What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (4 Viewers)

His fractured back takes 3-4 months to heal. It won’t be a full off-season. He’s injury prone and hasn’t proven anything aside from dominating against a last place schedule, when we he was playing behind the best o-line in football. Quickest way to fix this team is to trade him for multiple picks and sign Foles a more proven QB to a lower contract extension.
i'm coming in late here so if this is a trolling situation and I am feeding into it, apologies to all.

Anyway, are you familiar with Wentz pre-NFL? I heard from someone that he missed time in CFB with a back injury, and I was wondering the details and if this back thing is on-going. Calling it a "fractured back" is probably simplifying it more than what is actually going on. Considering he probably played a week or 2 with it, I am not sure if it is a slipped disk, or some other injury to his back. Injury prone is also misleading. yes he has had injuries the last 2 years, but it isn't like they aren't due to specific instances.

Good news is Eagles are in a prime position with 2 top 15 QBs. Seems they are letting Foles go and going with Wentz and Sud, and either is a fine option. I would rather either QB than a majority of NFL teams current situation

I kind of think Hunt isn't coming here either. Andy and Doug are best buds. I don't think Doug is going to take someone Andy thinks is bad news.
Meh...if they can play take.....tyreek? .....mike bennett.....the league isnt full of choir boys.....philly had nothing at rb after the injuries....bad luck.....go get you a stud...sign leveon or hunt....go for it

Meh...if they can play take.....tyreek? .....mike bennett.....the league isnt full of choir boys.....philly had nothing at rb after the injuries....bad luck.....go get you a stud...sign leveon or hunt....go for it
I'm just saying if Andy tells Doug, "Look if you take him, he's looking at 6-10 games suspension from the stuff they didn't talk about" then I'd say Doug passes.

👍  IMO, O-line should be a top priority.  Lane Johnson was the last OT taken in the top 4 rounds. Is Peters retiring? He's certainly become unreliable due to injury and a loss of quickness.
I love JP and always will but I think he's done. At our pick we are looking at Jonah Willams the OT from Alabama who's been great, Gregg Mr Reliable Little Ole Miss 5 star recruit out of HS very athletic, Andre Dillard from Wash ST who I don't know much about, 

dhockster said:
So let's say everything you just said is true. Do you come off any better by writing a trolling post in response? I would say stick to football comments and stop worrying about how Eagle's fans respond to comments, or just stay out of the Eagle's thread so you don't get so frustrated. Better options than becoming a troll yourself.
He really can't help himself. He came into the gameday threads late in games when we were losing. This person is an obvious loser with no life. I don't know why you guys bother responding as it's obvious he gets his jimmies off doing this. 

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
If Andy tells Doug look the guy was very untruthful with us on the situation and we told him he could tell us everything and we'd help him through it and he still lied. Well I think Doug is passing on the guy as well. Doug runs the teams very similar to how Andy ran things in the locker room. Maybe not completely but there's more things they do the same then different. It's one of the big reasons Doug was hired by the top guys. They wanted to get back to Andy Reid style coaching in the locker room. just based on everything I've read Hunt was less then truthful with the team and they apparently didn't know about him assaulting the guy. He's likely facing the minimum 4 games for the incident with the girl and possible more added if more comes out about assaulting the male. 

I also don't want Bell because this dude literally quit on his team then continued to act like a child while holding out all year. James Conner proved that maybe Pitt just was perfectly fine without Bell. 

I also don't want Bell because this dude literally quit on his team then continued to act like a child while holding out all year. James Conner proved that maybe Pitt just was perfectly fine without Bell. 
Bell neither quit on his team, nor held out.  FYI.  I don't want him either  because he wants too much cash for the RB position, but come on.  

Jay Ajayi RB

D.J. Alexander ILB

Ronald Darby CB

Jake Elliott  K RFA

Brandon Graham DE

Corey Graham FS

Jordan Hicks ILB

Chris Long DE

Rick Lovato LS RFA

Chris Maragos FS

Jordan Matthews WR

Haloti Ngata DT

LaRoy Reynolds ILB

Richard Rodgers TE

Darren Sproles RB

Nate Sudfeld QB RFA

Golden Tate WR

Mike Wallace WR  

Chance Warmack G

Paul Worrilow OLB

FA’s this season 
Would like to see Brandon Graham, Chris Long, and Sudfeld kept. Maybe Tate, Ajayi, Darby depending on cost and other retainees/signees. The rest are just roster fodder.

I fully expect them to go OL or DL in the 1st.
would make sense, but i think they have enough options they can go multiple options. I mean i never would have guessed they would have drafted a TE with their 1st pick this year. 

usually it is someone who makes sense financially with the salary structure. I would love to see them take a top LB if the draft so happens to allow one to fall. Free safety as well. add some youth to that defense will be nice. 

OL seems like a potential big need, especially if Brooks is out a long time, but that may be better served through free agency. i think the Eagles view Vaiti and Saemalo (will need to get the spelling right if he ends up being a starter) as potential starters on the OL.

I love me the potential in Mailata, but not holding out any hope there and hopefully will be pleasently surprised. Pryor seems like a solid back-up, same with Wiesenewski. 

you want the OL to be a top 5 group in the league to ensure protection for Carson, but i don't know how reliable that can be through the draft. Hopefully Kelce comes back and Brooks is ready by pre-season, and they can draft some guys who won't have to start right away

Would like to see Brandon Graham, Chris Long, and Sudfeld kept. Maybe Tate, Ajayi, Darby depending on cost and other retainees/signees. The rest are just roster fodder.
i'll just be happy if Wormack and his big salary moves on. and i'd add Reynolds to the group above. nice cheap guy who has some potential, and can play special teams

modogg said:
i'm coming in late here so if this is a trolling situation and I am feeding into it, apologies to all.

Anyway, are you familiar with Wentz pre-NFL? I heard from someone that he missed time in CFB with a back injury, and I was wondering the details and if this back thing is on-going. Calling it a "fractured back" is probably simplifying it more than what is actually going on. Considering he probably played a week or 2 with it, I am not sure if it is a slipped disk, or some other injury to his back. Injury prone is also misleading. yes he has had injuries the last 2 years, but it isn't like they aren't due to specific instances.

Good news is Eagles are in a prime position with 2 top 15 QBs. Seems they are letting Foles go and going with Wentz and Sud, and either is a fine option. I would rather either QB than a majority of NFL teams current situation
I’ve been hearing the back issue in college isn’t true. 

The injury this year was a stress fracture to the vertebral body as far as I know. Completely different than a “slipped disk” otherwise known as a herniation of the disc. The fracture wasn’t caused by a hit. It was caused by excessive rotation since he couldn’t plant right on his injured leg. So he used more upper body creating more torque than normal. It was an overcompensation injury from everything I’ve read and he should be fine with the proper rest. There was a scary article or two that—based on conjecture—he could be on his way to spinal stenosis. If that’s true, that’s  a very big deal. It’s a narrowing of the spinal canal. Nothing from the team however should make us believe his back injury is any worse than what they’ve told us. I hope....

The most concerning thing was the severity and complexity of the knee injury. It’s what lead to the back injury. A full offseason of rest and repair and a second year removed from the knee injury and hopefully he’ll be back to normal. Not a 100% guarantee but I’m pretty sure the Eagles staff has done the best diligence they can with him. Let’s all hope it works out fine.

I'm a bigger Tate fan than most, and think with a full offseason to work with Wentz and learn the playbook he could easily be an 80-catch guy here. Unfortunately, the FA WR crop this year is hilariously bad (seriously, go take a look - it's almost an NFL who's who of underachievers and busts), and I expect Tate will get a bigger offer from someone than the Eagles are willing to match.

Okay to franchise Nick and get under the cap: Eagles $12 million over the cap before franchising Nick, franchising him adds $5 million to their cap number. So with Nick Franchised they are $17 million over the cap. If they restructure Lane (save $6 million), restructure Kelce (save $4 million) sign agholor to a new contract (save $5 million), cut Jernigan or Bennett (save $7 million), Cut Long (save $5 million), cut Wisnewski (save $3 million), then that saves them $30 million and gets them $13 million under the cap. Once they are under the cap, then teams know the Eagles don't necessarily need to cut him and then would be more willing to trade for him to get him in a timely manner. 

Should the Eagles make those kind of cuts to keep Nick so that they can trade him for value?

And ultimately is there a team out there who is really going to give the Eagles a whole lot of value knowing that the Eagles really can't keep him and Wentz going into next season?

It hasn’t nothing to do with “can or can’t”....teams know we aren’t keeping him, or franchising him. 

The Designation Game

The Eagles could still place a franchise or transition tag on Foles before the 15-day designation period ended on March 5 provided he buys out the option years. The NFL's preliminary projections of a 2019 salary cap between $187 million and $191.1 million would put the quarterback transition number in the $22.638 million to $23.134 million range. The franchise number with these projections would be between $24.706 million and $25.248 million.

The transition tag would only provide the Eagles a right to match an offer sheet from another team. There wouldn't be any draft choice compensation, like with the non-exclusive franchise tag, if the Eagles didn't exercise their matching rights. The Eagles would likely rescind a transition tag with a high degree of certainty that an unpalatable offer sheet was forthcoming, just like the Dolphinsdid with edge rusher Olivier Vernon in 2016. Foles would become an unrestricted free agent where the Eagles would get a compensatory draft pick in 2020, presumably the maximum in the third round, by him signing with another team.

Giving Foles a non-exclusive franchise tag would be just to trade him although there is specific language in the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement requiring a good faith intention to negotiate with a tendered player or keep him for the upcoming season at his tender. This type of language was a part of the labor agreement in existence in 2009 when the Patriots put a franchise tag on quarterback Matt Cassel. It was obvious New England wasn't going to pay Cassel $14.651 million to be Tom Brady's backup after he recovered from the torn ACL that sidelined him for practically all of the 2008 season. The NFL allowed the Patriots to trade Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel (now Titans head coach) to the Chiefs for a 2009 second round pick (34th overall).

The bigger concern for the Eagles would be Foles quickly signing his franchise tender since it's fully guaranteed when accepted. Doing so could effectively kill any potential trade market where the Eagles run the risk of paying Foles an exorbitant amount to back up Wentz again. Finding a team willing to take Foles for approximately $25 million next season without assurances that he would sign a long-term contract to prevent him from being an expensive one-year rental would be a difficult task.

It would be cost prohibitive for the Eagles to have Foles on a franchise tag for the 2019 season. Philadelphia has the NFL's most 2019 cap commitments at $212,636,950 using offseason cap accounting rules where top 51 cap numbers matter according to NFLPA data. This includes Foles' $20.6 million cap number with the option exercised. There's $6.101 million of cap room that can be carried over to the upcoming league year, which isn't nearly enough for the Eagles to get under the 2019 salary cap, which is projected to be in the $190 million neighborhood.

Philadelphia finding a way to carry Foles at his franchise number would create an awkward financial situation. Foles would be making over six times as much as Wentz to back him up. Wentz's 2019 salary is a little under $4.1 million.

Okay, assuming Foles leaves, Back-up QB becomes very important with Wentz's health concerns. Obviously, Sudfeld will stay as either the 2nd or 3rd QB. Who do you guys think the Eagles can get as a back=up for reasonable money that would be a good fit in the Eagle's offensive system?

Okay, assuming Foles leaves, Back-up QB becomes very important with Wentz's health concerns. Obviously, Sudfeld will stay as either the 2nd or 3rd QB. Who do you guys think the Eagles can get as a back=up for reasonable money that would be a good fit in the Eagle's offensive system?
Draft one...that's all I got.

Sudfeld is the backup.
Well he is unless they get someone with more starting experience. And I am fine with him being the back-up if Pederson is comfortable with what he can do. But having Foles for the last 2 years shows how much difference a quality back-up can make.

I guess the question really is, do you see anyone out there who would be a better back-up than Sudfeld?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he is unless they get someone with more starting experience. And I am fine with him being the back-up if Pederson is comfortable with what he can do. But having Foles for the last 2 years shows how much difference a quality back-up can make.

I guess the question really is, do you see anyone out there who would be a better back-up than Sudfeld?
Based on the cap and what we've seen from him so far, I'm good with Sudfeld.  Draft a 3rd QB to groom.

No I don't.  With the demand for QBs this year, and the lack of them as FA or in the draft, vets like Flacco, etc. will likely get starting gigs somewhere and not want to be a backup.  I like Sudfeld and he's had some absolutely incredible mentors and coaches around him over the last couple years.  I think he will be a good backup.  We can't expect to have a Foles-like backup forever.

No I don't.  With the demand for QBs this year, and the lack of them as FA or in the draft, vets like Flacco, etc. will likely get starting gigs somewhere and not want to be a backup.  I like Sudfeld and he's had some absolutely incredible mentors and coaches around him over the last couple years.  I think he will be a good backup.  We can't expect to have a Foles-like backup forever.
I agree. I just look at the Texans last year with Savage as their back-up, and this year with Weeden as their back-up and I think they have no safety net if Deshaun gets hurt. I think some teams downgrade the need for a good back-up and I don't want the Eagles to be one of those teams (I don't think they are).

Some of the free agent quarterbacks that could be backups are Fitzpatrick, McCown, McCoy, Tyrod Taylor....

I don't think there's anyone out there affordable and good enough to fit. Sudfeld has been here 3 years now? I think they roll him out as the backup and draft a 3rd string.

Chris Wilson out as D-Line coach.  He seemed like a good guy when we hung with him back in October, and will likely land somewhere else.  His kid is likely a 1st round draft pick this year too, and should be top TE off the board.

Chris Wilson out as D-Line coach.  He seemed like a good guy when we hung with him back in October, and will likely land somewhere else.  His kid is likely a 1st round draft pick this year too, and should be top TE off the board.

I heard it wasn't a firing so much as honoring his wish not to renew. He wants a DC job.

I heard it wasn't a firing so much as honoring his wish not to renew. He wants a DC job.
To be honest I'd be very surprised if he got a DC job.  He's bounced around a lot but I don't think Jim was a huge fan of his.

Does anyone know what ever happened to Mack Hollins?
He had core muscle surgery. Something numerous players wind up having. I believe Ertz has it two or three years ago. The Vincera institute at the Navy Yard does almost all the major athletes in the country. Anyway, it’s puzzling he’d miss the entire season. I don’t know if he ran into complications afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Witness protection.

He had core muscle surgery. Something numerous players wind up having. I believe Ertz has it two or three years ago. The Vincera institute at the Navy Yard does almost all the major athletes in the country. Anyway, it’s puzzling he’d miss the entire season. I don’t know if he ran into complications afterwards.
It was just so odd that they didn’t give us any updates on him at all. Even now when I search you see nothing. 

Users who are viewing this thread