Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
krista4

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1.

16 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Moon landing? Didn't happen  Antibiotics? Are just creating a breed of super bacteria that will wipe out all human life  Printing Press? Useless now that we have the internet

• Like 3
  • Laughing 2

Commenting on a few of the latest:  

- my memories of the Beatles when I was a kid were mainly thinking "Hey Jude" was awesome when it came on the radio, because it was so much longer than all the other songs and it was a great sing-along to belt out at the top of your lungs and annoy your parents and thinking the cover of the Rubber Soul and Revolver albums were the weirdest things ever.  I distinctly remember my mom owning Rubber Soul, Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's.  When I could be bothered to turn off my Thomas Dolby, Kajagoogoo and Oxo 45s, we would throw those albums onto the giant cabinet record-player stereo we had in our family room.  We tended to favor Rubber Soul, and the two songs I remember listening to the most, and thusly I grew up associating them as a pair with each other, were "Michelle" (what up, #111!) and "Norwegian Wood".  Those must have been our favorites, because I don't distinctly remember listening to any other songs on the album, although I'm sure we did.  We would cue those two up over and over, and then after awhile, switch over to Barry Manilow's "Copacabana" or "Hooked on Classics."  "Norwegian Wood" didn't rank in my top 25, but it probably would if I did it today.

- our favorite on Pepper was undoubtedly "A Day in the Life".  The more we listened to it and once I started taking piano lessons, the more I was in awe of the final chord.  I remember my brother and I would take out our Casio watches and start timing the instant they hit that final chord.  We would slowly turn the sound up on the stereo incrementally as the chord continued so we could still make it out, so we could time how long you could actually keep hearing it.  We would then inevitably argue over how long it actually could be heard once we got the stereo up to full volume, futilely trying to make out the last vestiges of that wondrous sound.  As others have noted, that transition from Paul saying "went into a dream" and then John dreamily firing up the "AAAHH, AAHH, AAHH, AAHHs" is one of the top 13 things the Beatles ever did in any of their songs.  

- we rarely put "Revolver" on, which I feel was a missed opportunity.  I can only assume my mom kept that one out of our hands because she was afraid we would try and color in the cover with crayons or something.  

- my later years as my tastes diversified, I really only had and listened to the Blue and Red compilations, and spent my time trying to figure out why "Old Brown Shoe" was on the blue.  

Edited by Shaft41
  • Like 9

11 hours ago, krista4 said:

Aw, that is so kind of you guys.  Let's send it to the Boys & Girls Club, either the national org or one near you.  My dad was pretty much solely responsible for getting one built in the town where I grew up, doing all the organization and fundraising, and as a result the club was named after him.  I served on the board of the Memphis chapter for a bit while I lived there, too.  Great organization that, in addition to all the good works they do, fundraises and spends wisely.

$100 has been donated to the Human Fu........i mean, the Greater Memphis chapter of the Boys & Girls Club. I should know better than to play with my Revolver when i don't have to....

• Like 4
  • Love 2

On 2/19/2019 at 9:38 PM, krista4 said:

32.  Taxman (Revolver, 1966)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

Suggested cover:  Junior Parker

I like the Junior Parker version but SRV did what I think is the best cover of this song using the guitar in a way only he could.  

ETA - I forgot the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNDYArDUgSg

Edited by Redwes25
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Shaft41 said:

The more we listened to it and once I started taking piano lessons, the more I was in awe of the final chord.  I remember my brother and I would take out our Casio watches and start timing the instant they hit that final chord.  We would slowly turn the sound up on the stereo incrementally as the chord continued so we could still make it out, so we could time how long you could actually keep hearing it.  We would then inevitably then argue over how long it actually could be heard once we got the stereo up to full volume, futilely trying to make out the last vestiges of that wondrous sound. 

This probably sounds weird, but it is one of those random things I associate a song with, and I always think of it whenever the climax builds up to the final chord. One time in college, a bunch of us were hanging out late at night, and A Day In A Life was on. The climax with the orchestra had started, and I looked over to the hallway, and one of my friends was standing there in the entrance. All you could see was the silhouette of his body. He is really tall. His legs were standing perfectly straight, and I could see his body slowly swaying back and forth to the climax playing, and when the final chord was hit, he slumped over with his long hair hanging, and his arms dangling. He stood that way for about 7 seconds or so, and then he raised back up. I remember weird stuff. Does that mean I'm weird? :oldunsure:

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Replying to say thanks for all this.  I've been following closely and have learned a bunch about what I like and what I don't.  

• Like 3

One last word about A Day in the Life.

Ever since hearing @Shaft41's daughter's remarkable cover of Let It Be and commenting that an old musician friend said the key to a good cover was finding the hinges in a song, i've been thinking about that word. That's what makes A Day in the Life so momentous - it's the hinge upon which the world of modern music turns.

Up to that point it was all about influences. Blues, Woody Guthrie, Satchmo, Elvis, skiffle, Berry, R&B, Li'l Richard, Dylan, folk, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly, whatever. The village that the Lonely Hearts Club Band played to & about was all we lonely people and where music do come from. Day in the Life capped it by being first aspirational, then conversational, then invitational. "We can be this common and we can be this grand and it will all add up to something mad & wonderful, you'll see. Pick up your voice and join in!" And that note, that daring and daring note, said "next?" and music was ours. After all the influences, what we were finally making was us, ours. I can make anything sound like The Wizard of Oz - that's pretty much all i can do. But i think that's it. Dunnnnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 8
  • Love 2

16 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

One last word about A Day in the Life.

Ever since hearing @Shaft41's daughter's remarkable cover of Let It Be and commenting that an old musician friend said the key to a good cover was finding the hinges in a song, i've been thinking about that word. That's what makes A Day in the Life so momentous - it's the hinge upon which the world of modern music turns.

Up to that point it was all about influences. Blues, Woody Guthrie, Satchmo, Elvis, skiffle, Berry, R&B, Li'l Richard, Dylan, folk, Bo Diddley, Buddy Holly, whatever. The village that the Lonely Hearts Club played to & about was all we lonely people and where music do come from. Day in the Life capped it by being first aspirational, then conversational, then invitational. "We can be this common and we can be this grand and it will all add up to something mad & wonderful, you'll see. Pick up your voice and join in!" And that note, that daring and daring note, said "next?" and music was ours. After all the influences, what we were finally making was us, ours. I can make anything sound like The Wizard of Oz - that's pretty much all i can do. But i think that's it. Dunnnnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Holy cow, this is beautiful.  I love that this thread, along with the appreciation for the music itself, is also giving me a new paradigm into which to think about music, and not just the Beatles.  When I told my wife and daughter what you said about her finding the hinges in "Let It Be", we had a great discussion of what that exactly meant, and your comments put the biggest smile on her face.  I've been meaning to tell you that.  I thank all of you for encouraging her in a time where that doesn't always happen.  

• Like 8
  • Love 2

There’s a chance I won’t have time to post any songs today, though I’ll try to get one in late in the afternoon.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

Dunnnnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh(squeak squeak)hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll take "Sounds That Can Never Be Unheard for $2,000, Alex."

Edited by munga30
  • Like 2

While we are talking about that last note of A Day in the Life, I think it's appropriate for me to mention these guys for the first time in the thread.

The Rutles

• Like 4

1 hour ago, worrierking said:

While we are talking about that last note of A Day in the Life, I think it's appropriate for me to mention these guys for the first time in the thread.

The Rutles

love them, and they have been mentioned.  

• Like 1

Just got home from hospital visit for the "-scopies". 🤕🏥

Hiatial hernia seems to be my issue regarding my stomach. Good news I think. 👍Coulda been worse. 

Bad news - nothing is ever simple. All the laxatives they gave me to take at home before the procedure did not even come close to flushing me out. 

Well, I did throw up a lot. 😖

At the hospital they fed me mega lax's - oh boy! Both ends were expelling. 😂

And of course, that meant more time in hospital. 

Worst part tho - I still haven't finished my "I'm So Tired" comments and I have missed quite a few posts here. 

Gonna catch up, now that I am home. 

Finally, krista4, I know you are a poop expert... I really could have used some guidance here! 🤔

If I need a follow up, I'll be sure to pm you for advice! 👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Hiatial hernia seems to be my issue regarding my stomach. Good news I think. 👍Coulda been worse. 

I have a hiatal hernia. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but when it has been aggravated it makes me feel nauseous. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Finally, krista4, I know you are a poop expert... I really could have used some guidance here! 🤔

If I need a follow up, I'll be sure to pm you for advice! 👌

@Krista's Poop Joke

• Laughing 2

22 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

. 🤕🏥

👍

😖 

Finally, krista4, I know you you are a poop expert 🤔

Both a Beatles expert AND a poop expert. Talk about multitasking.

• Laughing 1

I took the scope today, oh boy.

Digestive system just don't make the grade

But I just can't rela-ax

Took too much megala-ax

I blew a hole out in my tubes

I didn't noticed that my pipes had changed

A crowd of doctors stood & stared

Wanted to prod & poke

Until i pooped enough to fill a dozen Krista jooookes

I love to tu-u-u-rn you-ou-ou-ou o-o-o-on

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Laughing 2

4 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

I took the scope today, oh boy.

Digestive system just don't make the grade

But I just can't rela-ax

Took too much megala-ax

I blew a hole out in my tubes

I didn't noticed that my pipes had changed

A crowd of doctors stood & stared

Wanted to prod & poke

Until i pooped enough to fill a dozen Krista jooookes

I love to tu-u-u-rn you-ou-ou-ou o-o-o-on

This has totally made my day! 😂

Butt, when you think about it... 

....other than here... 

...(wait for it)...

This has been a pretty poopy day for me. 😬

😘

• Like 1

Tell me - is following experience an echo of anastesia, a manic's delusional "idea of reference", a cosmic synchronicity or just dumb random noise? 

As soon as a finished posting and reading here, I turned on the news. 

The man began, "... a massive dump, they saw it coming. It's not unexpected..." - actual story, as I eventually learned, was about the wiki leaks email dump. Ha. OK. 

So, I power up my phone, come here, look at the newest 1st page:

1st thread I see... 

... CRAP Machines?! 😳

I was tempted to click on it and submit my application for the machine job. 🤔

5 hours ago, krista4 said:

There’s a chance I won’t have time to post any songs today, though I’ll try to get one in late in the afternoon.

Well, that didn’t happen.  Maybe a drunken write-up after dinner, with lots of italicized lyrics.

48 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Well, that didn’t happen.  Maybe a drunken write-up after dinner, with lots of italicized lyrics.

I’d leave these guys hanging a few more days.

• Thinking 1

4 hours ago, simey said:
4 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I have a hiatal hernia. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but when it has been aggravated it makes me feel nauseous. 

Me three!  Doc said it wasn't worth cutting me open over.  Not sure how I got it, but every once in a while I get a case of atomic hiccups, Ricther scale 10-ish.  Pretty sure that was it.

10 hours ago, simey said:

This probably sounds weird,...

... Does that mean I'm weird? :oldunsure:

Nah! Not at all. 

10 hours ago, simey said:

... I remember weird stuff.... 

Wait... 

...do you mean - like The Sixth Sense? 

;-)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Me three!  Doc said it wasn't worth cutting me open over.  Not sure how I got it, but every once in a while I get a case of atomic hiccups, Ricther scale 10-ish.  Pretty sure that was it.

24 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:

Odd. 

I can think of lots of good reasons to cut ya open. 🤔

2 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I’d leave these guys hanging a few more days.

I would hold back until the thread hits 100 pages.

• Thinking 1

40 minutes ago, Mister CIA said:
5 hours ago, simey said:
5 hours ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Everybody's got a hiatal hernia except me and my monkey. :sadbanana:

• Like 5
  • Laughing 2
  • Sad 1

I heard this Bob Seger song today.  Is this an homage to Dear Prudence or just a total ripoff?

• Thinking 1

10 minutes ago, shuke said:

I heard this Bob Seger song today.  Is this an homage to Dear Prudence or just a total ripoff?

We're gonna get this thread to 100 pages yet!

1 hour ago, DaVinci said:

Everybody's got a hiatal hernia except me and my monkey. :sadbanana:

:lmao:  I'm not kidding that I was reading through the thread and thought I'd update the thread title to exactly this.  My thread titles have been waning since all my interns quit.  Now I can't use this one either.  :lmao: 

• Like 1

Just got home from dinner.  Definitely no write-ups tonight.  Tomorrow morning's a mess at work, too, so late afternoon is the best I can do.  I am hoping to post #4 and #3 tomorrow so we can have the Big Reveal on Friday, as it should be.  

@Rustoleum, I thought about your fun idea for a while but I don't think I can make it work.  My write-ups for #2 and #1 will make it clear which is which, and I don't want to modify what I'm writing to try to "mask" stuff.  Love the thought, though.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I am hoping to post #4 and #3 tomorrow so we can have the Big Reveal on Friday, as it should be.  

Thirty years ago a Friday was a chance to score shrooms and woo a lady. Now I have this. 

Don’t f it up krista  

Edited by Nick Vermeil
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

1 minute ago, Yankee23Fan said:

So, without driving myself crazy what are the 4 songs left?

Across the Universe

Abbey Road medley

I’ve Just Seen a Face

In My Life

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Across the Universe - 2nd

Abbey Road medley -1st (didn’t listen to the whole thing before I got distracted but seemed pretty good)

I’ve Just Seen a Face - 4th (actually had never heard it)

In My Life - 3rd

I’ll take a shot now that it’s down to a commitment level I can handle. 

• Like 1

Almost dropping off the first page!  Quick, somebody do something!

4th - Just Seen a Face

3rd - Across the Universe

2nd - Abbey Road Medley

1st - In My Life (feel like I gotta stick with it ...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

4th - I've Just Seen A Face

3rd - In My Life 

2nd - Abbey Road Medley 

1st - Across The Universe 

I might switch 1 and 2 but otherwise yes.

• Like 1

4th - Across the Universe

3rd - Abbey Road

2nd - I've Just Seen A Face

1st - In My Life

Of course, I'm probably projecting...

• Like 1

4.  I've Just Seen A Face (Help!, 1965)

At the other end of the spectrum from "For No One," this time Paul describes the breathless feeling of the first inklings of falling in love.  It's a simple song in comparison to many of my other favorites, but it's perfect in the way it propels you through, with that fast tempo and the lyrical cascades expressing the insistent nature of these feelings.  I love the all-acoustic nature (first time recorded for a Beatles song, though later that day "Yesterday" became the second), beginning with those falling, double-tracked triplets that make me feel like I'm actually, y'know, falling.  Then the song moves into a folk, almost-Bluegrass sound, with no bass and with only Ringo joining the guitars by brushing the snare.  

The first verse is sung without Paul's having taken a breath, adding to the urgency and excitement he's expressing; he's able to repeat this on the fourth verse as well.  The choruses feature Paul harmonizing with himself, and his vocals in these sections even outdo what he accomplishes in the verses.  This song ranks high on the "can I sing along to it" scale, as I can sing both of the vocal parts (not at the same time) just as Paul did, albeit not with quite that same skill.  Paul's acoustic accompaniment and George's 12-string work, in particular his solo, are excellent, and Ringo adds the perfect C&W feel with the brushed snares and maracas.

The lyrics are simple on their face, but, when combined with the propulsion of the tempo and the cascades, they perfectly capture that sense of head-over-heels infatuation.  I love the internal rhyme schemes as well, which give more texture to the verses' vocal that doesn't jump around on many notes.  For instance, on these lines, note how the three sets of rhymes often come mid-measure:  "I have never known the like of this I've been alone and I have missed things and kept out of sight but other girls were never quite like this."  

Pure pop/C&W/folk/bluegrass perfection from Paul.

Mr. krista:  “I love that song.  First, the guitar part in the beginning is really fine playing, not pretentious.  Song is so fast, with that anticipatory feeling of falling in love that you really believe him.  Kind of repeats himself, in that feeling of lalala, you know what I’m talking about because I’m a dude whistling to get laid.  Not many love songs invoke that feeling of falling in love, that excitement and anticipation.  Kind of a master song writer thing."

Suggested cover:  Leon Russell intensified bluegrass version.  Brandi Carlile does a decent cover, but only live, with crowd noise that I find too distracting to link any of them.

• Like 12

18 hours ago, shuke said:

I set a strict two-measure limit on the amount of Bob Seger I'll listen to, but within that time it certainly did sound like a Dear Prudence ripoff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Such a great song and so fun. I remember being maybe 13 and my dad taking me to Harmony House to buy a Beatles CD. I had discovered classic rock and listened to his Sgt Peppers CD 100x over. Then I got the red and blue greatest hits albums but this was my first time picking out an album of my own. I don’t know why I chose Help. It just called to me. Of course I loved Help and Ticket to Ride but the song that blew me away from the first listen was I’ve Just Seen a Face. Being a kid who was experiencing that kind of excitement and attraction and wonder that’s only possible in those early teen years, this song encapsulated how I felt better than anything I had ever heard. It’s actually only in the last few years that I’ve realized the song isn’t my hidden gem but a song so many other feel the same way about. It spoke to 13 year olds across 40 years and 3 generations. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Fatguy has seen a face

my second and last performance

Excellent! I like it even better than “Blackbird”!

Were you filmed in a dollhouse?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Such a great song and so fun. I remember being maybe 13 and my dad taking me to Harmony House to buy a Beatles CD. I had discovered classic rock and listened to his Sgt Peppers CD 100x over. Then I got the red and blue greatest hits albums but this was my first time picking out an album of my own. I don’t know why I chose Help. It just called to me. Of course I loved Help and Ticket to Ride but the song that blew me away from the first listen was I’ve Just Seen a Face. Being a kid who was experiencing that kind of excitement and attraction and wonder that’s only possible in those early teen years, this song encapsulated how I felt better than anything I had ever heard. It’s actually only in the last few years that I’ve realized the song isn’t my hidden gem but a song so many other feel the same way about. It spoke to 13 year olds across 40 years and 3 generations. 

Love this.  These personal stories make me so happy!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, krista4 said:

4.  I've Just Seen A Face (Help!, 1965)

At the other end of the spectrum from "For No One," this time Paul describes the breathless feeling of the first inklings of falling in love.  It's a simple song in comparison to many of my other favorites, but it's perfect in the way it propels you through, with that fast tempo and the lyrical cascades expressing the insistent nature of these feelings.  I love the all-acoustic nature (first time recorded for a Beatles song, though later that day "Yesterday" became the second), beginning with those falling, double-tracked triplets that make me feel like I'm actually, y'know, falling.  Then the song moves into a folk, almost-Bluegrass sound, with no bass and with only Ringo joining the guitars by brushing the snare.  

The first verse is sung without Paul's having taken a breath, adding to the urgency and excitement he's expressing; he's able to repeat this on the fourth verse as well.  The choruses feature Paul harmonizing with himself, and his vocals in these sections even outdo what he accomplishes in the verses.  This song ranks high on the "can I sing along to it" scale, as I can sing both of the vocal parts (not at the same time) just as Paul did, albeit not with quite that same skill.  Paul's acoustic accompaniment and George's 12-string work, in particular his solo, are excellent, and Ringo adds the perfect C&W feel with the brushed snares and maracas.

The lyrics are simple on their face, but, when combined with the propulsion of the tempo and the cascades, they perfectly capture that sense of head-over-heels infatuation.  I love the internal rhyme schemes as well, which give more texture to the verses' vocal that doesn't jump around on many notes.  For instance, on these lines, note how the three sets of rhymes often come mid-measure:  "I have never known the like of this I've been alone and I have missed things and kept out of sight but other girls were never quite like this."  

Pure pop/C&W/folk/bluegrass perfection from Paul.

Mr. krista:  “I love that song.  First, the guitar part in the beginning is really fine playing, not pretentious.  Song is so fast, with that anticipatory feeling of falling in love that you really believe him.  Kind of repeats himself, in that feeling of lalala, you know what I’m talking about because I’m a dude whistling to get laid.  Not many love songs invoke that feeling of falling in love, that excitement and anticipation.  Kind of a master song writer thing."

Suggested cover:  Leon Russell intensified bluegrass version.  Brandi Carlile does a decent cover, but only live, with crowd noise that I find too distracting to link any of them.

Never heard it