What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (1 Viewer)

My doctor told me that, for FF purposes, you should expect groin strains (and turf toe) to take longer than expected.
ETA-, don't know if it matters, but I just saw that Tim McManus reported Jackson has more of an abdominal than groin strain and has been bothered by it for awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad he didn't try to gut it out Sunday night at least and turn a 2-3 week injury into 2-3 months.

I'm trying to move on from Carson in league where I have lamar jackson.  Tough sledding ahead

Cant see it happening for 2 firsts plus the contract he's going to need to get. I honestly think the contract is probably a bigger hurdle for us than the draft picks will be. I'd bet the jags would take a 1 and 2 or a 1 and 3 for Ramsey because I can't see anyone giving them 2 firsts. Nothing wrong with asking for the moon after what Miami got for tunsil though. 
I don't think the contract should be an issue. You've got Agholor, Jason Peters, Sproles, Darby all coming free in 2020. There's plenty of cap.

I'm trying to move on from Carson in league where I have lamar jackson.  Tough sledding ahead
Honestly I'd trade Lamar Jackson while he's real high. Are you in a keeper/dynasty league or redraft in this one? I just don't see Baltimore's offense having success with Lamar for consitiently long. They've played the Fins and the Cardinals.

Doug cancelled practice today... very strange. 

Still waiting on an Alshon update.
Would be nice to know. I got JJAW in my Keeper league on the bench but I have Big Ben I'm dropping for another QB with Wentz starting. There's a few WR's on the waiver wire if I don't get one or two the drop off on 3 isn't much and all three are better options currently for my team for the now then JJAW. So I'd like to know ALshon's status to see if it's worth dropping JJAW still or not 

Two 1sts for a lock down corner that would make the rest of our secondary that much better?  I’d do it.  
For some perspective of how expensive of a price that is, a quick check of the draft value chart, assuming they are both picks #26, means we give up 1,400 in draft capital. In the trade for the Wentz pick, we only gave up about 500 (a bit more if you factor in the move from 13 to 8 with Miami, but even less if you lump in the Bradford trade.) So we would be paying almost 2-3x what we paid to get Wentz, plus the pleasure of paying him $15-$20 million/year. 

For some perspective of how expensive of a price that is, a quick check of the draft value chart, assuming they are both picks #26, means we give up 1,400 in draft capital. In the trade for the Wentz pick, we only gave up about 500 (a bit more if you factor in the move from 13 to 8 with Miami, but even less if you lump in the Bradford trade.) So we would be paying almost 2-3x what we paid to get Wentz, plus the pleasure of paying him $15-$20 million/year. 
It won't be 2 firsts in the end. In a vacuum, it would still be worth it if you can lock up the best CB in the game for his career. The price will ultimately be cheaper, like a first and a 3rd or 4th. 

I understand that, but bringing in one of-if not the best cover corners in the league for the next 5 years years (to overlap the best years of your franchise QB) is worth it IMO.

It won't be 2 firsts in the end. In a vacuum, it would still be worth it if you can lock up the best CB in the game for his career. The price will ultimately be cheaper, like a first and a 3rd or 4th. 
If its a 1 and a 4 Howie would have already made the deal I'd think.  I agree with btw, I don't think it'll take 2 firsts.  Just saying that I think it would still be worth it.

Tough comparison since at the time Wentz was an unknown quantity.  Ramsey is arguably the best corner in the league.  

Can we put to rest the Wentz is mor injury prone than other QBs argument? Brees down, Cam out, Ben out. Wentz gets injured about as much as anyone else. QBs get hurt. It's what happens. You just pray that your guy doesn't. 

Can we put to rest the Wentz is mor injury prone than other QBs argument? Brees down, Cam out, Ben out. Wentz gets injured about as much as anyone else. QBs get hurt. It's what happens. You just pray that your guy doesn't. 
Cam ok, but you know that Brees and Ben have long track records of being able to avoid injuries.  I know Ben gets banged up a lot, but he can play through it and has gotten smarter with his body.

That doesn't really have to do with Wentz being injury prone, just not sure those are the best comparisons.

Wentz' style of play makes him more susceptible to injury than a lot of quarterbacks.  His ACL was torn on a run and dive into the end zone. He did the exact same thing last week.  He's never going to be a Brady or Brees type, so I'm sure he will be hurt more than those guys.  He plays more like Cam Newton, and we see how often he's hurt. And how ineffective he becomes when the coaches try to turn him into a pocket passer.  His body isn't fragile like Romo's was.  Where a sack means a broken bone. But he puts himself out there everytime he puts on the pads. The eagles better always keep a quality backup around. 

Wentz' style of play makes him more susceptible to injury than a lot of quarterbacks.  His ACL was torn on a run and dive into the end zone. He did the exact same thing last week.  He's never going to be a Brady or Brees type, so I'm sure he will be hurt more than those guys.  He plays more like Cam Newton, and we see how often he's hurt. And how ineffective he becomes when the coaches try to turn him into a pocket passer.  His body isn't fragile like Romo's was.  Where a sack means a broken bone. But he puts himself out there everytime he puts on the pads. The eagles better always keep a quality backup around. 
Wentz plays more like Rodgers in terms of escaping the pocket and acts like a bit smaller version of Big Ben. Cam is just dumb how he plays and is always crying about how there was no call on a guy who's hit him. He's never been smart with how he plays. 

Peter King not sure if he knows something or speculation but he said Eagles could get Ramsey by sending a 1st/3rd/SIdney Jones. Depending what year the 3rd is I'd do that deal in a heart beat. You don't get many chances in this league to potentially have one of the top 3 best young QBs entering his Prime and teaming that up with the best Lockdown CB in his prime. 

Peter King not sure if he knows something or speculation but he said Eagles could get Ramsey by sending a 1st/3rd/SIdney Jones. Depending what year the 3rd is I'd do that deal in a heart beat. You don't get many chances in this league to potentially have one of the top 3 best young QBs entering his Prime and teaming that up with the best Lockdown CB in his prime. 
This is my thinking as well

I would make that deal in a heartbeat if I'm the Eagles.  The Jags are also getting a pretty good deal there.  

DJackson10 said:
I'm so done with Sidney Jones that if he's in a Deal For Ramsey and it's so we don't give up another pick I'm jumping on that deal asap. I was never high on the guy either though. Could've had JuJu or Kamara instead. 
not sure why you still hate on him. was pretty impressive last game. had some great hits and didn't see him get burned at all

not sure why you still hate on him. was pretty impressive last game. had some great hits and didn't see him get burned at all
I just don't trust the dude in the long run. I've never really got the hype on him. He was barely challenged in college and had also been living off the Marcus Peters hype being from the same college. He hasn't made many impact plays like Rasul has. Rasul might get burned at times but has come up with big plays in limited times. The Eagles are in win now mode. Not lets wait and see if this guy gets back to what people thought he was before the injury business. Plus if I'm getting the best CB in the league for him I'm doing that trade. 

because once djax has an opinion on one guy, he will stick with it no matter what.  Sid Jones could win DPOY and he would say he sucks. 

DJackson10 said:
I'm so done with Sidney Jones that if he's in a Deal For Ramsey and it's so we don't give up another pick I'm jumping on that deal asap. I was never high on the guy either though. Could've had JuJu or Kamara instead. 
I want to vomit every time I think about that. Since Graham got that sack to help ease the pain of passing on Thomas, this is now “the one that got away from us story.”

Jones may or may not wind up being decent but man...to have either of those other two. Especially Kamara.

I want to vomit every time I think about that. Since Graham got that sack to help ease the pain of passing on Thomas, this is now “the one that got away from us story.”

Jones may or may not wind up being decent but man...to have either of those other two. Especially Kamara.
Yea but CB was a big need at the time and he was pretty highly touted. I don't fault them for that. Taking BG over Earl Thomas still doesn't make much sense because they moved on from Dawkins and had no replacement. It was criminal for those 5 years with Macho Harris and all the other drek they out out there when it could have been Earl Thomas. 

But yes BG got that fumble. So all is forgiven.

We are so lucky Chip wasn't able to work a deal for Mariota......that guy sucks!
 I was thinking the exact same thing last night watching the game. Dude is awful. Not to mention that if they somehow would have gotten Marcus, it would’ve been a stay of execution for Chip. Talk about a lose lose. 

Yea but CB was a big need at the time and he was pretty highly touted. I don't fault them for that. Taking BG over Earl Thomas still doesn't make much sense because they moved on from Dawkins and had no replacement. It was criminal for those 5 years with Macho Harris and all the other drek they out out there when it could have been Earl Thomas. 

Macho Harris. Good Lord I all but forgot about him....

We are so lucky Chip wasn't able to work a deal for Mariota......that guy sucks!
For fun I went through more recent drafts to see if there was a worse pairing of top 5 QB picks than Mariota and Winston.

2012 1. Andrew Luck and 2. Robert Griffin. Only listing due to longevity and injuries for Luck. Obviously, talent wise not in the conversation.

2002 1. David Carr and 3. Joey Harrington. Probably these guys.

1999 1. Tim Couch and 2. Akili Smith. McNabb at 2 kind of ruins it, otherwise oof.

For fun I went through more recent drafts to see if there was a worse pairing of top 5 QB picks than Mariota and Winston.

2012 1. Andrew Luck and 2. Robert Griffin. Only listing due to longevity and injuries for Luck. Obviously, talent wise not in the conversation.

2002 1. David Carr and 3. Joey Harrington. Probably these guys.

1999 1. Tim Couch and 2. Akili Smith. McNabb at 2 kind of ruins it, otherwise oof.
First round QBs are such a crapshoot. It's crazy how few of them turn out to be franchise guys.   The best QB draft of the last 20 years is 2004. Rivers, Eli, and Roethlisberger  all turned out to be franchise guys and possible Hall of Famers.  Since then, the only drafts that have seen two franchise QBs drafted were 2016 (Goff, Wentz) and 2017 (Watson, Mahomes)   2008 had Rodgers and Alex Smith. Smith was decent for a long time, but never great.  But I think you're right about Winston and Mariota.  Both are only still starting because of how high they were drafted.

First round QBs are such a crapshoot. It's crazy how few of them turn out to be franchise guys.   The best QB draft of the last 20 years is 2004. Rivers, Eli, and Roethlisberger  all turned out to be franchise guys and possible Hall of Famers.  Since then, the only drafts that have seen two franchise QBs drafted were 2016 (Goff, Wentz) and 2017 (Watson, Mahomes)   2008 had Rodgers and Alex Smith. Smith was decent for a long time, but never great.  But I think you're right about Winston and Mariota.  Both are only still starting because of how high they were drafted.
Agreed, but that's why I narrowed it to the top 5 picks. Usually one of them will pan out. Pretty rare that 1-2 are both busts.

because once djax has an opinion on one guy, he will stick with it no matter what.  Sid Jones could win DPOY and he would say he sucks. 
I just never bought the hype with the guy. He wasn't challenged often at Washington and then started living off the Marcus Peters Rep that Peters was getting at the time. I also thought a 2nd on the guy was kind of a waste. I had been pretty clear I was ok drafting the guy if he was still there in the 4th or so. I honestly think they wanted Cook and when Minny Jumped them they panicked. They missed on getting JuJU and Kamara instead. 

I've been going by the statement these days don't always draft for need because you end up reaching or taking a guy just to take a guy because he's a need. I was more then fine skipping over him the first 3 rounds and if there in the 4th or 5th I'd take him. A 2nd rounder is very important and should be playing important minutes and with the injury he had it's just a too big of a risk. Even 1 sec slower could be the different from JAG and All pro. I also really loved both Kamara and Cook coming out of college. I'm never a huge FSU guy being a Florida fan but I just couldn't deny the potential and how good Cook was. The dude shredded my teams defense that was talked up as a top 5 run D his senior year. Kamara had big play potential but a lot of people thought he was just a 3rd down or change of pace guy. I wasn't huge on JuJu as getting Agholar and seeing other USC Skilled guys I was hesitant on him but I said if he was there and other guys they wanted weren't I'm fine taking him. 

I saw Jones in college and just didn't see what the big deal with him was. Thought he was living off Marcus Peter's reputation at the time as well. Right now if I can get the best Corner in the game for the Price King tweeted and throwing in Jones is the difference from giving up a higher pick or not I'm giving up Jones. I'm not waiting around for a guy who maybe won't get hurt and be an all pro when I can get a legit and top Corner in the game right now. 

Yep every time I see him play he looks worse and worse. I feel bad for the guy because he really is one of the good guys out there. Hard to also say how much is his fault other then not staying healthy given he's had a new OC almost every Season in the league. Thats tough on a young QB

Agreed, but that's why I narrowed it to the top 5 picks. Usually one of them will pan out. Pretty rare that 1-2 are both busts.
Yeah, if limiting to only number 1 picks, there have been 24 since 1965 (I don't really know how to comment on anyone before that).  I would say that only 3 have been outright busts: JaMarcus Russell, David Carr and Tim Couch.  Everyone else has been at least average, although Jeff George is a pretty tough one to put into any specific category.

The problem with QBs taken early is pretty big issue. Every team needs a good to great QB if they want to be in it for the long run. Besides your LT (or right for those Lefty Signal callers) QB is your most important offensive position considering its a passing league. Issue most years the top QB isn't even worth a top 10 selection let alone a 1st or even 2nd round pick. Teams reach early and often and after so many misses you'd think teams would smarten up. Lets take for example the Wentz/Goff Draft. After those two the talent level and potential in that QB class dropped significantly. You had two guys many touted as franchise signal callers for yrs to come. A+ Blue Chippers. After them it was a lot of so so B- and C+ QB's. Thats a huge drop off in potential wise in a scouting stand point on potential. 

The issue overall isn't an NFL issue per say as it goes all the way back to Middle and HS for some of these guys. Teams usually put their best player in at the QB position. Most O Lines aren't great so the most athletic guy goes in. Coaches don't teach proper mechanics nor the basics of reading defenses. In college these days coaches aren't in the mood of waiting for a guy and developing more. They are in win now modes. One of the reasons I'm not high on Jackson Bal is why I was never high on Colin Kapernick and Others. Very athletic dudes but were never taught proper mechanics or read a defense. Never taught proper motions in the pocket. It was always using their athleticism, speed and big arms. Eventually the NFL catches up to them. These guys are in their prime when they enter the league never have long careers. Teams who could use these guys are teams with great offensive or good offensive Lines and top Defenses who need that one player at QB. Insert them and see how far they can go. Problem with this is that it's a short term fix. Its also why you saw SF have a ton of success with CK then. Once SF was losing talent and CK had to become more of a passer and do more he got greatly exposed. 

To put all of this in Eagles terms at the Time we had Randall Cunningham he was perfectly situated with us. We had the great defense, a decent Line and some running game with a QB athletic wise no one ever saw before. There will never be another talent like him. Teams have been searching for their Cunningham since then from Vick to CK etc. 

The last issue is college offenses greatly differ from NFL ones. However more NFL teams are using spread offenses. Andy Reid and Bill Bellichik were the first to start doing spread concepts especially Andy considering Vick didn't know how to translate the West Coast offense so Vick never managed or played in a traditional West Coast offense. With teams going with hybrids like Andy and Doug of Hybrid West Coast systems and other teams using concepts of the ilk its an easier transition of playbooks these days. However theres still a lot of issues from college to Pros with QBs. Guys like Vick might be fun to watch for their speed and highlight reel plays but people and fans need to realize these guys don't usually have long careers. After their rookie deal that next contract is usually their last in terms of trying to make big money. Teams need to think if they want to spend that much on that type of QB though. Most end up becoming decent back ups for the rest of their careers or flaming out within a few yrs.  

Yeah, if limiting to only number 1 picks, there have been 24 since 1965 (I don't really know how to comment on anyone before that).  I would say that only 3 have been outright busts: JaMarcus Russell, David Carr and Tim Couch.  Everyone else has been at least average, although Jeff George is a pretty tough one to put into any specific category.
I honestly don't know who to blame for David Carr. Was he really that bad or did Houston just #### him over big time with the lack of help that it totally screwed with him mentally for the rest of his career? He had zero protection from the line. It was open season on Carr if your defense was playing HOU that week. 

during that time period there have been 52 QBs drafted in the top 5.  I would say that 15 of them been busts.  Art Schlichter is also hard to categorize.

Colts have had 6 top 5 QBs.  2 HOF (well 1 never played for them), 2 great, and 2 perplexing.  Pretty interesting.

Bengals have second most with 4, and 3 were super busts.

I wouldn't be surprised if Winston doesn't last as long as Mariota. Mariota will have the whole "he's had an different OC and QB coach almost every year since he entered the NFL" defense. Winston has had multiple chances with fairly good OC's and Coach's. The problem is they were always playing from behind and the team has never even been decent. He also looks like he doesn't even care out there where I can see that Mariota is at least trying to put some effort. I'm glad we didn't get Mariota but I feel for that guy. Winston I just consider it Karma for how FSU handled all the allegations, covered the whole thing up and treated those poor girls after the matter. It was sickening seeing former Alma Mater who played there go on networks like ESPN and absolutely slut shame the girls. It was incredible unprofessional and not even sure how those people kept their jobs. I've had a few people including a friend who attended FSU say there was bragging about how they covered the whole thing up. My buddy who attended on a LAX scholarship goes back to FSU every Fall for the football season attends 2-3 games yearly so he's on campus a ton. Winston was not the brightest tool in the shed, dude was dumb as rocks and pretty lazy. Got away with a lot apparently not just your typical star athlete misses classes and gets passed by the professor stuff either. Jimbo also got PO'd at him during a game his SR year running out the clock and he almost fumbled the ball and gave it back to the opponent. Last year of school he led the nation in 1st half INTs thrown. They were lucky Florida didn't have a real QB in the rivalry game and their defense picked them up plus UF missed a chip shot FG and would've ended his undefeated streak. Not sure why anyone ever thought the dude was great

Someone named Greg Ward who plays WR has been promoted from the practice squad, which means they may not be expecting Alshon to play.

Mailata to IR.

Users who are viewing this thread