What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (2 Viewers)

I'm kinda surprised, I thought they'd just let him walk. Per Bleacher Report:

The Philadelphia Eagles are expected to exercise quarterback Nick Foles' $20 million option for the 2019 season, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

As Rapoport notes, though, Foles has the ability to buy his right to free agency by paying Philadelphia $2 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kinda surprised, I thought they'd just let him walk. Per Bleacher Report:

The Philadelphia Eagles are expected to exercise quarterback Nick Foles' $20 million option for the 2019 season, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

As Rapoport notes, though, Foles has the ability to buy his right to free agency by paying Philadelphia $2 million.
Wow.  They must have a big plan in place.

I said before if they picked up the option then Howie knows exactly how this fits into the cap. Not worried a bit about it. Wonder what they have in mind.

The Eagles paid Foles a million dollars they technically didn't have to pay him. I don't see Foles paying 2 million to get out of the team option. I suspect both parties are working together for the mutual benefit of both.

Even if a trade doesn't work out the Eagles will probably be paying less for the QB position than teams that resigned their franchise guy last year.

You don't pay THAT much to play keep away.  I think they've got a trade partner that Foles is happy to go to.
This is my thoughts when this news broke as well. They’ve got a trade partner already. From now until FA, there will be plenty of offers from teams Foles doesn’t want to play for.  I think Foles and the Eagles do truly have each other’s best interest in mind here. Rare to find these days from both parties involved. Nice to see. 

I agree with the sentiment of others above.  The Eagles have a trade partner set and the team/Foles have worked to optimize the situation for both parties. I can’t help but think you’re looking for an AFC team with a higher 2nd rounder in 2019.  OAK, JAX, and DEN all fit that bill and all have vet starting QBs that they want to send packing.  

Maybe PHI would take a QB in the trade to establish their backup without having to take on bidding for a FA or drafting a rookie in what looks to be a weak class.  That would price out OAK since Carr is scheduled to make just a hair under $20M for each of the next 3 years.  Bortles and Keenum would both be contract friendly in a trade scenario, as their former teams both extended a large portion of their current contracts as guaranteed bonuses that PHI wouldn’t have to take on.

I think the Eagles intentionally leaked the franchise tag story to discourage Foles from picking up the option. Save your 2Mil, you re not going anywhere.

Easier to trade him without the tag. Also easier for his new team to reach extension without tag.

JaxBill said:
I think the Eagles intentionally leaked the franchise tag story to discourage Foles from picking up the option. Save your 2Mil, you re not going anywhere.

Easier to trade him without the tag. Also easier for his new team to reach extension without tag.
SHeil claiming that it’s gotta be some kind of a bluff

Doug should have won coach of the year. Even more deserving this year with what he overcame. But nope, once again it goes to team with a “one and done in the playoffs” coach.

Wish I could have that 4 hours of my life back. Worst game ever. Pats are great, not many teams can take them down in the Super Bowl. ☺️

You don't pay THAT much to play keep away.  I think they've got a trade partner that Foles is happy to go to.
Mort and Schefty today said it was to keep him from both teams and they hope to get something done with JAX do to DeFlippo being there. 

What a terrible SB including halftime what garbage was that? After the game Roger Goodell and the NFL say F this with that display tonight the Philadelphia Eagles are still the defending champs. I should probably call my cousin and make sure some idiot up in Boston didn't beat him and make sure he's safe though

Maybe PHI would take a QB in the trade to establish their backup without having to take on bidding for a FA or drafting a rookie in what looks to be a weak class.  That would price out OAK since Carr is scheduled to make just a hair under $20M for each of the next 3 years.  Bortles and Keenum would both be contract friendly in a trade scenario, as their former teams both extended a large portion of their current contracts as guaranteed bonuses that PHI wouldn’t have to take on.

I don’t see that happening. The Eagles seem genuinely happy with Sudfeld as a backup.

I agree with the sentiment of others above.  The Eagles have a trade partner set and the team/Foles have worked to optimize the situation for both parties. I can’t help but think you’re looking for an AFC team with a higher 2nd rounder in 2019.  OAK, JAX, and DEN all fit that bill and all have vet starting QBs that they want to send packing.  

Eagles got Nat Sudfield who's a ERFA who they really like. Signed him from their PS after Indy tried to steal him last year. Coaches and FO love the guy. 

I don’t see that happening. The Eagles seem genuinely happy with Sudfeld as a backup.
Genuinely? They are thrilled with him. Every time I ask my co worker she says her son says the guys can't stop raving about Nate. They love this kid as much as Wentz and Foles. 

Seriously. How could you think he would even be in the conversation this year?
Because of everything they had to overcome? 🤷‍♂️ 

He should pf won it last year and not the boy offensive genius who only mustered 3 points in the super bowl.

He should pf won it last year and not the boy offensive genius who only mustered 3 points in the super bowl.
Super Bowl to 9-7. I don’t care if he had a one legged QB you’re not overcoming so much you’ll win on a down year, whether it’s warranted or not. 

Doug should have won coach of the year. Even more deserving this year with what he overcame. But nope, once again it goes to team with a “one and done in the playoffs” coach.

Doug should not have won it last year, and definitely should not have won it this year.

I still don't get how people look at playoff results when discussing it.  The voting was done before playoffs started and has NOTHING to do with the playoffs.

Doug should not have won it last year, and definitely should not have won it this year.

I still don't get how people look at playoff results when discussing it.  The voting was done before playoffs started and has NOTHING to do with the playoffs.
Ah whatever....the ring means more anyway.

Everything about that Super Bowl made the Eagles more impressive.

Goff looked terrible (but the O line did not help as he was under pressure a ton).

McVay looked terrible, outcoached and played scared.  That early 4th and 3 around midfield I had no doubt Doug woulda gone for it.  McVay played scared and punted.  Offense looked predictable (blueprint to beat them now?)

Foles's Super Bowl performance just as we want to trade him has to look SOO much better now.  Belicheck shut down McVay and Goff - and Foles torched them.   (Possible Matt Patricia just looks so much worse but whatev)

Worst Superbowl I have ever seen
It was awful but if you're into defense, both teams put on a clinic.  Goff was definitely bad and choked but the Pats D played magnificent.  The Rams D was also very good.  Those were 2 superbowl caliber defenses on the field last night.  Offenses on the other hand left a lot to be desired.    🤢

Users who are viewing this thread