What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (14 Viewers)

Just got home from hospital visit for the "-scopies". 🤕🏥

Hiatial hernia seems to be my issue regarding my stomach. Good news I think. 👍Coulda been worse. 

Bad news - nothing is ever simple. All the laxatives they gave me to take at home before the procedure did not even come close to flushing me out. 

Well, I did throw up a lot. 😖

At the hospital they fed me mega lax's - oh boy! Both ends were expelling. 😂

And of course, that meant more time in hospital. 

Worst part tho - I still haven't finished my "I'm So Tired" comments and I have missed quite a few posts here. 

Gonna catch up, now that I am home. 

Finally, krista4, I know you are a poop expert... I really could have used some guidance here! 🤔

If I need a follow up, I'll be sure to pm you for advice! 🙂

I took the scope today, oh boy.

Digestive system just don't make the grade

But I just can't rela-ax

Took too much megala-ax

I blew a hole out in my tubes

I didn't noticed that my pipes had changed

A crowd of doctors stood & stared

Wanted to prod & poke

Until i pooped enough to fill a dozen Krista jooookes

I love to tu-u-u-rn you-ou-ou-ou o-o-o-on

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the scope today, oh boy.

Digestive system just don't make the grade

But I just can't rela-ax

Took too much megala-ax

I blew a hole out in my tubes

I didn't noticed that my pipes had changed

A crowd of doctors stood & stared

Wanted to prod & poke

Until i pooped enough to fill a dozen Krista jooookes

I love to tu-u-u-rn you-ou-ou-ou o-o-o-on
This has totally made my day! 😂

Butt, when you think about it... 

....other than here... 

...(wait for it)...

This has been a pretty poopy day for me. 😬

😘

Tell me - is following experience an echo of anastesia, a manic's delusional "idea of reference", a cosmic synchronicity or just dumb random noise? 

As soon as a finished posting and reading here, I turned on the news. 

The man began, "... a massive dump, they saw it coming. It's not unexpected..." - actual story, as I eventually learned, was about the wiki leaks email dump. Ha. OK. 

So, I power up my phone, come here, look at the newest 1st page:

1st thread I see... 

... CRAP Machines?! 😳

I was tempted to click on it and submit my application for the machine job. 🤔

Hiatial hernia seems to be my issue regarding my stomach. Good news I think. 👍Coulda been worse. 
I have a hiatal hernia. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but when it has been aggravated it makes me feel nauseous. 
Me three!  Doc said it wasn't worth cutting me open over.  Not sure how I got it, but every once in a while I get a case of atomic hiccups, Ricther scale 10-ish.  Pretty sure that was it.

Mister CIA said:
Me three!  Doc said it wasn't worth cutting me open over.  Not sure how I got it, but every once in a while I get a case of atomic hiccups, Ricther scale 10-ish.  Pretty sure that was it.

Mister CIA said:
Odd. 

I can think of lots of good reasons to cut ya open. 🤔

Mister CIA said:
simey said:
Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I have a hiatal hernia. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but when it has been aggravated it makes me feel nauseous. 
Everybody's got a hiatal hernia except me and my monkey.  :sadbanana:

Everybody's got a hiatal hernia except me and my monkey.  :sadbanana:
:lmao:   I'm not kidding that I was reading through the thread and thought I'd update the thread title to exactly this.  My thread titles have been waning since all my interns quit.  Now I can't use this one either.   :lmao:  

Just got home from dinner.  Definitely no write-ups tonight.  Tomorrow morning's a mess at work, too, so late afternoon is the best I can do.  I am hoping to post #4 and #3 tomorrow so we can have the Big Reveal on Friday, as it should be.  

@Rustoleum, I thought about your fun idea for a while but I don't think I can make it work.  My write-ups for #2 and #1 will make it clear which is which, and I don't want to modify what I'm writing to try to "mask" stuff.  Love the thought, though.

4.  I've Just Seen A Face (Help!, 1965)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

At the other end of the spectrum from "For No One," this time Paul describes the breathless feeling of the first inklings of falling in love.  It's a simple song in comparison to many of my other favorites, but it's perfect in the way it propels you through, with that fast tempo and the lyrical cascades expressing the insistent nature of these feelings.  I love the all-acoustic nature (first time recorded for a Beatles song, though later that day "Yesterday" became the second), beginning with those falling, double-tracked triplets that make me feel like I'm actually, y'know, falling.  Then the song moves into a folk, almost-Bluegrass sound, with no bass and with only Ringo joining the guitars by brushing the snare.  

The first verse is sung without Paul's having taken a breath, adding to the urgency and excitement he's expressing; he's able to repeat this on the fourth verse as well.  The choruses feature Paul harmonizing with himself, and his vocals in these sections even outdo what he accomplishes in the verses.  This song ranks high on the "can I sing along to it" scale, as I can sing both of the vocal parts (not at the same time) just as Paul did, albeit not with quite that same skill.  Paul's acoustic accompaniment and George's 12-string work, in particular his solo, are excellent, and Ringo adds the perfect C&W feel with the brushed snares and maracas.

The lyrics are simple on their face, but, when combined with the propulsion of the tempo and the cascades, they perfectly capture that sense of head-over-heels infatuation.  I love the internal rhyme schemes as well, which give more texture to the verses' vocal that doesn't jump around on many notes.  For instance, on these lines, note how the three sets of rhymes often come mid-measure:  "I have never known the like of this I've been alone and I have missed things and kept out of sight but other girls were never quite like this."  

Pure pop/C&W/folk/bluegrass perfection from Paul.

Mr. krista:  “I love that song.  First, the guitar part in the beginning is really fine playing, not pretentious.  Song is so fast, with that anticipatory feeling of falling in love that you really believe him.  Kind of repeats himself, in that feeling of lalala, you know what I’m talking about because I’m a dude whistling to get laid.  Not many love songs invoke that feeling of falling in love, that excitement and anticipation.  Kind of a master song writer thing."

Suggested cover:  Leon Russell intensified bluegrass version.  Brandi Carlile does a decent cover, but only live, with crowd noise that I find too distracting to link any of them.

Such a great song and so fun. I remember being maybe 13 and my dad taking me to Harmony House to buy a Beatles CD. I had discovered classic rock and listened to his Sgt Peppers CD 100x over. Then I got the red and blue greatest hits albums but this was my first time picking out an album of my own. I don’t know why I chose Help. It just called to me. Of course I loved Help and Ticket to Ride but the song that blew me away from the first listen was I’ve Just Seen a Face. Being a kid who was experiencing that kind of excitement and attraction and wonder that’s only possible in those early teen years, this song encapsulated how I felt better than anything I had ever heard. It’s actually only in the last few years that I’ve realized the song isn’t my hidden gem but a song so many other feel the same way about. It spoke to 13 year olds across 40 years and 3 generations. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a great song and so fun. I remember being maybe 13 and my dad taking me to Harmony House to buy a Beatles CD. I had discovered classic rock and listened to his Sgt Peppers CD 100x over. Then I got the red and blue greatest hits albums but this was my first time picking out an album of my own. I don’t know why I chose Help. It just called to me. Of course I loved Help and Ticket to Ride but the song that blew me away from the first listen was I’ve Just Seen a Face. Being a kid who was experiencing that kind of excitement and attraction and wonder that’s only possible in those early teen years, this song encapsulated how I felt better than anything I had ever heard. It’s actually only in the last few years that I’ve realized the song isn’t my hidden gem but a song so many other feel the same way about. It spoke to 13 year olds across 40 years and 3 generations. 
Love this.  These personal stories make me so happy!

At the other end of the spectrum from "For No One," this time Paul describes the breathless feeling of the first inklings of falling in love.  It's a simple song in comparison to many of my other favorites, but it's perfect in the way it propels you through, with that fast tempo and the lyrical cascades expressing the insistent nature of these feelings.  I love the all-acoustic nature (first time recorded for a Beatles song, though later that day "Yesterday" became the second), beginning with those falling, double-tracked triplets that make me feel like I'm actually, y'know, falling.  Then the song moves into a folk, almost-Bluegrass sound, with no bass and with only Ringo joining the guitars by brushing the snare.  

The first verse is sung without Paul's having taken a breath, adding to the urgency and excitement he's expressing; he's able to repeat this on the fourth verse as well.  The choruses feature Paul harmonizing with himself, and his vocals in these sections even outdo what he accomplishes in the verses.  This song ranks high on the "can I sing along to it" scale, as I can sing both of the vocal parts (not at the same time) just as Paul did, albeit not with quite that same skill.  Paul's acoustic accompaniment and George's 12-string work, in particular his solo, are excellent, and Ringo adds the perfect C&W feel with the brushed snares and maracas.

The lyrics are simple on their face, but, when combined with the propulsion of the tempo and the cascades, they perfectly capture that sense of head-over-heels infatuation.  I love the internal rhyme schemes as well, which give more texture to the verses' vocal that doesn't jump around on many notes.  For instance, on these lines, note how the three sets of rhymes often come mid-measure:  "I have never known the like of this I've been alone and I have missed things and kept out of sight but other girls were never quite like this."  

Mr. krista:  “I love that song.  First, the guitar part in the beginning is really fine playing, not pretentious.  Song is so fast, with that anticipatory feeling of falling in love that you really believe him.  Kind of repeats himself, in that feeling of lalala, you know what I’m talking about because I’m a dude whistling to get laid.  Not many love songs invoke that feeling of falling in love, that excitement and anticipation.  Kind of a master song writer thing."

Suggested cover:  Leon Russell intensified bluegrass version.  Brandi Carlile does a decent cover, but only live, with crowd noise that I find too distracting to link any of them.
Never heard it

Oddly enough, this is the one song that I actually agree more with Capitol Records - they used this to kick off the US version of Rubber Soul instead of Drive My Car, and it just always felt like a Rubber Soul type of song to me

Users who are viewing this thread