What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (6 Viewers)

8.  For No One (Revolver, 1966)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

For all my inconsistency, there's one thing I believe I've been consistent on, which is that I much prefer Paul's more personal songs to those about fictitious worlds.  It's fitting that the two purely Paul songs in my top 10 (I'll give him 85% of the Abbey Road medley) fit this category, and in fact that are opposite ends of the same spectrum, from first moments of love in "I've Just Seen A Face" to the end of love in this song.  When he's not just spitting out perfect pop songs - when he stops being polite and starts getting real (hey, I love terrible reality TV) - he writes lyrics that are as deeply affecting as John's or anyone else's.

While there's much to love about this song, I have to start there, with the lyrics, because those are the main reason this song is propelled into my top 10.  I think "You Won't See Me" and "I'm Looking Through You" have some devastating lyrics, but they fall more into bitterness than deep sorrow, and none of them compare to the misery of these:

And yet you don't believe her when she says her love is dead
You think she needs you

Or:

You stay home, she goes out
She says that long ago she knew someone but now he's gone
She doesn't need him

Or, the most devastating part:

And in her eyes you see nothing
No sign of love behind the tears
Cried for no one

To repeat:  "cried for no one."  She has erased you completely. I love how Paul wrote this in the second person, to pull us even more strongly into the story and make us relate to what is occurring.  It feels as if it's just happened to me.  Good god, it practically brings me to tears simply reading the lyrics.

This song is so despondent that it could have slipped into maudlin in the hands of someone not named Paul, John, or George.  Paul is clearly too brilliant to let that happen, so instead of cheesing it up with a bunch of orchestration or backing vocals, he kept it very simple with single-tracked vocals with no harmonies, little reverb, subtle hi-hats, and piano and clavichord on the verses, then bringing in light bass and tambourine beginning with the chorus.  Neither John nor George played on this song, though John frequently referred to this as one of Paul's best works, "superb" even.  Just Paul, Ringo, and Alan Civil, the French horn player.   

I adore the piano parts on the choruses, and as a piano player I always air play them when they come on, which can be a problem since I'm usually driving when I hear this.  Love the use of the clavichord, too, and Paul's vocal is gorgeous, with a cold affect that works to cast him as the narrator of someone else's pathos.  The change from major to minor keys from the verse to the chorus accentuates the most despairing lyrics, and the transition back into major through the addition measure at the end of the choruses is a lovely, unexpected touch.

What's special about the instrumentation of this song, though, is obviously that French horn.  Paul had loved the French horn as a child and wanted to use it here, so George Martin arranged for Alan Civil, formerly of the London Philharmonic and at that time the principal horn player for the BBC Symphony Orchestra, to join the session.  When Martin asked Paul what he wanted Civil to play, Paul tried to sketch it out as a vocal.  As Martin wrote it out, he came to the end and explained to Paul that the high E was the furthest the French horn could go, not the F that Paul wanted.  Paul was not dissuaded:  "We came to the session and Alan looked up from his bit of paper: 'Eh, George? I think there's a mistake here – you've got a high F written down. Then George and I said, 'Yeah,' and smiled back at him, and he knew what we were up to and played it. These great players will do it. Even though it's officially off the end of their instrument, they can do it, and they're quite into it occasionally."  Geoff Emerick describes Martin as having played a bit of a middleman between the two generations - the "kids" like Paul who didn't understand any limitations, and the more staid generation of Civil and Martin who weren't quite sure how to relate to this new type of musician, but appreciated being included in it.  

The solo that Civil laid down was extraordinary, including that high F, somehow expressing a loss even deeper than that suggested by the lyrics.  Sometimes music can suggest what mere words are insufficient to express.  As much as I love the solo, I'm even more entranced by the way the horn reappears in the last verse, softly repeating a portion of its solo on top of Paul's vocal, as if one last memory of this love affair appears and then fades away.  It's magical.  I also love the ending of this song...if you hadn't heard it before, you might expect a resolution, an additional note to get you back down into the home key, but instead the last note floats out there and it just...ends.  That's it, life sucks, sorry, g'bless.

Mr. krista:  "“Was that a real song?  I mean, was it when he broke up with Jane Asher or something?  It’s really cold, and the ending is cold.  What’s the JD Salinger short story?  Seymour Glass is the protagonist.  It’s a couple at a resort, and then the guy walks off the elevator and kills himself.  It seemed like that.  Where it only hinted at loneliness and despair, then it makes it explicit. Ended just like that song ended."

Suggested covers:  Much like Otis Redding, if there's an Emmylou Harris cover you can be guaranteed I'm going to post it.  Good chance I'll always post a Diana Krall cover (this one with James Taylor), too.
Man, I love this song.  It's my #6.  And, I really only developed an appreciation for it in the last 2 months.  At first, I loved the melody and was entranced by the french horn solo.  Then, I started listening to the lyrics, and "devastating" is the only apt word to describe them.  Did I read he wrote this on a boat in the Bahamas or something?  If so, you're surrounded by paradise and all this beauty, and you're just wrecked from your relationship falling apart and crumbling around you and you write this?  Unimaginably brilliant.  

Every time @krista4 posts a song now, I wonder how I left it out of my top 25 - and then I look at my top 25 and I honestly only see two songs that I could boot to make room and not feel like I was throwing away an old photo album with pictures I could never part with. Only my #24 and #25 songs seemed to have been just thrown in there because I couldn't bear sorting it out anymore.

ETA: and even those two songs bring me joy.
I have a 35 minute drive to work.  Each morning, that drive is spent listening to Breakfast with the Beatles.  This morning, I probably heard about 10 or 11 songs during my drive.  AND I LOVED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.  Not just, "Hey, that song's pretty good."  I mean, loved them.  And, when I look at my top #25, only one of them is in it.  It's freakin' insane.  And these songs ran the gamut from 1964 on.  

Probably won’t be able to do any write-ups until late this afternoon at earliest.  I mention this so that no one thinks I haven’t posted because I’m busy writing up all eight sections of the medley.
Let's get a move on and wrap this up so @Binky The Doormat can begin his Todd retrospective and i can post my examination into the heuristics of Bananarama.

Man, I love this song.  It's my #6.  And, I really only developed an appreciation for it in the last 2 months.  At first, I loved the melody and was entranced by the french horn solo.  Then, I started listening to the lyrics, and "devastating" is the only apt word to describe them.  Did I read he wrote this on a boat in the Bahamas or something?  If so, you're surrounded by paradise and all this beauty, and you're just wrecked from your relationship falling apart and crumbling around you and you write this?  Unimaginably brilliant.  
Wow. Great way of describing your reaction to this song!   Man.   

Mrs APK saw me writing about this and said "how was this not in your top 25?!   Wtf is wrong with you?"

7.  Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown) (Rubber Soul, 1965)

It’s my favorite song about an affair and my favorite song featuring arson, but only my second favorite Beatles song with “bird” in the title!  

This song hooks me immediately with that opening lyric, one of my top Beatles lyrics: “I once had a girl or should I say she once had me.”  Though John later acknowledged the song was about an affair, he claimed not to remember its being about any specific woman; he also stated that he had no idea where the title of the song came from.  Given that this was written in John’s self-described “Dylan phase,” it’s not surprising that the lyrics are more abstract and ambiguous in a Dylan fashion. John also made the lyrics purposefully cryptic so as not to upset his wife about the subject matter.  As a result, though, Beatles fans have spent 50+ years debating the meanings of each line, including the “I lit a fire” line, which some people believed referred to starting a fire in a fireplace or lighting up a joint.  But Paul has confirmed instead that it indeed meant the protagonist burned everything to the ground as an act of revenge. 

Musically this song is most notable for George’s sitar work, the first time a Beatle played a sitar on one of their songs.  Inspired by a Ravi Shankar record, George had bought a poor-quality sitar from a local shop and started messing around with it.  When they’d finished the backing track for this song, the guys thought it still needed something, so George pulled it out.  It’s hard to imagine now how a sound so crucial to this song was basically an afterthought.  And as with so many other groundbreaking ideas from the band, once the Beatles did it, everyone else did, too.

This is a song I love not for any one element but overall atmosphere and mood.  While it’s all beautiful – this is one of my favorite melody lines, and the harmonies switched to a minor key on the bridge are gorgeous – it’s also feels furtive and slightly off balance.  The waltz time ( @rockaction alert!) would suggest a more straightforward narrative, but instead the lyrics make the song’s ambience allusive.  On top of that impressionistic atmosphere are placed unusual elements such as the sitar, adding to the uncertainty.  It’s extraordinarily mature and complex songwriting for such an early time in their careers, and the musical presentation of the ideas is perfectly.

Mr. krista:  "Clearly an amazing song.  Hardly any English language did that.  It’s no wonder Haruki Murakami wrote a whole novel about it.  For such a song that was his straightest, least weird novel.  Everything works in accord with one another.  You couldn’t pull one aspect out and have it still remain.  It all seems necessary."

Suggested cover:  Lots of jazz artists have covered this one, which makes sense.  I like this Kurt Elling version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaft41 said:
I have a 35 minute drive to work.  Each morning, that drive is spent listening to Breakfast with the Beatles.  This morning, I probably heard about 10 or 11 songs during my drive.  AND I LOVED EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.  Not just, "Hey, that song's pretty good."  I mean, loved them.  And, when I look at my top #25, only one of them is in it.  It's freakin' insane.  And these songs ran the gamut from 1964 on.  
I have this happen a lot, too!  It's especially noticeable since I started doing this; I'll be in the car and I'm LOVING a song and realize I ranked it in the 130s or something.

bananafish said:
 I occasionally write fiction and I always name the protagonist Seymour after Seymour Glass (that's about as deep as it gets with me).
I think this is cool.

6.  A Day In The Life (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

It's opposite day in the write-ups; I'm not going to say much about this song, while I have comparatively a dissertation from Mr. krista. I'm not saying much, because c'mon.  There are like whole books that have written about just that final chord, so no one needs me talking about how much I love the drum fills (which are amazing, by the way).  I'm far from alone in stating that this is the best song the Beatles ever recorded.  It might be the best song anyone has ever recorded.

Mr. krista:  "That’s a pretty great song.  I like the part where you can hear someone talking, counting bars out loud on a shaker, that was supposed to be edited out but they ended up leaving it in.  The recording of that song took about 34 hours.  The entire Please Please Me album was 10:45.  Things were different then.  Can’t tell if it’s a major or a minor chord at the end.  Clearly many different instruments, but I don’t know if they’re all tuned differently.  I like the sped up part.  Always thought that was one’s life flashing before one’s eyes.  It might be the last time you hear the Beatles all working meaningfully toward the same goal.  The atonal, discordant crescendo – there’s whole genres of music based on that, and I really like a lot of those records.  It’s hard to believe that the most popular band in the world was doing stuff like this.  That’s just bonkers to me.  It’d be like if Taylor Swift put out a drony, death-metal record.  How is that possible?"

Suggested cover:  Chris Cornell

krista4 said:
Here's who's left in the "guess my #1" thingie.  No one chose four of the songs that made my top 10:  Across The Universe, And Your Bird Can Sing, For No One, and I've Just Seen A Face. 

1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  3. Spock – Rain
  4. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  5. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  6. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  7. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  8. Atomic Punk – A Day in the Life
  9. Mrs. Punk – In My Life
  10. bananafish – Abbey Road medley
  11. bonzai – Abbey Road medley
  12. Sebowski – I’m So Tired
Three of my five favorite songs weren't selected by anyone, so we're down to only "In My Life" and the medley as the possible winners.  

krista4 said:
9.  Rain (single, 1966)

Suggested cover:  This is so disappointing.  Some musical heavy-hitters apparently love this song, because I listened to all their versions - from Freddie Mercury to Fairport Convention, Gregg Allman to Todd Rundgren, even listened to the Grateful Dead! - and I disliked all of them.  Why oh why can't someone do a great cover of this song?   :cry:   
Pearl Jam, August 20, 2016 Wrigley Field.

Pearl Jam, August 20, 2016 Wrigley Field.
His voice sounds good but the music isn't heavy enough for me, though that could just be recording quality.  Oddly it seems like they also performed it exactly two years later; I liked that one more because you could hear the bass a lot better.

6.  A Day In The Life (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967)

It's opposite day in the write-ups; I'm not going to say much about this song, while I have comparatively a dissertation from Mr. krista. I'm not saying much, because c'mon.  There are like whole books that have written about just that final chord, so no one needs me talking about how much I love the drum fills (which are amazing, by the way).  I'm far from alone in stating that this is the best song the Beatles ever recorded.  It might be the best song anyone has ever recorded.

Mr. krista:  "That’s a pretty great song.  I like the part where you can hear someone talking, counting bars out loud on a shaker, that was supposed to be edited out but they ended up leaving it in.  The recording of that song took about 34 hours.  The entire Please Please Me album was 10:45.  Things were different then.  Can’t tell if it’s a major or a minor chord at the end.  Clearly many different instruments, but I don’t know if they’re all tuned differently.  I like the sped up part.  Always thought that was one’s life flashing before one’s eyes.  It might be the last time you hear the Beatles all working meaningfully toward the same goal.  The atonal, discordant crescendo – there’s whole genres of music based on that, and I really like a lot of those records.  It’s hard to believe that the most popular band in the world was doing stuff like this.  That’s just bonkers to me.  It’d be like if Taylor Swift put out a drony, death-metal record.  How is that possible?"

Suggested cover:  Chris Cornell
Funny, I never noticed the bar count until the take included on the Anthology.  Now I can’t unhear it.

Sugarplum fairy, sugarplum fairy...

Funny, I never noticed the bar count until the take included on the Anthology.  Now I can’t unhear it.

Sugarplum fairy, sugarplum fairy...
Funny, I’ve always heard that count. It presumably goes to 24, you know, hours in a day. I believe this is the most commonly covered Beatles song that Phish does. No link, they are easy to find online and fairly true to the original. Still fantastic to hear live. I agree with wikkid, Leroy Hoard and krista that this is, more or less objectively, the Beatles best song and possibly the greatest piece of popular music ever written. 

Album Hi Lo Avg Med
----- --- --- --- ---
Please Please Me 35 202 131 147
With the Beatles 12 194 140 149
A Hard Day’s Night 23 161 82 72
Beatles for Sale 56 185 137 149
Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band 6 165 92 89
Magical Mystery Tour 44 197 143 160
The Beatles (aka White Album) 10 204 114 120
Yellow Submarine 31 171 114 127

Yet to be completed: Help! (1), Rubber Soul (1), Revolver (1),  Abbey Road (1), Let it Be (1)

Hard Day's Night still holding on to the lead despite having nothing ranked above 23.

Funny, I’ve always heard that count. It presumably goes to 24, you know, hours in a day. I believe this is the most commonly covered Beatles song that Phish does. No link, they are easy to find online and fairly true to the original. Still fantastic to hear live. I agree with wikkid that this is, more or less objectively, the Beatles best song and possibly the greatest piece of popular music ever written. 
:lmao:  But not with me, for saying it first?

ETA:  DOES NO ONE READ MY WRITE-UPS?

Huh. I'm going to insist that there are songs I like better on Pet Sounds, which this was supposed to be the answer to. 

Personal preference. I sort of like my vocals ascending to the heavens rather than discordant orchestras. 

But it's still brilliant.  I love the time signature change, piano, and Paul. "And somebody spoke and I went into a dream..." 

Then John adds backing. Quite lovely. I'm still missing the counting, I think. 

Regardless, totally worth a listen again. Love it.  

My favorite part of this song is right after Paul sings, "Somebody spoke and went into a dream" and then John goes, "Aaaaaahh Aaaaaahhh, Aaaahhhhhh, Aaaahhhh, etc."  Love those dreamy aaahhs.
Uh, oh my. See the post below yours.  

eta* We wrote it at nearly the same time.  

My favorite part of this song is right after Paul sings, "Somebody spoke and went into a dream" and then John goes, "Aaaaaahh Aaaaaahhh, Aaaahhhhhh, Aaaahhhh, etc."  Love those dreamy aaahhs.
I love that part, too!

Other favorites:

The little piano fills, especially the one after "the English army had just won the war," which combines with the drum fill to be particularly intense, and all of the fills in Paul's middle part.

Someone's (John's?) heavy breathing after the line "I noticed I was late."

Every Ringo fill and how they all seem to be different, but especially the one above, the one after "he blew his mind out in a car," and all of the ones in the last verse about the holes, which all sound like he is drumming what the lyrics are saying!

The alarm sound ~2:18, which was another happy accident.  Mal Evans set off the clock's alarm, and it ended up fitting the lyrics that followed, so it was left in (also because they couldn't find a way to edit it out).

Huh. I'm going to insist that there are songs I like better on Pet Sounds, which this was supposed to be the answer to. 

Personal preference. I sort of like my vocals ascending to the heavens rather than discordant orchestras. 

But it's still brilliant.  I love the time signature change, piano, and Paul. "And somebody spoke and I went into a dream..." 

You can hear it most clearly starting ~1:52-1:53.

If we are taking greatest songs of the 60s, I do think Good Vibrations has an edge on A Day in the Life.

Wow, that's a tough call.
Yep, yep all time classics. I like A Day in the Life but one could argue it’s two very good song fragments that were never fully fleshed out so they just got stuck together. It obviously works incredibly well and it’s a masterpiece but I’m not entirely sure why it works so well. 

Yep, yep all time classics. I like A Day in the Life but one could argue it’s two very good song fragments that were never fully fleshed out so they just got stuck together. It obviously works incredibly well and it’s a masterpiece but I’m not entirely sure why it works so well. 
Good Vibrations is basicly the same setup. Mike Love provided the chorus to Wilson's main theme.

Good Vibrations is basicly the same setup. Mike Love provided the chorus to Wilson's main theme.
GV takes shifts but thematically it’s much more unified. It feels like one song to me much more than A Day in the Life which has what I assume is the effect of a collage. I never feel the two parts of A Day in the Life ever meet where I feel they do in Good Vibrations. In both cases it’s what makes them great.

Funny, I’ve always heard that count. It presumably goes to 24, you know, hours in a day. I believe this is the most commonly covered Beatles song that Phish does. No link, they are easy to find online and fairly true to the original. Still fantastic to hear live. I agree with wikkid that this is, more or less objectively, the Beatles best song and possibly the greatest piece of popular music ever written. 
HARD CHEESE THERE PAL!!!

...and after that grate performance with your lucky guesses and all.   :)

Users who are viewing this thread