What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (5 Viewers)

:lmao:   I saw that there was a Carpenters cover out there but hadn't listened, not knowing how deliciously awful it would be.  (And I do like Karen Carpenter.)
:lol:   Paul did give her a compliment in the past saying she had "the best female voice in the world: melodic, tuneful and distinctive." I don't know if that comment had anything to do with their cover of the Beatles song though, which was actually the first single ever by The Carpenters. Paul also said in the past that "We've Only Just Begun" was his and Linda's favorite song as newlyweds, and he also had Richard and Karen sit in on a session with him when he was solo.  Paul was a Carpenters fan!

Ticket to Ride, way overrated. It's a good tune, but top 20? When / if folks ask me what I'd bump out of the "upper echelon" to include some dark horses (I've mentioned "I Want You (She's So Heavy and She's Leaving Home, for instance), Ticket to Ride and Taxman would be the tunes I'd bump.
Unless you're talking about my list specifically (which, why would you?), I could hardly see "I Want You" as a darkhorse.  I think it's overall very well regarded.  Maybe "She's Leaving Home" is less so, but mostly because it's dreck.

The best beat of any Beatles song belongs to Ticket to Ride.  Just a fabulous swing.  
Are you saying, by chance, that it's A RINGO SHOWCASE!????

Last edited by a moderator:
Husker Du is a great call for a cover of Ticket to Ride. To mix things up, I'll throw out the horribly great version by Vanilla Fudge who have a way with reworking original tunes in all new but less listenable ways. I love the Fudge. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMrR8y8xurA
:lol:   Love that description!

:lol:   Paul did give her a compliment in the past saying she had "the best female voice in the world: melodic, tuneful and distinctive." I don't know if that comment had anything to do with their cover of the Beatles song though, which was actually the first single ever by The Carpenters. Paul also said in the past that "We've Only Just Begun" was his and Linda's favorite song as newlyweds, and he also had Richard and Karen sit in on a session with him when he was solo.  Paul was a Carpenters fan!
She had a phenomenal voice.  She should stay off drums the same way Ringo should stay off vocals.   :lol:  

Unless you're talking about my list specifically (which, why would you?), I could hardly see "I Want You" as a darkhorse.  I think it's overall very well regarded.  Maybe "She's Leaving Home" is less so, but mostly because it's dreck.
I didn't need to add a ;)  here, did I?  LMK.

17.  Here Comes The Sun (Abbey Road, 1969)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Although this song is musically much more intricate and complicated than it seems, I'm not going to drone on and on about the musicality or analyze the structure, because what I love about this song is that it's joyous and luminous and perfect.  The song came about in a way that, based on the lyrics, isn't at all surprising.  George was getting fed up with all the business parts of being a musician, including all the tension at Apple due to the hiring of Allan Klein, the meetings with bankers and lawyers, the never-ending paperwork:  "Anyway, it seems as if winter in England goes on forever; by the time spring comes you really deserve it. So one day I decided I was going to sag off Apple and I went over to Eric Clapton's house. The relief of not having to go and see all those dopey accountants was wonderful, and I walked around the garden with one of Eric's acoustic guitars and wrote Here Comes The Sun."

This is the last George song recorded by the Beatles, and sadly John did not participate in it due to first his car accident and then...I dunno, being John, I guess.  The song isn't lacking anything by John's absence, though.  George's vocal on this song is so sweet and pure, and he's supported well by a mysterious group of orchestral musicians that have never been identified, Paul on lovely backing vocals and bass, and especially by Ringo doing what Ringo does best - providing subtle support for the song and then adding a bit of depth where needed with fills and changes.  The time signatures and changes in the song are incredible, but since I vowed not to analyze composition and structure, I"ll just tell you that George first described the song to Ringo as being "in seven-and-one-half time," and the song is variously in 7/8, 11/8, 4/4, and 2/4!

One unusual part worth mentioning is that George using a Moog synthesizer, which had only just been invented and George had had specially made.  George admitted that when it arrived he had absolutely no idea how to use this monstrous contraption, which I think turned out well because the simple sounds he was able to get out of it complemented the song beautifully without going overboard.

Seems fitting that the last song from "Quiet Beatle" would be so quietly perfect.

Mr. krista:  "That’s a great song.  Seems like a song Stevie Wonder could have written, but with a great George Harrison riff."

Suggested cover:  Please enjoy one of my top five favorite Beatles covers of all time:  Richie Havens  Here's his entire set at Woodstock, including this song
To be consistent with some of my other personal rankings, this song should be lower on my list.  But it isn't - its way up in my top 5.....debated putting it at #1 at some point.   It's just such a beautiful song that never fails to lift my spirits.  One of a handful of songs that are on my "having a bad day" playlist.   Great song.  Evokes the emotions one might have after seeing the sun for the first time in months......literally or figuratively.

Can't argue with Paul about Karen's voice.  

To be consistent with some of my other personal rankings, this song should be lower on my list.  But it isn't - its way up in my top 5.....debated putting it at #1 at some point.   It's just such a beautiful song that never fails to lift my spirits.  One of a handful of songs that are on my "having a bad day" playlist.   Great song.  Evokes the emotions one might have after seeing the sun for the first time in months......literally or figuratively.
Yeah, I definitely had to give up on consistency, too.

16.  Ticket To Ride (Help!, 1965)

IT'S A RINGO SHOWCASE!  I'm not surprised at anyone guessing this as my #1 or in my top 10, what with it being A RINGO SHOWCASE! and all.  It missed out only because there are so many ####### great Beatles songs.

John described this song as one of the first heavy-metal songs, and he took credit for all but the drum parts on it, while Paul saw it as more of a 60/40 collaboration favoring John.  I don't know who's correct, though with Paul contributing not only the drum arrangement but the bass, backing vocals, and the guitar solos, he certainly contributed significantly even if not in the songwriting.  And I don't know that I'd call it "heavy metal," but the drums, the guitars and the overall fullness of the sound were certainly heavy for the time.  I just know it's in my top 16 for being A RINGO SHOWCASE!

I don't want to downplay all the other great stuff going on in this RINGO SHOWCASE!  There's some great guitar work by Paul on this song in the solos on the bridges and especially in the fade-out, and I love Ringo's shimmering tambourine that ends the solo on the bridge.  I love John's cold, dry vocal, and Paul adds some amazing harmonies that fittingly lack the sweetness of earlier works; there's a little "ahhhh" that John does ~2:30-2:31 that ####### melts me.  The coda at the end is marvelous, bringing in a new element in double-time with the "my baby don't care" line that hadn't been heard before.  But what makes it A RINGO SHOWCASE! starts at the very beginning, with a short fill and then that crazy syncopated drum pattern that fills the verses.  His overdubbed tambourine on the second and fourth beats serves to enhance how unusual the drumbeats are. Then in the bridge, the drums switch to a standard beat and Ringo utilizes the hi-hat for the first time, with a double-time tambourine also by Ringo in an overdub (actually coming in one beat early on the first bridge but not the second), offering a dramatic contrast to the syncopated verses.  And - again with the fills - Ringo has a series of fills in which he never plays the same fill twice!  Truly (all together now) A RINGO SHOWCASE!

Mr. krista:  "I love how seamlessly he goes right to that hi-hat.  If you watch the YouTube, you can see how boring and dumb that song would be otherwise. Watching reminds me of how everybody I know writes a drum or bass part, but he made something interesting in service of the song.  He came up with a beat that was uniquely him and also makes the song.  It’s not the same song without that beat, and it’s very instructive.  You have to listen to a lot of rock to see the standard way, but when something deviates from that, it’s like describing a void – they didn’t do xyz.  I love that song.  It’s one of the main reasons why Ringo is the best, a fantastic drummer."  (Obviously he knows this is A RINGO SHOWCASE!)

Suggested cover:  Take a heavy song and make it heavier?  Nice!  Hüsker Dü
This song was one of the very last I dropped in order to make the 25 cutoff. 

Your write-up is spot on. 👍

I only wish you had mentioned Ringo... 😔

😜

15.  Help! (Help!, 1965)

"Help!"  What an amazing blast start!  Even more amazing is that, while John literally screamed for help over and over in this song, it wasn't until later that any of his bandmates actually recognized it as a genuine cry for help, nor did John himself:  "When Help! came out, I was actually crying out for help. ... I didn't realise it at the time... The whole Beatle thing was just beyond comprehension.  I was eating and drinking like a pig, dissatisfied with myself, and subconsciously I was crying out for help.  So it was my fat Elvis period. ... And I am singing about when I was so much younger and all the rest, looking back at how easy it was.  Anyway, I was fat and depressed and I was crying out for help"  I guess the upbeat nature of the music disguised the genuine anguish of the lyrics in this, probably the first song of self-reflection that John wrote for the Beatles.  Later John mentioned to May Pang that, of all his songs, this was probably his favorite but also the one he also wished he could do over:  like "Please Please Me" the Beatles had sped up the tempo on this song to make it more commercially viable, and John would like to have re-recorded it as a slower, more soulful, emotive ballad.  I'd love to have heard that.

Though this is a "John song," my favorite aspect of the song was contributed by Paul, which are those glorious countermelodies, in my opinion the best in any Beatles song.  Having heard the song hundreds of times, I'm still fascinated every time by where they choose to go and the way in which they're delivered.  As mentioned in the first word of this write-up, I love that immediate panicked "Help!" to start the song, with John's vocal following in an increasingly desperate manner but balanced with those disarmingly cool, calm backing vocals.  Chord change nerdiness!  The initial minor chords combine with John's screams on the first few lines to give a feeling of urgency or even panic, while the harmonies then join to drive the chords back down into a major tone, giving the sense that the panic is being assuaged.  The backing vocals themselves offer beautiful harmonies in a backward call-and-response style, taking the lead as "call" as often as they do the "response"...sorta.  They weave in and out and at times feel like they're stabbing into the lead vocal, almost ridiculing him and taking the song in a seemingly frenetic direction, but with the sneering feel of the vocals lending a dark air at the same time.  The drum fills and descending arpeggios on the guitar add to the agitation of the first verses and choruses, until we're launched into a third verse that suddenly takes us down into a place of relative peace, with only John on acoustic guitar and soft bass notes from Paul.  The sense of peace is belied by John's increasingly intense vocal, though, and so it's no surprise when the instruments join again for a final chorus that vehemently increases the sense of panic and desperation, but lands on that odd chord change to emphasize the final word, "me."

Of course, you could also just listen to this song as if it were the title track for a James-Bond-style film.  It's great as that, too. ;)  

No discussion of this song would be complete unless I linked the video for it, which I can never get enough of.  John and George know how to play to the camera, Paul is being greasily eager, and Ringo...ah, Ringo.  Just take one run-through watching nothing but Ringo when he's onscreen.   :lmao:  

Mr. krista:  "What a burner, what a great way to open a record.  Help?  12-string is so pretty.  It’s clear they’ve gotten better.  Is this when he started getting his Rickenbacker?  The drums sound particularly good too, especially the snare which had sounded weak and flabby.  Just a monster song.  Grabs your attention and is like over, done."

Suggested covers:  If you don't like this you can't be my friend:  Dolly Parton.  Also there's this:  Lil Wayne.  And also this:  The Damned.

SEVENTH SONG  IN THE TOP 10!  Only five correct guesses on Mister CIA fave “I’ve Just Seen A Face,” which isn’t surprising given the strength of the album as a whole, having landed five in my top 25. None of the leaders got that one, and they now have several people nipping at their heels with three correct.

Current Leaders (four correct)

simey

pecorino

tim

Bonzai

A Day In The Life

Shaft 41

Bonzai

Ted Lange 

Atomic Punk

bananafish

Heckmanm

fatguy

ilov80s

ManofSteelhead

Getzlaf

ScottNorwood

rockaction

simey

Dr. Octopus

tim

Spock

Tom Hagen

mike9289

Binky

pecorino

Across The Universe

ManofSteelhead

ScottNorwood

Mister CIA

simey

pecorino

And Your Bird Can Sing

Bonzai

ScottNorwood

Mister CIA

Simey

tim

Tom Hagen

Alex P Keaton

pecorino

For No One

Shaft41

Tim

I’m So Tired

Bonzai

Uruk

Abbey Road medley

Shaft

Bonzai

Ted Lange

bananafish

heckmanm

fatguy 

Ilov80s

Getzlaf

simey

Dr. Octopus

tim

Spock

Uruk

Alex P Keaton

Binky

pecorino

I’ve Just Seen A Face

fatguy

Ilov80s

Mister CIA

Tom Hagen

mike9289

15.  Help! (Help!, 1965)
Of all of their HUGE songs this one never really did it for me. Don’t get me wrong...it’s great...but not “Beatles great”.

All of the individual parts are there but when put together they don’t blow me away. :shrug:

A wise man once said  “I found that a hit record Is like a stew. All the ingredients have to cook together just right. Otherwise, it's just soup.”

Of all of their HUGE songs this one never really did it for me. Don’t get me wrong...it’s great...but not “Beatles great”.

All of the individual parts are there but when put together they don’t blow me away. :shrug:

A wise man once said  “I found that a hit record Is like a stew. All the ingredients have to cook together just right. Otherwise, it's just soup.”
And this one is a stew. 

Digging deep, I see.

Obviously I love this stew, but you're not the first person with semi-decent taste I know who didn't enjoy this one that much.

:lmao:   His head will explode!
No ####### ####...

Here's what I got...

My top 25 in alphabetical order:

A Day In The Life 
A Hard Days Night
Abbey Road Medley
Across The Univere
All My Loving
All You Need Is Love
And Your Bird Can Sing
Ballad of John and Yoko
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
Blackbird
Can't Buy My Love
Dear Prudence
Dig A Pony
Don't Let Me Down
Elanor Rigby
Fixing A Hole
Fool on the Hill
Get Back
Glass Onion
Hello, Goodbye
Help!
Here Comes The Sun
Here, There, And Evreywhere
Hey Jude
I Am The Walrus
I Me Mine
I'm Looking Through You
I'm Only Sleeping
I'm So Tired
I've Got A Feeling
I've Just Seen A Face
If I Needed SOmeone
In My Life
Let It Be
Love Me Do
Lovely Rita
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Magical Mystery Tour
Maxwelll's Silver Hammer
Michelle
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Octopus' Garden
O! Darling
One After 909
Paperback writer
Penny Lane
Revolution (the good one)
Something
Strawberry Fields Forever
Twist and Shout
We Can Work It Out
What Goes On
When I'm Sixty-Four
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
With A Little Help From My Friends
Yellow Submarine
Your Mother Should Know

THIS IS 58 SONGS .   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

16.  Ticket To Ride (Help!, 1965)

IT'S A RINGO SHOWCASE!  I'm not surprised at anyone guessing this as my #1 or in my top 10, what with it being A RINGO SHOWCASE! and all.  It missed out only because there are so many ####### great Beatles songs.

John described this song as one of the first heavy-metal songs, and he took credit for all but the drum parts on it, while Paul saw it as more of a 60/40 collaboration favoring John.  I don't know who's correct, though with Paul contributing not only the drum arrangement but the bass, backing vocals, and the guitar solos, he certainly contributed significantly even if not in the songwriting.  And I don't know that I'd call it "heavy metal," but the drums, the guitars and the overall fullness of the sound were certainly heavy for the time.  I just know it's in my top 16 for being A RINGO SHOWCASE!

I don't want to downplay all the other great stuff going on in this RINGO SHOWCASE!  There's some great guitar work by Paul on this song in the solos on the bridges and especially in the fade-out, and I love Ringo's shimmering tambourine that ends the solo on the bridge.  I love John's cold, dry vocal, and Paul adds some amazing harmonies that fittingly lack the sweetness of earlier works; there's a little "ahhhh" that John does ~2:30-2:31 that ####### melts me.  The coda at the end is marvelous, bringing in a new element in double-time with the "my baby don't care" line that hadn't been heard before.  But what makes it A RINGO SHOWCASE! starts at the very beginning, with a short fill and then that crazy syncopated drum pattern that fills the verses.  His overdubbed tambourine on the second and fourth beats serves to enhance how unusual the drumbeats are. Then in the bridge, the drums switch to a standard beat and Ringo utilizes the hi-hat for the first time, with a double-time tambourine also by Ringo in an overdub (actually coming in one beat early on the first bridge but not the second), offering a dramatic contrast to the syncopated verses.  And - again with the fills - Ringo has a series of fills in which he never plays the same fill twice!  Truly (all together now) A RINGO SHOWCASE!

Mr. krista:  "I love how seamlessly he goes right to that hi-hat.  If you watch the YouTube, you can see how boring and dumb that song would be otherwise. Watching reminds me of how everybody I know writes a drum or bass part, but he made something interesting in service of the song.  He came up with a beat that was uniquely him and also makes the song.  It’s not the same song without that beat, and it’s very instructive.  You have to listen to a lot of rock to see the standard way, but when something deviates from that, it’s like describing a void – they didn’t do xyz.  I love that song.  It’s one of the main reasons why Ringo is the best, a fantastic drummer."  (Obviously he knows this is A RINGO SHOWCASE!)

Suggested cover:  Take a heavy song and make it heavier?  Nice!  Hüsker Dü
This was my #1. And I'm sure I was projecting that when I also predicted it as k4's #1.

If an alien landed and told me I had 3 minutes to show why the Beatles were great, this is the record I'd play. Everything they ever did well either led to or sprung from this one. 

I think it's John's first mature vocal and I don't know that he ever topped it. I don't know that he ever bested this lyric, either. I've never been quite sure exactly what he's trying to say here, other than "I'm lazy, she's not, I lose" - which is the perfect way to describe John.

The band on this record is in full control of what they're doing, and they're doing it better than anyone before or since. The playing and singing is breathtaking, as is the production. This record shimmers, man. 

That's my last write-up for tonight.  The next one will probably take a while.  As I mentioned in posts that no one reads, I have a bright line above #15, and then another bright line above #13, so the next two are in my coveted tiny second tier.

I shall now commence inserting more links in the first post.   :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my #1. And I'm sure I was projecting that when I also predicted it as k4's #1.

If an alien landed and told me I had 3 minutes to show why the Beatles were great, this is the record I'd play. Everything they ever did well either led to or sprung from this one. 

I think it's John's first mature vocal and I don't know that he ever topped it. I don't know that he ever bested this lyric, either. I've never been quite sure exactly what he's trying to say here, other than "I'm lazy, she's not, I lose" - which is the perfect way to describe John.

The band on this record is in full control of what they're doing, and they're doing it better than anyone before or since. The playing and singing is breathtaking, as is the production. This record shimmers, man. 
Fantastic.  For some reason I would never have picked this as your #1.  Obviously I think it's a nice choice, but you failed to mention that it's A RINGO SHOWCASE!

That's my last write-up for tonight.  The next one will probably take a while.  As I mentioned in posts that no one reads, I have a bright line above #15, and then another bright line above #13, so the next two are in my coveted tiny second tier.

I shall now commence inserting more links in the first post.   :rant:
Obviously it's hard to search for a song. Especially with this search "engine". Suggested hack: use a unique word you might have used in the write-up or one you remember from a response. Like "cornucopia".  Might help you find some quick ones 🤷‍♂️ 

No ####### ####...

Here's what I got...

My top 25 in alphabetical order:

A Day In The Life 
A Hard Days Night
Abbey Road Medley
Across The Univere
All My Loving
All You Need Is Love
And Your Bird Can Sing
Ballad of John and Yoko
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite
Blackbird
Can't Buy My Love
Dear Prudence
Dig A Pony
Don't Let Me Down
Elanor Rigby
Fixing A Hole
Fool on the Hill
Get Back
Glass Onion
Hello, Goodbye
Help!
Here Comes The Sun
Here, There, And Evreywhere
Hey Jude
I Am The Walrus
I Me Mine
I'm Looking Through You
I'm Only Sleeping
I'm So Tired
I've Got A Feeling
I've Just Seen A Face
If I Needed SOmeone
In My Life
Let It Be
Love Me Do
Lovely Rita
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Magical Mystery Tour
Maxwelll's Silver Hammer
Michelle
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Octopus' Garden
O! Darling
One After 909
Paperback writer
Penny Lane
Revolution (the good one)
Something
Strawberry Fields Forever
Twist and Shout
We Can Work It Out
What Goes On
When I'm Sixty-Four
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
With A Little Help From My Friends
Yellow Submarine
Your Mother Should Know

THIS IS 58 SONGS .   :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
####. I think I forgot 2 songs   :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread