What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

who here has had a startling 23andme discovery? (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
haven't taken one of these tests. my mom did. she found out that her red-haired, giant headed, big-eared dad was Irish.. when she thought he was Swedish. his name was pretty, pretty Irish. she thought that because her dad's mom's name was Swedish, it meant he was Swedish. only she hadn't realized that he was "adopted" by a Swedish family and they never changed his birth name.

her mom's 100000% Irish, too. so while my mom grew up thinking she was half-Swedish/half-Irish she found out she is 1000% Irish through and through. weird because she has red hair and an Irish last name.

only thought of this because some dude on reddit allegedly found out he's been having at it with his half-sister for over a year enjoy

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought the Ancestry test for Christmas.. Looking forward to the results in 6 to 8 weeks..

Been told all my life I am German/Norwegian with about a Pinky Toe of Irish. :popcorn:    

“Oh, I did one of those genetic tests. I was surprised to find out I’m all Asian. You do learn things from those genetic tests. Like I discovered I wasted 100 bucks. [laughter] They send you information. Mine just said, “Dude, you’re white.” In fact, you’re very white. “I hope you feel guilty.” They didn’t even break down my nationality. They just highlighted all the British Isles. They’re like, “You’re trash from here. Wherever people need sunscreen.” But what do we expect to learn from these genetic tests? Like, “Oh, my gosh! I’m related to my ancestors!” We’re only gonna find out bad news. You see it in the commercials. I thought I was Italian, but it ends up, my great-grandma was a whore. [laughter] So I guess I’m Eastern European. Sometimes people think I’m saying. Eastern Europeans are whores and… I am. No. My point is, only good family news is passed along. Like, if your great-grandfather was Abraham Lincoln, you’d already know that, but if your great-grandfather was the town drunk, your grandpa’s likely to go, “Uh, I don’t remember.” I think he worked in a bar. “Chief gutter inspector.” I do know I have some Irish ancestry, but, apparently, the Irish didn’t keep great records ’cause, well, draw your own conclusion. Something tells me they weren’t busy sunbathing. I’m Irish, but I have blonde hair. Supposedly, the only reason the Irish have blonde or red hair is ’cause the Vikings invaded, pillaged, and probably other stuff.
Those Vikings, the Scandinavians, I don’t know if you’ve been to Sweden, it’s like a whole country of Scarlett Johanssons. If I was in Ireland at that time, I would’ve been, “Oh, no, some Viking ladies coming to pillage me.” I guess I’ll hide on this bed covered in rose petals. Hopefully she can help me put together that table.”

I am 100% human.
People have a large amount of noncoding DNA suggestive of ancient retroviruses which have become endogenous to the human genome. Additionally, up to 2% of our body mass are gut and skin bacteria. These conditions facilitate conjugation. Afterall, the study of lateral dna transfer between human and bacteria is a researched area. It may be the earliest stages of endosymbiosis. There is some evidence that something similar is happening with one of our metazoa cousins.What I mean is, I guess we are basically human.

I used to hang out with a chick right after college. She ended up dating a guy seriously while we were still friends and had a kid with him. Turns out they were first cousins. Welcome to the Ozarks. No 23andme needed for that though. :lol:

A co-worker found out that his dad was also the father of his cousin. The dad's brother was a newlywed who had just been sent to Korea, and apparently the brother went MIA for a while and the wife thought that he might have died. So she took up comfort with my co-worker's dad. Then all of a sudden the brother is found and he gets sent home. Eight months later, my co-worker's "cousin" is born.

The craziest thing is that the cousin doesn't even know yet. The DNA database sent my co-worker an email saying "This user may be your brother", and my co-worker recognized the username. So he knows that his cousin is also his half-brother, but at this point the cousin/brother only knows that there's someone out there who is his half-brother.

A co-worker found out that his dad was also the father of his cousin. The dad's brother was a newlywed who had just been sent to Korea, and apparently the brother went MIA for a while and the wife thought that he might have died. So she took up comfort with my co-worker's dad. Then all of a sudden the brother is found and he gets sent home. Eight months later, my co-worker's "cousin" is born.

The craziest thing is that the cousin doesn't even know yet. The DNA database sent my co-worker an email saying "This user may be your brother", and my co-worker recognized the username. So he knows that his cousin is also his half-brother, but at this point the cousin/brother only knows that there's someone out there who is his half-brother.
This went over my head, break this down a bit more for someone getting properly ready for a epic disaster of a Cowboys game.

This went over my head, break this down a bit more for someone getting properly ready for a epic disaster of a Cowboys game.
Michael and Sonny were brothers. I work with Michael's son, Anthony.

In the early 50s, Sonny got married and then was shipped off to Korea. A few months later, Sonny was reported as missing in action.

Sonny's wife was very upset, and she ended up turning to Michael (who was still in high school) for comfort. Michael ended up impregnating Sonny's wife.

Shortly afterward, Sonny was found alive in Korea. He was immediately shipped back to the States to reunite with his wife.

Eight months later, Sonny's "son" (Vincent) was born.

Meanwhile, Michael married Kay and had a son named Anthony.

Anthony knew Vincent as his cousin.

Last year, Anthony took a DNA test. The test revealed that he had a half-brother. He received an email which apparently contained the username of the half-brother, but no other information. Based on the username, he is certain that the half-brother is his cousin, Vincent. (Vincent probably received a similar email, but he would be unable to deduce Anthony's identity based solely on Anthony's username.)

Michael, Sonny, and Sonny's wife are all dead, so there is no one around to confirm my co-worker's theory. But he grew up knowing that Sonny had briefly gone missing in Korea (and that Michael had "comforted" Sonny's wife), so it wasn't a stretch for him to conclude that the "comfort" went beyond a few hugs.

Buddy of mine found out he had a daughter from a dalliance after high school. Girl he was with never contacted him to tell him she was preggo. Now nearly 40 yrs later, because he did the DNA test, a woman contacts him and says I think you're my dad. I haven't had a chance to talk to him since this went down, but apparently they've met and are connecting.

My wife did the ancestry.com thing.  I was bored and the family tree thingy, traced her back to the 1400s to Italian and Spanish nobility.  If I can't cash me outside, then this info really doesn't help.

Buddy of mine found out he had a daughter from a dalliance after high school. Girl he was with never contacted him to tell him she was preggo. Now nearly 40 yrs later, because he did the DNA test, a woman contacts him and says I think you're my dad. I haven't had a chance to talk to him since this went down, but apparently they've met and are connecting.
Something similar, my father-in-law's brother found out he had a daughter a few month's ago. One night stand 20 some odd years ago, she contacted him after the DNA test told her and let him know. They have connected but still keeping it secret on her side as the man she grew up thinking was her biological dad passed away when she was young but his parents (her grandparents) are still living and she doesn't want them to know. It's actually been nice for him instead of weird drama as he and his wife got married late in life, have no kids, and are too old to think about having them now.

Poke_4_Life said:
Never done the DNA testing.  

I enjoyed this reddit story from someone that bought six kits for his entire family.  
That story seems a little sketchy. Why buy kits for his brother AND his 2 sisters, when they would all have the same DNA?

eoMMan said:
Is anyone paranoid about your DNA being out there on some database?

:tinfoilhat:

Socrates11 said:
Well, I am now

Michael and Sonny were brothers. I work with Michael's son, Anthony.

In the early 50s, Sonny got married and then was shipped off to Korea. A few months later, Sonny was reported as missing in action.

Sonny's wife was very upset, and she ended up turning to Michael (who was still in high school) for comfort. Michael ended up impregnating Sonny's wife.

Shortly afterward, Sonny was found alive in Korea. He was immediately shipped back to the States to reunite with his wife.

Eight months later, Sonny's "son" (Vincent) was born.

Meanwhile, Michael married Kay and had a son named Anthony.

Anthony knew Vincent as his cousin.

Last year, Anthony took a DNA test. The test revealed that he had a half-brother. He received an email which apparently contained the username of the half-brother, but no other information. Based on the username, he is certain that the half-brother is his cousin, Vincent. (Vincent probably received a similar email, but he would be unable to deduce Anthony's identity based solely on Anthony's username.)

Michael, Sonny, and Sonny's wife are all dead, so there is no one around to confirm my co-worker's theory. But he grew up knowing that Sonny had briefly gone missing in Korea (and that Michael had "comforted" Sonny's wife), so it wasn't a stretch for him to conclude that the "comfort" went beyond a few hugs.
So he's in denial about the possibility that his mom was whoring around with his uncle

Lady at work (Mary) had invitro fertilization since she was having a hard time getting pregnant. Mary gets pregnant but her husband (Greg) is not the biological father.  Greg's count was low or something so they did this genetic concoction of donor sperm and Greg's.  Mary said that Greg and she always thought the child was theirs due to the resemblance.  Fast forward 20 years and 23 and me or whatever it is called and now everyone is upset.  Apparently, the father is some unknown but the kid is working on trying to locate the semen donor.   

TLDR:  Do not do a DNA test if you don't know who the baby daddy is,  committed murder,  wanted for a crime. 

My dad was adopted so I know nothing about his family ancestry. He also had a baby girl before meeting my mom and having me and his ex left the country with said baby girl. My dad who passed away a few years back never knew his daughter, who is obviously my half sister. I’m an only child who would love to find my 1/2 sister. 

All of that said, I would NEVER give my dna to some company. NEVER in a million years and I’m surprised so many are willing to do so. Think about that. Some other company owns your dna and you paid them to have it. 

My dad was adopted so I know nothing about his family ancestry. He also had a baby girl before meeting my mom and having me and his ex left the country with said baby girl. My dad who passed away a few years back never knew his daughter, who is obviously my half sister. I’m an only child who would love to find my 1/2 sister. 

All of that said, I would NEVER give my dna to some company. NEVER in a million years and I’m surprised so many are willing to do so. Think about that. Some other company owns your dna and you paid them to have it. 
ever been to the doctor and had tests done? a mouth swab? 

your DNA profile is already out there and being used for lots and lots of things. you just don't think of it that way  :shrug:

ever been to the doctor and had tests done? a mouth swab? 

your DNA profile is already out there and being used for lots and lots of things. you just don't think of it that way  :shrug:
I’d like to see some evidence of that. I haven’t had a swab done in over 10 years anyways. I definitely think what you’re saying is possible but I would like to see some evidence. 

My dad always thought his great grandmother was Native American, turns out she immigrated from Italy.

Dummy.

I crossed referenced with ancestry.com to dig a little deeper and found a copy of her marriage license from 1938.  My great grandfather listed himself as Pennsylvanian Dutch.  He wasn't, he was just born in Pennsylvania.

I had someone matched up as a 1st cousin who no one in my family (immediate or extended) had ever heard of.  I reached out to him thru the site, and it turns out that he was adopted as a baby and never knew who his birth father was (he’s 71, which ruled out us being 1st cousins).

Other family members took the test and we ultimately determined through various matching levels that he was the son of my grandfather’s younger brother, who passed away in 2005.  He definitely got around back in the day so nobody in my family was particularly shocked at this news, but I can’t imagine the feeling of finding the answer to my parentage after 70 years.

I have never submitted a DNA test, but it is through DNA testing that I now know about a half-brother that I never knew of for the first 46 years of my life.  "Bob" was adopted as a child and never knew his biological mother or father.  At some point he got curious and searched as best he could.  This was long before these DNA test services were easily available.  He had a birth certificate from a hospital in Virginia, but with the names of the parents omitted.  He ran into nothing but dead ends and eventually gave up his search resigning himself to the fact that he would never know.  Fast forward several years and Bob's daughter picks up the torch partially wanting to know who her grandparents were, but was more so driven by a desire to figure it out for her father.  For the most part, she just kept running into dead ends.  At some point in her search she was contacted by a woman who was also looking for her birth parents.  This person was supposedly a twin who was adopted from the same orphanage about the same time as Bob.  Bob's daughter talked him into submitting a DNA sample to see if he matched this person.  He figured what the hell, nothing to lose.  I do not recall at the moment which service they used, but is was not 23andMe.  When the results were returned they discovered he had no connection whatsoever to that woman, but it happened to hit on someone else at the level of 1st cousin.  It turns out that my cousin and her husband had submitted their DNA just for the fun of it to explore their heritage a little more.  As luck would have it, they used the same service and landed in the same data bank.  Bob's daughter eventually contacted my cousin and started to put the puzzle pieces together.  My sister submitted a DNA sample just for confirmation although that really wasn't necessary.  The first picture I ever saw of Bob I said, "HOLY ####, that's dad!!!"  Sure enough my sister's sample came back as a match at the sibling level.  

My father was in the army stationed in the Virginia Beach area at the time of Bob's birth.  My father did not meet my eventual mother until after his time in the military.  Turns out pop's must have had a little fun with one of the locals.  It was very difficult to get any information out of my father.   This was something he did not want to acknowledge and refused to talk about.   Chiseling away at him we were able to pick up on a few more clues and pieces of info, but this was also around the time my father's Alzheimers started to rear its ugly head.  Apparently there was a paternity court case over the matter at the time with a decision that relieved my dad of any responsibility for the child.  They "proved" the baby could not be his based upon military records of when he was and wasn't in town.  The court records were then sealed.  So, essentially, the military (or his military buddies) covered for his ###.  I do not know if my dad truly believed he wasn't the father or if he just bailed on the situation.  Given other clues and a letter my uncle received from my dad while in the service, I suspect the latter which leaves an awful sour taste in my mouth, but I won't get into that here.  

Anyway, Bob managed to find his birth father thanks to the efforts of his daughter and DNA testing at the age of 57.  Along with dad, he found 5 half siblings he had no idea existed.   Now I have a brother (grew up with 4 sisters)...and two more nieces.  We found each other in time to catch one of the niece's weddings which was cool.  And I got to celebrate my brothers 60th birthday with him.  Through a little more detective work from me and Bob's daughter, we were eventually able to identify his biological mother as well.  Unfortunately, she had already passed, but my niece was able to make contact with and meet the woman's sister.  According to the sister, Bob's mom was a bit of a nut job.  Maybe that was my dad's motivation to run from the situation   :shrug:

My mom found like 5 first cousins there that she did not know she had. My great aunt apparently kept pumping out illegitimate children and putting them up for adoption. Apparently one of her older cousins vaguely remembered playing with them as a kid or something before they disappeared.

Also, my parents are my parents. How boring.

Users who are viewing this thread