget the impacts that those musicians then had on others to come.  If the Beatles changed Ozzy's whole world and gave him the impetus to enter music, then they're also responsible for everyone that Black Sabbath then in turn drove to do the same.

Influenced by the Bobby Rydell song, "Forget Him," Paul came to John with the idea of having a third-person song, but once the idea took hold, this was a true collaboration between the two of them.  The "yeah yeah yeah"s were a source of controversy within the control room and within Paul's own household!  Norman Smith said that he saw the lyric sheets and all those "yeah yeah"s and thought, "I am not going to like this one."  Paul's dad was also upset at the use of too many "Americanisms" -  why not say a proper English “Yes, yes, yes” instead?  I guess we shouldn't even get into the "wooo"s.

So many aspects of this song deserve mention - not just that blast start, but the weaving in and out of those harmonies above the frequent chord changes, and the beautiful melody underlying all that exuberance.  Ringo's tom-tom work, the syncopation at the end of certain measures of the verses, and that triplet on the snare just after the "yeah."  George's little guitar fills punctuated under the vocal.  The drop-down to the emphatic "love like that" that precedes the (very first?) "Beatles break," and then those glorious final harmonies and euphoric repeat of the "yeah yeah yeah"s.  That chord...wait, another chord discussion?  Yes!  I'm talking of the final chord, which was an odd major sixth chord with George playing the sixth and John and Paul playing a third and fifth, of a type used in old-fashioned songs like those of Glenn Miller.  George came up with the idea, but surprisingly George Martin argued against it as being too jazzy and corny.  The band won out, though, and that chord stands out now as one of the most interesting and innovative parts of the song.  

The manic, powerhouse sound might have been inspired in part by the energy and excitement surrounding the recording of the song, which sounded like a riot.  I don't just mean "fun," but like nearly an actual riot.  Although the Beatles booked their studio time under the name, "The Dakotas," somehow the fans always knew when the band was going to be there and would start showing up hours in advance.  On this day, the band had a photo session in the alleyway a few hours before the session, so the fans started gathering in even larger numbers.  As the group started to tune up, though, Neil and Mal (the roadies) left the studio, only to return minutes later shouting, "FANS!!!"  John asked what they were bloody well talking about, but before they could answer, the door flew open and a particularly determined teenage girl flew in and headed for Ringo.  While Neil managed to tackle her, at the same time the rest of the swarm of fans broke through security and raced around the EMI studios madly searching for the Fab Four.  In the chaos, Geoff Emerick poked his head out the studio door:  "It was an unbelievable sight, straight out of the Keystone Kops:  scores of hysterical, screaming girls racing down the corridors, being chased by a handful of out-of-breath, beleaguered London bobbies.  Every time one would catch up with a fan, another two or three girls would appear, racing past, screeching at the top of their lungs. ... Doors were opening and slamming shut with alarming regularity, terrified staffers were having their hair pulled (just in case they happened to be a Beatle in disguise), and everyone in sight was running at top speed. ... Ringo, still on his drum stool, seemed a bit shaken, but John, Paul, and George soon began taking the piss, racing around the room, giggling and screeching in imitation of the poor fan who had launched herself at him."  :lmao:   

Mr. krista:  "It rocks really hard.  They were such a tight band.  [Narrator:  That’s all you got?]  I think a lot has been said about that song. Ringo’s drumming is great; he makes really great choices.  Like it almost goes into half-time but it doesn’t; creates just enough space to make it interesting.  They were all really good musicians, but it’s kind of amazing how much better they got, too."

Suggested cover:  Despite being convinced there was no way anyone could cover the energy and excitement of this song, I screened several dozen covers.  I was right to begin with.  However, I did find these comedic readings by Peter Sellers, which I'm assured by the title of the YouTube listing are "very funny."

My #23 :clap:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

that's a deadbang impression of what an Ambien user sounds like if awoken mid-med

I'm AWAKE! 😀

Seriously, only feeling mild dissociation at present, but fingers are really clumsy now:

1) neuropathy makes me clumsy in hands

2) ambien seems to make it worse everywhere 

3) minor fractal dimension vision adds some flavor as well. 

Very relaxed, but still could not sleep. 

I only got enough for 3 uses. Doesn't seem like something I want. Takes too long to do things. 

And since it did not put me to sleep, I'm guessing I'm gonna have to do things. 

Ok. Go. 😎

9 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

My #23 :clap:

:hifive: I was going to feel bad about having @rockaction's #2 song at 20something on my list, but then he omitted it entirely!  Whew!

ETA:  Seems like our lists aren't so far apart after all, though I still have both "I'm So Tired" and "Across The Universe" coming up, both of which I know you don't like.

Edited by krista4
  • Like 1

Since last summer I've had all 204 of these in my ever-changing order of preference on a Spotify playlist, which is what I've used to listen over and over and over and move the songs up and down.  The list ended up with these last two in order looking like this:

She Loves You

And I Love Her

Looks like the makings of a rom-com!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I'm AWAKE! 😀

Seriously, only feeling mild dissociation at present, but fingers are really clumsy now:

I only got enough for 3 uses. Doesn't seem like something I want. Takes too long to do things. 

Ok. Go. 😎

Turn off your screen GB. Read a book of paper. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I'm AWAKE! 😀

Ok. Go. 😎

I've tried Ambien, and not only does it do weird stuff to you, but it did nothing  to help me sleep!  If it doesn't work for you, try my most successful cocktail after years and years of experimenting:  Trazodone + melatonin + (if sneezy) Benadryl.  Gets me 4-5 hours uninterrupted, usually.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, krista4 said:

BAM!  BAM BAM!  I love the way this song absolutely explodes out of the gate, as if we'd been launched somehow magically into the middle of it.  Speaking of exploding, if "I Want To Hold Your Hand" changed everything for the Beatles in the US, this one had the same effect in the UK, 

Maybe with American  teenagers and adults but, the morning after Sullivan, all the kids @ Blessed Sacrament Elementary could sing was "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" and "Wooooooooo!!!"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Maybe with American  teenagers and adults but, the morning after Sullivan, all the kids @ Blessed Sacrament Elementary could sing was "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" and "Wooooooooo!!!"

I think you're agreeing with what I wrote...

• Like 1