What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2019 Philadelphia Eagles Thread* - Season's over; Go Away Now... (3 Viewers)

I chalk these up to:

”If true, we would have heard a while ago”

He has training sessions and team bonding trips and everyone seems to attend. And some of the stuff mentioned is what I want my QB ago be like. 
Also if true, then Foles would be signed long term and Wentz traded. Unless watching Foles win last year really did effect him. Going to be a long off-season.

Also if true, then Foles would be signed long term and Wentz traded. Unless watching Foles win last year really did effect him. Going to be a long off-season.
I’m sure we would have heard this way before this guy and all his sources. This sounds like someone trying to up thier followers to me.  

Fletcher Cox just now:

Reading through this Carson Wentz thing and as a leader on this team none of that is true Carson is a great teammate and great player we are all behind him 100% he’s our guy and will come back and prove the world wrong. If you got a problem feel free to @ me I’ll respond

Has anyone heard of a Philly beat reporter named Joe Santoliquito before?

No...until this BS.

Another reporter trying to make a name for himself with a "sources" scoop.  What trash.

Exactly.  I knew it wouldn't take his teammates long to call this story bull ####.  There's no way players on this eagles team would take this stuff outside of the locker room. Especially to some ham & egg reporter.
This dude is more of a Pop tart and gas station coffee kind of reporter.

Actually if you read between the lines, it makes sense.  

Was Ertz over targeted - yes

Was Wentz not at 100% and it impacted his game - yes

So take those basic concepts and spin the thoughts in a different direction and you have a story like this.  

Actually if you read between the lines, it makes sense.  

Was Ertz over targeted - yes

Was Wentz not at 100% and it impacted his game - yes

So take those basic concepts and spin the thoughts in a different direction and you have a story like this.  
The part that is fake news is that 6 teammates came forward to say Wentz is selfish. As if they're going to go to Joe Santoliquito.  Who no one has ever heard of. Why not go anonymously to Reuben Frank or Jeff McLane?    I'm glad Cox and Brooks rushed right out to say this is all bull ####.

The part that is fake news is that 6 teammates came forward to say Wentz is selfish. As if they're going to go to Joe Santoliquito.  Who no one has ever heard of. Why not go anonymously to Reuben Frank or Jeff McLane?    I'm glad Cox and Brooks rushed right out to say this is all bull ####.
Article didn't say that.

Over the past two months, PhillyVoice spoke with more than a half dozen players, plus other sources close to the team, who all requested to remain anonymous — fearing repercussions given Wentz' power within the organization. 

I spoke to 6 Democratic Senators and other sources....

Trump is a great president according to sources.

Article didn't say that.

Over the past two months, PhillyVoice spoke with more than a half dozen players, plus other sources close to the team, who all requested to remain anonymous — fearing repercussions given Wentz' power within the organization. 

I spoke to 6 Democratic Senators and other sources....

Trump is a great president according to sources.
Fletcher Cox, Brandon Brooks, Lane Johnson, and Zach Ertz have all come out this morning to say this article is total bull####.  Hopefully, nobody was gullible to think that a story by Joe Santoliquito (a person no one in Philly has ever even heard of) was true.  The Eagles have some great beat writers like Jeff McLane and Rueben Frank who know the insides and outs of this team and locker room.  Believe me, no players ot members of the organization are going to Joe freaking Santoliquito.  Just a nobody trying to make a name for himself.

Yeah, them going to this guy over other writers with this type of “bombshell” is odd to say the least. Basically saying all of what you see from Wentz in interviews and on the sidelines is all fake etc. 

Yeah, them going to this guy over other writers with this type of “bombshell” is odd to say the least. Basically saying all of what you see from Wentz in interviews and on the sidelines is all fake etc. 
If anyone is gullible enough to believe this nonsense, I'll bet my paycheck it's the same people who believe we should keep Foles and trade Wentz.  Not because they're believing this clown writer over Wentz' actual teammates, but because it fits their narrative and they're pretending to believe it.

If anyone is gullible enough to believe this nonsense, I'll bet my paycheck it's the same people who believe we should keep Foles and trade Wentz.  Not because they're believing this clown writer over Wentz' actual teammates, but because it fits their narrative and they're pretending to believe it.
Agreed and some of the stuff isn’t necessarily even a knock and would be considered good traits for a QB IMO. 

Add Eskin’s take:

It’s hard to understand how a story like this comes out from someone who is rarely around #Eagles locker room. I’ve tried to think about Eagles players who would  portray Carson Wentz in this way and I can’t come up with any player. @SportsRadioWIP

I chalk these up to:

”If true, we would have heard a while ago”

He has training sessions and team bonding trips and everyone seems to attend. And some of the stuff mentioned is what I want my QB ago be like. 
my only thing with it, is that if it was philly.com I would say the above was true. but phillyvoice is much better at actual reporting and not just trying to get clicks.

Fletcher Cox, Brandon Brooks, Lane Johnson, and Zach Ertz have all come out this morning to say this article is total bull####.  Hopefully, nobody was gullible to think that a story by Joe Santoliquito (a person no one in Philly has ever even heard of) was true.  The Eagles have some great beat writers like Jeff McLane and Rueben Frank who know the insides and outs of this team and locker room.  Believe me, no players ot members of the organization are going to Joe freaking Santoliquito.  Just a nobody trying to make a name for himself.
to be honest, I would like to see something from Jeffrey. No surprise Ertz popped in, but there is no denying that Jeffrey looked much better with Foles back there than Wentz. Easily something they could work on, but to totally dismiss all of it may be short-sighted too.

Not a big deal, unless people make it out to be. Wentz has things he can work on, he is a young kid. I hope he sees the article, doesn't fret over it, and tries to work on some of the things that were minor issues during the year. Figuring out how to get more from your WRs is one. Could very well be the back injury that effected him, but still something could be developed there.

and Spike was also the big one making a big deal out of Jeffrey going to the Sixers game with Sudfeld, and why not Wentz. Guy can be a bit goofy
I don't follow much of that type of stuff.  I know we always see Wentz having camps and taking teammates hunting etc and there's always a ton of players.  If this were as bad as the writer implies I don't think we would see that kind of turnout. For instance a guy like Rodgers is the one who instantly comes to mind but those reports were there from day 1, he comes off that way and his own family wants nothing to do with him.  If Wentz was like what the writer suggested I think it would have came out much sooner, IMO anyway.

You have all the major players for the most part coming right out and bashing the writer.  A writer that Eskin says is barely around the team yet has a flock of people coming to him with this is very suspect.  Maybe there's some minor truths but I think the writer really swung for he fences and wants his name out there.

to be honest, I would like to see something from Jeffrey. No surprise Ertz popped in, but there is no denying that Jeffrey looked much better with Foles back there than Wentz. Easily something they could work on, but to totally dismiss all of it may be short-sighted too.

Not a big deal, unless people make it out to be. Wentz has things he can work on, he is a young kid. I hope he sees the article, doesn't fret over it, and tries to work on some of the things that were minor issues during the year. Figuring out how to get more from your WRs is one. Could very well be the back injury that effected him, but still something could be developed there.
Since Wentz'-use of Ertz and under-use of his receivers wasn't a problem in his first two years, I write it off as a result of the combination of no offseason or training camp to work on timing with his receivers, and getting antsy when pressure was closing in and considering Ertz to be his security blanket.   I definitely agree that it was a problem at times this past season.  I'm hoping that having a healthy offseason and him witnessing the difference with Foles spreading it around more will make it a non-issue going forward.

I don't follow much of that type of stuff.  I know we always see Wentz having camps and taking teammates hunting etc and there's always a ton of players.  If this were as bad as the writer implies I don't think we would see that kind of turnout. For instance a guy like Rodgers is the one who instantly comes to mind but those reports were there from day 1, he comes off that way and his own family wants nothing to do with him.  If Wentz was like what the writer suggested I think it would have came out much sooner, IMO anyway.

You have all the major players for the most part coming right out and bashing the writer.  A writer that Eskin says is barely around the team yet has a flock of people coming to him with this is very suspect.  Maybe there's some minor truths but I think the writer really swung for he fences and wants his name out there.
Well, it worked to some degree.  I've never heard of the guy and now I have.

reading the article, I got the impression that the title talked about Wentz to get people to click and read, but the actual news in the story reflected more on how Reich and DeFelipo were able to work with Wentz and maximize, and Groh and Wentz had more struggles with working on offensive game planning.

I'll try one more time...what in the article that was negative was attributed to a player?  He could have talked to 6 players and me and still say sources say Wentz is a weinerhead.  Agree the article sucks, but you guys are making it out into something it isn't.  

Ya I'm pretty sure he read the article.  Players all the time say they don't read media or anything, but if a bunch of linemen already have read the article, I'm sure Carson has too.  Even if everything in the article was BS (I'm assuming 90% of it is, but there could be some truth to 10% of it), then reading it will only make him a better teammate and harder worker and at least aware of some things that could potentially be looked negative upon for ANY qb in the league.

Since Wentz'-use of Ertz and under-use of his receivers wasn't a problem in his first two years, I write it off as a result of the combination of no offseason or training camp to work on timing with his receivers, and getting antsy when pressure was closing in and considering Ertz to be his security blanket.   I definitely agree that it was a problem at times this past season.  I'm hoping that having a healthy offseason and him witnessing the difference with Foles spreading it around more will make it a non-issue going forward.
Gentlemen, I think we just found our source...

I'll try one more time...what in the article that was negative was attributed to a player?  He could have talked to 6 players and me and still say sources say Wentz is a weinerhead.  Agree the article sucks, but you guys are making it out into something it isn't.  
I think the article is highly suggesting that ALL 6 players, AND other sources were in agreement over this.  And that likely more were as well.  It was definitely written with an underlying theme, and to paint a negative picture.

But I agree, it might have been ONE person saying some of this stuff (we earlier in the year heard the same stuff about Ertz being overtargetted and we assumed it was Alshon), and everyone else could have said good things... but the way it's written suggests it was many with that POV.

I think the article is highly suggesting that ALL 6 players, AND other sources were in agreement over this.  And that likely more were as well.  It was definitely written with an underlying theme, and to paint a negative picture.

But I agree, it might have been ONE person saying some of this stuff (we earlier in the year heard the same stuff about Ertz being overtargetted and we assumed it was Alshon), and everyone else could have said good things... but the way it's written suggests it was many with that POV.
It certainly can be read that way.  Could very be be the 6 players said Wentz and Foles get along great, a WR said Ertz was over targeted, a couple of players said Wentz was really confident (which every NFL QB is otherwise they wouldn't be there), and the rest of the sources had various conspiracy theories that make for better reading.

I may be misunderstanding you...Are you saying that even though the writer mentions talking to players, who wanted to remain anonymous, that the players maybe didn't say what the writer is suggesting?  

This. I don't know how you can read that and come away with what @BassNBrew is suggesting

I did my best to speed read through that so caught a few things. 

Almost everything you said has no basis and is an extreme exaggeration.  I'm pretty sure many of the Eagles players (and players from any team in the league) have cheated on their significant others as well.  I absolutely don't condone that, but seems like a weird thing to call a single player out for.  The way he kisses his son is creepy? lol.

Again, I do not think they got a playoff birth any of those years because of their division.  If they can routinely make it to the Super Bowl, then their playoff birth is warranted.  I really don't understand the hate.  For their success, they could be 1000X worse.  They seem to have a lot of respect for their opponents, teammates, and have one of the best cultures in the league.  Nothing but respect for those guys and I hope they beat the Rams badly.
They are incredible sore losers when they don't get their way. Brady not shaking hands after the SB? Brady does it a lot. Like I said earlier I agree a lot of what Lane Johnson said about them. I'm also sick and tired of guys like Rodney Harrison complaining on TV when his former team suffers an ounce of criticism even when the critique is warranted. It's just the whole they come off as incredible smug and all. I think their acts in the media are completely two faced for lack of a better word. 

I may be misunderstanding you...Are you saying that even though the writer mentions talking to players, who wanted to remain anonymous, that the players maybe didn't say what the writer is suggesting?  
Yup.  The writer talked to two groups of people.  1) half a dozen players AND 2) other sources.  I sure the players said some things that were mostly good and other sources said more negative things.  Writer combine them all into one article and never cited who (Players OR other sources) said what particular item.

Love'em or Hate'em the Pats just know how to get things done.  Brady and Bellicheck GOAT.

The no PI call was the worst no call in NFL history.  Saints got robbed.  But if it had to happen to someone I am happy it happened to Shawn Payton 😁

Karma (or is it Kamara?) is a ##### Shawn.
I think its funny how everyone will talk about that call but I think the "there was no clear recovery on the fumble" in the Eagles/Cowboys game was just as bad and probably changed the momentum of the game but no one will talk about it and over analyze it because not all the eyes were on that game. Yeah the Saints got a bad call but the refs bailed them out on a coupe of occasions last week against us. There was illegal hands to the face and holding in the EZ by NO lineman on the phantom Penalty against us that eventually led to a TD. THe Saints literally held blatantly on every play. Golden Tate didn't get the PI call. #### happens and the refs have been terrible all year. But guess what the Refs missed a facemask on NO against Goff the drive before that makes it 1st and goal maybe leads to a rams TD and we don't go to OT. Maybe Payton shouldn't have gotten cute with the pass on 1st down either that was incomplete. Either way the screw job couldn't have happened to a better guy or team not named Dal or NE. I've thought Payton was the most overrated coach for yrs now in this league. You have Brees and that offense and you have only been to 1 SB? the media acts like the dude is a god. F him and F the Saints. 

You guys realize that I could talk to six players who say Wentz is the greatest teammate ever and then read this this thread to get the opinion of JuniorNB and Demon from the internet for other sources and then write a totally accurate article that reads however I want it to read to grab clicks.

I think its funny how everyone will talk about that call but I think the "there was no clear recovery on the fumble" in the Eagles/Cowboys game was just as bad and probably changed the momentum of the game but no one will talk about it and over analyze it because not all the eyes were on that game. Yeah the Saints got a bad call but the refs bailed them out on a coupe of occasions last week against us. There was illegal hands to the face and holding in the EZ by NO lineman on the phantom Penalty against us that eventually led to a TD. THe Saints literally held blatantly on every play. Golden Tate didn't get the PI call. #### happens and the refs have been terrible all year. But guess what the Refs missed a facemask on NO against Goff the drive before that makes it 1st and goal maybe leads to a rams TD and we don't go to OT. Maybe Payton shouldn't have gotten cute with the pass on 1st down either that was incomplete. Either way the screw job couldn't have happened to a better guy or team not named Dal or NE. I've thought Payton was the most overrated coach for yrs now in this league. You have Brees and that offense and you have only been to 1 SB? the media acts like the dude is a god. F him and F the Saints. 
I talked to a half dozen Saints players and other sources.  Working on an article about how Payton underachieved his whole career and is a crappy play caller.

I've thought Payton was the most overrated coach for yrs now in this league. You have Brees and that offense and you have only been to 1 SB?
Man, I hate takes like this.

1. He is a good/great coach
  2. Besides the QB there's 23 other guys including the kicker and punter.  More if you include long snapper and nickel/dime DB's....anyway, my point is that maybe...just MAYBE he only made one SB was because the TEAM wasn't good enough.  Not just one guy and one coach
  3. You and anyone who hates the Saints can be glad they lost but they got jobbed in that game.

You guys realize that I could talk to six players who say Wentz is the greatest teammate ever and then read this this thread to get the opinion of JuniorNB and Demon from the internet for other sources and then write a totally accurate article that reads however I want it to read to grab clicks.
Agreed and which is what I think I said was the intention of the writer initially.

Ya I think we're both saying the same thing... that there's inconsistencies in the article in which it is trying to paint a far worse picture than is actually the case.  The writer certainly is blending 'players' and 'sources' in order for the reader to think the players actually said those things... when in fact (like you said), it could just have been one 'source' that said the negative things, and "TECHNICALLY", saying "players and sources told us X" would be correct.  Bad writing.

Users who are viewing this thread