What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (8 Viewers)

Deamon said:
I agree he would have won it but there's no way it was unanimous.  At that point it was neck and neck between him and Brady but I think Carson would have squeaked it out.
I think Carson would've won it regardless. It took Brady till the 2nd to last week of the season to catch up to him on TD passes if I remember. Those guys take TD passes total pretty big 

I think Carson would've won it regardless. It took Brady till the 2nd to last week of the season to catch up to him on TD passes if I remember. Those guys take TD passes total pretty big 
He probably would have won it, yes.  I'm saying it would be very far from unanimous vote.

Howie Roseman Has a new Title. Unfortunately its not CAP GOD 

Eagles announce FO changes More like Promotions from within

Per BGN

The Philadelphia Eagles officially announced some front office changes on Thursday evening. Here’s a look at the changes to the Eagles’ two main sectors: scouting and football operations. 

The most significant news is that Eagles director of player personnel Andy Weidl has been promoted to the old title that new New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas previously held: vice president of player personnel. I profiled Weidl as an obvious Douglas replacement earlier this week:

Promoting Weidl seems like a smart move. Continuity makes sense for a front office that’s been stable and successful in recent years. 

In other noteworthy news, Howie Roseman has a new and even more lengthy title. He used to be the Eagles’ executive vice president of football operations. Now he’s listed as “executive vice president/general manager.” Roseman hasn’t officially had GM in his title since 2014. Of course, he’s been the Eagles’ de facto GM since returning to power in 2016 and he’ll remain in that role. 

Ian Cunningham is essentially the new Andy Weidl in the way that Weidl used to be Douglas’s right hand man. Cunningham, formerly with the Ravens, was hired to be the Eagles’ director of college scouting back in 2017. 

Eagles assistant director of pro scouting Brandon Brown has been promoted to Dwanye Joseph’s old role: director of pro scouting. Joseph left to join the Oakland Raiders’ front office earlier this offseason. The Eagles’ pro scouting staff has done a good job in recent years so this is an important position. 

Max Gruder is a new addition to the Eagles’ front office; he previously worked for the Miami Dolphins. Gruder will hold the title of “assistant director of pro scouting” in Philly. The great Josh Norris previously had this to say about Gruder:

Josh Norris✔@JoshNorris

Max and I graduated high school together. He's good people and going to a great organization. Great news all around.

Neil Stratton@InsideTheLeague

Multiple sources tell us #Dolphins pro scout Max Gruder is headed to the #Eagles, where he'll serve in an undisclosed pro scouting role. @Mgruder55 had been w/@MiamiDolphins since '13. Also played briefly for #Falcons & in college for @Pitt_FB.

3:17 PM - May 13, 2019

Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Josh Norris's other Tweets

You might recall new Eagles director of football administration Bryce Johnston as the guy who used to run EaglesCap.com. Prior to even working for the team, he was tracking the Eagles’ cap space prior to sites like Over The Cap and Spotrac. Cool to see he’s moving up in the organization. 

Here’s what Roseman had to say about all the changes:

Another important thing worth noting is that it looks like the Eagles won’t be losing many (if any) front office members to the Jets’ front office with Douglas now in control. That could always change if/when his old friends have their contracts run up and they want to join Douglas in New York. For now, though, the Eagles are retaining a lot of front office talent. And that’s important.

Are we improved at every offensive position this year?

Better QB (Don't need to argue this one to the grave, but a healthy Carson is better than a hurt Carson)
Better RBs (Lost no one, gained Howard and stud rookie)
Better WRs (Rookie looks great so far, Desean now here, lost only Tate)
Better TEs (Goederts improvement looks huge, Ertz still Ertz)
Better OL (Healthy Lane, Dillard, everyone else back.)

Better QB (Don't need to argue this one to the grave, but a healthy Carson is better than a hurt Carson)

My belief for awhile now is that the person with the most pressure on them this season is Mike Groh. What we saw scheme-wise from the offense last year was underwhelming compared to what Reich did in '16 & '17. Most of the criticism Groh got was deflected (his first year, injuries, Tate's fit, etc.) but this year he won't be able to hide behind any of it. If we don't see a more consistent offense, with creative use of all the talented weapons they have, he's going to be in trouble (with some stink going to Doug since there were already whispers last year that some of his "magic" went away with Reich and DeFillippo.)

The Noid said:
My belief for awhile now is that the person with the most pressure on them this season is Mike Groh. What we saw scheme-wise from the offense last year was underwhelming compared to what Reich did in '16 & '17. Most of the criticism Groh got was deflected (his first year, injuries, Tate's fit, etc.) but this year he won't be able to hide behind any of it. If we don't see a more consistent offense, with creative use of all the talented weapons they have, he's going to be in trouble (with some stink going to Doug since there were already whispers last year that some of his "magic" went away with Reich and DeFillippo.)
I think that's a really good point. I felt that way about the loss of Reich. ANd initiaally about DeFilippo 'tli he got fired and stories started comimg out of Eagles sources that he wasn't all that.

I think that's a really good point. I felt that way about the loss of Reich. ANd initiaally about DeFilippo 'tli he got fired and stories started comimg out of Eagles sources that he wasn't all that.
Yeah I heard he clashed a lot with Doug and Frank and Carson seemed to be frustrated with him but do to his personality he'd never publicly shame the guy. My Co workers son made a compliment that had Big Ben had Fipp as his QB coach lets just say the comments would've been pretty entertaining from a media stand point. 

Speaking of my Coworkers son and Carson he got engaged this past week to his Girlfriend. Carson took him to the same place as he went for his and helped him pick it out. It was done as a TY for all the Times her Son helped Carson with recommendations given he's local to Philly about areas Carson could live, eat and other things. The dude just keeps doing things that make you love him even more. 

Deamon said:

well, in starter yea.  Technically losing Foles as a SuperBowl MVP caliber backup is a big hit. All the other areas I say yes.  Need Carson to stay healthy.

The Noid said:
100 %.   I think Groh is probably a fine WR coach, but it remains to be seen if he can devise an effective offense at the NFL level. We absolutely lost a lot when Reich left (still bitter at McDaniels).  Last year was his first ever though - maybe he makes a jump? Sean McVay's first year as an OC was not good either. I'm curious what the average production is for coach's first ever year after getting promoted to full on OC.  It's a concern - but we should remember coaches need to get experience and learn from mistakes as well.  Let's see his 2019 season and if he can improve.

well, in starter yea.  Technically losing Foles as a SuperBowl MVP caliber backup is a big hit. All the other areas I say yes.  Need Carson to stay healthy.
Ya, that's why I said no need to argue the QB one as it's been done enough :P

I think overall though, QB play this year will be stronger than last.

The Noid said:
Not a big Groh fan, his resume and what he showed last year was underwhelming at best. Also remembering how bad he sucked at UVA probably sticks with me. 

Deamon said:

The offense has the potential to be devastating. And it better be and hopefully Wentz stays healthy because I have a feeling the defense is going to take a big step back this year. 

Im worried about the O-line as well. Hopefully the rookie steps,up quickly if JP follows the same pattern as last year and is Big V gonna replace Brooks for a while? I’m actually kinda nervous about those two things to the point that I worry we could have a disappointment of a season, I sure as hell hope,I’m wrong.

The offense has the potential to be devastating. And it better be and hopefully Wentz stays healthy because I have a feeling the defense is going to take a big step back this year. 

Im worried about the O-line as well. Hopefully the rookie steps,up quickly if JP follows the same pattern as last year and is Big V gonna replace Brooks for a while? I’m actually kinda nervous about those two things to the point that I worry we could have a disappointment of a season, I sure as hell hope,I’m wrong.
I feel like we are good not great on both sides of the ball.  We should have a great chance to win every game.  Not much more you can ask for imo

I feel like we are good not great on both sides of the ball.  We should have a great chance to win every game.  Not much more you can ask for imo
I agree with this... to an extent. The Eagles have a franchise QB, weapons at every skill position, and about as talented and deep an OL as a team could hope to have in today’s salary capped NFL. The defense has Cox and Jenkins as cornerstones and there’s sufficient talent on every level. I don’t like the Long and Bennett subtractions but old is old and Barnett seems poised to take the next step. LB is thin but when isn’t it under this regime?  IMO they have DC in Schwartz that doesn’t get the credit he deserves. Is his scheme ideal? Maybe no but maybe yes based upon the personnel he has to work with. I do wish he’d mix in a creative blitz on a percentage of snaps but I don’t find myself thinking he’s a weakness. I just wish he’d inject a scheme creativity that hasn’t yet been evident. This team is set up. Health is the wild card but that’s always the case. Knowing they have a legit shot going in is all I can ask. 

need2know said:
I'm still shocked groh wasn't fired
I'm not sure how you could fire a first time offensive coordinator, when his team makes the 2nd round of the playoffs in year 1. 

I don't know why you say this about the defense.  We were 23rd in total defense last year, I don't think a 'big step back' is even possible unless you think we're going to have the worst D in the league.

I also think our D-line obviously got less DEEP, but I love the addition of Malik is going to be huge and really help out Fletch.  I think our DL is going to be great this year.  DB's are no worse than last year, in fact probably will be better as those street guys now  have some experience.  They played really well at the end of last year. 

Obviously with an increased offense potentially comes with our Defense giving up more points (garbage time, shootouts, etc.) so I actually think we might give up the same points/yardage as last year, but will be able to outscore those teams now.

I think our biggest issue on defense last year was our offense. More scoring and/or long drives by the offense will play to the strengths of our defense. Healthy Wentz, improved backfield, and our receiving weapons should help us do that (assuming the O-line holds up.)

I don't know why you say this about the defense.  We were 23rd in total defense last year, I don't think a 'big step back' is even possible unless you think we're going to have the worst D in the league.

I also think our D-line obviously got less DEEP, but I love the addition of Malik is going to be huge and really help out Fletch.  I think our DL is going to be great this year.  DB's are no worse than last year, in fact probably will be better as those street guys now  have some experience.  They played really well at the end of last year. 

Obviously with an increased offense potentially comes with our Defense giving up more points (garbage time, shootouts, etc.) so I actually think we might give up the same points/yardage as last year, but will be able to outscore those teams now.
I hope you’re right. I’m just pointing out though that the d line and secondary could be materially worse this year. That 23 rd ranking doesn’t is confusing since they were obviously better later and absolutely sucked early on. Also, I don’t think Cox is healthy yet is he? Who do you see as the starters in the secondary other than Malcolm? A lot of question marks for Darby, Mills and Jones. Maddox might be the best. That would be disappointing no?

I think our biggest issue on defense last year was our offense. More scoring and/or long drives by the offense will play to the strengths of our defense. Healthy Wentz, improved backfield, and our receiving weapons should help us do that (assuming the O-line holds up.)
That I totally agree with. Play with a lead and warts on the D can be covered up. And I trust Schwartz especially as the year wears on.

KC Radio takes host off air who made disparaging comments about Andy Reid and his family comparing it to the Tyreke Hill situation. From my co workers so and some others I've taken to this clown host is the Cataldi/Mikey Miss of KC

KC Radio host taken off show after Comments involving Andy Reid and family

For those who remember a few months back I told a story at my work where a female customer made disparaging remarks on Andy and the family to the point I couldn't hold back and said something to her. If this clown was out in public I'd have had a few choice words for him. 

For those who remember a few months back I told a story at my work where a female customer made disparaging remarks on Andy and the family to the point I couldn't hold back and said something to her. 
Canned. If you can’t control your emotions enough to act professionally when a customer broaches a sensitive subject pertaining to your favorite sports team, it’s time to go. Unsurprisingly I don’t sense dying brand ACME was so proactive

Last edited by a moderator:
Canned. If you can’t control your emotions enough to act professionally when a customer broaches a sensitive subject pertaining to your favorite sports team, it’s time to go. Unsurprisingly I don’t sense dying brand ACME was so proactive
This was super Fresh. The women was being beyond professional and using some very sensitive language. I could tell there were other customers uncomfortable around her. She was honestly lucky my ASD at the time didn't hear her or was there or he'd have thrown her out the door. Multiple customers thanked me for saying something. Funny thing about the whole thing was she was arrested for shop lifting at another store 6 months later. I said nothing unprofessional either too her. I just told her she might want to mind her own business.and she knew nothing of the subject matter. The Cashier who was ringing her up had a personal experience losing her brother and a friend to similar issues as the Reid's went through and I told her that and she was obviously getting upset. The # priority of our stores besides customer satisfaction is the safety and welfare of those employees as well because if something happens to the employee that the company could do something and didn't they could be in trouble. 

If it makes you feel better my manager was ready to at the very least write me up for the offense until customers stepped in and told him what really happened and how I defended my co worker who was upset. Honestly if I was a manager and saw the situation and saw one of my employees upset and noticed what was going on I would've sent her out the store empty handed. It's one thing to have an opinion upset an employee because you think you're an entitled jackass and almost any retail store the Manager will take the side of their employees. 

I figured I'd ask this question here because you guys might know as well as anyone. 

The bar that hosted my auction league's draft since its inception closed. We need to find a new venue, but it's tricky because with auctions, we need to be able to hear everyone the whole time, and with our league, we have some people who moved out of the Philly area and participate remotely. 

So, we need to find a venue in the Philly area (suburbs/NJ OK) that has a private room or quiet area that is not crazy expensive to secure, and that has good WiFi. Any suggestions? 

I figured I'd ask this question here because you guys might know as well as anyone. 

The bar that hosted my auction league's draft since its inception closed. We need to find a new venue, but it's tricky because with auctions, we need to be able to hear everyone the whole time, and with our league, we have some people who moved out of the Philly area and participate remotely. 

So, we need to find a venue in the Philly area (suburbs/NJ OK) that has a private room or quiet area that is not crazy expensive to secure, and that has good WiFi. Any suggestions? 
Try renting a hotel small conference room.  Acoustics and wifi should be business-class, more than enough for your needs, and a newer hotel will have ample connectors for everyone to be hooked into whatever video or audio chat you want.

Plus, you have the option of in-house catered refreshment if you don’t want to bring in from the outside (which is also an option in most cases).

Hey Philly guys, taking our annual FFL roadtrip to the eagles vs Lions game...….how nice are the Philly casinos? Which one would you recommend staying at? I see that they all have sports books now....perfect for our Saturday of college ball betting.....

Try renting a hotel small conference room.  Acoustics and wifi should be business-class, more than enough for your needs, and a newer hotel will have ample connectors for everyone to be hooked into whatever video or audio chat you want.

Plus, you have the option of in-house catered refreshment if you don’t want to bring in from the outside (which is also an option in most cases).
We've done drafts at Buffalo Wild Wings and a Jason's Deli they both had a separate room for private parties, a couple of guys brought their laptops.

Hey Philly guys, taking our annual FFL roadtrip to the eagles vs Lions game...….how nice are the Philly casinos? Which one would you recommend staying at? I see that they all have sports books now....perfect for our Saturday of college ball betting.....
Sugar House seems to be the most trendy. Not sure about the others though.

A week without a post... probably the longest I've seen it go. 

But the NBA is too damn exciting right now for me to be able to get into NFL mode yet.

chicky and Pete's by the stadium was fun. one year is good enough, but we had a good time

i got a subscription to the athletic when they brought on some good MMA guys too. i'm sure it isn't in great taste to post from paid subscriptions, but honestly the writers they have there are top notch. anyway, Bo Wulf had a mailbag, and someone wrote in a question about "What if the Eagles never got Chip Kelly?" Definitely a fun question, and here is part of the answer:

Behind door No. 2, the Eagles hire Gus Bradley. Without having to play the most snaps in the league, the Eagles’ defense is better than expected under Bradley. Earl Wolff is never pressured to play through an injury that would end his career and the Eagles never sign Malcolm Jenkins. Michael Vick stays healthy, DeSean Jackson is never traded and the Eagles win the NFC East in Bradley’s first season. But after two disappointing follow-up seasons, offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch usurps Bradley as head coach as rumors swirl about Roseman pulling the strings for his college roommate. After Vick’s final season, Roseman trades all the way up to the third pick in the 2017 NFL Draft and selects Deshaun Watson as the team’s quarterback of the future. The Eagles make the playoffs in 2017 and 2018 but lose in the playoffs both seasons to Carson Wentz’s Dallas Cowboys.
reading that scenario is probably one of the most horrifying possible answers i have ever seen. Would be fun with Watson vs. Wentz for years, but man it could be disheartening too

modogg said:

chicky and Pete's by the stadium was fun. one year is good enough, but we had a good time
If you've got a 12 team league, a $50 per team split gets you a suite for 4 hours at the Linc that includes food, booze and an Eagles cheerleader as your hostess. 

If you've got a 12 team league, a $50 per team split gets you a suite for 4 hours at the Linc that includes food, booze and an Eagles cheerleader as your hostess. 
we did that one year as well I think it was the time the Eagles had an away pre-season game. I was unfortunately too tipsy for that one to remember the specifics

Users who are viewing this thread