What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (4 Viewers)

So in the last 3 years in the Super Bowl against the Patriots when Bill Belichick has two weeks to prepare:

Kyle Shanahan: 21 offensive points, 344 yards gained

Doug Pederson: 41 offensive points, 538 yards gained

Sean McVay: 3 offensive points, 260 yards gained

So who is an offensive genius?

So in the last 3 years in the Super Bowl against the Patriots when Bill Belichick has two weeks to prepare:

Also add in Andy Reid who couldn't best him with home field and the MVP this year

It was awful but if you're into defense, both teams put on a clinic.  Goff was definitely bad and choked but the Pats D played magnificent.  The Rams D was also very good.  Those were 2 superbowl caliber defenses on the field last night.  Offenses on the other hand left a lot to be desired.    🤢
This is one thing everyone is overlooking.  For all the "Goff looked awful" (he did though), "McVay couldn't score points", "that was an awful super bowl" talk, nothing has been said about the Rams D.  Holding the Pats to 3 points in 3.5 quarters... has that EVER happened in the playoffs?  DB's played amazingly with great coverage and so many last second knockaways.  RB's were getting hit in the backfield it seemed like every 2nd play.  QB's never had the time to let receivers get open down the field. 

I'll admit I would be more entertained with more points, but that was an absolute near perfect defensive game executed by both teams.  I do think Doug's aggressiveness and the way he would have called the game would have given us pretty good odds last night though to win it though.

This is one thing everyone is overlooking.  For all the "Goff looked awful" (he did though), "McVay couldn't score points", "that was an awful super bowl" talk, nothing has been said about the Rams D.  Holding the Pats to 3 points in 3.5 quarters... has that EVER happened in the playoffs?  DB's played amazingly with great coverage and so many last second knockaways.  RB's were getting hit in the backfield it seemed like every 2nd play.  QB's never had the time to let receivers get open down the field. 

I'll admit I would be more entertained with more points, but that was an absolute near perfect defensive game executed by both teams.  I do think Doug's aggressiveness and the way he would have called the game would have given us pretty good odds last night though to win it though.
Agreed, wonderful defensive performance by the Rams which is why Goff getting caught in the headlights is so much more disappointing.

Yes if I'm on the rams defense I'm kinda pissed at my offense

Maybe we can finally stop all of this “McVay is an offensive genius BS.” He’s like most other new hot coaches: they take the league by storm and then the good D coordinators catch up. This is what makes NE so amazing how they morph and adapt rather then stubbornly stick to their system. I’m hoping Doug too will work hard to stay ahead of the curve. 

Oh and I look forward to seeing the 2018 coach of the year come back to earth next season too,

intrigued by this guy. never heard of him before, but something tells me the Eagles swooped in before other teams started to look into him:

G.J. Kinne - C - Eagles

Eagles hired Arkansas offensive analyst G.J. Kinne as offensive assistant.

A 2012 undrafted free agent quarterback, Kinne eventually switched to wideout. He never appeared in a regular season game. Only 30, Kinne is moving on to the NFL after two years in the college coaching ranks.

Kwai Chang Caine said:
Maybe we can finally stop all of this “McVay is an offensive genius BS.” He’s like most other new hot coaches: they take the league by storm and then the good D coordinators catch up. This is what makes NE so amazing how they morph and adapt rather then stubbornly stick to their system. I’m hoping Doug too will work hard to stay ahead of the curve. 

Oh and I look forward to seeing the 2018 coach of the year come back to earth next season too,
The moment was way too big for goff n mcvay.....it showed....they played with tight asses all night....

modogg said:
intrigued by this guy. never heard of him before, but something tells me the Eagles swooped in before other teams started to look into him:

G.J. Kinne - C - Eagles

A 2012 undrafted free agent quarterback, Kinne eventually switched to wideout. He never appeared in a regular season game. Only 30, Kinne is moving on to the NFL after two years in the college coaching ranks.
He was the Eagles 4th string/Practice Squad Qb when Chip was the coach. 

Deamon said:
Holding the Pats to 3 points in 3.5 quarters... has that EVER happened in the playoffs?
Unfortunately, they play 4 quarters. And IMO, some of the NE game plan and the success of the Rams defense was predicated on the fact the Rams did next to nothing on offense. NE was happy to play a field position game, run the clock, play keep away, and utilize a conservative game plan to tire out the LAR defenders. If the Rams had scored more, I am confident NE would have opened up the offense more (and thus scored more).

As for your question, NE was held to 13 points by DEN in the 2005 season and BAL in the 2012 season. NE got behind in both of those games, so they were definitely going all out on offense. Last night, NE held back some offensively until they turned things up when they needed to. This is not to say that the Rams didn't play great, only that the Pats won the late game chess match.

Wow, Wentz is usually brushes off reports about him/his health but he was pretty open in responding to that article from a few weeks ago.  Glad to see that as much as a lot of it is BS, he still read it. 

"I know I’m not perfect. I know I have flaws," Wentz said. "So I’m not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up. I’m not going to do that." Wentz also said he's unlikely to change. "I’m 26 years old; my personality, to some extent, ain’t going to change. ... It’s what’s gotten me here, what’s gotten me successful. I’m not going to say, ‘Oh, now I’m going to have this free-spirited, Cali-guy vibe.’ That’s just not going to change."

Unfortunately, they play 4 quarters. And IMO, some of the NE game plan and the success of the Rams defense was predicated on the fact the Rams did next to nothing on offense. NE was happy to play a field position game, run the clock, play keep away, and utilize a conservative game plan to tire out the LAR defenders. If the Rams had scored more, I am confident NE would have opened up the offense more (and thus scored more).

As for your question, NE was held to 13 points by DEN in the 2005 season and BAL in the 2012 season. NE got behind in both of those games, so they were definitely going all out on offense. Last night, NE held back some offensively until they turned things up when they needed to. This is not to say that the Rams didn't play great, only that the Pats won the late game chess match.
I'm not so sure they just 'could have turned it on and scored more if they wanted to".  That seems like a stretch.  Guys weren't getting open deep... are you suggesting that if the WR's tried a little harder, they'd be more open?  Rams D frustrated the Pats and definitely took them out of their game and what they wanted to do offensively.  They definitely won and deserved to win, but the Rams played a brilliant defensive game... that will forever be overshadowed by how poorly their offense (or how well New Englands offense) did.

His Full Response here: 

"It kind of came out of nowhere," he said. "I was literally eating breakfast with my wife, and [a member of the Eagles media relations staff] texted me. Literally, we do, like, quiet time in the morning. We eat breakfast and then I go sit on the couch. So I'm about to go read my Bible and then I get that text and now I'm reading this."

"It's never fun to read, but to an extent, you look at it and be like, 'Well, if someone did have this perception of me, why? What have I done wrong? What can I get better at?'" he said. "I realize I have my shortcomings. Yes, I can be selfish. I think we all have selfishness inside of us. There's human elements to that, that I really look at and say, 'Well, I can get better.'"

"I'll learn from it and we'll all learn that A, things shouldn't kind of come out the way it did, and B, the pieces that I can learn from it and be a better teammate and player and all that stuff I will grow from," he said. "But other than that, just turn the page."

"Groh and I talked to each other that day when it came out, and I think we all know that never took place," Wentz said. "I even go back to the year before with Frank [Reich], I know Frank has gone and said that he and I used to have these competitive arguments, but they're healthy. That stuff happens. That's, I think, what good football teams have, the ability to respectfully do that and kind of be stubborn and those things. It was the same way with Groh. In my opinion, he is a very good football mind, and in my opinion, I feel like I have something to contribute, too, so I thought we had some really healthy dialogue. To say, quote, 'bullied him,' I'd say that's kind of disrespectful to Groh. I don't think anyone bullies Coach Groh."

Wentz acknowledged he "maybe wasn't the greatest teammate at times" over the past year because he was "emotionally kind of all over the place" as he battled multiple injuries, worked separately from the group while he rehabbed and had to watch team success from the sideline.

"You go through the [ACL] injury, and you're just 100 percent determined to get back, that's, like, what my mind is on. And looking back, were there things that maybe I neglected as a teammate and as a friend because I was just so determined and that's all that mattered?" Wentz said.

"I'm 26 years old; my personality, to some extent, ain't going to change," he said. "What's gotten me here, what's gotten me successful, I'm not going to say, 'Oh, now I'm going to have this free-spirited, Cali-guy vibe.' That's just not going to change.

"Any time you're a Type A guy, there's a fine line between being pushy and shove-y and humble and humility and walking that line. Definitely learning to navigate that always and never trying to look down on anybody or make it seem like I'm better than anybody. But at the same time, as a Type A, so to speak, confident person that's confident in off-the-field things and then on the field with what we like, that's not going to change. That's not going to go anywhere. I think that's something that is a positive if used correctly."

I'm not so sure they just 'could have turned it on and scored more if they wanted to".  That seems like a stretch.  Guys weren't getting open deep... are you suggesting that if the WR's tried a little harder, they'd be more open?  Rams D frustrated the Pats and definitely took them out of their game and what they wanted to do offensively.  They definitely won and deserved to win, but the Rams played a brilliant defensive game... that will forever be overshadowed by how poorly their offense (or how well New Englands offense) did.
True or false. When NE had to score they went down the field and got a TD. All I am saying is the Patriots have the ability to dial up the offense and take more risks. They struggled moving the ball against any number of teams. Look at the Chiefs the game before. Or the Falcons game. Or the Jaguars game last year. 

So yes, I think if their lives depended on it and it was do or die, they could have mustered up more offense. NE got 10 points on their last two drives and only 3 points in all their drives before that. They could have called different plays. They could have added in more deceptive plays. They could have gone hurry up / no huddle. There were any number of ways they could have stepped on the gas. But they were content to play more conservatively and play a field position game until they had to score points.

If the Rams had scored 28 points, do you really think the Patriots would have been content to run the ball, take as much time off the clock, and just punt the ball away? I'm not saying the Patriots weren't trying to score. All I'm saying is they had the ability to ramp up the offense and they didn't until the end of the game.

i actually agree with Anarchy on this one. I mean every time they came near the 4th down the punt team was already going on the field, as opposed to last SB when they were willing to keep trying and continuing the drives. there was no need to take chances and risks, they could play conservative for the first half and little bit of the 3rd wearing down Rams D with no threat of being down score wise.

A brilliant defensive game would have at least covered Edelman some, or looked to get more turnovers/get better field position.

His Full Response here: 

"It kind of came out of nowhere," he said. "I was literally eating breakfast with my wife, and [a member of the Eagles media relations staff] texted me. Literally, we do, like, quiet time in the morning. We eat breakfast and then I go sit on the couch. So I'm about to go read my Bible and then I get that text and now I'm reading this."

"It's never fun to read, but to an extent, you look at it and be like, 'Well, if someone did have this perception of me, why? What have I done wrong? What can I get better at?'" he said. "I realize I have my shortcomings. Yes, I can be selfish. I think we all have selfishness inside of us. There's human elements to that, that I really look at and say, 'Well, I can get better.'"

"I'll learn from it and we'll all learn that A, things shouldn't kind of come out the way it did, and B, the pieces that I can learn from it and be a better teammate and player and all that stuff I will grow from," he said. "But other than that, just turn the page."

"Groh and I talked to each other that day when it came out, and I think we all know that never took place," Wentz said. "I even go back to the year before with Frank [Reich], I know Frank has gone and said that he and I used to have these competitive arguments, but they're healthy. That stuff happens. That's, I think, what good football teams have, the ability to respectfully do that and kind of be stubborn and those things. It was the same way with Groh. In my opinion, he is a very good football mind, and in my opinion, I feel like I have something to contribute, too, so I thought we had some really healthy dialogue. To say, quote, 'bullied him,' I'd say that's kind of disrespectful to Groh. I don't think anyone bullies Coach Groh."

Wentz acknowledged he "maybe wasn't the greatest teammate at times" over the past year because he was "emotionally kind of all over the place" as he battled multiple injuries, worked separately from the group while he rehabbed and had to watch team success from the sideline.

"You go through the [ACL] injury, and you're just 100 percent determined to get back, that's, like, what my mind is on. And looking back, were there things that maybe I neglected as a teammate and as a friend because I was just so determined and that's all that mattered?" Wentz said.

"I'm 26 years old; my personality, to some extent, ain't going to change," he said. "What's gotten me here, what's gotten me successful, I'm not going to say, 'Oh, now I'm going to have this free-spirited, Cali-guy vibe.' That's just not going to change.

"Any time you're a Type A guy, there's a fine line between being pushy and shove-y and humble and humility and walking that line. Definitely learning to navigate that always and never trying to look down on anybody or make it seem like I'm better than anybody. But at the same time, as a Type A, so to speak, confident person that's confident in off-the-field things and then on the field with what we like, that's not going to change. That's not going to go anywhere. I think that's something that is a positive if used correctly."
they talked about this on the Birds with Friends with podcast. apparently this was for only a handful of reporters and they said Carson came off well and honest.

Lot of Goff looked bad talk, but wasn't what I saw. Seemed Goff was under constant pressure and rarely had a man open. Would love to look at the wide angle tape to double check, but every time he threw it seemed like he was both under pressure AND throwing to guys who were far less then wide-open. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the other team.

And this was far from the worst Super Bowl ever. It was just a bit old-school. I remember watching the Broncos getting beat by 30...THAT was a terrible game

His Full Response here: 

Love the honest accountability 

Lot of Goff looked bad talk, but wasn't what I saw. Seemed Goff was under constant pressure and rarely had a man open. Would love to look at the wide angle tape to double check, but every time he threw it seemed like he was both under pressure AND throwing to guys who were far less then wide-open. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the other team.

And this was far from the worst Super Bowl ever. It was just a bit old-school. I remember watching the Broncos getting beat by 30...THAT was a terrible game
Goff was missing reads. It was obvious. The broadcast didn’t highlight how badly his missed the read when Cooks was standing in the end zone and the off side DB came over and broke it up. He literally missed Cooks running open for 3 seconds. The Int when they were driving at the end was terrible. BB must have been laughing inside thinking that he had to coach against that clown 

dhockster said:

Pederson has way more experience than McVay and not the ego of Shanahan. He knew that to beat the Pats you have to take risks and hope those risks pay off. He brought something the Pats had never seen before. McVay didn't learn from that.

CentralPA said:
Glad I didn't watch the second half.  From one of the greatest SB to one of the worst (unless you like defense).

Kinda feel like if they got pass the Saints they could've won it again.  Oh well..
I appreciate Defensive games but I also didn't care for the big 12 Game that the Chiefs were in this year on MNF either. What I hated was there was really nothing worth remembering about this game at all. There was flags galore and one of the rams players was flagged for a basic tackle. The only things monumental about this game was Chris Long winning Walter Payton award (if we aren't winning a SB we can take pride we got the best community man in Football), The Game of Thrones, NFL 100 and Avengers commercials and when the ref blew the whistle to end that #### show. 

babydemon90 said:
Everything about that Super Bowl made the Eagles more impressive.

Goff looked terrible (but the O line did not help as he was under pressure a ton).

McVay looked terrible, outcoached and played scared.  That early 4th and 3 around midfield I had no doubt Doug woulda gone for it.  McVay played scared and punted.  Offense looked predictable (blueprint to beat them now?)

Foles's Super Bowl performance just as we want to trade him has to look SOO much better now.  Belicheck shut down McVay and Goff - and Foles torched them.   (Possible Matt Patricia just looks so much worse but whatev)
I don't care how injured he was because he was obviously healthy enough to suit up but when the best all purpose back in the NFL is on your team in the biggest game of the year you play him no questions asked. 

modogg said:

G.J. Kinne - C - Eagles

The Myth the Legend G.J. Kinne is back with the Eagles. Best Practice Squad player ever. Should be a future Hall of Famer IMHO 

they talked about this on the Birds with Friends with podcast. apparently this was for only a handful of reporters and they said Carson came off well and honest.
Yes only main guys were there. McManus, Berman, McClane, Frank, etc. A Delco Times reporter was #####ing about it on social media how he wasn't invited and then Mark Eckel (Guy who wrote the Jackson hit piece everyone figured out was mostly BS when DJ was released) chimed in with "yeah we use to joke around 1-2 guys were just fans reporting now it's all of them" Mike Sielcki chimed in I respect both of you and disagree with that. Then Eckel came back "yeah nothing more then a bunch of homers for the team get picked but we don't." Who they picked really shows who the Eagles trust with the guys in the locker room. Like I said previously my CO worker said her Son said no one knew who this guy Joe was to begin with. Pretty convient that Joe said he didn't get any of his sources inside the locker room but they came to him outside of the team complex. Honestly Wentz shouldn't have flattered this guy with a response. Best way to handle some no name like this is to not even acknowledge them.  

I don't care how injured he was because he was obviously healthy enough to suit up but when the best all purpose back in the NFL is on your team in the biggest game of the year you play him no questions asked. 
It was criminal how they seemed to misuse Gurley in the playoffs.  I have no clue what happened there.

It was criminal how they seemed to misuse Gurley in the playoffs.  I have no clue what happened there.
I heard there was a knee/foot injury during commentary during the game but I heard nothing the last few weeks about him. It was criminal to misuse him like that.I don't remember the last time someone was so misused like that. 

I heard there was a knee/foot injury during commentary during the game but I heard nothing the last few weeks about him. It was criminal to misuse him like that.I don't remember the last time someone was so misused like that. 
In the Gurley thread, there is a lot of back and forth regarding a potential injury.  Even so, if he's healthy enough to play, I'm going down with that ship.  McVay should have seen that Goff had nothing last night and adjusted a gameplan to feature Gurley (or even CJ for that matter).  He didn't really do that.  

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Gurley thread, there is a lot of back and forth regarding a potential injury.  Even so, if he's healthy enough to play, I'm going down with that ship.  McVay should have seen that Goff had nothing last night and adjusted a gameplan to feature Gurley (or even CJ for that matter).  He didn't really do that.  
It’s difficult to determine who crapped the bed more between McVay and Goff. Goff was hideous but McVay was owned by BB

modogg said:

G.J. Kinne - C - Eagles

chip was in love with him when he was here.   he was the on the practice squad for a while, played in some preseson games.

Rams o-line wasn’t doing Goff any favors, but he still looked awful. Maybe he was psyched out? Foles and Wentz are much better. 

McVay was horrendously out-coached. 

Call me crazy, but I think our 9-7 team would have put up a better fight. 

Rams o-line wasn’t doing Goff any favors, but he still looked awful. Maybe he was psyched out? Foles and Wentz are much better. 

The thing is the Rams did put up a fight.  For as bad as they were on offense, it was anyone's game with 4 minutes to play.  I bet a good chunk of money on the Pats (-2.5) and I couldn't believe how many chances the Pats had to put that game away.  I thought for sure the Rams were going to find some fluky way to win that game.  

But I think the Eagles would have put up a great fight and very likely would have won.  I would say the same thing for the Bears, Saints, Seahawks or Cowboys.  I don't think the Patriots were that dominant but they just know how to close.

Definitely would have. Not saying we'd have won but it would have been a much better game.

Stolen:

Roses are Red,
The Patriots wear Blue,
Tom Brady lost to Nick Foles,
In Super Bowl Fifty-Two.

This is like the all time great mystery of this season. I’ll say this much here since the Gurley thread is a disaster—if he’s hurt then the Rams should be in MAJOR trouble with the league for not disclosing this for weeks and weeks. Or, mcvay thought they were better off in a time share which while I can concede that maybe Anderson has his uses as a hammer, how you don’t have Gurley helping Goff in the passing game is mind blowing. It would appear one of these scenarios is true and both are bad for different reasons.

The thing is the Rams did put up a fight.  For as bad as they were on offense, it was anyone's game with 4 minutes to play.  I bet a good chunk of money on the Pats (-2.5) and I couldn't believe how many chances the Pats had to put that game away.  I thought for sure the Rams were going to find some fluky way to win that game.  

But I think the Eagles would have put up a great fight and very likely would have won.  I would say the same thing for the Bears, Saints, Seahawks or Cowboys.  I don't think the Patriots were that dominant but they just know how to close.
I actually forgot include the rams D in my post, but yeah their defense played their hearts out. But Brady always manages to slip one or two big plays in there (the big pass to Gronk, for example). 

The rams defense put them in position several times but the offense just couldn’t click. And even after halftime their adjustments didn’t matter. 

Not even an hour after it was reported that the Eagles are picking up Nick Foles’ option for the 2019 season, NFL insider Adam Schefter is reporting Foles is choosing to void the deal by paying $2 million back to Philadelphia.

Franchise incoming. It's best for Foles too. Sets the bar at $25m salary when negotiating a new deal for his new team.

Nah if they were ok with $20m, they're fine going the distance if they have a trade lined up.
Nick wants to start. We announced Wentz is the starter. He was either going to get cut or  buy his way to go start and get more security. 

We’re now in line for a 3rd round comp pick.

This details what we’d have to do, in the next few weeks, to trade him. It ain’t happening.

The bottom line: The Eagles would be crazy to use the franchise tag. This is not news.

It's also not the most likely way the Eagles can deal Foles, in the unlikely event that they do. The way a deal could possibly get done is if the Eagles picked up Foles' option, and he did not buy his way to free agency by paying back a $2 million signing bonus. There would have to be a perfect storm of cooperation from three different sides for that to happen:

The team acquiring Foles (let's just call them the Jaguars from here on out so I don't have to keep typing "the team acquiring Foles" over and over) would have to value Foles enough that they want to secure his rights without the rest of the league having a chance to bid on him, and they're willing to give up a decent asset to do so.

The Eagles would have to be willing to do a whole lot of cutting and/or restructuring of players to make room for Foles on the 2019 cap when the new league year begins. For this effort, they would need the Jaguars to cough up at least a Day 2 pick (or some value equivalent of that) to make it worth their while over the third round comp pick they're otherwise likely to receive in 2020.

Foles would have to want to go to the Jaguars, and be willing to sign a long-term deal with them. More realistically, he would have to have a long-term deal already in place with the Jaguars before he'd ever pass on buying his way to free agency once the Eagles exercised his 2019 option. He would save $2 million this way, as he would not be buying his free agency.

Possible? Yes. Highly unlikely? Also yes.

Insein said:
Nah if they were ok with $20m, they're fine going the distance if they have a trade lined up.
I’m struggling to think of anyone who has been as incorrect about anything on this forum as bigboy has been about Foles (maybe Soulfly about Josh Gordon, and in similar fashion continues to double down). Amazingly, he posts an article about the Eagles letting Foles go “free and clear” from a week ago, right after they picked up his $20mm option 2 days after the season ends. He also did say Foles wouldn’t see $40mm if he won another SB, so he might have a pretty awful read on this one. 

Think he has his him rated somewhere between Jamarcus Russell & Joey Harrington.

I hope they don’t tag him, but I’d think the odds are at least 50/50 they do.

Amazingly, he posts an article about the Eagles letting Foles go “free and clear” from a week ago, right after they picked up his $20mm option 2 days after the season ends.
Did you read it? Or even the part I quoted?  It covered all the outcomes, weird stalker guy. 

When it comes to the Eagles, I trust Bigboy's opinion more than just about anyone else on this site.  But that's just me....     :shrug:  
Well, I look at facts, not opinions.

The first piece of evidence came rolling in when they picked up the $20mm instantly. That’s hard evidence they’re looking to trade him and they’re moving quick. 

We’ll see how it shakes out, but when someone says a guy who wins back to back SB titles as the most coveted free agent QB won’t see $40mm guaranteed, I’m of the opinion that all credibility is lost. 

Who won back to back superbowl titles?  Are we talking about Foles or Brady (or Bradshaw)?       :confused:  

ETA - OK I misread your post.  I thought you were saying Foles won back to back.  Regardless, I still trust BB's opinion when it comes to the Eagles.  But we'll see how it all shakes out

Users who are viewing this thread